5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is it time for new Front Suspension? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Is it time for new Front Suspension? (Pics)

My prior vehicle had (Airbag) suspension, though I have owned this car for years I haven't 100% gotten use to the difference in the ride..
If I drive the car slow over horribly paved roads, it handles ok, but at normal speeds it's not as easy to control and I feel every single bump .
A few years before I purchased this car I had the honor of riding in an 01 I-35 which was very bouncy and uncomfortable, but I assumed it was because it had over 400K. Is this normal to need to replace the shocks and/or struts on these car's within the first 200k?

Passenger Side

Drivers side
Old 11-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Bad *** Newb

Sounds normal. Stock sucks. But it mostly sounds like your roads are just trashed and you can't blame the car for that. They're meant to be driven on relatively smooth surfaces.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Sounds normal. Stock sucks. But it mostly sounds like your roads are just trashed and you can't blame the car for that. They're meant to be driven on relatively smooth surfaces.
Stock sucks? So are you saying that if I upgrade I might experience a more comfortable ride? The roads were even worse when I drove my former car, and I didn't feel a thing, that maybe because of the air compressor. Im not sure, but I would hate to change them, but experience the same ride
Old 11-15-2019, 04:29 PM

push down on one side and if it jiggles they're blown it should just come up quick and freeze.
200k they're probably blown. mine where.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
push down on one side and if it jiggles they're blown it should just come up quick and freeze.
It doesn't jiggle when I push down It also makes no sounds at any speed. but It does make a creaking noise when I'm parallel parking.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn33
It doesn't jiggle when I push down It also makes no sounds at any speed. but It does make a creaking noise when I'm parallel parking.
Creaking might be the axles. If you're turning the wheel to parallel park and creaking is heard, then your axles are most likely worn. Strut and strut mounts could also affect the smoothness of the ride. These cars are notorious for strut issues (my 01 was on an every 2 year fix thanks to NYC streets).
Old 11-17-2019, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by 03_GLE
Creaking might be the axles. If you're turning the wheel to parallel park and creaking is heard, then your axles are most likely worn. Strut and strut mounts could also affect the smoothness of the ride. These cars are notorious for strut issues (my 01 was on an every 2 year fix thanks to NYC streets).
Wow, I figured nissan had some type of suspension fault I definitely wouldn't want to change them if they start back riding the same way in 2 years. About the axels, how much would this type of thing cost to fix, and is it serious?
Old 11-17-2019, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Did you notice a huge difference after changing them?
Old 11-17-2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn33
Wow, I figured nissan had some type of suspension fault I definitely wouldn't want to change them if they start back riding the same way in 2 years. About the axels, how much would this type of thing cost to fix, and is it serious?
Check Rockauto.com for these parts. The pieces shouldn't be expensive at this stage of ownership. Finding a shop to install them well is the trickier part. The first time I had my axles changed, the idiot mechanic didn't properly connect one of them so after driving on a highway and sensing there was this odd tugging, I decided to give it a good turn when I got into a closed parking lot. The unit ending up popping out, and the car rendered immobile. The mechanic had a hefty tow truck bill, and free repair to make the next day as a result.
The seriousness of this is not that serious, but at 200K, the car has more than made up for the life of any of its suspension components, especially with that mileage, and age -- assuming your issue is related to axles. If you're turning your steering wheel, and hear continuous clicking as you're turning it, then it is indeed your axles my friend.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 03_GLE
Check Rockauto.com for these parts. The pieces shouldn't be expensive at this stage of ownership. Finding a shop to install them well is the trickier part. The first time I had my axles changed, the idiot mechanic didn't properly connect one of them so after driving on a highway and sensing there was this odd tugging, I decided to give it a good turn when I got into a closed parking lot. The unit ending up popping out, and the car rendered immobile. The mechanic had a hefty tow truck bill, and free repair to make the next day as a result.
The seriousness of this is not that serious, but at 200K, the car has more than made up for the life of any of its suspension components, especially with that mileage, and age -- assuming your issue is related to axles. If you're turning your steering wheel, and hear continuous clicking as you're turning it, then it is indeed your axles my friend.
WOw that's why I don't trust universal mechanics, most of them think all cars are the same. IF I can't do it myself, I go to a specialized nissan repair shop, its basically a small sub shop that's owned by dealership employees, they changed my alternator and belt a year ago for 100's less than the dealership. At the moment my car has nearly 178k. I don't hear any clicking, just more of a scrubbing noise like a creaky door.