5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FREEWAY RULES. (really long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 07:25 PM

Okay guys, I will probably become like Dr. Evil to everybody on the board, but I could not sit here and not say anything. For forty hours a week, I am one of THEM. That's right, I patrol the streets looking for this stuff. The other time, I'm in the MAX looking for cops, too.

Some common misconceptions:

1. Traffic enforcement cruisers usually have front and rear facing radar capable of measuring speed wether the cruiser is moving or standing still. This means they can check speed on vehicle approaching or going away.

2. If the cop is good, he will not activate the radar until he sees a speeder. In this case, detectors are absolutely useless.

3. I have issued many citations to people who are afraid to pass me. It makes me think that something must be wrong and they don't want me to see the license plate. Remember, the cruiser can pace you just as well from in front, and it will hold up just as well in court.

4. Traffic enforcement is being done more often in details--five or six cops at a time. That means the observer is often not in a police car at all, and you may have no way of knowing where he is. Rabbit chaser will not work.

5. You are WAY better off if you do not try to get away from the police. I say this because, IF you are caught after you run (doesn't matter if it constitutes evading or eluding) there is no way in hell you will get away with a warning. On the other hand, if you stop and admit your mistake, a warning is entirely possible.

6. What I described above is not a speed trap. A speed trap is where the speed limit suddenly changes (usually 15 MPH or more) with little or no advance warning. Cops sit right at the new speed limit sign and stop and cite drivers. Very rare these days except in some rural areas with no other means for government revenue.

7. The laser beam from a LIDAR is very small. The only way a detector will know about it is if the beam actually strikes the detector. Chances of that are not very good, especially since cops are trained to aim at the grill and not the windshield.

But my best advice overall is to simply not speed in the first place. I regularly run against other guys in my MAX, but it's always zero to just-above-speed limit runs. If you want to run more than 15 mph above the limit, you need to find a race track, or you truly deserve to be in jail.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:02 PM

If you want to run more than 15 mph above the limit, you need to find a race track, or you truly deserve to be in jail. [/B][/QUOTE]

I just hate this mentality, the system considers you a criminal if you speed. You actually sit on the same bench as the person who sells drugs, a burglar, or else. I think this is unfair to motorists, all around the world, that the traffic enforcement is done by means of financially prosecuting the drivers. Like one guy in Germany showed his *** in the windshield..mwa-haha.

I did a paper in college trying to prove that cops have "production" goals. I called on County's Atty's office in hopes to get some numbers, but was declined answer. Look around: neighborhoods are being developed BEFORE new roads are built; existing roads just dont have the capacity to handle traffic. We got a scared Joe who doesn't want to spend his hard-earned $ on gas staying in traffic jam, thus he is going a little faste to avoid traffic, but the System wants him to stay his *** and burn gas.

The Speed Limit signs are always there! Donut-eating cops sit 40 hrs/week in their V8 monsters burning needlessly tons of fuel, paid for by taxpayers. Traffic Citation revenue, fuel tax, toll revenue, registration fees, sales tax...please write to a congressman near you LOL
Old 03-07-2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by tbirdrob
Okay guys, I will probably become like Dr. Evil to everybody on the board, but I could not sit here and not say anything. For forty hours a week, I am one of THEM. That's right, I patrol the streets looking for this stuff. The other time, I'm in the MAX looking for cops, too.

1. Traffic enforcement cruisers usually have front and rear facing radar capable of measuring speed wether the cruiser is moving or standing still. This means they can check speed on vehicle approaching or going away.

2. If the cop is good, he will not activate the radar until he sees a speeder. In this case, detectors are absolutely useless.

3. I have issued many citations to people who are afraid to pass me. It makes me think that something must be wrong and they don't want me to see the license plate. Remember, the cruiser can pace you just as well from in front, and it will hold up just as well in court.

4. Traffic enforcement is being done more often in details--five or six cops at a time. That means the observer is often not in a police car at all, and you may have no way of knowing where he is. Rabbit chaser will not work.

5. You are WAY better off if you do not try to get away from the police. I say this because, IF you are caught after you run (doesn't matter if it constitutes evading or eluding) there is no way in hell you will get away with a warning. On the other hand, if you stop and admit your mistake, a warning is entirely possible.

