5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 - Won't Start - No Power - Clicking Sound Under Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 - Won't Start - No Power - Clicking Sound Under Dash

Hi everyone. I'm at a loss and can't seem to find my situation in prior threads. Car is 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE. Here's my problem:

Car won't start, no power at all, battery is fine. When key is out of ignition, I'm hearing a loud clicking sound coming out of a white box under my dash to the left of the center console, but to the right of the flasher relay. I've attached a pic.

When I put the key in the ignition, clicking sound continues. When I turn key to accessory, clicking sound becomes muffled/muted but is still there. When I turn the key to start, the clicking sound goes away completely, but the car won't start.

Thanks for any and all help!!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Does your car have a aftermarket alarm or factory?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Factory.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:33 PM

The box in the photo is called the SECU, short for Smart Entrance Control Unit. It controls all the electronics that are not engine related, such as alarm, windows, door locks, stuff like that.

It is not normal for the SECU to be clicking, nor does that happen very often. I don't know what causes that. Check the fuses under the hood by the battery, especially the 40 amp ones.

When you say there is no power, exactly what do you mean? Can you turn the headlights on? Do the lights in the dash come on when you turn the key on? What about the radio? Do the power windows work? etc, etc, etc.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:32 AM

Does the engine crank? Fuel pump prime?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The box in the photo is called the SECU, short for Smart Entrance Control Unit. It controls all the electronics that are not engine related, such as alarm, windows, door locks, stuff like that.

It is not normal for the SECU to be clicking, nor does that happen very often. I don't know what causes that. Check the fuses under the hood by the battery, especially the 40 amp ones.

When you say there is no power, exactly what do you mean? Can you turn the headlights on? Do the lights in the dash come on when you turn the key on? What about the radio? Do the power windows work? etc, etc, etc.
I have a similar issue that my 02 will start and then next time absolutely no power. I have posted a question about 2 months ago and just the other day. I have a factory alarm. No lights , power, nothing with an exception of security alarm light that blinks even when no power to interior or to start car. No dash lights just dead space. However today I heard the clicking noise out of that white box and pulled the one wire cluster out and clicking noise gone. Still no power. It also lost power on the way home the other day while driving and luckily it started back up and made it home. Never had that happen before but the starting/power issue has been going on and off for a bit. Replaced ignition switch last year and starter about a month ago. Maxiiboy suggested I get a volt meter to put in the cigar lighter and watch the ranges and that is being delivered today. Any thoughts or suggestions what could be causing the car to loose power?