5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test drove G35 -bad mistake (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 05:34 AM

Little vocab lesson for the challenged among us...

There seems to be a great deal of improper use of the following words in posts here. It makes the predominantly worthless tripe posted to the board even less readable. I thought a quick refresher would help a few folks out.

There full definition and usage here
Used most often as an adverb (At or in that place: "Sit over there.") or as a noun (Used to introduce a clause or sentence: "There are numerous items. There must be another exit.")

Their full definition and usage here
Used as an adjective. The possessive form of they.
Used as a modifier before a noun: "their accomplishments; their home town."

They're very simple definition here
This is simply the contraction form of the words "they are". This is given away by the presence of an apostrophe. Everyone remembers those, right?

For those who need an example... "They're going to drive their G35 over there, and it's going to beat your Maxima."

Your full definition and usage here
Used as an adjective. The possessive form of you. Used as a modifier before a noun: "your boots; your accomplishments."

You're very simple definition here
This is simply the contraction form of the words "you are".

For those who need an example... "You're going to get smoked if you race your Maxima against a G35."

Take some time to examine what you write in a public forum or in an email. Incorrect grammar or spelling will make you seem unintelligent and cause others to dismiss your words as unimportant.

Scott Buchanan
2K SE M/T
Old 05-09-2002, 06:36 AM

Re: Little vocab lesson for the challenged among us...

Originally posted by e28fixer
Take some time to examine what you write in a public forum or in an email. Incorrect grammar or spelling will make you seem unintelligent and cause others to dismiss your words as unimportant.

Scott Buchanan
2K SE M/T
WOW!!!

Proud of yourself

I'm not sure if I'm guilty of this improper usage, but personally I don't care. When you find a forum where correct grammer is common, please come and tell us. And I have a feeling if I put on my editors hat I could find a million errors, but this isn't work and this isn't school. I type as I would speak and occasionally i make mistakes. Get over it
Old 05-09-2002, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like 97GLE said.. make valid arguments. Obviously you have none.

Oh yeah.... I have yet to see one new owner reply that they bought one for $4000 off MSRP (before or after negotiating).

Come on guy... Grow up. If you can throw it out. Learn how to take it.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:00 AM

Handy e-brake

I know this is a little late. But I have to mention that I found my Max's hand e-brake essential this winter. During heavy, wet snow I absolutely had to use it to correct terrible understeer (235widetires). There would have been no other way to swing my car's big butt around the corners. This cannot be done with a foot pedal.

And what's wrong with a fun e-brake assisted 180 in the rain? Teenager-ish or not - 'tis fun.

What's "yur" opinion?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Michael1
Like 97GLE said.. make valid arguments. Obviously you have none.

Oh yeah.... I have yet to see one new owner reply that they bought one for $4000 off MSRP (before or after negotiating).

Come on guy... Grow up. If you can throw it out. Learn how to take it.
What's your problem? This is my personal opinion on the car, and nothing will change it. If you don't like it don't reply. Oh, and I can care less what you think.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:22 AM

This is what I'm talking about...

Originally posted by 97GLE

I like BMW, but there not my style. Since your on a Nissan Maxima entusist site, id think you'd be glad their trying to get back in the game in the states. Like I said, you dont have to like it, but competition is good, and this is a competitive car. So make an argument that is worth arguing.
I guess it's appropriate you were the one to speak up in response to my post, 97GLE. Your post above from earlier in this same thread is the very post that caused me to speak up on this subject. You provided three incorrect usages in just two sentences of the very words I wrote about. Just so you'll know which words I'm talking about, I've made them bold in the excerpt above and below. I've taken the time to make additional capitalization and spelling corrections too. The first two sentences should properly read...

"I like BMW's, but they're not my style. Since you're on a Nissan Maxima enthusiast site, I'd think you'd be glad they're trying to get back in the game in the States."

Though I'm sure your opinion is that I'm trying (successfully) to be an ***, what I'm really trying to do is improve the level of communication on the board. Your assertions, accurate or not, will only be given the weight your audience decides to give them. If you communicate poorly, it won't matter how right you are. Others will dismiss you as uneducated and unworthy of attention. Their perception of you makes you wrong no matter what you say.

Scott Buchanan
2K SE M/T
Old 05-09-2002, 07:48 AM

Re: This is what I'm talking about...

I guess it's appropriate you were the one to speak up in response to my post, 97GLE. Your post above from earlier in this same thread is the very post that caused me to speak up on this subject. You provided three incorrect usages in just two sentences of the very words I wrote about. Just so you'll know which words I'm talking about, I've made them bold in the excerpt above and below. I've taken the time to make additional capitalization and spelling corrections too. The first two sentences should properly read...

"I like BMW's, but they're not my style. Since you're on a Nissan Maxima enthusiast site, I'd think you'd be glad they're trying to get back in the game in the States."

