5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Interested in a Maxima, need Advice before Purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Interested in a Maxima, need Advice before Purchase!

Greetings Maxima owners!

This is my first official thread on the forums.

I wish to purchase a 2001 Maxima Anniversary Edition.

Wanted to know what problems I should look out for in this car, The one im viewing tomorrow has 165,000 km's on the clock. The owner has had the car for over 12-11 Years.

These cars are known for their rust issues. I used to have a Sentra Spec V, which was a great car apart from the pre-cat issues. Does the Maxima have the issue with catalytic converter or pre-cats as well? Sorry I am not well informed about this but my old Sentra had the recall done so I never had to do anything to fix that issue.

I hate rust and being from Calgary, Canada every body shop refuses to the job unless im replacing a whole body panel. My budget is restricted between 2000-3000 CAD so far this is the best deal i have found.

The link below is the advert for the car im interested in.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ion/1172870702

Please let me know what you all think, Thank you!

Last edited by type94; 06-14-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 AM

You'll want to check out the radiator support bar -- just look under the front bumper where the rad mounts and either you'll say "I don't see anything bad" or your head will explode.

I've got that car's snobby sister, the 01 I30. At around 100-120K the car went through menopause or something and ate a whole bunch of sensors. Get yourself an OBD2 code reader if you don't have one. Sensors will start going out, but the codes will tell you exactly which ones, and download a factory service manual to tell you where they are. The good news is that they're usually incredibly easy to replace.

The ad looks good. Winter tires on rim, score there. Wouldn't drive mine without 'em.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM

Original owner of a 128k mile 2000 SE here. It has been a great car so far and I plan to add a few more miles to the odometer.

Here are my experiences:

1. DEFINITELY check the radiator support. My car is in much better condition than average and the support needs some help. (Worth noting - the lower engine cradle bolts to the center of the support and mine has rusted pretty significantly in that area. I am building a support that will run most of the width of the lower support to compensate for the rust.)

2. Check out suspension parts - tie rod ends (especially outer), motor mounts, and suspension bushings. I am in the process of replacing all of these along with the struts and chose to go with poly bushings.

3. I replaced the plugs at 60k miles and coil packs at 80k miles. Other than that and cleaning the MAF sensor, I have not had any problems.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 AM

165,000 kms is low; these cars can easily do over 300k kms when properly maintained.
In addition to the radiator, ask him about coils (did he replace them?) and IACV (read this thread https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...d-seconds.html ).
Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 AM

You might want to look down here in the southern US. You might pay for shipping but we have perfectly rust free cars down here. You could spend thousands fixing rust and only cover up the problem.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replies, I will check for the radiator support/ suspension and Engine cradle bolts. I mean i can live with a bit of rust as long as its safe and not on the exterior.

I have thought of getting a car from a southern state but Canadian dollar is very weak vs the US, so it will be a bit more costly. The only reason this ad caught my attention was due to the fact that the car has a 2nd owner since it had 21,000km and the low mileage.

But I appreciate the quick response, I was interested in an Altima before but most of them are beat down or over priced (2.5L major cat issues) and the Altima forum took for ever to give me a response regarding my questions, almost two weeks for one reply .

Thank you! And Hopefully, hopefully I will be an owner of a 2001 Maxima.
*fingers crossed*
Old 06-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Here is what you may find:

Old 06-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE
Here is what you may find:

Oh my god, That looks scary but lets hope its not like this. Calgary doesn't use salt on its road during winter but either way I will check for sure.

Heard there was a lawsuit in the USA against 2002-2006 Nissan models regarding excessive rust. Great cars to be honest but the rust really hurts the Brands long term value.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:17 PM

The only other place rust is above the driver's rear wheel.

As for the A33 rusting worse than others, around here that is not the case. Any toyota or honda or whatever that has been in this area are rusting the same way. This one has had exceptional care.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Good lists above. I'll also add seized rear calipers and shift solenoids (there was a TSB for this).

