5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RS5F50A (manual) & vq30dek rebuild videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 PM

RS5F50A (manual) & vq30dek rebuild videos

Detailed 5 speed and vq30dek rebuild videos. These are not in English but they exist. The related video links and subscribing to these guys will be your best friend because everything in English is vq35de stuff. It helps to have specific content if your a fan of the cheaper, less powerful, more reliable, and if done right easy to make up the power difference v6 before Renault got their hands on it. Alright guys don't ask how I stumbled upon these. I knew someone had to have done it and the lack of information available. To my fellow 5 speed owners with input shaft bearing problems I sought out finding us some content and succeeded. Same goes to my fellow vq30de and vq30dek owners. Here are the links...

The guy who so far tends to have my favorites... The 2 videos I post are his. This is his profile. You will see the related videos will show these are the Maxima rebuild videos we can't find on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCa...9QmruTlXgVmRvg

This is the trans

This is both in one

Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Father of the 00 VI

they don't work
Old 03-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Got to YouTube search this guy's name then and the top video of my second screen shot is the trans video.
Attached Thumbnails RS5F50A (manual) & vq30dek rebuild videos-screenshot_20180321-234957.png   RS5F50A (manual) & vq30dek rebuild videos-screenshot_20180321-234928.png  
Old 03-21-2018, 08:56 PM

Here's his motor and trans one. He's also got build your own shop press, ecu repair, and vias fix. When you watch these the related videos are your BEST friends because where ever they are from there's a bunch of these guys doing major, detailed, and not a word of English repair videos. They video so well though that there is no need to hear really...
Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM

Forgot to attach them lol my bad
Attached Thumbnails RS5F50A (manual) & vq30dek rebuild videos-screenshot_20180321-235324.png   RS5F50A (manual) & vq30dek rebuild videos-screenshot_20180321-235247.png   RS5F50A (manual) & vq30dek rebuild videos-screenshot_20180321-235306.png  
Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'm getting ready to do mine. Waiting for my bearing kit from Transmission Parts Distributor to arrive. I didn't order the syncros hoping that it would still OK since the tranny felt great but recently developed rattling noise which I think is the IPS bearing, especially the front one on the driver side.

http://transmissionpartsdistributors...i-type-bk182d/

FSM calls for Anaerobic Liquid Sealant Loctite 51813. Couldn't find this anywhere so I'm wondering if Permatex 51813 is similar.

I'm hoping to make video of the process.

Last edited by Genes1s; 06-05-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Is say that since you have to break all the way down anyways why not go ahead and do the synchros? Obviously you're willing to take on the challenge so like me you seem to either be keeping it for reliability and longevity. Not to mention if any thoughts exist of shooting for performance whether now or later synchros while you're already there and will be touching doesn't seem that out of mind. I hate that gear sets are so hard to find for our trans. If you want that input shaft because yours is trashed it means basically buying a whole used tranny which may have the same problem and then damn. Or going all out for a PAR gearset which I would love but that's a big expense. Not to mention a 5 speed ecu for our years specifically for your or my car is almost impossible to find.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:23 PM

Best of luck by the way. Glad someone else shares that dek 5speed love
Old 06-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Whostheboog
Is say that since you have to break all the way down anyways why not go ahead and do the synchros? Obviously you're willing to take on the challenge so like me you seem to either be keeping it for reliability and longevity. Not to mention if any thoughts exist of shooting for performance whether now or later synchros while you're already there and will be touching doesn't seem that out of mind. I hate that gear sets are so hard to find for our trans. If you want that input shaft because yours is trashed it means basically buying a whole used tranny which may have the same problem and then damn. Or going all out for a PAR gearset which I would love but that's a big expense. Not to mention a 5 speed ecu for our years specifically for your or my car is almost impossible to find.

I would not go for PAR gearseat as this is just my daily. As far as Synchros you have a point. I did thought about it and am still debating.

Looking at the assembly diagram and the video, it doesn't look like I need to touch the gear set to replace the bearings since they are on the outside. I was just going to replace each end of the time and replace the other to maintain the clearances and tolerances.

We'll see. This is my first time gutting out the tranny, so I'm pretty nervous but excited in the same time.

a good/well maintained 5th gen Maxima is the best value for $2-3K car. You can't find any other one out there for that price with that performance, comfort, reliability, cheap parts to replace, and well known DIY info for that price.

IF there is another Maxima with low miles for $4-5K, I would gladly ****** it. All other Maximas in our year are going to junk yard (I got updates everyday!) and the 5 speed is getting so rare.

The only other thing I want to do with this car is to get rid of the bump steer and improve steering feels.

Last edited by Genes1s; 06-06-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:20 AM

You just got to know what to look for when buying one. Certain parts are getting hard to find and other than headache yeah they're tanks. Yeah fwd automatically take that ips bearing and makes it pretty much the last thing you touch. I have read and still researchings this rebuild myself so thought I'd warn you about shimming. I have read that Nissan only used 2 sizes of shims back when they built these and its possible that they're not exactly correct. It's theorized that the slight missize in shimming is one of the bigger causes of why we're having this problem and is speculated that because of extra wear and tear, they were allegedly wrong in the first place, and this makes sense to do anyways... To ignore the factory shim size and shim the input shaft based on what you see and feel. This particular part is apparently where transmission knowledge is heavily required as this is an important speculation. Although they make repair sleeves allegedly no 2 rebuilds will have the same shim sizes if done correctly. This is all stuff I encountered researching for my own self and taken from people whom I don't know and never will so take these words with a grain of salt and shot of penicillin. Best of luck buddy
Old 06-06-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Whostheboog
You just got to know what to look for when buying one. Certain parts are getting hard to find and other than headache yeah they're tanks. Yeah fwd automatically take that ips bearing and makes it pretty much the last thing you touch. I have read and still researchings this rebuild myself so thought I'd warn you about shimming. I have read that Nissan only used 2 sizes of shims back when they built these and its possible that they're not exactly correct. It's theorized that the slight missize in shimming is one of the bigger causes of why we're having this problem and is speculated that because of extra wear and tear, they were allegedly wrong in the first place, and this makes sense to do anyways... To ignore the factory shim size and shim the input shaft based on what you see and feel. This particular part is apparently where transmission knowledge is heavily required as this is an important speculation. Although they make repair sleeves allegedly no 2 rebuilds will have the same shim sizes if done correctly. This is all stuff I encountered researching for my own self and taken from people whom I don't know and never will so take these words with a grain of salt and shot of penicillin. Best of luck buddy
The shim is there to limit the movement and preload I take it. On my race kart engine the shims for the crankshaft determine my engine temperature since the gap determines the oil circulation. So, it is probably similar to the the thought process of the tranny here. It is a lot easier to shim it then to maintain tight manufacturing and assembly tolerances.

I'll capture and measure clearances and shims, specifically the ones mentioned in the FSM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:27 AM

The shims are definitely for preload.

FWIW all the shim part numbers in the FSM are obsolete. I actually had a custom shim made not knowing they were available under another p/n. I think vipervadim or someone mentioned it in one of their threads.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
The shims are definitely for preload.

FWIW all the shim part numbers in the FSM are obsolete. I actually had a custom shim made not knowing they were available under another p/n. I think vipervadim or someone mentioned it in one of their threads.
Man....I'm hoping I don't need to do custom stuff. If it is just for thickness I could just grind it using Surface Grinder.