Though I'm sure your opinion is that I'm trying (successfully) to be an ***, what I'm really trying to do is improve the level of communication on the board. Your assertions, accurate or not, will only be given the weight your audience decides to give them. If you communicate poorly, it won't matter how right you are. Others will dismiss you as uneducated and unworthy of attention. Their perception of you makes you wrong no matter what you say.

Scott Buchanan
2K SE M/T
dear Miss Manner's,

SHUT UP! Stick to the topic of the post and quit coming down on members. Maybe you should go find some buds at www.elitist.org .

Yur a *****.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:51 AM

So anyway...

Speaking of driving in the snow, how well could the G35s handle it? Any snowbelt, RWD, sport-sedan/coupe drivers have any experience to share?
Old 05-09-2002, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Originally posted by noflash

Yur a *****.
You mean "You're a *****." Right?

Scott
Old 05-09-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Scott

It just gets better and better.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Originally posted by AndyXXL

It just gets better and better.
I agree. By the way, I spent some time in my neighbor's 330i a couple of days ago. It's a very nice car. We took both cars out (one at a time) to get a feel for them and to give our feedback. He liked the interior space and the overall quiet cabin. He really noticed how short the shifting is with my new PaceSetter. He felt the two cars would be very close in straight-line acceleration. I'm not so sure. I felt the 330i delivered more responsive acceleration and significantly better handling. I have a FSTB, RSB and Maxspeed springs, but it's obvious I need to upgrade my stock struts. The shift throw was excessive, so that's something I'd fix very soon on the BMW. UUC Motorworks offers an excellent but pricey STS for it. I'd personally love to have the BMW since that's what I drove before the Maxima. My auto budget just doesn't allow it at the moment.

Good luck with your car,

Scott
Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 AM

I don't think his original

post on grammar was meant to be snappy. I think he was actually trying to help out.

Andy, like I said before, after you have had a run with a G35 coupe don't forget to come back to the org and post the results.

"Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha"
Old 05-09-2002, 09:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

I agree. By the way, I spent some time in my neighbor's 330i a couple of days ago. It's a very nice car. We took both cars out (one at a time) to get a feel for them and to give our feedback. He liked the interior space and the overall quiet cabin. He really noticed how short the shifting is with my new PaceSetter. He felt the two cars would be very close in straight-line acceleration. I'm not so sure. I felt the 330i delivered more responsive acceleration and significantly better handling. I have a FSTB, RSB and Maxspeed springs, but it's obvious I need to upgrade my stock struts. The shift throw was excessive, so that's something I'd fix very soon on the BMW. UUC Motorworks offers an excellent but pricey STS for it. I'd personally love to have the BMW since that's what I drove before the Maxima. My auto budget just doesn't allow it at the moment.

Good luck with your car,

Scott
Let me guess, you used to drive E28?
Old 05-09-2002, 09:38 AM

Re: I don't think his original

Originally posted by Blackgums100
post on grammar was meant to be snappy. I think he was actually trying to help out.

Andy, like I said before, after you have had a run with a G35 coupe don't forget to come back to the org and post the results.

"Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha"
Yep, it would be interesting to know what G35 coupe is capable of.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Let me guess, you used to drive E28?
Correct. It was my pride and joy for a number of years. It was already old when I bought it and started fixing it up, but that was part of its exclusivity. I rarely "saw myself coming and going" as I do with the Max. You can see it by clicking my homepage. What I really want these days is an M-Coupe. Now that's NASTY!! "Weirdness value" alone puts it on the top of my list.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Correct. It was my pride and joy for a number of years. It was already old when I bought it and started fixing it up, but that was part of its exclusivity. I rarely "saw myself coming and going" as I do with the Max. You can see it by clicking my homepage. What I really want these days is an M-Coupe. Now that's NASTY!! "Weirdness value" alone puts it on the top of my list.
Web page is temporarily unavailable or no longer exists.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Scott
Der, I mean e28dixer.

ANYWAY, Scott...
Let's talk Maxspeed on stock struts. Are you on SE or GXE/GLE? I am on the later and, while I have no complaints about the ride on perfect roads, bumpy roads are a freakin' nightmare.

So, are Toks or SE struts the answer to the shiite ride on bumpy roads?

Yoar comment please.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Web page is temporarily unavailable or no longer exists.
Just fixed it. Give it another try.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

What I really want, these days, is an M-Coupe.

I think you deserve that.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Originally posted by MichaelAE

What I really want, these days, is an M-Coupe.

I think you deserve that.
Says who? Word 2000 grammar check made no such correction. Rules for the use of commas at GrammarCheck.com are nebulous on the propriety of commas in such a sentence. It likely falls into an "either/or" category of use. That wouldn't be uncommon when referring to comma usage rules though.

