5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Street Scenes grill install, HOW THE HELL I DO IT??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 04:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Street Scenes grill install, HOW THE HELL I DO IT??

I DO NOT want to cut the factory grille. I talked to RUSS who installed it without cutting it, and I know this other guy in the area who also installed it without cutting the Factory Grille. Both of these people used Zip Ties. I do not want to cut it due to the fact I might sell the car at any time.

I got the grille Friday from Greg at Custommaxima on the Group Deal and the main grille looks defective cause when I put it upto it once side is shorter in height.

I mean do I need to re-shape it? What do I need to do? How did you people who DID NOT CUT the grille install this ****?

Dixit
Old 04-28-2002, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Let me know if you find out how to install it. I"ll be slapping mines on soon along with the body kit.Maybe It"ll be easy once i remove the front bumper. SirMaxximus
Old 04-28-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by SirMaxximus
Let me know if you find out how to install it. I"ll be slapping mines on soon along with the body kit.Maybe It"ll be easy once i remove the front bumper. SirMaxximus
same here. Getting mine pretty soon.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All I can say is, good luck fellas. The grille wasn't initially intended to be installed over the existing grille, so your results may not be all that great, cuz you can easily see the OEM grille behind the Street Scene grille when it's installed over top. Zip ties are really easy to notice regardless of color (yes, even black), especially when you're right next to the car. I strongly recommend having it installed the way it was intended, otherwise you should have probably skipped buying it. Just tryin to help out. Peace.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:32 PM

The biggest problem I have with cutting out the factory grille is that I cannot return it to stock to sell the car. All these mods make the car worth crap.

I mean if there was a "easier" way to remove the front grill without hacking it off, Im all for it.

Dixit
Old 04-30-2002, 05:52 PM

BigDog, did you install the valence yet? I'm having major problems installing mine.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:54 PM

I tried putting on my valence this afternoon, but I ran across a few problems. First of all, I noticed that the the street scene's valence itself doesn't reach to the corners of the valence. Is it supposed to? Secondly, the lower "grooves" on the street scene valence don't line-up at all with valence. I don't know if i'm supposed to bend the street scene's valence so that it fits? Third, the street scene's valence doesn't go all the way back to the valences, and I don't understand how the clips attach to the valence.

I thought that this would be an easy install, but it's not. I need to see some pictures if some has any of their install, but overall I need help
Old 04-30-2002, 06:00 PM

i saw someone on the forum with a custom grille on his 5th gen maxima. It has the chrome mesh grille installed BEHIND the stocke OEM grille. It looks very hot.. anyone have any idea how he did it?
Old 04-30-2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by krazyd
I tried putting on my valence this afternoon, but I ran across a few problems. First of all, I noticed that the the street scene's valence itself doesn't reach to the corners of the valence. Is it supposed to? Secondly, the lower "grooves" on the street scene valence don't line-up at all with valence. I don't know if i'm supposed to bend the street scene's valence so that it fits? Third, the street scene's valence doesn't go all the way back to the valences, and I don't understand how the clips attach to the valence.

I thought that this would be an easy install, but it's not. I need to see some pictures if some has any of their install, but overall I need help
The street scence valence does not reach the corners of the valence. I think it's how the design is. I believe they're were at total of 4 clips. They way i did it was attaching the bottom layer first, by pushing it in. After securing the bottom layer, I did the top. Then you should be all set. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:25 PM

I have some pics of the valence installed
link:
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jayson...t?.dir=/Maxima
Old 04-30-2002, 06:40 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Pillager
All I can say is, good luck fellas. The grille wasn't initially intended to be installed over the existing grille, so your results may not be all that great, cuz you can easily see the OEM grille behind the Street Scene grille when it's installed over top. Zip ties are really easy to notice regardless of color (yes, even black), especially when you're right next to the car. I strongly recommend having it installed the way it was intended, otherwise you should have probably skipped buying it. Just tryin to help out. Peace.
Actually no one could find my zip ties till I pointed them out, and even then it was hard to see them. They were way back in the grill. The grill will not fit any deeper with the stock grill missing either. I have seen both. You can see the stock one under it, but its very hard.