6. What I described above is not a speed trap. A speed trap is where the speed limit suddenly changes (usually 15 MPH or more) with little or no advance warning. Cops sit right at the new speed limit sign and stop and cite drivers. Very rare these days except in some rural areas with no other means for government revenue.

7. The laser beam from a LIDAR is very small. The only way a detector will know about it is if the beam actually strikes the detector. Chances of that are not very good, especially since cops are trained to aim at the grill and not the windshield.

But my best advice overall is to simply not speed in the first place. I regularly run against other guys in my MAX, but it's always zero to just-above-speed limit runs. If you want to run more than 15 mph above the limit, you need to find a race track, or you truly deserve to be in jail.
Interesting...you're a cop, you tell us not to speed, you think if you go 15 over you belong in jail, but you STREET RACE?!?!? If anyone belongs in jail it's people who race on the streets like that.

When you're on the freeway at night, and there's nobody there, there's nothing to worry about (by the way I do feel that weaving wildly in thick traffic is dangerous), but when youre on the streets youre spinning your tires side by side with someone else, plus you have to worry about pedestrians and opposing traffic.

I'm glad that as a cop, you spoke up, but what you're saying doesn't make sense. If you simply gave us you're input and told us not to race I totally would have respected that. However, you are being two-faced about the issue.

Please respond back. How do you justify what you said?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
If you want to run more than 15 mph above the limit, you need to find a race track, or you truly deserve to be in jail.
I just hate this mentality, the system considers you a criminal if you speed. You actually sit on the same bench as the person who sells drugs, a burglar, or else. I think this is unfair to motorists, all around the world, that the traffic enforcement is done by means of financially prosecuting the drivers. Like one guy in Germany showed his *** in the windshield..mwa-haha.

I did a paper in college trying to prove that cops have "production" goals. I called on County's Atty's office in hopes to get some numbers, but was declined answer. Look around: neighborhoods are being developed BEFORE new roads are built; existing roads just dont have the capacity to handle traffic. We got a scared Joe who doesn't want to spend his hard-earned $ on gas staying in traffic jam, thus he is going a little faste to avoid traffic, but the System wants him to stay his *** and burn gas.

The Speed Limit signs are always there! Donut-eating cops sit 40 hrs/week in their V8 monsters burning needlessly tons of fuel, paid for by taxpayers. Traffic Citation revenue, fuel tax, toll revenue, registration fees, sales tax...please write to a congressman near you LOL [/B][/QUOTE]

police officers arent out there to generate revenue for the state or county. they are they to try to ensure the safety of everyone. the fine for a speeding ticket isnt meant to pay the salaries of state employees, it is your punishment for breaking the law.

Originally posted by Dan4614

When you're on the freeway at night, and there's nobody there, there's nothing to worry about
so one car accidents are just fiction? are you sure the passengers in your car are thinking the same thing? do you think people who get into fatal car accidents are thinking "there IS something to worry about but i dont care"? no...they're thinking "i'm on the freeway at night, and there's nobody here, there's nothing to worry about"
dont be dumb.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Ok Dr. Evil(J/K) ,

I personally have NOTHING against GOOD cops that do their job properly. Trust me I know plenty on both sides. I've been a Firechiefs' stepson for 9-10yrs. and have interacted with plenty at Police/Fireman barques/baseball games and out on the street.

First, "Traffic enforcement cruisers usually have front and rear facing radar capable of measuring speed wether the cruiser is moving or standing still. This means they can check speed on vehicle approaching or going away" is BS. I have picked up their faint signal from behind before I passed them to only have it MAX out the scale. There is NO way that cruisers "usually" have front and rear, otherwise I would have the SAME strength signal behind them and infront. Some maybe, but DEFINITELY NOT enough to be considered "usually".

Second, "If the cop is good, he will not activate the radar until he sees a speeder. In this case, detectors are absolutely useless." is also BS. 9-of-10 cops do NOT have instant on radar, which is what I believe you are referring too. Conventional radar requires TIME to activate(look down and reach to turn on) and by the time they see a speeder they MOST LIKELY will be spoted and the brakes will be applied before you EVER activate the switch and aim the gun. I know for a FACT, I've seen it in person, that it is NOT that simple to aim the radar and register a VALID reading UNLESS the radar is ALREADY activated. You MUST hit a FLAT reflective surface such as a license plate or rear portion/trunk of the car to get a VALID reading. Dark surfaces, curved surfaces, and car bras SEVERELY interfere. If you believe this you have definitely NOT been a Hwy Patrol.

