5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rebuilding VQ30DEK and trying to make the most power

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rebuilding VQ30DEK and trying to make the most power

I've been debating some time on what to do with my 00 Max and decided that instead of the 3.5 swap I'd rather rebuild my engine now and not get a second hand engine while knowing what parts I'm putting into the rebuild. I've been doing some research and I've seen things from putting in a VG crank, putting in a VQ35 pathfinder manifold, turbo, and super but I want to build my NA setup to the most potential. Just wanna know what other people have done to make their power. I'm aiming for 260-270 whp. I plan to do a intake, full exhaust, and rebuild as of now. Any other tips and help is greatly appreciated. I also only run premium fuel and have done maintenance on the fuel pump and starter.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Father of the 00 VI

If your going to rebuild a engine go with a 3.5 .Just put your 3.0 timing components on it.

I ran a second faster in the 1/4 same weight same mods. I just went from a 3.0 to a 3.5. And actually it was over a second faster ,because with the 3.0 i had a JWT ECU rev set a 8000rpm and with the 3.5 i ran a stock 95 ECU with stock fuel,timing and rev limit. 3.5 had SS IM.

Last edited by krismax; 11-07-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I understand what you mean but to me I don't see the point in buying another engine for only 30 more horsies and yeah I'm taking for granted the tuning possibilities of the 3.5 but it's gonna be my daily and eventually I wanna add some boost and the 3.0 has a nicer compression ratio and the shorter gears are a plus.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 PM

If you want to build an N/A with reliable power first thing would be to set out how much power and torque you want, then set a budget to try to reach your goal and always use quality parts.it will not be cheap as you will need to do the ecu as well.either a replacement eprom to suit your requirements or go aftermarket programable ecu.then there is all the head work,porting and cams.pistons how much compression you want run,injectors fuel rail,larger diameter fuel line,high volume pump and possibly a surge tank to prevent fuel starvation.not sure on prices of components elsewhere but here in oz with moderate power and torque gains with all of the above with an aftermarket programmable ecu you would have no change out of 15k aud.that is a conservative cost. Straight 6 nissan engines you can mix and match bottom end internals to stroke it to a larger capacity,not sure about mixing VG and VQ engine bits as they are different to a degree.I could rammble on for ever about stuff like this,but my posts are always mostly long and probably make people sleep reading them lol.in a nut shell much much cheaper doing a 3.5 conversion.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Forestmaxima
I understand what you mean but to me I don't see the point in buying another engine for only 30 more horsies and yeah I'm taking for granted the tuning possibilities of the 3.5 but it's gonna be my daily and eventually I wanna add some boost and the 3.0 has a nicer compression ratio and the shorter gears are a plus.
Check the search feature on 5thgen power upgrades, or engine mods. There's a ton available for the 5/5.5 gen. The 3.0 seems a more tried and true motor compared to the 5.5gen 3.5L, but will involve more to crank out the power you desire compared to performing a swap, and building from there. I have yet to do any sort of car modding myself with respect to the mechanical side of a vehicle (tints, subs/amps, and creature comforts are more my thing) but with a recent purchase of a 2003 GLE, I intend on doing some modding to it when I can get another car to DD. I hope by that point there's still some support for 5.5gen modding lol
Old 11-07-2019, 05:13 PM

you are underestimating how difficult it is to make n/a power. " 30hp"
30hp is a massive jump. rebuilt engine just means zero added power. it's new, so what.
premium fuel. what does that mean? intake? like a cone filter? i'm just saying you will have to get serious non of those things are serious.

i don't know anything about these engines.
if you can just bolt a 3.5 block under the heads or if the 3.5 heads are better but
it's best to start with a better engine. the engine itself is going to be the cheapest thing, then you have cams/springs, pistons.
headwork, how much is that going to be? you know a place that specializes in vq headwork?
not talking **** just doesn't look like you're for real by the post i hope you do get close that would be sweet to see a ****ty 3.0 making that much power.

https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...ss-thread.html

here's a guy that made 270hp 240tq. not allot of tq but that thing revs high.
a 3.0 barley brakes 200hp.
i would just turbo it and make 400hp with like 350tq stock but that's just me.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Having dumped money into both, just get a 5.5gen or swap a 3.5 motor in. The 3.0s can be fun but really dont even bother sinking money into them, its just a dead end. Waaaaaay more potential and options for the 3.5, its just a superior motor, plain and simple.

The only way Id suggest sticking to a 3.0 is if you want to stay stock and its the cheaper option for you, or if you want to run a supercharger kit. From the sound of it, you want a refreshed motor with full bolt ons more or less - thats something youll want the 3.5 for. The only thing youll learn by doing that with the 3.0 first is that youre paying more money for a less powerful build.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Father of the 00 VI

And also to add to others you can get a 3.5 for $200-300 . Use your 3.0 for the timing stuff. And rebuild the 3.5 and just use your ECU. HP upgrade with a better motor.

The only reason the 3.5 don't last is the cat problem. If your rebuilding anyways ,it doesn't matter and you can delete the exhaust cats in the manifolds.