5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A tip for 2k2 (Auto's only) owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 06:14 AM
Very sound, Mike

A tip for 2k2 (Auto's only) owners

Disclaimer: This may not apply to your style of driving and the road conditions you're in but it's good to know for those who doesn't yet. I mentioned 2k2's only as i'm not sure if pre-2k2's have different gearing.
----------------------

With that out of the way, here's a good tip for the Automagic owners. Something which i also gathered from some of the Automagic owners here at the board.

If you think that the Max is somewhat sluggish when accelerating from a stop and at 30-40mph (e.g. city driving). Try driving around instead with your shifter set at "3" rather than "D".

Things i noticed:
1) The powerband is utilized more efficiently in 1 and 2 (e.g. ECU will shift at a slightly higher rpm)
2) Your highest gear while cruising in the city where a lot of stop/go/slow/zoom traffic takes place will be in 3rd. The significance of this is, you will be at the right gear to utilize the engine's power more efficiently. If you need to overtake someone a slight push on the accelerator will zoom you by without waiting for the transmission to drop from 4(D) -> 3.
3) Overall, the driving experience is much more enjoyable albeit at the cost of a slightly lower gas mileage.

Another thing worth noting, when on the highways cruising at 4th gear (OD) and you feel the need for speed (or rather, the need to overtake someone slower) instead of just flooring the accelerator right away do this:

1) Just when you think you should overtake, slide the shifter to the left (e.g. D -> 3)
2) A split second after, press a bit more on the accelerator.

At this point you'll notice a sudden jerk of speed. Keep it up until it's safe to return to your lane then slide the shifter back to D.

The significance of this is that instead of waiting for the ECU to downshift on your behalf when flooring it from 4th is you get a much more instant response and allows you to have a bit more control on exactly when the power should be applied to the wheels.

Hope this helps out a bit

- Mike
Old 03-22-2002, 01:03 PM

...Yup, I had figured all this out kinda' intuitively on my own as I drove around, especially on the highway when travelling 70-80mph in drive, you tap it over to 3rd, you raise from 2500 rpms to about 4000 rpms in an instant, which takes you much closer to optimum rev range for hp and for torque... (peak torque for the 3.5 occurs about 4400 rpms right?) This is a very handy (and exciting) way to drive your auto, and believe me, no one else on the freeway will think you are driving a 'slushbox'...
Old 03-22-2002, 03:28 PM

Nice write up!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:42 PM

this is also for the 2k-2k1 most likely
Old 10-28-2002, 05:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Downshifting

Thanks for the info on how to best use the gated shifter for the automatic transmission. You don't mention it, but would there be any detrimental effect to downshifting through the gears when approaching a red light to save the brakes, as long as you don't downshift to 2 at 80?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:09 PM

Is this safe for the tranny?

Originally posted by Matthew
...Yup, I had figured all this out kinda' intuitively on my own as I drove around, especially on the highway when travelling 70-80mph in drive, you tap it over to 3rd, you raise from 2500 rpms to about 4000 rpms in an instant, which takes you much closer to optimum rev range for hp and for torque... (peak torque for the 3.5 occurs about 4400 rpms right?) This is a very handy (and exciting) way to drive your auto, and believe me, no one else on the freeway will think you are driving a 'slushbox'...

I asked a similar question and got an indecisive answer. Basically will driving on the hwy at 4000 - 4700 for a prolonger period of time be harmeful to the tranny. By prolonged I mean say into work 5-10 miles. I like to stay in 3rd it is much more responsive.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

This reminds me of my old Accord V6 days.

To get some highway acceleration and a downshift to 3rd gear from "D4" you would seriously have to have your foot nearly flat on the floor to get the bloody fricken downshift. But instead, you could just drop the shifter back to D3 yourself, get the downshift manually, and apply *half* the throttle while still getting better overall acceleration.

Auto sucks.

