5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 09:00 AM

Tricks

I took a test drive the other day at my local Nissan dealership after talking my way out of having an employee sit in the car with me. I said "It makes me nervous..." Oh well, it worked .

So anyway I was driving a 2k2 Max SE around town and on the highway and this car has excellent pickup for a 6. It handles very well, and you get a comfortable whine from the v6 as you near the redline. It is very quiet and has a wicked sweet interior. The Bose audio system is as loud as ever just like in my Pathfinder. I felt very much at home with the Max because the Pathfinder and Maxima interiors both look nearly identical.

Now for the fun part...I took the Max to an empty parking lot to see exactly what this baby can do. But i had trouble smokin the tires and doin' donuts! I know this is a front wheel drive car, but I could do these simple things in my old Mazda 626 LX 5-speed.

Please help me out here...Tell me what i gotta do to make the tires smoke and how to do a donut in this car!!!
Old 04-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Since you were testing it, the car wasn't broken in, I can smoke out my tires in my 2k2 auto, without e-brake.Haven't tried donuts yet.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: Tricks

I don't know why you had trouble smoking the tires..Was this a 6 speed? On my test drive, I took off from a stop light and was going like 5-10 MPH and I romped on it...The **** just smoked the tires...I backed off and then it got traction...You know a car has power when you can smoke the tires WHILE you are rolling!

Anyways, try dumping it at a slightly higher RPM than you normally would (as I said, I wasn't clear whether it was a 6 speed or auto..but I assume it is the manual since you compared it to your Mazda)

Originally posted by RiceBurners4LYF
I took a test drive the other day at my local Nissan dealership after talking my way out of having an employee sit in the car with me. I said "It makes me nervous..." Oh well, it worked .

So anyway I was driving a 2k2 Max SE around town and on the highway and this car has excellent pickup for a 6. It handles very well, and you get a comfortable whine from the v6 as you near the redline. It is very quiet and has a wicked sweet interior. The Bose audio system is as loud as ever just like in my Pathfinder. I felt very much at home with the Max because the Pathfinder and Maxima interiors both look nearly identical.

Now for the fun part...I took the Max to an empty parking lot to see exactly what this baby can do. But i had trouble smokin the tires and doin' donuts! I know this is a front wheel drive car, but I could do these simple things in my old Mazda 626 LX 5-speed.

Please help me out here...Tell me what i gotta do to make the tires smoke and how to do a donut in this car!!!
Old 04-21-2002, 09:12 AM

Yea it was a manual...By the way did I say how cool the stick looks on this thing?
Old 04-21-2002, 09:14 AM

Do 6 speeds have trac control? If so that would be a real problem if you don't turn it off! I have a auto and when my trac is off rollin smoke is no problem!
l8tr -- SS
Old 04-21-2002, 09:15 AM

Did it have hlsd? That would make smoke a little harder to get.
Which dealership and which Max? I want to make sure I don't buy the one you ruined!
Old 04-21-2002, 09:22 AM

Yea the guy said that all vehicles needed to have traction control while they were being tested...especially because I booted him out of the car... Don't worry buddy I live in the Norhteast so you got nothin to worry about!
Old 04-21-2002, 11:19 AM

Yea the guy said that all vehicles needed to have traction control while they were being tested...especially because I booted him out of the car... Don't worry buddy I live in the Norhteast so you got nothin to worry about!
Traction control is not an option on the 6spd.

Albert
Old 04-21-2002, 11:37 AM

Donuts in a fwd car
Old 04-21-2002, 12:02 PM

Hey it can be done
Old 04-21-2002, 12:04 PM

Unfortunately, so do I live in the Northeast.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:10 PM

New England?
Old 04-21-2002, 12:18 PM

New England?
New York, Long Island - phew!
Old 04-21-2002, 02:21 PM

Were you seriously considering buying that car? I'm sure that the person who ends up spending their hard earned money on that Maxima would have really appreciated you treating it so poorly. Seems like the dealers have a good reason to insist upon salespeople going with on test drives - at least they would have in your case. Am I the only one who is not impressed by this story?

Brendan
Old 04-21-2002, 02:32 PM

I don't think he was trying to needlessly abuse the car-You just want to know some of the capibilities of the car before you buy it. Ok, Ok..Maybe taking it to a parking lot and trying to smoke them was a little much....

Originally posted by 2002 Max SE
Were you seriously considering buying that car? I'm sure that the person who ends up spending their hard earned money on that Maxima would have really appreciated you treating it so poorly. Seems like the dealers have a good reason to insist upon salespeople going with on test drives - at least they would have in your case. Am I the only one who is not impressed by this story?

Brendan
Old 04-21-2002, 02:33 PM

i find spinning tires easier with another passenger up front... when there is more weight on the front wheels, the tires tend to want to spin/smoke more...

btw.. is it true that each revolution on a tirespin takes off 100 miles from the life of your tires?
Old 04-21-2002, 02:56 PM

Hey man,
Wheres the love? I wasn't abusing the Maxima at all fool. A small tire spin never hurt anyone...Especially because I wasn't dropping the clutch or mashing the gas or brakes. I simply wanted to see what the Max was capable of, and there was no way I had the intent of fryin the clutch, ruinin the engine or killin' the tires.
Peace
Old 04-21-2002, 03:10 PM

'where's the love' you ask?

First of all, I find it hard to believe that you were being so careful with the clutch in your burnout session ... and ask yourself this - would you break loose the tires and try to do donuts in a brand new car that YOU had just purchased, before allowing the clutch and engine the appropriate break in period? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the answer were yes but don't shorten the life of someone else's clutch and/or engine by blatantly abusing it.

