5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 06:21 PM
swallac2

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Good theory, was what I was trying to get at with the whole emissions thing, you worded it better than I could. hehe..

I plan on complaining to my dealer next time I am in there.

BTW does anyone know why when I shift under semi-hard acceleration, sometimes my rev's continue upward about 500 rpm in neutral until I release the clutch. I have observed this many times making sure that I fully released the throttle.. what's going on!?

Swallac2: I sold my old car to carmax, and yes, their service does suck. When I was waiting for my papers, I saw an old lady that had been waiting there for 3 hours for an oil change. BTW if anyone bought a sunlit sand 2000 GLE from carmax plates 4PTE somethin, take care of her!!
The RPM bump is an emissions "feature." It was discussed here before. It was said that the revs jump so that the motor can burn the remaining fuel in the cylinders before the throttle body goes shut. So yes it's supposed to happen.

As for the CarMax thing. They have a new Nissan dealer in White Marsh, Md. I bought it there because their price was better than anyone elses around here. I got my 2k2 6-Speed for a couple of bucks over 27k. I got 3.9% financing and the 500 bucks off deal. Then CarMax had a special for the day (New Years day) of another 500 bucks off. I took it back to them to have a mark fixed that was their when I bought it. They didn't fix anything that I asked and replaced the mark with buffer burns. Needless to say I'm not going back there!!!

Old 04-23-2002, 06:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Who wants to play ???

Originally posted by swallac2

HAve you talked to someone?
Yes.

So what do you know, elighten us?
I can't say more than I already have. Again, I just need someone to get the condition documented. Once you've done that, shoot me an e-mail at bld522@yahoo.com and I'll send you my fax number. Then fax the RO to me and I'll take it from there.

Trust me on this one, guys. I don't even have a 2K2. I'm just trying to be of service if I can.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:28 AM

bumping to top, again.

Has anyone had an opportunity to talk to their dealer about this issue? I haven't gone in for service yet. What are the latest developments, here?

srm
Old 06-20-2002, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: Hesitation

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

Yeah I got it too.

If your car's in a gear traveling at about 2.5-3 rpm's and you WOT...it will hesitate......Its because of the throttle by wire shat.

If you carry the RPM"s thru each gear....you should not feel a hesitation.

Talk to me.
I disagree. One shouldn't have to carry the rpm to avoid a hesitation. I should be able to cruise at any speed/RPM and accelerate. I might be at the low end of the torque curve, but there should be no hesitation. My 1990 Maxima 5 spd doesn't do this.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:05 PM

Re: Hesitation

Originally posted by Maxmann
I've posted on this before, but I'm still experiencing this "problem". I experience momentary hesitation under hard acceleration in almost any gear (I have 6 speed 2k2). It's not all the time, just when I floor it or thereabouts.

Anyone else experiencing this and have mentioned it to your dealer? It is annoying, and my 2k1 didn't do this. Thoughts? srm
I have exactly th esame problem. I bought mine less than 2 weeks ago. I spent the money to get the latest technology and now this. Please see my post. Anyway, let's keep the communication going and hope NISSAN will fix this problem.

BTW, the problem happens even if you gently acclerate, at any speed and rpm.

I am frustated !!

alan
Old 06-20-2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by y2kse

Well as long as we're speculating, try this one out for size. Maybe the hiccup is an emissions issue. Perhaps when you stomp on the accelerator, you flood the cylinder with more gasoline than the engine can burn efficiently, thereby releasing too many hydrocarbons. As a result, the ECU may be programmed to momentarily retard the ignition when it senses WOT.

That may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. Believe it or not, emissions control is the reason why the engine in a 2K or 2K1 Maxima M/T will not decelerate instantly when you accelerate at WOT and then release the accelerator while simultaneously depressing the clutch. I'm not sure if Nissan has fixed that "problem" in the 2K2 M/Ts. But the condition and the reason for it have been confirmed in at least one published article.

You just gotta love OBD II.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by y2kse

Well as long as we're speculating, try this one out for size. Maybe the hiccup is an emissions issue. Perhaps when you stomp on the accelerator, you flood the cylinder with more gasoline than the engine can burn efficiently, thereby releasing too many hydrocarbons. As a result, the ECU may be programmed to momentarily retard the ignition when it senses WOT.

That may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. Believe it or not, emissions control is the reason why the engine in a 2K or 2K1 Maxima M/T will not decelerate instantly when you accelerate at WOT and then release the accelerator while simultaneously depressing the clutch. I'm not sure if Nissan has fixed that "problem" in the 2K2 M/Ts. But the condition and the reason for it have been confirmed in at least one published article.

You just gotta love OBD II.
Well, the hestitation happens even there is a little throttle input. But sounds interesting.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:26 PM
KTM

I had Nissan service check this out for me. They acknowledged the problem exists on my car. They tested it, everything was within spec, no codes, sorry nothing we can do. Next.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:09 AM
swallac2

Ok now we are just chasing our tails and threads. Here is a link to the other thread. Within that is a link the thread I started about my trip to the dealer.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=130030