5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has any one else installed H&R springs on 00-03???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:40 AM

I though it was supposed to be an even wheel gap? what is the stock center of the wheel to the bottom of the lip supposed to be for front and back?

Here is what i expected with my H&Rs.

http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html

What I got, the center of the wheel to the H&Rs.

look here: http://imgur.com/a/aBFKc

Last edited by cdoublejj; 05-25-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj

I though it was supposed to be an even wheel gap? what is the stock center of the wheel to the bottom of the lip supposed to be for front and back?

Here is what i expected with my H&Rs.

http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html

What I got, the center of the wheel to the H&Rs.

http://imgur.com/a/aBFKc

the tape measure photos are pointless that wasn't a flat or level surface.

EDIT: KYB G2R struts.
I have the h&r springs with kyb struts too. Ride was a little bouncer than I liked at first but have grown to really like how it drives. Yes the front is up about a 1/2" or so higher than it needs to be(it's like a stock stance but a little lower) . I too thought it was going to be even front and rear but it's not.

Last edited by losifanatic; 05-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 AM

the pics on the shiftice site make it look like the front is higher too
Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Did you do fronts and rears?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 AM

i did fronts and rear the front sits just over 1 whole inch higher than the rear. i'm thinking i'll have to cut part of the spring or get different springs. H&R seems to say anything they can to get out of any kind of warranty. i'm going to replace the entire front suspension since it's worn and will see if i still have my old struts to check the perch height. it has been 2 months since the swap with lots of driving.

if that and matching tires doesn't help and they won't honor it all i can do is look and see if the very tip of the spring can be pulled back a lil bit so it's sits lower.

EDIT: fronts and rears all the way around KYB G2Rs and H&Rs, rubbers and mounts, brackets and bearings all of it brand spanking new. could of bought Tien coil overs for not much more.

Name:  Legs0Ah.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  1,003.1 KB

Last edited by cdoublejj; 05-24-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:47 AM

That's the problem. With both front and rear H/R springs that is how the car will sit, front will be higher than the rear. Replace the rear springs with stock springs and your car will sit level.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 AM

whats the deal with the the other guys' and the shift ice is everyone else just using the fronts only? that's lame no one said squat about about high the fronts sit or that they are only a .4" drop. they are advertised as a 1.4" drop but over stock it's measure only .4" lower on the front and i don't mean over my old springs, i've told the stock measurement is 15" if my memory recalls correctly and the measurement shows 14.6" with H&R.

No i see why the other guy in facebook maxima club just threw the H&Rs away and got coil overs and ate the cost, what a bunch of garbage. i bet they aren't even made in Germany any more.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:18 PM

Damn your car doesn't even look dropped!!!
Here's my before and after on tein I only used the front because I don't like the azz sagging look
Name:  CAM00286_zps0vu8iwh3.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  218.2 KB Name:  CAM00287_zpspfk8ccrb.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  280.9 KB
The most even drop it's the progress springs! There are some on the classified sec!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 PM

I have H/R front springs and stock rear springs

Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Damn your car doesn't even look dropped!!!
Here's my before and after on tein I only used the front because I don't like the azz sagging look

The most even drop it's the progress springs! There are some on the classified sec!
IT DIDN'T!!! I measured only 0.4"! less than half a inch drop and folks keep saying that's normal. which is true if needs to break in /settled and it's been 2 months.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM

IT DIDN'T!!! I measured only 0.4"! less than half a inch drop and folks keep saying that's normal. which is true if needs to break in /settled and it's been 2 months.
I have 2 03 maxima SEs one with h&r springs and one stock. I only have a .4 to .5 drop from the other one. Drop wasn't what I was expecting but I do like the ride better and the fact that it has 10x less body roll. Oh and bumps don't pull the steering wheel as much.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM

I have this combo and I like the drop. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 PM

Perhaps the force can bring the suspension yoda to your thread to chime in!

Something don't look right,I bet you feel like you could have kept it stock is it was gonna ride that high!
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 AM

I'll admit that the OP's drop looks lacking, but perhaps it's perspective? Sounds odd, but sometimes I see my car even now and think I'm still floating, and other times it looks just right. I guess in this decade, it's extremely trendy to have tucked tires/wheels and it just makes everything else look crazy high.

You could always mount some cinder blocks under the hood for some added drop.

My H&R w/ KYBs have about 10k on them - though I do have a little extra weight under the hood. I can't go lower anymore either, so I gotta learn to love the drop. I honestly think it looks a tad lower than it did when I first installed them, so maybe it takes a little time.