Scott
Old 05-09-2002, 11:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Says who? Word 2000 grammar check made no such correction. Rules for the use of commas at GrammarCheck.com are nebulous on the propriety of commas in such a sentence. It likely falls into an "either/or" category of use. That wouldn't be uncommon when referring to comma usage rules though.

Scott
You check your posts through Word first?

ISSUES!! (the "you got" is understood)

Scroll up and see my question for you.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

You check your posts through Word first?

ISSUES!! (the "you got" is understood)

Scroll up and see my question for you.
I check them when someone critiques them. I use Dictionary.com frequently too. Emails comprise 90% of my work communication. Accuracy and clarity are imperative to my job, but I find both equally important in the "real world".

I haven't heard it mentioned here, but my stock SE struts ARE Tok's. The name is stamped right into the steel tube. They do a good job of damping the MaxSpeed's, but I would prefer even more control. I have no doubt that GXE/GLE struts would have difficulty with lower springs. I would only consider aftermarket springs on stock struts from an SE.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

"real world".

Thanks for the tip. I'm still waiting for the deal on some slightly use SE struts.

The end quotation mark should fall after the period (if you needed to quote at all).

I'm just saying. But really, I relent. Let's call the whole thing off.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'm still waiting for the deal on some slightly use SE struts.

The end quotation mark should fall after the period (if you needed to quote at all).

I'm just saying. But really, I relent. Let's call the whole thing off.
Let's. Ironically, I'm the guy you most recently corresponded with about purchasing SE struts. I'm kicking the idea around. Something tells me I'll be wearing the stock struts out before stepping up to the Cattman pump.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:07 PM

I check them when someone critiques them. I use Dictionary.com frequently too. Emails comprise 90% of my work communication. Accuracy and clarity are imperative to my job, but I find both equally important in the "real world".

I haven't heard it mentioned here, but my stock SE struts ARE Tok's. The name is stamped right into the steel tube. They do a good job of damping the MaxSpeed's, but I would prefer even more control. I have no doubt that GXE/GLE struts would have difficulty with lower springs. I would only consider aftermarket springs on stock struts from an SE.
The tokicos you buy from aftermarket stores aren't the same as the stock shocks. Tokicos does make shocks for Nissan to put on their Maxima fleet, but it's not the same characteristics as the aftermarket ones. Do you think aftermarket springs would be ok with stock SE shocks? how about GC coilovers with stock SE shocks?

How much do the SE shocks cost? Can you only get them from the dealership?
Old 05-09-2002, 02:37 PM

Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Scott Buchanan
2K SE M/T
All right, I understand that. That is a fair assertion and I agree, but I would agree more if this were a business setting or the like. However, this isn't, and I don't think this is exactly the place for it.

I'll pay more attention, but when you make a huge elaborate post, sprawling with examples from a quick reference grammar book, you seem like an ****. Next time, you might try to stay OT somewhere in your post.

With that in mind, I see some people are flamin Andy... I didn't mean to start a ****ing contest; I just wanted an argument worth having, I think I made my point so why go on?
Old 05-09-2002, 03:14 PM

G35 vs 330ci

The G35 COUPE looks better than the 330ci.......without the bodykit . The G35 Sedan automatic is faster than the 330ci 5-speed manual. The 6-speed G35 coupe would probably thrash a 330ci manual, the only drawback is that it does not handle as well as a 330ci (only by a little bit though) It could easily be argued that if the 330ci was a large as the G35 (wheel base) it would not have this road holding advantage; but IMO that doesn't matter much because a G35 coupe would walk a 330ci with no problem
Old 05-09-2002, 10:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Scott
With all due respect, Microsoft Word is not the authority on grammer. I was, honestly, just kidding around. However, please feel free to review my correction with any of the recognized authorities on grammer.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:10 AM

g35....
Old 05-10-2002, 05:59 AM

Check out Edmund's Review ( a bit luke warm).

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...2/article.html
Old 05-10-2002, 06:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I'm talking about...

Originally posted by MichaelAE

With all due respect, Microsoft Word is not the authority on grammer. I was, honestly, just kidding around. However, please feel free to review my correction with any of the recognized authorities on grammer.
You spelled grammar wrong
Old 05-10-2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Mark S.
Check out Edmund's Review ( a bit luke warm).

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...2/article.html
I gave up on magazine reviews now a day. G35 sedan have better slarom/trap/0-60/.25mile/brake/G than any other they have listed as competition but they will keep saying subjective feelings of one being more "in-tune". Infiniti really must work on these intangible values to make it succesfull. (Such as bribing/being snotty/over value its car, etc, etc)

Just venting some frustration. Waiting for full comparo of vehicles and see how they will justify BMW as winner again. (Probably using boosted up factors for minor things that BMW does better than other cars) I do have copy of most magazine's last comparo on these vehicles with its weight factors. Let's see if they will change the factors again.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:17 PM

You spelled grammar wrong