5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PCV Valve hose

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 05:58 PM

PCV Valve hose

2001 Maxima GLE, 141K miles:

So, I did the rear valve cover replacement today. I also did the plugs, upper intake gaskets and nabbed a new PCV valve. The hose coming off the PCV Valve ( hose is part# 11826-2Y006) cracked when remove the old valve. Not surprised as it was likely original and hard as a rock.

What is the diameter of this hose? I can order the official one from nissanpartsdeal (part# 11826-2Y006) or Dorman hose (part# 46013) from Autozone? Otherwise, I am guessing I can just pickup a length of hose and use that? Just not clear on the diameter.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:20 PM

If I remember correctly, it is 10mm but if want tighten fit can use 9mm hose.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:19 AM

what I always do is use the open end of a wrench to measure the size of the fitting the hose was on. use an SAE not a metric wrench than go get the size from the parts store.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:27 PM

I'm curious what you end up doing...I'm in the same boat. Just replaced the rear valve cover and PCV valve and my hose is hard as a rock with cracks on the ends where it plugs in.

I'm looking at Nissanpartsdeal.com where I usually get a lot of stuff but after tax and shipping I'm coming out at $36. That's a lot of dough for that hose and I don't want to spend it.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:21 PM

I finished putting everything back together today. I ended up just putting a couple wraps of electrical tape on the PCV valve end of the hose that had a small crack. Works well enough for now.

I'll replace the hose later if my rear valve cover replacement job holds out. I have replaced the front valve cover before and it didn't leak after. Hoping for the same on this job. I'll also note that there is a possibility (from my reading of this forum) that it could be an RMS leak. My diagnosis of rear valve cover leaking in the first place is because there was smoke coming from the passenger side area of the intake manifold at the rear valve cover.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by maximanut2001
I finished putting everything back together today. I ended up just putting a couple wraps of electrical tape on the PCV valve end of the hose that had a small crack. Works well enough for now.

I'll replace the hose later if my rear valve cover replacement job holds out. I have replaced the front valve cover before and it didn't leak after. Hoping for the same on this job. I'll also note that there is a possibility (from my reading of this forum) that it could be an RMS leak. My diagnosis of rear valve cover leaking in the first place is because there was smoke coming from the passenger side area of the intake manifold at the rear valve cover.
That's the same thing that's going on with mine. I could see smoke coming from the front and rear of the engine and visually I could see quite a bit of oil coming from the front valve cover. I replaced the gasket on the front first and it is not leaking, so I went ahead and did the rear one as well. Then I took the car on a 3.5 hour trip and when I got there I popped the hood and there was still a ton of smoke coming from behind the intake manifold...I was hoping it was just old oil that had leaked out from before that I wasn't able to reach back there to clean when I did the job. These oil leaks are killing me...the car is in great shape but the oil leaks will send it to the graveyard before wear and tear does.

I have already replaced the leaking power steering pump with an OEM new unit, new OEM power steering hose, new front main oil seal when I did the belts and pulleys. I had replaced the suspension and steering parts with all new Moog problem solver stuff but the lower control arms were ruined within a month because of the leaking oil. Now my car shakes on the highway when I press the gas, just like it did before.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
That's the same thing that's going on with mine. I could see smoke coming from the front and rear of the engine and visually I could see quite a bit of oil coming from the front valve cover. I replaced the gasket on the front first and it is not leaking, so I went ahead and did the rear one as well. Then I took the car on a 3.5 hour trip and when I got there I popped the hood and there was still a ton of smoke coming from behind the intake manifold...I was hoping it was just old oil that had leaked out from before that I wasn't able to reach back there to clean when I did the job. These oil leaks are killing me...the car is in great shape but the oil leaks will send it to the graveyard before wear and tear does.

I have already replaced the leaking power steering pump with an OEM new unit, new OEM power steering hose, new front main oil seal when I did the belts and pulleys. I had replaced the suspension and steering parts with all new Moog problem solver stuff but the lower control arms were ruined within a month because of the leaking oil. Now my car shakes on the highway when I press the gas, just like it did before.

I haven't taken mine on a long drive yet. Will be making a 30 minute run sometime tomorrow. That should be enough to see. I have also had the power steering hose replaced (used OEM part) and that appears to be doing fine.

If there are more leaks, I'll be getting a new (to me) pickup truck.