Last edited by Cotozic; 05-25-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:07 AM

something is off in this pic, this is not how a normal H&R drop looks. either grade, angle of picture, or rear suspension issues..

and on paper the H&R drop is not an 1inch difference , check out shift ice IIRC it was 1.4 Front and 1.7 rear

i have been on H&R / Illuminas for 110k miles
Old 05-25-2016, 06:32 AM

vogtland springs w/kyb gr-2

i looked into the h&r springs. glad i settled on the vogtland.
Attached Thumbnails Has any one else installed H&R springs on 00-03???-20160525_072346.jpg  
Old 05-25-2016, 06:46 AM

its all perception and angles,

Name:  0228161346a_zpseltz2qsu.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  252.8 KB

H&R here with 10mm spacer - oem wheel and tire size

old pic with old 225-40 tires on 18x7.5 i have 235-45 now and love em
Name:  102_0486.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  241.0 KB
showing more realistic H&R drop, i am not denying the saggy *** but its not as bad as some may thinkg
Old 05-25-2016, 06:53 AM

i believe that is the new 235-45-18 tire
sad i havent taken any pics of my car in a while it seems.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by losifanatic
I have 2 03 maxima SEs one with h&r springs and one stock. I only have a .4 to .5 drop from the other one. Drop wasn't what I was expecting but I do like the ride better and the fact that it has 10x less body roll. Oh and bumps don't pull the steering wheel as much.
I think it's BS because the H&Rs are advertised as 1.4" drop in the front. if you have H&Rs springs you're not the only one. another guys on the facebook maxima club complained about the same issue with H&R springs.

Originally Posted by Cotozic
I'll admit that the OP's drop looks lacking, but perhaps it's perspective? Sounds odd, but sometimes I see my car even now and think I'm still floating, and other times it looks just right. I guess in this decade, it's extremely trendy to have tucked tires/wheels and it just makes everything else look crazy high.

You could always mount some cinder blocks under the hood for some added drop.

My H&R w/ KYBs have about 10k on them - though I do have a little extra weight under the hood. I can't go lower anymore either, so I gotta learn to love the drop. I honestly think it looks a tad lower than it did when I first installed them, so maybe it takes a little time.
bud, i realized not all surfaces are level i took photos form more than one location i physically measure the center wheel to fender lip on flat level surface. the bottom of the frame of the car sits higher from the ground than the rear.

what your talking about is parking on an uneven surface so the A arm/suspension flexes and changes the wheel gap on side of the card

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
something is off in this pic, this is not how a normal H&R drop looks. either grade, angle of picture, or rear suspension issues..

and on paper the H&R drop is not an 1inch difference , check out shift ice IIRC it was 1.4 Front and 1.7 rear

i have been on H&R / Illuminas for 110k miles

as you can see it's notable difference in all photos. the wheel gaps are almost double in all photos.

Originally Posted by 5thgendriver
i looked into the h&r springs. glad i settled on the vogtland.
If I had known that before hand. people here had good things to say about H&R but, honestly not so good.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Perhaps the force can bring the suspension yoda to your thread to chime in!
Hi guys
Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Suspension Yoda

Ok, I read through the entire thread and looked at every picture.

OP - do you have before measurements of your car from floor to center/top of fender wheel arch?

Can you please post current/after measurements of the same? Frame measurements to floor are useless.

Are you stock engine?
Auto or manual?
Are you empty in the trunk?
Were your H&R springs new?
Who installed the suspension?
Are you sure everything is installed properly?
...Are you REALLY REALLY SURE everything is installed properly?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Ok, I read through the entire thread and looked at every picture.

OP - do you have before measurements of your car from floor to center/top of fender wheel arch?

Can you please post current/after measurements of the same? Frame measurements to floor are useless.

Are you stock engine?
Auto or manual?
Are you empty in the trunk?
Were your H&R springs new?
Who installed the suspension?
Are you sure everything is installed properly?
...Are you REALLY REALLY SURE everything is installed properly?
stock 3L.
Auto
90 lbs Let me just note it's not sagging! it dropped to the advertised ride height.
New in sealed box. Never touched
My dad. and a family member, 40 years experience each, certified ASE. have done countless strut replacements for decades.

Only thing I can thing of is KYB messed up the perch the height.

Can you tell me what stock ride height, center to lip should be? I was given a number but, forgot. I didn't know i needed to measure the before.

I can get the current. i checked a month ago and it was 1" off
Old 05-26-2016, 05:41 AM

yes H&R rides probably best than most lowering springs for this car, looks not so much... but function over aesthetics.

droping it past 1.5 on reg springs ruins the suspension dynamic on this car...

i feel your pain, but the springs ride great, i need to feel some other set ups but i dont have any complaints other than lacking pefect stance looks.

