5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New here but need help before I just collect insurance on my 02 se

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here but need help before I just collect insurance on my 02 se

So about 2 months ago I was driving and lost all throtle response for some reason. Figured it was my alternator so I replaced it. After that no issue till yesterday. When I replaced my alternator I noticed I would need an new belt soon, so I did it yesterday. Once I was done I had to go someone stuff. Went to back out and yet again lost all throtle response. But noticed that it only happened in gear when I turned on my lights. I turned off my lights and all was well. When it was in neutral it was fine w/ lights on and off. So today I went to start it to close my sun roof, and honestly just to hear her start, and everything was fine. So I figured I'd take her around the block and back. Got 300 feet from my house and lost throtle response in gear. What would cause this? Faulty alternator from distributor. Bad battery, I don't know when it was changed. Fused positive connection. Or something else. Please help
Old 09-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

There's almost always a code thrown. And how would you collect insurance on a car that nothing happened to?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 AM

It sounds like you're just listing off random parts, most of which wouldn't cause the problem.

Is there a SES light on indicating stored fault codes?

A short list of suspects would be MAF, throttle body (electronic on 02+ cars) or a host of other sensors.
It may be worth it to take it to someone to diagnose. It doesn't sound catastrophic.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Sounds like a faulty TB assy.....(TPS within isn't sensing throttle angle) or Accelerator pedal sensor...
Old 09-03-2018, 07:15 PM

my buddy's dodge avenger that was fly by wire had the exact opposite problem. it would randomly go wide open throttle, usually in a school zone or residential. Chrysler ****ed him as they couldn't find an issue so he had to pull it in to his own shop and tore it apart on the lift with volt probe, tapped, knocked and rattled everything he could. everything tested good form the batter to the alternator. low and behold a couple wraps to the battery and volt meter probe starts spiking. One bad cell was spiking and dropping voltage enough to freak out the computer and send in to wide open grand theft auto rampage mode.

Icing on the cake ...When he called the shop back not asking for any refund or assistance of ANY kind but, to leave a record or note for future reference help others, They refused and denied any cooperation or acknowledgment what so ever.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:28 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
my buddy's dodge avenger that was fly by wire had the exact opposite problem. it would randomly go wide open throttle, usually in a school zone or residential. Chrysler ****ed him as they couldn't find an issue so he had to pull it in to his own shop and tore it apart on the lift with volt probe, tapped, knocked and rattled everything he could. everything tested good form the batter to the alternator. low and behold a couple wraps to the battery and volt meter probe starts spiking. One bad cell was spiking and dropping voltage enough to freak out the computer and send in to wide open grand theft auto rampage mode.

Icing on the cake ...When he called the shop back not asking for any refund or assistance of ANY kind but, to leave a record or note for future reference help others, They refused and denied any cooperation or acknowledgment what so ever.
Fight Club airplane scene comes to mind....

Meanwhile, Toyota never had an issue, it was all lies.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:29 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by CMax03
Sounds like a faulty TB assy.....(TPS within isn't sensing throttle angle) or Accelerator pedal sensor...
Yeah, it goes into limp mode, which absolutely throws a code, which is why I was prodding lol
Old 09-04-2018, 04:57 AM

I would get a junkyard accelerator sensor unit just for testing...These units rarely go out!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM

I think our cars are finicky with aftermarket alternators and voltage. I would look at what brand you used for the swap and see if it's a cheapo one.