Third, "I have issued many citations to people who are afraid to pass me. It makes me think that something must be wrong and they don't want me to see the license plate. Remember, the cruiser can pace you just as well from in front, and it will hold up just as well in court." is true, but not likely UNLESS you have a clueless/reckless driver NOT paying attention. I guarantee the LONG line of idiots following a cop who almost always does the speed limit or LESS will trigger my instincts that something is up ahead. Therefore, I slow down set the cruise control and pass the "sheep"/cop. There is nothing a cop can do, but jump behind me and intimidate. He can't do anything when the cruise control is set.

Fourth, "Traffic enforcement is being done more often in details--five or six cops at a time. That means the observer is often not in a police car at all, and you may have no way of knowing where he is. Rabbit chaser will not work." might be used OCCASIONALLY in HIGH POPULATION RISK/ACCIDENT areas, but there is NEVER going to be enough cops to patrol anything other than SPECIFICALLY chosen high risk localities. Police forces are far understaffed to have "5-6 cops at a time" roam the city streets and especially the OPEN highways to worry the average speeder.

Fifth, "You are WAY better off if you do not try to get away from the police. I say this because, IF you are caught after you run (doesn't matter if it constitutes evading or eluding) there is no way in hell you will get away with a warning. On the other hand, if you stop and admit your mistake, a warning is entirely possible." is 100% TRUE. There is no way running is a better solution now that Helicopters are becoming more comon and since lawyers are getting CHEAPER.

Sixth, "The laser beam from a LIDAR is very small. The only way a detector will know about it is if the beam actually strikes the detector. Chances of that are not very good, especially since cops are trained to aim at the grill and not the windshield." is again BS. Laser is VERY effective and accurate, but MUST be used while stationary. It is VERY difficult, if not impossible, to use laser from a moving vehicle. That is why these are used as "speed warning" signs in construction areas and speed trap zones. However, the narrow beam is DEFINITELY large enough for my Valentine One to pick up before I even see the "speed warning" sign and there is NO WAY a police officer can use it accurately other than POINT BLANK range. Also, these are RARELY used by Police due to their difficult use and limited range/area covered.

How many patrol cars do you know that use these as their PRIMARY detection?

Seventh, "But my best advice overall is to simply not speed in the first place. I regularly run against other guys in my MAX, but it's always zero to just-above-speed limit runs. If you want to run more than 15 mph above the limit, you need to find a race track, or you truly deserve to be in jail. " is good advice, but somewhat unexpected from a "cop". However, the "speed limit" is a vague number a civil Engineer chose to accomodate ANY possible form of traffic traveling on that road under MOST posssible weather conditions PLUS an added safety margin. Basically, a 1970 Mustang, Tractor/trailer semi, or whatever trying to barrel down the freeway is going to be ACCOUNTED for in the "speed limit". Therefore, a NEWER vehicle can safely travel at higher speeds due to better braking, lighting, aerodynamics, handling, tires, etc., while remaining PERFECTLY SAFE and under control. Hence, the raising of the speed limits recently. Newer cars FAR exceed previous vehicles abilities, therefore they should be able to travel reasonably above the POSTED speed limit.

If I was a TRAFFIC cop, which is possible if my first career is not successful, I would focus on looking for drunk drivers, stolen vehicles, people who HOG the left hand lane and put other drivers at risk while passing on the right, and especially people who do LESS than the speed limit. People who HOG the left lane and do LESS than the speed limit, FORCE people to take RISKS and cost lives.

I argue people who MODERATELY speed are generally more aware of their surroundings and cause fewer accidents. I also know cops who believe this and enforce REASONABLE speed limits depending on the surrounding conditions and situation at hand.

I truely RESPECT and appreciate Police officers who use logical judgement vs. "by the book ONLY attitudes" on a daily basis.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:30 AM

Re: ...

I knew it would happen--everybody loves a challenge.