110k miles on this set up....
Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Suspension Yoda

90 lbs Let me just note it's not sagging! it dropped to the advertised ride height.
Hmm, wonder if this is biasing the drop and making it look unbalanced.

Only thing I can thing of is KYB messed up the perch the height.
This I've never seen. BUT if you ordered, were shipped, or installed the wrong part, perhaps. Did the springs seem either very easy or very hard to compress? Did you do a visual compare of old vs new strut? Validate the part numbers real quick please.

Can you tell me what stock ride height, center to lip should be? I was given a number but, forgot. I didn't know i needed to measure the before.

I can get the current. i checked a month ago and it was 1" off
The ShiftIce page has all the measurements, including OEM. Post up your variances.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:39 PM

Here's a bulletin they released out on the rear end bottoming out. 2001-2002 Maxima's My question is does H&R give you the updated rear springs when you order?
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-056.pdf
Old 05-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Suspension Yoda

Completely irrelevant. The bulletin is to replace the spring. OEM. How does that apply when you're installing H&R springs?
Old 05-27-2016, 03:49 PM

The spring companies usually use the OEM specs when designing them for vehicle specific.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:26 PM

Irrelevant the rear springs dropped CORRECTLY it's the front that is at stock ride height minus a half inch.

Hmm, wonder if this is biasing the drop and making it look unbalanced.

This I've never seen. BUT if you ordered, were shipped, or installed the wrong part, perhaps. Did the springs seem either very easy or very hard to compress? Did you do a visual compare of old vs new strut? Validate the part numbers real quick please.

The ShiftIce page has all the measurements, including OEM. Post up your variances.
that would be messed up if 90 lbs made the car car sag but i'l point out that the rear end looks lower because it dropped the advertised drop and the front did not drop. the 90 lbs made no change.

I called H&R and verified the numbers on the spring to make sure there were no mix ups.

shift ice doesn't list any thing it just say 28" so in that case my car dropped fifteen inches in the front.

my front center wheel to lip 14-3/4" my rear is 13.5" center wheel to lip. i will ask on the maxima facebook group what center wheel to fender lip is on stock maxima

Last edited by cdoublejj; 05-28-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:58 AM

Irrelevant the rear springs dropped CORRECTLY it's the front that is at stock ride height minus a half inch.

that would be messed up if 90 lbs made the car car sag but i'l point out that the rear end looks lower because it dropped the advertised drop and the front did not drop. the 90 lbs made no change.

I called H&R and verified the numbers on the spring to make sure there were no mix ups.

shift ice doesn't list any thing it just say 28" so in that case my car dropped fifteen inches in the front.

my front center wheel to lip 14-3/4" my rear is 13.5" center wheel to lip. i will ask on the maxima facebook group what center wheel to fender lip is on stock maxima
The measurements are from the ground to the wheel arch taken at the centre of the wheel - not from the wheel centre hub to the wheel arch.

Just a misunderstanding.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM

OK I just measured both of my cars

H&R springs, 245/40/18 tires and 6 speed manual.
27 up front and 26 3/4 rear.

Now there is a 1 inch difference from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well. Back of course is 1 inch lower. So from the wheel well to the ground it's pretty close to even but from the top of the tire to the wheel well rim is a different story.

Stock 03 max with stock rims and tires and it's an auto trans.

27.5 up front and 26 3/4 rear.

Both cars are empty. No extra junk in the car nor anything in the trunk other than the spare tire and jack.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by maximatech12
The spring companies usually use the OEM specs when designing them for vehicle specific.
Yes, they do, as a baseline / input. Then they modify coil size and spring rate to make their lowered springs.

So I'm fairly certain the smart German engineers at H&R realized an issue with the OEM spring rates and fixed their products accordingly.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Suspension Yoda

Mate, need GROUND to top of fender measurement please, not center of wheel. You need to take the right measurements, not ask others (who all have different wheels, aftermarket etc) to take wrong measurements.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 AM

So does any other max owners have the pics of the car with Nissan USA rear springs and H&R front springs?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:43 PM

Mate, need GROUND to top of fender measurement please, not center of wheel. You need to take the right measurements, not ask others (who all have different wheels, aftermarket etc) to take wrong measurements.

center of the wheel is spindel, this is recommended measurement form H&R if any thing wheel lip to ground is just as reliable or unreliable if the ground isn't perfectly flat and level. or so one would thing unless they have after market suspension parts i don't know about.

i'll try and find some place suitable for the measurement but, it's still gonna be inch + difference since the front didn't drop.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:21 PM

it's not perfect surface but, i got the flatest most level area of a paved driveway.