SHIFT_manually

hehehe
Old 10-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Downshifting

Originally posted by kway007
Thanks for the info on how to best use the gated shifter for the automatic transmission. You don't mention it, but would there be any detrimental effect to downshifting through the gears when approaching a red light to save the brakes, as long as you don't downshift to 2 at 80?
I'm pretty sure that I heard before that it is not a good idea for a person with a manual transmission to downshift when stopping. This is because it is harder on the transmission, and it it easier/costs less to replace brake pads than it does to replace the transmission. I'm not sure if it would apply to an automatic......
Old 10-28-2002, 06:42 PM
The Definitive AE Master

after reading this it's no wonder ppl have problems with their tranny slipping, breaking, etc.

I just believe that manually making the engine shove the lower gear into the tranny when at high speeds with no clutch to transfer the power more smoothly is detrimental to the tranny. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not a hardcore mechanic or anything, it's just what I think.... someone can prove me wrong.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Very sound, Mike

Look at it this way, when you're cruising on the highway and you need instantaneous acceleration you can do it both ways:

1) Put the pedal to the metal and wait for the TC to unlock then downshift to 3rd, Or,

2) Slide the shifter to 3.

Either way your tranny takes the hit for going into 3rd gear.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Look at it this way, when you're cruising on the highway and you need instantaneous acceleration you can do it both ways:

1) Put the pedal to the metal and wait for the TC to unlock then downshift to 3rd, Or,

2) Slide the shifter to 3.

Either way your tranny takes the hit for going into 3rd gear.
i rather just let the ECU handle the job.... instead of manually doing it.. cuz if you think about it.. we do have AUTO's which we can't control for decent performance... thats the ECU's job. when im on the highway.. and wanna pass someone.. i just leave it at D. since i got some mods, it does help.. especially 1900 rpm to 2500 rpm.. thats when it revs fastest.. so i go from 50-78 mph with a breeze.. and i still can pass him.. don't even need to abuse my transmission.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by chi02max
i rather just let the ECU handle the job.... instead of manually doing it.. cuz if you think about it.. we do have AUTO's which we can't control for decent performance... thats the ECU's job. when im on the highway.. and wanna pass someone.. i just leave it at D. since i got some mods, it does help.. especially 1900 rpm to 2500 rpm.. thats when it revs fastest.. so i go from 50-78 mph with a breeze.. and i still can pass him.. don't even need to abuse my transmission.
I understand what you're saying but Nissan also put the gated shifter there for a reason other than cosmetics per their initial press releases.

As far as letting the ECU do its job. Either way it's still doing the job. The main difference is you're helping it do stuff faster.

And contrary to belief inspite of having Automatics we do have minimal control over how it should perform and comparing both steps i mentioned prior to this post you'll notice the difference quite well.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:03 PM

Thanks

Thanks SoundMike for the writte up... I currently drive an 02 SE automatic and have tried sliding it into third when I find myself in a situation to overtake another vehicle vs flooring it and waiting for the shift. I certainly wouldn't want to downshift with an auto tranny to a complete stop though.....
Although when driving manual I prefered to downshift and use the engine to do some of the braking, I do agree that eventually it does put an extra load on the tranny.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:12 PM

I used to use the (manual) tranny to help slow the car while stopping. That was until the tranny needed a rebuid at 100K at around $2000. Since then, I have come to realize that I would rather spend $100 on brakes instead.

Automatic transmissions use fliud between friction clutches (or plates). It will cause additional wear to the transmission to manually downshift from high RPM to a lower gear. Auto tranny's also cost a WHOLE lot more to rebuild, too.

Drive how you like. I will keep the aftermarket brake companies in business longer then the tranny rebuild shops.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:20 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Nice info Mike.. I ran my car t the track and picked up an extra .10 second by using your suggestion. It works for sure. I have been doing this on the street for a while !
Old 10-28-2002, 09:20 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by olincoles
It will cause additional wear to the transmission to manually downshift from high RPM to a lower gear.
I fully understand this concern but what difference does it make when you slide the shifter to 3 or just floor it until it downshifts to 3 on highway speeds?

Basically nothing except lag. That's my point.