To those who simply don't believe what I am talking about, call your local highway patrol office and schedule some ride-alongs. See for yourself how it's really done.

To those who feel I am being hypocritical, let me emphasize some things. I have no problem with an acceleration contest from a stop light when the road is clear and when the contest ends at less than 15 mph above the speed limit. I see absolutely nothing unsafe about it, though I will admit that it's against the law. I have never, and I will never issue a citation to a person who does this.

On the other hand, the people who like to race at speeds way above the limit and through traffic are driving recklessly, which is a crime much more dangerous than even, yes, possessing illegal drugs.

I could maybe give a guy a break for 20 over the limit, but guys here are talking about driving over 100 mph and racing to 130+ !

Anyway-let me get back to eating my donuts.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: Re: ...

I knew it would happen--everybody loves a challenge.

To those who simply don't believe what I am talking about, call your local highway patrol office and schedule some ride-alongs. See for yourself how it's really done.

To those who feel I am being hypocritical, let me emphasize some things. I have no problem with an acceleration contest from a stop light when the road is clear and when the contest ends at less than 15 mph above the speed limit. I see absolutely nothing unsafe about it, though I will admit that it's against the law. I have never, and I will never issue a citation to a person who does this.

On the other hand, the people who like to race at speeds way above the limit and through traffic are driving recklessly, which is a crime much more dangerous than even, yes, possessing illegal drugs.

I could maybe give a guy a break for 20 over the limit, but guys here are talking about driving over 100 mph and racing to 130+ !

Anyway-let me get back to eating my donuts.
Challenge? Weak response. It's just a debate. Never mind you apparently don't have a valid response.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Challenge? Weak response. It's just a debate. Never mind you apparently don't have a valid response.
you both posted what you wanted to. no need to attack the other person.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by Newman96SE

you both posted what you wanted to. no need to attack the other person.
Attack?

Sorry never meant it like that. His statements and ESPECIALLY his response were a joke.

I doubt he's actually a cop anyways.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:11 PM

This is not about attacking or challengin. Like Icey2k1 said, this is a DEBATE. Debates should grow and get more interesting not degrade and turn in to flame wars (I recall saying something about no flaming on this thread ).

Anyway, I would really like to see some statistics about race related accidents on the streets vs the freeway. I see soooo many race related street accident, but I've never seen one on the freeway. Think about it, every week on the news you see pics of some NOSed out Honda jack *** who was street racing and ran their car strait into a telephone poll or opposing traffic when they lot control spinning their tires, chirping, etc...But how often do you hear about racing accidents on the freeway??? (I know it happens, but I've never seen it)
Old 03-08-2002, 05:38 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

my freeway rules

To get back on topic...My freeway rules are:

1: never tailgate, under any circumstance. It will always end up bad

2: always pay attention, checking mirrors, watching ahead of you, ect...

3: My radar is only an early warning device, what I do with it is my own doing, and most of my doing is common sense. The only times I have ever gotten a ticket, either with or without a radar detector is when I wasn't paying attention, ^^^see #2^^^

4: never look suspicious. Police look for people acting "too" good too. Act normal, drive a few above the limit. Don't be afraid to pass a cop. If he doesn't like what you are doing he will blip his siren.(happenens to me a lot) Try waving or nodding towards a cop, they have ego's and like to be recognized, if he is next to you look over and nod, they like that, it's a respect kindof thing.

5: When driving fast, ALWAYS ALWAYS expect the most dumb a$$ **** in the world to happen. Expect the old lady 2 lanes over to jump in front of you doing 10 below, expect the semi trailer to cut you off. And when you expect it plan for an emergency "exit". ALWAYS have a way out of any situation you might put yourself into, 2 different path's or routs out or around the situation.

6: When driving fast and passing cars NEVER NEVER assume that your blind spots are clear. There is always some one driving as fast or faster than you, and thay could be right next to you when you decide to change lanes.

7: When sitting at a light and there is a line waiting to leave a parking lot, let 1 car out. No one ever has consideration for these poor folks stuck in a parking lot. They want to get home too. When any kindof traffic is trying to merge into your lane, let 1 car in. 1 car is not going to kill you. If every driver practiced this then traffic would be much better.