Old 04-30-2002, 06:56 PM
RussMaxManiac

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/SilverBullet/grill/

Grill pics,

Old 04-30-2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by TaiwanMaxima

The street scence valence does not reach the corners of the valence. I think it's how the design is. I believe they're were at total of 4 clips. They way i did it was attaching the bottom layer first, by pushing it in. After securing the bottom layer, I did the top. Then you should be all set. Hope this helps.
The Street Scene's valence comes with 8 of those "teeth" clips that are supposed to attach to the valence itself (4 on the top, 4 on the bottom). I don't understand where those are supposed to be attached. Also did the "grooves" on your Street Scene's valence match up with the vertical beams on your car's valence? Because mine don't match up at all, that's my whole problem. If I were able to get them to sit properly, there would be no problem.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:04 PM

I have installed the grille on my max and I would recommend doing it like it was intended. I took off my front cap and then used an airsaw to cut out the factory grille. Then I sanded down the areas that I had cut and then painted them black to hide the white appearence that comes from cutting the poly. Then I bent the grille to fit how I wanted it to and then I screwed it in and it looks AWESOME! I am expecting the valence any day now and will post how I installed it and maybe I will be able to help.

Also I know that using Pillagers write up about this in the how-to at the top of the 5th gen section was a big help! Thanks Pillager!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:11 PM

i just had my bodykit installed and I had the guy install my grill and valence too. He did not cut out the factory grill yet somehow still managed to used the clips that the grill and valence came with. The end result was something I wasn't completely happy with cuz the upper part of the border is a bit askew but all in all....it looks pretty damn nice

Oh and my valence didn't exaclty size up within the space it's supposed to go in either.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:09 AM

BigDog, did you install the valence yet? I'm having major problems installing mine.
Im not even working on the valence. My biggest problem is trying to get the damn main grille installed. I cant seem to get it to fit and on top of that it seems shorter in height on one side than the other.

I dont want to cut it because I want to be able to sell the car like as close to stock as possible when it comes to that.

Dixit
Old 05-01-2002, 03:13 PM

Also, I know that using Pillager's write up about this in the How-To at the top of the 5th Gen section was a big help! Thanks Pillager!
You're welcome man, ride's lookin very tight. Glad to be of help. I had my shop fully screw in my grilles when the bodykit was installed, cuz those clips totally blow. Now, can we trade cars? You're airbag setup is freakin awesome. Peace.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by 20 MAXIMA 02
i saw someone on the forum with a custom grille on his 5th gen maxima. It has the chrome mesh grille installed BEHIND the stocke OEM grille. It looks very hot.. anyone have any idea how he did it?
Hey 20 MAXIMA 02, that might be me. Here what I did, I bought some alu gutter's guard at Canadian tire, they sell it 15$ CDN for 3 grills, the size is approx 6" x 38". For the valence you go under the car there is 2 black plastic guard in front remove the plastice plug, then the plastic guard will fold down by itself, I think there maybe a total of 6 or 8 to remove, then you slip the grill under the car between the bumper and the radiator ( dont forget to take the measure for the grill so you insert the right size, so it will be easier to fit ), I tied the grill from the inside with some thin galvanized wired, very difficult to tell after unless you have the nose in the grill. Hope these explanation help, feel free to contat me and I'll be more than happy to help you all have your max as nice as mine.

Cheers

AA
Old 05-01-2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Im not even working on the valence. My biggest problem is trying to get the damn main grille installed. I cant seem to get it to fit and on top of that it seems shorter in height on one side than the other.

I dont want to cut it because I want to be able to sell the car like as close to stock as possible when it comes to that.

Dixit
Hi BigDogJonx, that's the main reason why I didn't buy the street scene, the one I did myself apply on top of our original grill and fit perfectly and took me 40 minutes to tie solidely and no cut, if you cut your grill then upon selling the car you will have to buy a new bumper cuz the grill is part of it.

AA
Old 05-01-2002, 06:42 PM

Pics of custom grill on tip of grill.

For the one it may interest, here is the link to some pics of my custom grill.

http://community.webshots.com/script...bumID=36218860

Cheers

AA
Old 05-01-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: Pics of custom grill on tip of grill.

Originally posted by doublea
For the one it may interest, here is the link to some pics of my custom grill.

http://community.webshots.com/script...bumID=36218860

Cheers

AA
Getting an error.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: Pics of custom grill on tip of grill.

Getting an error.
Try this one.

http://community.webshots.com/user/doublea007

Cheers

AA
Old 05-03-2002, 05:00 PM

krazyd or anyone have you put the valence on yet? I'm having same promblem that the end goves dont line up w/ the the vertical 4 metal middle poles of the valence...? Why is this such a b!tch to install or what am I doing wrong?
Old 05-03-2002, 09:42 PM

I used 7 of the metal clips provided on the entire bottom porton of the valence. Then I decided to zip tie the top portion of the valence for added protection against theft/it falling it out. I haven't had any problems with it yet, and it looks great, and you cannot notice the zip ties at all. Enjoy!