5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Redline start up on 02 maxima.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 AM
  #1  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Redline start up on 02 maxima.

Hello, I have an 02 maxima. As i was driving home the other night, it started to rev high and redline. Every time I start it up, it redline's. I've check the gas cable, it returning like it should. I've looked at the butterfly valve. To me it looks to open for idle, about 45 open, but dont know how to adjust. The stop on the gas cable prevents it from closing all the way. Other then that, not sure what the issue could be.

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Ryan Tulley is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:59 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 630
First, do you have an check engine light codes? The ECM is pretty good about picking up codes for the throttle control system, unless maybe it's mechanical and not electrical

I can't tell by your description if the TB is stuck open or not. Sounds like an issue with the gas pedal itself or the throttle body. Gas pedal is easy to remove and replace and will only cost around $20 from a junkyard

If you don't wanna throw parts at it you can refer to the EC section of the FSM and with a multimeter start testing voltages

Last edited by Violator; 05-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Violator is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 03:21 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
That's not supposed to happen on a 02 since it's drive by wire. You have to have a major failure for your computer to not be limp moding your car. Normally that's by closing the electronic throttle to a minimum position(usually just enough to idle the car but wouldn't go above something like 2k rpm.

Ihave the opposite issue. Consider yourself lucky and check your gas pedal position sensor. Something not right obviously.. then, make sure there's nothing wrong with your Ignition system. Download a technician manual. The abundant. Idk why ppl don't do that more..

Last edited by tundrawolf89; 05-18-2019 at 03:25 AM.
tundrawolf89 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 04:06 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 610
Should probably start with the date of manufacture. Are you VQ30 or VQ35?

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...html?PNC=18150
User1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:05 PM
  #5  
Bad *** Newb
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,425
Replace throttle body
Child_uv_KoRn is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by User1 View Post
Should probably start with the date of manufacture. Are you VQ30 or VQ35?

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...html?PNC=18150
Op stated it's an 02. Even 01 had ETB, I know because I have one. Etb0001 PN from Hitachi.
tundrawolf89 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:35 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn View Post
Replace throttle body
How do you figure? Throttle body just contains sensors for sending reference for air. It's one piece of 3 needed for combustion and it's not the controller in any sequence of events.

One word. Multimeter...
5v, 12v check , and check continuity. You'll find a how to IF search. But if be starting at the ECU and body control module..

Korn... The throttle body fails CLOSED position. It's a fail safe. Unless someone removed the impossible to move set screw with Hulk like strength or the internals obliterated it's not failing and sucking open. I have two disassembled on my work bench presently. Don't give people false diagnosis, or at least explain how you think that system can fail in such a way to redline. Please explain

Last edited by tundrawolf89; 05-18-2019 at 08:39 PM.
tundrawolf89 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 610
Originally Posted by tundrawolf89 View Post
Op stated it's an 02. Even 01 had ETB, I know because I have one. Etb0001 PN from Hitachi.
Cool. He also said he checked his cable, and my link offers both options depending on engine. So we still need more information to verify what we're dealing with. All speculation until we know if it's fly-by-wire, or cable throttle.
User1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:44 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by User1 View Post
Cool. He also said he checked his cable, and my link offers both options depending on engine. So we still need more information to verify what we're dealing with. All speculation until we know if it's fly-by-wire, or cable throttle.
I agree but the dudes unlikely to know. Cable could just as easily be referred to as wire harness, or conduit, snakes and ladders?... Unlikely op 2 years off on the age. 😁

He not coming back. Probably realized it was something silly.

Edit*I see what ur saying he could have essentially an 01 but pre electronic cause of that 6 mo Gap where Nissan started changing everything then changed again 6 months later lol

Last edited by tundrawolf89; 05-18-2019 at 08:48 PM.
tundrawolf89 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 610
Originally Posted by tundrawolf89 View Post
I agree but the dudes unlikely to know. Cable could just as easily be referred to as wire harness, or conduit, snakes and ladders?... Unlikely op 2 years off on the age. 😁

He not coming back. Probably realized it was something silly like gum stuck on the Accelerator pedal position switch.
Production date is the only way we would know. Cutoff is June each year. And yeah, he's probably ghost.
User1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 610
Originally Posted by tundrawolf89 View Post
Edit*I see what ur saying he could have essentially an 01 but pre electronic cause of that 6 mo Gap where Nissan started changing everything then changed again 6 months later lol
Bingo. It's the same for all manufacturers. A 2015 model was produced in 2014.
User1 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 PM
  #12  
Bad *** Newb
iTrader: (7)
 
Child_uv_KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,425
Originally Posted by tundrawolf89 View Post
How do you figure? Throttle body just contains sensors for sending reference for air. It's one piece of 3 needed for combustion and it's not the controller in any sequence of events.

One word. Multimeter...
5v, 12v check , and check continuity. You'll find a how to IF search. But if be starting at the ECU and body control module..

Korn... The throttle body fails CLOSED position. It's a fail safe. Unless someone removed the impossible to move set screw with Hulk like strength or the internals obliterated it's not failing and sucking open. I have two disassembled on my work bench presently. Don't give people false diagnosis, or at least explain how you think that system can fail in such a way to redline. Please explain
He says 02. It's his problem if he's too dumb to know what model year his vehicle is.
Child_uv_KoRn is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
lewtion1
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
9
09-21-2005 05:24 PM
billy bronco
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
13
01-07-2005 09:18 AM
nm
Fluids and Lubricants
6
11-12-2004 05:32 AM
cardana24
Fluids and Lubricants
1
01-31-2004 08:06 AM
Chebosto
General Maxima Discussion
67
03-11-2001 11:33 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redline start up on 02 maxima.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.