5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alternator Change leads to Dead Radio/Alarm ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 AM

Alternator Change leads to Dead Radio/Alarm ???

HI Friends,

So,...i had to hire a mechanic to change my alternator (my mechanic is out of town, so i hired some other guy). Anway, they guy struggled to get the dayum alternator in, and when he got it installed,...the Radio and Alarm Remote no longer work.

???
  • -The Radio does not power up
  • -The Alarm remote will not work (i reprogrammed it, but it still won't open the door or trunk).
  • -I visually CHEKED all fuses underneath the hood that might indicate radio or alarm...all look fine
What could it be?

Maybe if i reinstall the battery ????

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM

fuses under the dash, i had weird thing stop working and checked and recheck and then i found a fuse i missed that was missing all together.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
fuses under the dash, i had weird thing stop working and checked and recheck and then i found a fuse i missed that was missing all together.
Thanks man.

I checked under the dash...and 'no fuse there' looks like it would operate the Alarm or Radio.

Any idea which it could be ?
Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by FlaMark
I checked under the dash...and 'no fuse there' looks like it would operate the Alarm or Radio.
Any idea which it could be ?
The "Audio" fuse is located in the engine compartment.
It sits in the long rectangular box that Nissan refers to as "Fusible Link and Fuse Box".
The box is on the driver's side, next/left to battery. On the cover of the box, the fuse is labeled "Audio"; it is the 6th slot from the left, in the upper/internal row. (For more details, see the "Fuse and Fusible Link Box" section of the FOLDOUT section of the FSM).
Old 06-22-2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
It sits in the long rectangular box that Nissan refers to as "Fusible Link and Fuse Box".
The box is on the driver's side, next/left to battery. On the cover of the box, the fuse is labeled "Audio"; it is the 6th slot from the left, in the upper/internal row. (For more details, see the "Fuse and Fusible Link Box" section of the FOLDOUT section of the FSM).
Ok...thanks Man!

I'll look for that fuse. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2019, 04:27 PM

might sound weird but if your fuse isn't blown
disconnect and reinstall the fuse while the car is running.
it's under the dash i forgot which ones specifically.

i forgot why but my alarm didn't work for some reason that had to do with a battery change
and doing this fixed the problem. i think also the radio and trip counter memory where resetting too.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Well that didn't work...audio fuse was fine. I even changed if with a new one...no difference.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
might sound weird but if your fuse isn't blown
disconnect and reinstall the fuse while the car is running.
it's under the dash i forgot which ones specifically.

i forgot why but my alarm didn't work for some reason that had to do with a battery change
and doing this fixed the problem. i think also the radio and trip counter memory where resetting too.
Ok...that's a lot of fuses to pull.

Hmmm...
Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 AM

UPDATE: Weird. (haven't had time to pull all fuses but on the way to work, i played with the controls on the steering wheel. ODDLY the radio came on, with NO LIGHTS on the face of the Radio Panel.

THEN the radio would not shut off...had to turn the volume down all the way using STEERING WHEEL controls only (controls on Radio not working, nor do they light up).

***I suspect the Radio was working all along, just no volume and NO LIGHTS ON the front to indicate it was ON ???

ANYONE have any other ideas?

Last edited by FlaMark; 06-26-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM

i'm not saying all of them like the fuel pump you silly billy.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
i'm not saying all of them like the fuel pump you silly billy.
Well...i tried everyone of them. I pulled them out while the car was running and reinserted. NO LUCK.

I remember 'this clown mechanic' testing the fuses while he was doing the job (don't ask me why he was doing that...i guess the idiot wanted to see if the alternator was charging and he couldn't figure out to just test from the Battery).

I even disconnected the battery and reattached...NO LUCK!

???