Even when slowing down, if done right there's hardly any difference in letting the car slow down to a stop and letting it do so while pressing on the brakes. Granted doing so will be hard to do and letting the ECU do it's stuff is much better but it's still possible to do it the right way.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:28 PM

I fully understand this concern but what difference does it make when you slide the shifter to 3 or just floor it until it downshifts to 3 on highway speeds?

Basically nothing except lag. That's my point.

Even when slowing down, if done right there's hardly any difference in letting the car slow down to a stop and letting it do so while pressing on the brakes. Granted doing so will be hard to do and letting the ECU do it's stuff is much better but it's still possible to do it the right way.
soundmike is correct too, thats just to get performance out of the car. you don't have to floor it to downshift to 3. you can even use half throttle and it will downshift automatically. but people have their own way of passing other cars.. there is actually no right answer.. its very debatable.. i mean yes, either way the transmission is worsening every time you do that. seriously, i rather just accelerate hard enough where it won't downshift to 3rd. i mean it does speed up prettie quickly... and to mention that it won't hurt the tranny... btw i do understand what you are saying soundmike... i never done it b4 with the maxima, but ive done it with the altima... the loaner car. hahahaha... and yes it does give easier acceleration... but if i reallie wanna hurt the tranny and zoom pass someone thats going reallie slow.. i rather just use it on the loaner car hahahahha...
Old 10-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Very sound, Mike

chi,

I, OTOH have decided to stop worrying about problems that may occur and just enjoy the Maxima. I've always been a Quality over quantity man so if it means i'll need a new transmission in 36k miles i'd rather have 36k miles worth of driving pleasure than 100k miles of boring travels
Old 10-29-2002, 12:08 AM

chi,

I, OTOH have decided to stop worrying about problems that may occur and just enjoy the Maxima. I've always been a Quality over quantity man so if it means i'll need a new transmission in 36k miles i'd rather have 36k miles worth of driving pleasure than 100k miles of boring travels
hahaha good point!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:38 AM

Altima Auto owner

Check the ESM, but I think the Altima and Max share the same fluid system within their tranny's. This means there are two valves that regulate the gearing. they also DAMPEN the shifts hydraulically which will allow for down shifting with minimal stress to the tranny.

I am not positive yours is the same as mine, but my 2k2 3.5 auto altima ESM has these dampeners in it.

just read the section on the auto tranny. it is very informative.

i have been downshifting to 3 as high as 110 mph manually and down to 2 as high as 83 mph for cornering for 33000 miles with no fluid discoloration nor any obvious problems.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:54 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My Father always told me that brakes are cheaper then transmissions. And for the record, dirving with your car in 3rd will not effect the 1-2 or 2-3 shift points. It just keeps the car out of 4th and the T.C. from locking. The rest is in your head.

Think about this for a minute, by the time you take your hand, move the shifter from D into 3rd, then step on the gas, the guy next to you will have only put his foot to the floor and his car will have taken off already. You are making 3 actions for his 1. Do the math yourself, and in case anybody hasn't noticed, computers are pretty quick these days.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Think about this for a minute, by the time you take your hand, move the shifter from D into 3rd, then step on the gas, the guy next to you will have only put his foot to the floor and his car will have taken off already. You are making 3 actions for his 1. Do the math yourself, and in case anybody hasn't noticed, computers are pretty quick these days.
...That is why you use the gated shifter to 'anticipate' the shift. If you know you are 5 sec. from needing a nice burst of passing speed or a little extra 'oomph' to pass that cocky Mustang driver in the next lane, you slide it over to 3 BEFORE you are ready to hammer the gas. That way, the downshift has already occurred when you hit the gas and you don't have that lag waiting for the D gear to downshift to 3... That IS what people are talking about here right? That is sure as hell how I use it...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:49 AM
Very sound, Mike

My Father always told me that brakes are cheaper then transmissions. And for the record, dirving with your car in 3rd will not effect the 1-2 or 2-3 shift points. It just keeps the car out of 4th and the T.C. from locking. The rest is in your head.
I agree on the brakes vs. transmission debacle but that's not what we're talking about here

As for the shift points, i've tested it time and time again - same road, same conditions, within the same hour, all video taped for later observation and i can tell you for sure that leaving it in 3 makes the engine much more responsive and 1 will shift at a higher rpm almost 100% of the time.