Regarding rust, my I35 spent the first 10 yrs of its life in upstate NY. The original owner must've been adamant about keeping the salt off because there isn't a speck of body rust anywhere. The rad support has a little but can probably make it another few years.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:58 PM

I have been under the hoods of 5 A33/A33.5s at a local yard this week. My car looks great compared to those. Next time there I will snap some pics.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:54 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by type94
Oh my god, That looks scary but lets hope its not like this. Calgary doesn't use salt on its road during winter but either way I will check for sure.

Heard there was a lawsuit in the USA against 2002-2006 Nissan models regarding excessive rust. Great cars to be honest but the rust really hurts the Brands long term value.
How so? Hondas have the same rot in the rear, **** transmissions, timing belts, but people think they're made of gold. Nissan never got massive brand recognition in the 80s and 90s like Toyota/Honda did. They've all gone down the crapper comparatively, yet, they're still regarded as reliable lol. Public perception is a joke and is based on 20+ yr old vehicles.

Cars seem to be more disposable than ever. I remember all of the domestic models that were sold 15 yrs ago. Millions of them sold, yet, very few are on the road. They've all been junked. And tards are still buying GM and chryslers like they're awesome. Rust is an afterthought when fools keep buying the same junk over and over.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 06-14-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
How so? Hondas have the same rot in the rear, **** transmissions, timing belts, but people think they're made of gold. Nissan never got massive brand recognition in the 80s and 90s like Toyota/Honda did. They've all gone down the crapper comparatively, yet, they're still regarded as reliable lol. Public perception is a joke and is based on 20+ yr old vehicles.
Was just mentioning it, But I have made a deal on a 2001 Maxima and will be picking it up tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Many have been saying regarding rust thats its just better to change the Fender on passenger front and rear side instead of trying to repair the rust. Where can I find a good deal on 2001 Maxima body parts without paying dealer rates? Even a new hood would be nice.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Sadly, the rear fenders are not a "bolt on" replacement like the fronts are.

That would solve a LOT of anguish and expense when it comes to tinworm attacks.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
Sadly, the rear fenders are not a "bolt on" replacement like the fronts are.

That would solve a LOT of anguish and expense when it comes to tinworm attacks.
Nailed it!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Bad *** Newb

Many have been saying regarding rust thats its just better to change the Fender on passenger front and rear side instead of trying to repair the rust. Where can I find a good deal on 2001 Maxima body parts without paying dealer rates? Even a new hood would be nice.
Take a sawzall to the junkyard.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 AM

Hey fellow Calgarian with a Maxima, your the first I have seen on this sub (Only have been here a couple months and only a month with an account).

For car parts Pick n Pull on Barlow or 52nd will most likely have some good parts. I recently picked up a speed sensor from a I30 for $5 and a hood from a 2001 Maxima for $30 (Mine was a bit rusted and it was easier/cheaper to get a "new" one then repair it, plus it has OEM paint job). http://www.picknpull.com/check_inven...ma&Distance=50.

As for the wheel wells, you should check how deep the rust is as I repaired my front left one before it got out of hand. The rear ones though have to be replaced . Car looks pretty awesome from the kijiji pictures + low KM's, it should last you quite a while.

Last edited by flames101sully; 06-16-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by flames101sully
Hey fellow Calgarian with a Maxima, your the first I have seen on this sub (Only have been here a couple months and only a month with an account).

For car parts Pick n Pull on Barlow or 52nd will most likely have some good parts. I recently picked up a speed sensor from a I30 for $5 and a hood from a 2001 Maxima for $30 (Mine was a bit rusted and it was easier/cheaper to get a "new" one then repair it, plus it has OEM paint job). http://www.picknpull.com/check_inven...ma&Distance=50.

As for the wheel wells, you should check how deep the rust is as I repaired my front left one before it got out of hand. The rear ones though have to be replaced . Car looks pretty awesome from the kijiji pictures + low KM's, it should last you quite a while.
Its also nice to see a fellow Calgarian here. I really like the car but I just cant get past the rust. One needs to sit inside the appreciate the car but from the outside it gives the impression as if its a beater.