I guess I just have no respect or 'love' as you say for people who are so disrespectful of things that do not belong to them. You were out for a joyride - pure and simple. Brag about it somewhere else. And even if it is just a casual member of your 'colorful' vocabulary - I don't appreciate being called a fool.

Brendan
Old 04-21-2002, 03:46 PM

when i use to work at the dealership, i got to break in all of the cars. He he... What i found doing is pushing in the clutch and reving until about 3.5 grand and just drop it. Boy that baby will spin for miles...
Old 04-21-2002, 05:12 PM

Brendan
I agree. Yeah, a little hard acceleration to see what kind of power its got, but donuts and smoking the tires? Thats just not cool. Would you appreciate it if you let your friend drive your brand new car and the first thing he did was smoke the tires out of your drive-way?
Old 04-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Doing donuts in a front-wheel drive car is VERY possible. I did it with my first car (1987 Chevy Turbo Sprint). Every freaking night/day I'd do burn outs, or donuts. That little car sweet! Even though it was only a 3 cylinder (with turbo), it could beat out most honda civics. Of course no one could be in the car to beat them, but hey. And eventually I did run that car into the ground. Burned up the turbo and engine so bad I just had to junk the whole damn thing. Ahhh well it was fun for the 8 or 9 months that it lasted.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:10 PM

Re: Re: Tricks

Originally posted by wdave

I want to make sure I don't buy the one you ruined!
That's why you buy a Maxima with 2 miles on it. Guarantees you that no one did that kinda stuff to your future car.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tricks

Originally posted by 2001SilverSeMax

That's why you buy a Maxima with 2 miles on it. Guarantees you that no one did that kinda stuff to your future car.
hey man in ur sig ur doing 125mph and u dont have a seat belt on! ur crazy! wear ur seat belt!

will
Old 04-22-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tricks

Photochopped all the way!!!!!!

Originally posted by WILLSE

hey man in ur sig ur doing 125mph and u dont have a seat belt on! ur crazy! wear ur seat belt!

will
Old 04-22-2002, 09:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have to agree with 2002Max. You are the type of customer who is the first to complain about your car and poor dealer service after your car breaks
down because of abuse, either by yourself or some other joy rider. I am not impressed with this story either.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:56 PM

Ok ya know what...I DONT CARE IF YOU OR ANY OTHER TOOL IS NOT IMPRESSED BY MY STORY YOU MORON! I wasn't trying to f'n impress any of you kids. I simply wanted to know how to spin em and do donuts in the Max. Keep your worthless comments to yourself. And remember...nobody likes a B!TCH... :

It's people like you who makes this community bad
Old 04-23-2002, 06:32 PM

Rice,

Tone it down a few notches. This community is made up, by and large, of mature adults. I'm not saying that a young kid your age cannot be mature, but you are proving the opposite. If you think this community is bad, then visit elsewhere. And would you please take it easy on the name calling or at least try to choose less adolescent slams, if you insist on it. Tool and b!itch - grow up would, ya?

Brendan
Old 04-23-2002, 06:51 PM

Ok ya know what...I DONT CARE IF YOU OR ANY OTHER TOOL IS NOT IMPRESSED BY MY STORY YOU MORON! I wasn't trying to f'n impress any of you kids. I simply wanted to know how to spin em and do donuts in the Max. Keep your worthless comments to yourself. And remember...nobody likes a B!TCH... :

It's people like you who makes this community bad
Somebody needs to ban this guy from the .org. He obviously has no respect for anybody or anything and is destroying the whole image of this group. Hopefully a Moderator will take appropriate action on this problem.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:47 PM

Suds,

Good suggestion. Thanks for posting your thoughts on this conversation. By the way, your Maxima looks great - did I read a while back that you had those tips put on your stock muffler? I have a 2002 and the tips are just a little bit too skinny in diameter, but I don't want to go with an aftermarket muffler because the nissan muffler is designed so well, and I don't want my car to get too loud. Also, did you feel an improvement in power with your custom b-pipe? I am thinking about doing the same but again am a little hesitant b/c of noise level. Any suggestion would be great

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 04-24-2002, 02:00 PM

Suds,

Good suggestion. Thanks for posting your thoughts on this conversation. By the way, your Maxima looks great - did I read a while back that you had those tips put on your stock muffler? I have a 2002 and the tips are just a little bit too skinny in diameter, but I don't want to go with an aftermarket muffler because the nissan muffler is designed so well, and I don't want my car to get too loud. Also, did you feel an improvement in power with your custom b-pipe? I am thinking about doing the same but again am a little hesitant b/c of noise level. Any suggestion would be great

Thanks,
Brendan
Brendan,

Really the only customization I did on my B-Pipe was removing the resonator and replacing it with a piece of straight pipe. I doubt this increased horsepower at all. The main thing I was looking for was a little more sound. This accomplished just what I was trying to do. The exhaust has a slight growl now but its not so loud that it gets on my nerves. In fact at highway speeds you can't tell a difference at all. As far as the tips, I have a 2000 SE so it had the oval looking one-piece tip. All I did was remove that and had a chrome tip welded on each tip coming out of the muffler. Only drawback to those is that they will eventually rust but the guy said he could replace them very easy if I decided I wanted to buy another pair later. The best part is it only cost me $70 to do all of that.

Hope this helps
Old 04-24-2002, 02:32 PM

"your 'colorful' vocabulary"

2002 Max SE,

You crack me up! Do you seriously think that any salesman would give the keys to a ~$30k car to this jive-talkin' turkey?

RB's just tellin stories