Matthew, you got it right.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:18 AM

Think about this for a minute, by the time you take your hand, move the shifter from D into 3rd, then step on the gas, the guy next to you will have only put his foot to the floor and his car will have taken off already. You are making 3 actions for his 1. Do the math yourself, and in case anybody hasn't noticed, computers are pretty quick these days. [/B][/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying and agree!

Try to imagine a "split-screen" senerio in your mind simutaneouly. The left manually shifts, the right dones not. You slowly pull up behind a truck and "anticipate" on passing. The "anticipation" is done at the same point in both senerio. After the anticipation, I believe the person who just floors it will have a quicker acceleration.

But, I do also feel that if you anticipate a race, and shifting to 3, before the race, will more likely yield a quicker shift.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So what's the difference between using the gated shifter to manually control 3 vs D, as compared to the 'sportstick' or 'tiptronic' type transmissions out there?
Old 10-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by kway007
So what's the difference between using the gated shifter to manually control 3 vs D, as compared to the 'sportstick' or 'tiptronic' type transmissions out there?
Sport/tiptronic transmissions has a quicker response compared to regular automatic transmissions. Additionally while accelerating you can keep at a gear without having to upshift. (e.g. Say you're cruising then need to accelerate by having to downshift to 3rd gear, until you d/shift further or u/shift the transmission will keep it at 3)

But don't mistake such "tronic" transmissions with BMW's SMG or Clutchless manual transmissions on Ferrari's.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:37 PM

While we're talking about transmissions here, I have a quick question - when I had purchased my car, My father had gone to pick it up...anywayz, While bringing it home , he had the gear in '3' the whole entire time not realizing that it was not in 'd' as they are both next to each other...would that effect my transmission in the long run or anything else..do you think it has effected my break in period?????

Thankz in advance...
Later..

* I have an AUTO*...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Flintstones, Meet the Flintstones

Originally posted by 2k2maxima
While we're talking about transmissions here, I have a quick question - when I had purchased my car, My father had gone to pick it up...anywayz, While bringing it home , he had the gear in '3' the whole entire time not realizing that it was not in 'd' as they are both next to each other...would that effect my transmission in the long run or anything else..do you think it has effected my break in period?????

Thankz in advance...
Later..

* I have an AUTO*...
Cut out your floor boards because you're going to be driving like Fred and Barney soon. J/k. I don't think it was a big deal for your Father to drive it in 3 for the trip home. During the break in period, one would try to avoid red lining so unless he was going 80 in 3rd gear, (Is that redline? Don't know, don't wanna try) I wouldn't worry about it.

SoundMike with the sound advice. One would want to optimally use the powerbands in situations when the engine is being stressed. Afterall, it's 255 hp @ 5,800 rpm and 246 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm and a shift to 3rd would get you closer to those rpms.

I'm actually trying to get to know my 2002 SE better so that when I need to accelerate in 4th gear, I step on the pedal enough but not sufficient to warrant the ECU changing to 3rd. Because in my experience, once the transmission changes to 3rd, it changes right back to 4th after you let up on the pedal; working the tranny doubly. I too am concerned for the transmission wear, guess I'll have to sacrifice some "fun".
Old 10-29-2002, 09:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually...

If you keep it in O/D, the transmission will lock-up the TC at 1,400rpms or 37mph in 4th gear. Otherwise if you turn off O/D, the transmission will lock the TC at 2,800rpms or around 48mph in 3rd gear.

Keeping O/D off during high speed acceleration runs allows power to be put down more effectively. With O/D on, the transmission will not lock the TC in 3rd gear to give a direct mechanical link for power to be transfered. With O/D off, the transmission will lock the TC in 3rd gear, a good thing.

SteVTEC, Honda's at least have a feature to hold 2nd and/or 3rd gear though...I sure wish the Maxima had that. My sisters TL and Accord can start out in 3rd and/or 2nd gear gear by easily slipping the shifter into "3" or "2" and keep it out of "D4 and "D5" You can floor out and it will not let go of the gear selected.