8: When driving and your lane merges, don't try and zoom to the end of your lane and cut everybody off, your just being an a$$hole. If everyone did this traffic would be much better.(see also #7)

9: If you get pulled over for doing something stupid, bend over and take it like a man. Don't start b!tching and making a scene. If you **** the police officer off he will remember you and when it comes time to fight it in court he will remember you and have a vendeta to settle, and then you can forget about him not showing up.(see #4)

10: If you get pulled over for something stupid or not your fault, the police officer is not the one to argue with. You argue with him and it only ****es him off, and you can forget about the chance of getting off in court.( Police officers, Judges, and DA's all work on the buddy buddy system. If the police officer says you were an a$$hole, than the DA or the Judge will in no way cut you a deal, they will screw your a$$ to the wall.(All of this is known because I have a police officer aquantence, and the first thing he asked when I asked him to drop a ticket was,"were you rude to the officer, cause if you were no one will pull the ticket.))(see #9, & #4)

11: NEVER NEVER assume that you are under 100% control of any situation. A wise man said "assumption is the mother of all f^ckups".

(and to think all of this godly wisdome came from a 22 year old...
Old 03-08-2002, 05:42 PM

addendum

addendum to the above..

12: NEVER NEVER trust your mirrors, not even the "blind spot" ones. It only takes half a second to look and prevent an accident, it takes a lifetime and possibly a life to go thru one.( not to mention $$money$$)
Old 03-08-2002, 06:22 PM

Wait, we were talking about freeway rules? I thought we were cop bashing and getting into flame wars.

Seriously though, good rules. Thanks for the input. I'm thought this thread had caught on fire--thank you for extinguishing it and contributing to the DEBATE.

You're 100% right about NEVER trusting the MIRRORS. In fact, today, I was cruising at 70, I turn on my blinker and slowly start to change lanes. Some idiot in the next lane over jumps into the lane without warning so I hold my horn down and hold my position in between the lanes. He swerves to the side, so I take the lane. Next thing I know, I hear screeching tires. I look in my mirror and see him flying back and forth counterstearing. Lucky for him there wasn't much traffic around and he didn't hit anything. I bet the f*cker will never forget to check his blind spot again.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Dan4614
Wait, we were talking about freeway rules? I thought we were cop bashing and getting into flame wars.

Seriously though, good rules. Thanks for the input. I'm thought this thread had caught on fire--thank you for extinguishing it and contributing to the DEBATE.

You're 100% right about NEVER trusting the MIRRORS. In fact, today, I was cruising at 70, I turn on my blinker and slowly start to change lanes. Some idiot in the next lane over jumps into the lane without warning so I hold my horn down and hold my position in between the lanes. He swerves to the side, so I take the lane. Next thing I know, I hear screeching tires. I look in my mirror and see him flying back and forth counterstearing. Lucky for him there wasn't much traffic around and he didn't hit anything. I bet the f*cker will never forget to check his blind spot again.
That is the perfect example to why you should check your mirrors, which brings me to this...

13: Yielding the right away is a responsibility that responsible drivers do for all the nincompoops out there. It is better to yield than risk damage or injury.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:00 PM

forgot another one

13: BLINKERS BLINKERS BLINKERS. Use them, love them, be one with them. They are your friend. Good driving includes using blinkers and using them effectivly. If you are driving too fast to use them you are no longer driving good and need to slow down to within your limits.

14: When using your blinkers dont forget to turn them off. It only confuses us who do use them. (if I only had a silenced rimfire 22 for every idiot driving down the freeway with their blinker on.)
Old 03-09-2002, 10:25 PM

Re: forgot another one

Originally posted by Rob'sAE
(if I only had a silenced rimfire 22 for every idiot driving down the freeway with their blinker on.)
shooting people on the road = good driving?

Old 03-09-2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Hmm.. it just occurred to me. Can cops really sense how fast you're going if he's going the opposite way?

A relative once got ticketed for being 10 over the limit in a long stretch of highway from Minneapolis to SD. The cop was going the opposite way and made a u turn to pull us over.
I don't know about the US but here in Canada, I've been pulled over by a cop going the other way.
I was following a minivan doing 160 km/h (100 mph). I was doing about 155 km/h (about a third of a mile behind the minivan), and a Jetta was behind me (about 1/4 mile) going the same speed as me. A bunch of other cars were on the highway.

