5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Datascan 2 failed ecu connect

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 05:24 PM

Datascan 2 failed ecu connect

I have a 2000 5 speed fed spec and a 2001 gle. Datascan 2 will connect to Glee but not the 5 speed... Inside of ECU looks ok but I know looks can be deceiving...
Old 02-03-2018, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Whostheboog
I have a 2000 5 speed fed spec and a 2001 gle. Datascan 2 will connect to Glee but not the 5 speed... Inside of ECU looks ok but I know looks can be deceiving...
ive read that failing to connect is a symptom of a bad ECU.
Now that youve established that you cant connect what I would do is run a few small continuity tests withing your ECU.
I know there are a few pins you can probe with your multi-meter given that you have a mega-ohms testing choice on it, to determine if its bad or not.
First power in -> ground is always a good place to begin.
Then data link or OBD2 -> any of the vital sensor circuits such as TPS or IACV.
Maybe another member who is more familiar with the printout could give you some key circuits to probe to determine if its good or bad.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:04 AM

Further instructions needed.

Ok man I have the ECU in my hands and my multimeter beside me. I'm drawing a blank as to where to probe for what. I see the pinouts all over the internet where do I put my probes?
Old 02-04-2018, 01:51 PM

Ok man I have the ECU in my hands and my multimeter beside me. I'm drawing a blank as to where to probe for what. I see the pinouts all over the internet where do I put my probes?
first flip it over carefully without damaging it and probe the end of the barb pin that the connector plugs onto with just low ohms then check it to where the pin solders at the circuit board. I was tipped off by a team tech that that is a place where the connection often fails.
this on the K-line pin.
As you establish continuity from the I/O pin to the board then just go from the solder joint on into each circuit.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:34 PM

So far so good.

Originally Posted by maximatech12
first flip it over carefully without damaging it and probe the end of the barb pin that the connector plugs onto with just low ohms then check it to where the pin solders at the circuit board. I was tipped off by a team tech that that is a place where the connection often fails.
this on the K-line pin.
As you establish continuity from the I/O pin to the board then just go from the solder joint on into each circuit.
So far I have probed all outer pins the power ones are mixed in there. Never got around to it last night new baby lol. So far everyone has been good. When I had it hooked up in the car my "dumb" cable had the red light on but I know that's no definite answer. The ECU looks great and apparently was remanned by Nissan in Japan but I'm going to continue testing. I wish of all the pin outs I have found one of them would show the iacv... I have considered putting the ecuin Glee and programming a key and immobilizer that way but not gonna because then I won't find the problem, it may be damaged but not visible so it will mess Glee's iacv up, and I've almost got Glee back on the road anyways... Thanks for your help so far. Just an update.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 PM

Tested fine

So far I have probed all outer pins the power ones are mixed in there. Never got around to it last night new baby lol. So far everyone has been good. When I had it hooked up in the car my "dumb" cable had the red light on but I know that's no definite answer. The ECU looks great and apparently was remanned by Nissan in Japan but I'm going to continue testing. I wish of all the pin outs I have found one of them would show the iacv... I have considered putting the ecuin Glee and programming a key and immobilizer that way but not gonna because then I won't find the problem, it may be damaged but not visible so it will mess Glee's iacv up, and I've almost got Glee back on the road anyways... Thanks for your help so far. Just an update.
Every single pinout tested fine and there is not burned smell or broken solders. This has been remanned by Nissan and I think it's fine. I will say when I hooked it back up to the car it was hanging in the floor board. Do these need to be grounded by it's case or no? I'm going to put it back in the car and test it hooked up proper. But I'm almost certain though I've been wrong before that it's fine. Possibly recently remanned but can't be sure.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Every single pinout tested fine and there is not burned smell or broken solders. This has been remanned by Nissan and I think it's fine. I will say when I hooked it back up to the car it was hanging in the floor board. Do these need to be grounded by it's case or no? I'm going to put it back in the car and test it hooked up proper. But I'm almost certain though I've been wrong before that it's fine. Possibly recently remanned but can't be sure.
Car ran fine before I lost the key and only needed the throttle feathered upon cold start. I think the iacv has been replaced but maybe not. I'm going to pull it and see. The computer hasn't seemed to rake a hit from it. Is it possible they replaced iacv, had computer remanned, and never relearned idle on the car?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Other scanner now won't work either...

Car ran fine before I lost the key and only needed the throttle feathered upon cold start. I think the iacv has been replaced but maybe not. I'm going to pull it and see. The computer hasn't seemed to rake a hit from it. Is it possible they replaced iacv, had computer remanned, and never relearned idle on the car?
Ok I've done something wrong since I have removed it. I did so to make sure it wasn't friend and when I just put it back in and hooked it up the cheapo scanner that previously would connect no problem won't either. It gets power to the scanners though.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Found what I needed in the fsm. Checked all obd2 wires

Check every wire from obd2 connector to ecm connector and they all came out fine. ECU pins did too but because of how tedious it was I'm going back over them. Fuses all fine as well. This is getting to me. It was working before I pulled it the first time so it has to be pins it has to.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Connector

Check every wire from obd2 connector to ecm connector and they all came out fine. ECU pins did too but because of how tedious it was I'm going back over them. Fuses all fine as well. This is getting to me. It was working before I pulled it the first time so it has to be pins it has to.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM

Yeah bud you need the lever! What you could do is check the techmate site for the ECM connector and replace it or
Unless you can get a new lever at a junkyard and just snap it on?
Also id say the lever secures the connector at the center so its secured clean & tight!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:44 AM

Fixed it kinda...