I was thinking of pick and pull, I will go there as its on my way from work. Thanks for telling me though, I was not too sure which Junkyard is best in Calgary.

A new hood for me would be nice as well as I got lots of paint chips and dot sized rust spots.

For the rear fenders only one side is pretty bad the other is not on the exterior just under the wheel well. The bad rust is repairable i mean for the time I will keep the car. If you know anything about a shop that can do it without taking the whole thing out that would be nice. I dont plan on keeping the car for too long and I know if repaired the rust will be back soon enough.

I cant seem to upload pictures, Im getting this message after it tries to upload

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."

Any ideas? Each pictures is under 5mb

I have uploaded the pictures here. http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/type_94/library/

One of the body shop asking for 1500-2000 for complete job but I told them it is not in my budget.

Will I be better off getting a new trunk lid from the Junk yard? Thanks

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-16-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:52 PM

Its also nice to see a fellow Calgarian here. I really like the car but I just cant get past the rust. One needs to sit inside the appreciate the car but from the outside it gives the impression as if its a beater.

I was thinking of pick and pull, I will go there as its on my way from work. Thanks for telling me though, I was not too sure which Junkyard is best in Calgary.

A new hood for me would be nice as well as I got lots of paint chips and dot sized rust spots.

For the rear fenders only one side is pretty bad the other is not on the exterior just under the wheel well. The bad rust is repairable i mean for the time I will keep the car. If you know anything about a shop that can do it without taking the whole thing out that would be nice. I dont plan on keeping the car for too long and I know if repaired the rust will be back soon enough.

I cant seem to upload pictures, Im getting this message after it tries to upload

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."

Any ideas? Each pictures is under 5mb

I have uploaded the pictures here. http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/type_94/library/

One of the body shop asking for 1500-2000 for complete job but I told them it is not in my budget.

Will I be better off getting a new trunk lid from the Junk yard? Thanks

Yeah, I have not gone to any body shops as their quotes will most definitely be more than the car is worth (especially with 480,000km). I have seen a couple of 20th Anniversary Edition trunk lids and about a month or two ago I saw one that was in pretty good condition (practically no rust) at the barlow trail pick n pull, not sure if it's still there. Sucks that the rear fenders are so prone to rust, 99% of 5th Gen Maximas I see on the road have them.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by flames101sully
Yeah, I have not gone to any body shops as their quotes will most definitely be more than the car is worth (especially with 480,000km). I have seen a couple of 20th Anniversary Edition trunk lids and about a month or two ago I saw one that was in pretty good condition (practically no rust) at the barlow trail pick n pull, not sure if it's still there. Sucks that the rear fenders are so prone to rust, 99% of 5th Gen Maximas I see on the road have them.
Thats true. I might just resell it for a profit and get one from Southern US states without rust. I dont know at this point, if this doesnt sell then I will replace the 2 front fenders completely (new ones) and have the wheel wells in the rear side done by someone. And yeah a new trunk would be nice
Old 06-17-2016, 03:08 AM

Thats true. I might just resell it for a profit and get one from Southern US states without rust. I dont know at this point, if this doesnt sell then I will replace the 2 front fenders completely (new ones) and have the wheel wells in the rear side done by someone. And yeah a new trunk would be nice

Taking a look at southern U.S maximas and I can't believe how much better condition they are in. I had a friend who was just shocked by how nice it looked when he entered my car, because as you said from the outside it looks like a beater with all the rust. Buying one from the U.S and doing some serious rust prevention is probably the easiest path.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am trying to sell it at the moment so I can try to get one from the US or get a different car altogether, The Rust really bothers me but I guess If I dont end up getting rid of the car I will have to put money in to its body steadily. So far a body shop said for 1600-2000 dollars they can completely make the car mint with guarantee the rust wont return for the next 2-3 years. Being on a budget and part time job I cannot fathom spending $2000 on this car. sadly...
Old 06-23-2016, 04:28 PM

Not worth while now

Most are abused hand-me down cars and in sh8t shape