Anyway, I noticed a cop on the other side. Kept an eye on him in my rear view mirror and noticed he made a U-turn to come on my side so I immediately slowed down to blend in with the other cars. The Jetta therefore passed me (he didn't slow down), then the cop passed me pacing the Jetta. 20 seconds later, he pulls over the Jetta. I figured I was out of the woods until I came up to them and from the side of the road, the cop waived me over. He clocked me and paced the Jetta. I asked him about the minivan and he answered, "can't catch 'em all". Damn minivan (the fastest of the three of us and in front) is the one that got away.

I agree this is an unlucky exception but here they can clock you going in the opposite direction AND they'll easily pull over more than one car at a time. I would assume it's the same in the US.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:33 AM

Re: ...

"First, "Traffic enforcement cruisers usually have front and rear facing radar capable of measuring speed wether the cruiser is moving or standing still. This means they can check speed on vehicle approaching or going away" is BS. I have picked up their faint signal from behind before I passed them to only have it MAX out the scale. There is NO way that cruisers "usually" have front and rear, otherwise I would have the SAME strength signal behind them and infront. Some maybe, but DEFINITELY NOT enough to be considered "usually"."

This is not BS. Even if it is handheld RADAR, most moderatley-equipped police departments have the ability to monitor stationary as well as moving traffic in either direction. I'm not sure what you mean by it was faint from behind you only to have it MAX out, but the signal strength on your RADAR detector will be proportioniate to the signal it receives, including the fact that the RADAR gun might not be pointed directly at your car. If you get a weak signal it can mean that the RADAR gun is pointed in your general direction as opposed to a strong signal if the gun is pointed right at you. RADAR waves can be reflected so it's also possible that you are receiving waves that were never intended to measure your speed in the first place. I can accept that someone with a RADAR detector and common sense can learn a portion about police RADAR habits, but not enough to make assumptions like you are making.

"Second, "If the cop is good, he will not activate the radar until he sees a speeder. In this case, detectors are absolutely useless." is also BS. 9-of-10 cops do NOT have instant on radar, which is what I believe you are referring too. Conventional radar requires TIME to activate(look down and reach to turn on) and by the time they see a speeder they MOST LIKELY will be spoted and the brakes will be applied before you EVER activate the switch and aim the gun. I know for a FACT, I've seen it in person, that it is NOT that simple to aim the radar and register a VALID reading UNLESS the radar is ALREADY activated. You MUST hit a FLAT reflective surface such as a license plate or rear portion/trunk of the car to get a VALID reading. Dark surfaces, curved surfaces, and car bras SEVERELY interfere. If you believe this you have definitely NOT been a Hwy Patrol."

No, this is not BS. Almost every single modern-day RADAR equipment is "instant on". All this means is that the officer flips a switch or presses a button that actually sends out the RADAR beam for speed measuring. The RADAR can already be on and "warmed up" so to speak, but there will be almost NO delay in stationary RADAR when obtaining a speed reading. The button is pressed, the beam goes out and is reflected back at the speed of light and the RADAR computes the speed at the tiniest fraction of a second. By the time the RADAR detector goes off and your foot hits the brakes you are screwed. With moving RADAR, the same button is pressed but it takes anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds for the RADAR to compute the patrol car's speed and then it gets your speed an instant afterwards. So there's your delay. Dark surfaces have no impact on RADAR accuracy or ability to measure speed. Curved surfaces and bras do "somewhat" but not enough for any of us to reap any real benefits whatsoever.

"Fifth, "You are WAY better off if you do not try to get away from the police. I say this because, IF you are caught after you run (doesn't matter if it constitutes evading or eluding) there is no way in hell you will get away with a warning. On the other hand, if you stop and admit your mistake, a warning is entirely possible." is 100% TRUE. There is no way running is a better solution now that Helicopters are becoming more comon and since lawyers are getting CHEAPER."