Yeah bud you need the lever! What you could do is check the techmate site for the ECM connector and replace it or
Also id say the lever secures the connector at the center so its secured clean & tight!
The lever isn't needed if it's missing it will plug all the way in. I reinstalled it again and noticed a relay clicking a few times and my cel came on. I'm programming some keys I have in the morning for it. In the meantime the iacv which I just removed was changed with the ecm and I was wondering how since the ecm is good can I check the iacv. Visibily I see no water in or around stepper motor and all gaskets appear good.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:59 AM

Relay was the problem

The lever isn't needed if it's missing it will plug all the way in. I reinstalled it again and noticed a relay clicking a few times and my cel came on. I'm programming some keys I have in the morning for it. In the meantime the iacv which I just removed was changed with the ecm and I was wondering how since the ecm is good can I check the iacv. Visibily I see no water in or around stepper motor and all gaskets appear good.
Ended up being the engine control relay went bad on me. Looks at though it shorted. There was the green battery type fuzz on a couple of the pins in the connector. Tried Glee's ecm relay out on it and it worked fine. Having trouble with the key programming. Tested out key programming on the gle and it worked fine. The 5 speed seems to be dissatisfied with any key chip I try. I even went through the trouble of making this for her...

Old 08-29-2018, 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=Whostheboog;9168920]Ended up being the engine control relay went bad on me. Looks at though it shorted. There was the green battery type fuzz on a couple of the pins in the connector. Tried Glee's ecm relay out on it and it worked fine. Having trouble with the key programming. Tested out key programming on the gle and it worked fine. The 5 speed seems to be dissatisfied with any key chip I try.

Any More Info on this..??
What did you end up doing...??

Thanks...

2003 Maxima, 6-Speed Manual
Old 09-01-2018, 01:53 AM

Yes actually a lot.

For starters the ecm relays are located in that box behind the drivers headlight... Notice when I bought the five speed the relay box was destroyed and the relays dangling behind the headlight. Didn't think nothing of it. Then poof hit a deer in glee and busted the relay box on impact. Shortly after came similar problems. Turned out that when frontal impact happens to these cars that relay box gets destroyed like clock work. The relays dangling which allows water to run in them. My problem was coincidental to me. I thought I'd messed up some wires removing the ecm the ecm previously. My suggestion would be to take a known good brown relay from thw car, plugging it slightly into the ecm relay connectpr and listen for a click. I was actually able to take the bad relays open them up dry them out and clean them which in turn restored their function. The preventative maintenace I would recommend would be to either locate a new relay box so they can be repositioned carefully or zip tie them so they are facing wires down... Also have some intersting info on the key I made. Due to the key not being the correct model I assume the chip never started the car. Took the chip out of glee my 2k1, stuck it on the chip antenna for the 2k 5 speed, programmed it to the car, and Preston fired right up. Funny thing though is that it no longer works for glee unless reprogrammed. Once reprogrammed same results. Glee fires right up and the 5 speed won't unless reprogrammed again. From all my research that doesn't seem to make sense because alledlgedly the only thing being programmed is the ecm to recognize the chip. And the chip has no physical memory. Obviously at least in my case this is not true. Food for thought. I've put a lot of work, time, money, and even more research to use on these 2 cars and frankly I lean more and more towards keeping them stock and possibly undoing some mods in glee. I'm looking into piggy back tuning for the 5 speed and possibly proceding with it. Just not with the power goals if once hoped to work towards. Also have that transmission rebuild that causes the car to remain unproven until I can the parts, money, and time. In the meantime I have gutted the interior. No carpet, passenger seat, back seat, center console, and a lot of wiring repair as well.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:10 AM

Only needed for easy removal

In regards to tightness that's not a concern at all trust me on that. However due to the tight fitment of the connector which is definately over kill... That lever mechanism would save me the heartache of a slowly withering connector. The worry of messing up wiring, and the fear of messing up ecm pins. I have a fed spec 5 speed and the ecm for this car has been rebuilt by Nissan which apparently was due to the p0505 the car still suffers from. Lack of new iacv money. I gave up on playing around with an almost nonexistent budget. Got a truck to drive to in order to not depend on the project car or glee.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have just purchased DataScan II for my 01 I30 and i can only connect to the ECM and OBDII functions. Is the reason that i cannot connect to the other functions (BCM, SRS etc) because the car uses DDL1 Line for those functions? Is anyone with my car able to connect to those functions?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Jaydon1111111
I have just purchased DataScan II for my 01 I30 and i can only connect to the ECM and OBDII functions. Is the reason that i cannot connect to the other functions (BCM, SRS etc) because the car uses DDL1 Line for those functions? Is anyone with my car able to connect to those functions?
I have an 01 maxima i will try this week
Old 09-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

For further clarification, NissanDataScan II doesn't support connection thru DDL1 and DDL2 which i think 01 I30 and Maxima uses because the service manual mentions that it does.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:45 PM
Bad *** Newb

For further clarification, NissanDataScan II doesn't support connection thru DDL1 and DDL2 which i think 01 I30 and Maxima uses because the service manual mentions that it does.
NDS2 works 100% with ECM, but, yes, 00-03 will not work with anything else. You need the new style ECU to connect to ABS, etc.