5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 fuel pump question!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:25 PM

2003 fuel pump question!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys I have a question about fuel pump on my Maxima,I want to replace it just due to age and mileage not because it won't perform or anything,so my question is what's my best choice get the denso or walbro or what do you guys prefer/recommend and also what LPH should it be!
Thanks again guys.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 PM

Denso is pretty good, but if it aint broke dont fix it. I'd leave it alone.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Ain't broke but I just want to prevent broke down car and I'm ocd when it comes down to my cars,is any others would chime in on this fuel pump deal?
But anyways thanks Roblee
Old 02-21-2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Maxima
Ain't broke but I just want to prevent broke down car and I'm ocd when it comes down to my cars,is any others would chime in on this fuel pump deal?
But anyways thanks Roblee
How many miles on the pump?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:07 PM

Honestly, I think it would be money wasted.

It's extremely rare for the fuel pumps on these cars to fail even after several hundred thousand miles. The pump from Ni$$an is expensive and I don't know if an aftermarket would be an upgrade or not.

I have two Maximas. One with 200,000 and the other with 300,000. Both are on the original pumps with no issues. The 300,000 mile car is still on the original filter.

Do a search here in the 5th gen forums. I doubt you'd find more than a handfull of failed fuel pump threads if even that. You'll find some where it's suspected but it always turns out to be something else.

If anything is going to leave you stranded it's going to be the MAF or one of the other sensors. Maybe the throttle body on an 02 or 03.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:37 AM

It has 245k on the clock
Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mints33
How many miles on the pump?
245k miles on the clock
Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 AM

And Derrick I did replace my fuel filter and current pump is quite and all but was just trying to prevent a broke down situation
Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 AM

If you're looking to spend money, do it on more pertinent things. At 245K, your suspension and rubber components are probably done. When's the last time you did a tune up and changed all your fluids?

Keep an eye on the pattern failures with these cars -- seized calipers, HP PS hose, engine mounts that fry the ECU, radiator, etc.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM

Mclasser my both Maximas suspension is been replaced with upgraded bushings,tie rods,sway bar end links,plugs,water pump,tensioner,new upgraded alternator,new lights,new shocks/springs you name it I've done it my self-except fuel pump,�� But thanks for the recommendations though!And car runs like a champ but I am ocd with my cars,so that's why I was asking about the fuel pump so that way I now which brand maxima people prefer in our cars!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:43 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

I replaced mines with a walbro fuel pump trimmed the 2 small towers on top since the 5.5 walbro won't fit unless you trim the towers, also threw in a fuel filter and I tell ya, the difference is night and day throttle, filter was black my 02 has 216k on body 40k on 08 engine and 0 miles on tranny.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

... I am ocd with my cars...
Not to aggravate your OCD or anything, but a regular diet of TC-W3 is good and will lubricate your entire fuel system, including the fuel pump and especially the injectors. It'll also make your car run quieter and smoother, not to mention restore your mpgs to OEM if your car feels a bit thirstier than normal.

Like I said, not to encourage your OCD or anything

https://maxima.org/forums/fluids-lub...itive-new.html
Old 02-23-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JonBlz
I replaced mines with a walbro fuel pump trimmed the 2 small towers on top since the 5.5 walbro won't fit unless you trim the towers, also threw in a fuel filter and I tell ya, the difference is night and day throttle, filter was black my 02 has 216k on body 40k on 08 engine and 0 miles on tranny.
Good to know that,I'm just afraid that the walbro will make more pressure and that'll cause some issues like the old fpr getting tired and such!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Not to aggravate your OCD or anything, but a regular diet of TC-W3 is good and will lubricate your entire fuel system, including the fuel pump and especially the injectors. It'll also make your car run quieter and smoother, not to mention restore your mpgs to OEM if your car feels a bit thirstier than normal.

Like I said, not to encourage your OCD or anything

https://maxima.org/forums/fluids-lub...itive-new.html
Not at all man,but yeah I've been running the synthetic formula tc oil on few tanks-not every tank but I can't seems to get a clear answer reading through threads about the tc oil in gas?
Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 AM

Not at all man,but yeah I've been running the synthetic formula tc oil on few tanks-not every tank but I can't seems to get a clear answer reading through threads about the tc oil in gas?
You have to keep in mind that the amount of TC you put in is fantastically small. For an 18 gallon tank, you put somewhere around 4 ounces into the tank. In other words, that 4 ounces is added to the 2304 ounces of fuel already been in the tank.

A worry I might have would be the long term effects on emissions, like the catalytic converters. If you read the many threads, you'll see that it has been tested for a long time. And, because it cleans up everything along the fuel lines, including the injectors, your car is running at its best, so it might actually make all your emissions stuff last longer.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:59 AM

You have to keep in mind that the amount of TC you put in is fantastically small. For an 18 gallon tank, you put somewhere around 4 ounces into the tank. In other words, that 4 ounces is added to the 2304 ounces of fuel already been in the tank.

A worry I might have would be the long term effects on emissions, like the catalytic converters. If you read the many threads, you'll see that it has been tested for a long time. And, because it cleans up everything along the fuel lines, including the injectors, your car is running at its best, so it might actually make all your emissions stuff last longer.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi

Yeah I've been using 3 ounces per fill up and like a said not every tank though-and my question is should I use it every tank or should I use it once every oil change?Thanks Dwapenyi
Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 AM

Yeah I've been using 3 ounces per fill up and like a said not every tank though-and my question is should I use it every tank or should I use it once every oil change?Thanks Dwapenyi
Every tank. I've been lazy sometimes and skipped a few fillings. The effect wears off very slowly, so skipping a tank or 2 or 3 is no biggie.