Well, I agree with you about his statement being 100% true but I question your reason for agreeing with him. Helicopters and lawyers? Come on!! So this is the reason why you would pull over? Didn't your parents teach you the difference between right and wrong? Would you steal something if you thought your chances of getting away with it were more likely than not? How about this: A cop signals you to pull over and you pull over so you don't put your safety, the cop's safety, and everyone elses safety in jeopardy. Do you know how many innocent people die or are injured a year as the result of police pursuits? Or how about this: The vast majority of people in this country see fit to allow the police to have the power to pull you over for violating some sort of law. Try obeying that power whether you think the cop is right or wrong. Then, after the fact, get one of those cheap lawyers you were talking about to defend you.

"Sixth, "The laser beam from a LIDAR is very small. The only way a detector will know about it is if the beam actually strikes the detector. Chances of that are not very good, especially since cops are trained to aim at the grill and not the windshield." is again BS. Laser is VERY effective and accurate, but MUST be used while stationary. It is VERY difficult, if not impossible, to use laser from a moving vehicle. That is why these are used as "speed warning" signs in construction areas and speed trap zones. However, the narrow beam is DEFINITELY large enough for my Valentine One to pick up before I even see the "speed warning" sign and there is NO WAY a police officer can use it accurately other than POINT BLANK range. Also, these are RARELY used by Police due to their difficult use and limited range/area covered."

Sorry...have to disagree with you again. LIDAR is extremely useful because of it's narrow beam width. It's something like one-half of one degree. Which means that the beam is only something like 2-feet wide at 1000 ft. at most. I don't have my scientific calculator with me or I would compute the exact beam width. And they have very effective range and are extremely accurate and concise in that they can pick out an individual speeding car out of a group. One reason why they are rarely used by police is that they are much more expensive than regular RADAR units. You are way off base on this one.

"If I was a TRAFFIC cop, which is possible if my first career is not successful, I would focus on looking for drunk drivers, stolen vehicles, people who HOG the left hand lane and put other drivers at risk while passing on the right, and especially people who do LESS than the speed limit. People who HOG the left lane and do LESS than the speed limit, FORCE people to take RISKS and cost lives."

If you were a traffic cop you would undoubtedly have an entirely different position on this subject much like I would have a different position on abortion if I were a woman. And if you were really a traffic cop, you would look for whatever violations your boss told you to look for. If he sat you on the side of the road at 5pm and said "find speeders", that's what you would do. If he sat you on the side of the road at 2am and said "find drunks", that's what you would do. I'm sure you would probably find a lot of things to pull people over for that they (those people) would not agree with you on.

"I truely RESPECT and appreciate Police officers who use logical judgement vs. "by the book ONLY attitudes" on a daily basis."

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Cops are just people. Some are smarter than others.

And to the idiotic moron who hates cops and thinks they are just drug dealers with badges...

***you're not worthy of a comment***

Tony
Old 03-10-2002, 09:01 AM

nice essay tony
Old 03-10-2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
And to the idiotic moron who hates cops and thinks they are just drug dealers with badges...

***you're not worthy of a comment***
Tony [/B]
***neither are you***
Old 03-10-2002, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Larrio
here is a link to help you talk your way out of a traffic ticket. The website is a little weird, but just read the content and don't pay attention to the things on the side.

http://www.ernieshouseofwhoopass.com/nospeeding.html
That was a HILLARIOUS website. My favorite was the guy who purposely crapped his pants when he got pulled over, told the officer he had diarrhea and got out of the ticket! What would be even funnier is if the cop, instead of pulling him over, was just trying to get through traffic and then just sped by him!!

Tony
Old 03-10-2002, 10:35 PM

This is not BS. Even if it is handheld RADAR, most moderatley-equipped police departments have the ability to monitor stationary as well as moving traffic in either direction. I'm not sure what you mean by it was faint from behind you only to have it MAX out, but the signal strength on your RADAR detector will be proportioniate to the signal it receives, including the fact that the RADAR gun might not be pointed directly at your car. If you get a weak signal it can mean that the RADAR gun is pointed in your general direction as opposed to a strong signal if the gun is pointed right at you. RADAR waves can be reflected so it's also possible that you are receiving waves that were never intended to measure your speed in the first place. I can accept that someone with a RADAR detector and common sense can learn a portion about police RADAR habits, but not enough to make assumptions like you are making.
If your not recieving a signal 50-100ft or less behind the officer and then as soon as you pass him, you recieve a 100% FULL signal, he does NOT have REAR radar, ONLY front. If there is a rear radar it would hit you with a stronger signal, not just traces from the gun aimed to the front. Again, some cops may have REAR detection radar, but DEFINITELY not enough cops have this to be considered "USUALLY" as previously stated.

