5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Confirmed my main issue with my maxs ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Confirmed my main issue with my maxs ride

Alright so a few months ago I was going to get SFCs but my cars engine died and that put things on hold for a while. Now with a new longblock from the dealer I am ready to go again. Anyway I have an I35 and I always felt that it rode harsh. That too much vibration was transmitted into the cabin and it just didnt ride that well. I knew the suspension wasnt that stiff but wasnt sure if it was the suspension or chassis rigidity. After hearing about SFCs giving a better ride I decided I wanted to go through with it, but still wasnt sure whether or not a stiffer chassis would really help.

Well now that I've started the car club at my school I've had the chance to ride in quite a few cars. One of which is an S2000 thats lowered over 2 inches and another is a 88 mustang GT. I cant even imagine how high the spring rate probably is on a S2000 thats been lowered over 2 inches but it has to be really high cause the car never bottoms out. Anyway even though this would usually make for a harsh ride (as S2000s even stock arent known for having a forgiving ride) it was great I loved it, even though when he went over a speed bump I would have left my seat if I didnt have my seat belt on. Than I went for a ride in my budies Mustang GT with stock suspension and all I can say is I couldent stand it. It rode like my I35 only worse. Lots of vibration. I wasnt almost launched from my seat when we went over the speed bump as I had in the S2000 but for some reason it was just so much worse. The only thing I can attribute this to is chassis rigidity (the S2000 has a VERY rigid chassis) because every car I've ridden in that has a rigid chassis I've loved the way it rides and handles in comparison to every car I've ever ridden in that has a less ridgid chassis I couldent stand.

So I think I've really learned something about myself and my I35. I think if you've felt your car could ride and handle better you should really consider the SFCs. I am going to get them done as soon as I can.

Now I just wish I could ride in a FWD car with a stiff chassis, like a RSX-S, or Mini Cooper to be absolutly sure that the chassis stiffness is really whats bothering me about the I35.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
It's business time.

One of the key components to a composed ride with planted cornering is chassis rigidity. Not to be a sack rider but the reason why BMWs have such fantastic handling cars is because of their chassis strengh. Even my dad's old 318is (as slow as it is) drives amazingly. It handles very well but over bumps it absorbs them better than most of the cars I've owned. It's suspension isn't that sophisticated and it's springs rates aren't extremely high so I attribute most of it to it's chassis strength.

SFCs should help, I'm sure. Do you have a LTB?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your compairing cars with completely different suspensions then your I35.

Honda's 4 wheel double wishbone independent FWD setup and BMW's 4 wheel independent RWD setup. It's like compairing apples to a hard shell coconut.

Of course they handle and drive completely different then your Infiniti, there built completely different. It's not just the chassis either, it's the weight distribution, suspension and drive trane.

You will never get your I35 to drive anything like an S2000 or a BMW.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:56 PM

I thought the S2000 was a rear driver?

Any way, I didnt like the ride on the stock suspension that much just because it was uncontroled. When I switched to lower/stiffer springs and the buttery Illuminas I was much happier.

I've also considered making some SFC's, but Ill have to wait till I have the time.

Let us know what you think if/when you get them installed.