driver front
Name:  iQxu1V3.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  340.4 KB

driver front
Name:  kNnn4Az.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  636.0 KB

driver rear
Name:  FSOiwA6.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  344.5 KB

pass front
Name:  3PfNNuJ.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  389.2 KB

pass rear
Name:  zCL75Fd.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  481.3 KB

album
http://imgur.com/a/g8gJt

27" an 25" that's a 2 inch difference on a not so level surface. Still 28 - 1.4 = 26.6 so it looks like it's still an inch off. in the end what it's matter? they won't replace the springs even i can proove they are funky. technically that's 1" drop in the front. ultimatley i'll likley cut the front springs with some one who deals with springs. or get coil overs. frustrating for sure. it sits funky for sure. either way H&Rs aren't what folks say they are.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 05-30-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 AM
Suspension Yoda

Don't think you answered this one from before -

You sure you ordered the right strut parts numbers? Further, if the right part # was on the box, did you compare the OEM strut to the new strut? Perhaps what you mentioned re: perch height is something to pursue.

either way H&Rs aren't what folks say they are.
I understand your frustration, but this seems like a gross generalization, don't you think? Thousands of Maxima owners have installed H&R springs with agreeable results. Your situation is an outlier and we're all trying to help you figure out why.

Also, I would try to find the problem rather than cut a set of new springs.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 AM

its gotta be something, was the car in any collisions? , maybe the springs you have are just really duds... this is hard to say, what is your oem/wheel and tire size?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:55 PM

Don't think you answered this one from before -

You sure you ordered the right strut parts numbers? Further, if the right part # was on the box, did you compare the OEM strut to the new strut? Perhaps what you mentioned re: perch height is something to pursue.

I understand your frustration, but this seems like a gross generalization, don't you think? Thousands of Maxima owners have installed H&R springs with agreeable results. Your situation is an outlier and we're all trying to help you figure out why.

Also, I would try to find the problem rather than cut a set of new springs.
Out of a few thousands springs manufactures a 0.1% failure rate is 3. There are failures in manufacturing process sometimes no one factory makes every single product perfect. so if there was an issue in the heat treatment or coiling process, say one of the machine starts acting up... well you get the idea.

That's also the point why all these successes and failure. the spring sets the ride height.

Also the whole thing that started this was complaint on a maxima club board then i realized my spring were settling.

also one other thing ground to lip isn't the best measurement when you start thinking about the tires.

I'll have to see if the my original struts are still in the scrap bin and even then can i compare them while they are assembled on the car? same goes for the part number if they are even stamped on the strut. sure as hell don't have the boxes and i bought them on rock auto which only gives you limited options so if the screwed up the only way to tell is to see if there is easily viable number on them like the springs that can be seen with taking the car apart again.

A good point! the other guy who had the same issue seemed pretty happy after he bought the coil overs. so for all the trouble of taking the car apart i could cut the springs or install coil overs like i should have. struts and springs add up $ quick.

There's question if that car was smashed real good what could happen to it that would cause it ride like that.

also lets note it did not look this with stock springs and struts. another possible scenario is that i'm still lacking .6" drop up front and the rear springs ride low and un even like every one is saying with that extra 90 lbs in the back so it's accentuated?

One things i learned the hardway that i've learned the hard way before is go big or go home for the money i could have coil over which are adjustable. problem with that is i sure as hell can't re sell these struts and springs but ,the car ride like it with coil overs or another new set springs i'd be narrowed down the frame or struts.

Some of the stuff i'm looking at my might be stuff mechanic as already considered he can do this stuff in his sleep. i'll talk with him some more. at this point it seems like it's spring, struts or the car.

...Have I lost my mind yet guys?

EDIT: does any one know the forums log you out after 5 minutes, every minutes? is this for anti spam? Also I apologize if i'm being rude or coming off as such.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 05-31-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 AM

sorry for your troubles, in hindsight 110k miles later on H&R... I wonder where coils would have taken me. on year two i regretted not going with TIEN SS ,i felt like you, shoulda went all the way, each to each thier own, once i got over my regret i was over all happy in the long run. but its a never ending debate, it was a lot easier replacing two struts on year 7, than two coils on a daily driver and paying for in shops as well. i think TEIN changed their models and tiers as well during that time.

keep us posted on what you do
Old 09-28-2018, 08:42 PM

granted the suspension is SHOT there is almost no rubber left in the front it still sits high as heck compared to the back even after i cleaned the trunk. even if the trunk loaded the rear springs don't move that much. we've been talking about cutting the the springs like you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO just not with a torch. i feel every little bump in the road but, i'll have to see how that is with my new motor mounts, suspension and "washer mod" on the sub frame.

also wondering if i can pops work his special interior / seat work and make my front stock seats a little more comfortable but, i also realized they aren't Uncomfortable it's the jostle that gets you. new rubber up front might help but, new poly upfront will also detract.