No, this is not BS. Almost every single modern-day RADAR equipment is "instant on". All this means is that the officer flips a switch or presses a button that actually sends out the RADAR beam for speed measuring. The RADAR can already be on and "warmed up" so to speak, but there will be almost NO delay in stationary RADAR when obtaining a speed reading. The button is pressed, the beam goes out and is reflected back at the speed of light and the RADAR computes the speed at the tiniest fraction of a second. By the time the RADAR detector goes off and your foot hits the brakes you are screwed. With moving RADAR, the same button is pressed but it takes anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds for the RADAR to compute the patrol car's speed and then it gets your speed an instant afterwards. So there's your delay. Dark surfaces have no impact on RADAR accuracy or ability to measure speed. Curved surfaces and bras do "somewhat" but not enough for any of us to reap any real benefits whatsoever.
Instant on radar is radar in which the officer can aim the gun push a button to activate it, NOT reach down and flip a switch. No signal is produced until the cop pushes the button. If it was instant on it would NOT remain on after they "gun" you. It would turn on for a few seconds and then turn off after a few seconds. I've seen this in person and instant radar is a short burst device NOT a continuous signal. I've picked up a very short period and then nothing multiple times to finally see a cop sitting in "aimed position". I've passed MORE cops with a conventional radar gun sitting on their dash on while having someone pulled over. Definitely NOT instant on. I have rarely seen a cop use instant on around here.

Well, I agree with you about his statement being 100% true but I question your reason for agreeing with him. Helicopters and lawyers? Come on!! So this is the reason why you would pull over? Didn't your parents teach you the difference between right and wrong? Would you steal something if you thought your chances of getting away with it were more likely than not? How about this: A cop signals you to pull over and you pull over so you don't put your safety, the cop's safety, and everyone elses safety in jeopardy. Do you know how many innocent people die or are injured a year as the result of police pursuits? Or how about this: The vast majority of people in this country see fit to allow the police to have the power to pull you over for violating some sort of law. Try obeying that power whether you think the cop is right or wrong. Then, after the fact, get one of those cheap lawyers you were talking about to defend you.
No additional comment necesary, just my opinion.

Sorry...have to disagree with you again. LIDAR is extremely useful because of it's narrow beam width. It's something like one-half of one degree. Which means that the beam is only something like 2-feet wide at 1000 ft. at most. I don't have my scientific calculator with me or I would compute the exact beam width. And they have very effective range and are extremely accurate and concise in that they can pick out an individual speeding car out of a group. One reason why they are rarely used by police is that they are much more expensive than regular RADAR units. You are way off base on this one.
Yes, it's useful in very limited situations. However, the "effective range" as you call it is not enough for MOVING cop cars. They are absolutely deadly at limited distances with small target areas and a stationary origin, however if it's a multilane hwy with multiple cars and the cop is traveling the opposite way, it's not likely to give an accurate reading. Again, I ask how many cops uses this? Not many. Why? Cost is not the only reason, otherwise I would see TONS of LASER signals in Las Vegas where the cops have state of the art everything. I don't know if "speed warning" signs are equivalent to cops LIDAR, but I pick them up LONG before there is a postive lock on my car. Again, they are NEVER used around here. I've seen maybe 2-3 on vacation, but none around here.

If you were a traffic cop you would undoubtedly have an entirely different position on this subject much like I would have a different position on abortion if I were a woman. And if you were really a traffic cop, you would look for whatever violations your boss told you to look for. If he sat you on the side of the road at 5pm and said "find speeders", that's what you would do. If he sat you on the side of the road at 2am and said "find drunks", that's what you would do. I'm sure you would probably find a lot of things to pull people over for that they (those people) would not agree with you on.
I agree. No doubt most of my opinions would change if I saw it through their eyes.

I never said this was the absolute truth on anything, just my .02 which ain't worth much.