5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ok... now my car is stalling.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is getting crazy... I've had this thing for less than a year, and it's already sounding like it's 10 yrs old (rattles all over the place, engine tapping like a ****). I started the car the other day, and the engine was choking and sounded like it's about to backfire and die. And on normal driving, the RPM drops to about 400 when I go into neutral and it has stalled 3 times as a result. The first time was very dangerous because I was approaching a turn where there is a red light. As I was turning, I put the car into neutral and began to brake for the light. And the car stalled, I lost my power steering and instead of turning.. I went straight. Almost wiping a couple of cars in the process. Now, I have to do the heel/toe technique to give it some gas when I go into neutral and braking at the same time. I have done nothing to the engine, it is complete stock for this exact reason. Heck I didn't even put springs on it... I don't want the service manager to be giving me any excuses. But from what I have been reading in the forums, seems they are unwilling to address the problem (I've found at least 1 other person with this stalling issue). Oh well, I'm going to take my car to the dealer soon and have them look at it. I doubt if they will do anything. I said I would never buy another Nissan when I had my 96 Max... *sigh*

2000 Maxima 5-speed POS
Old 11-29-2000, 03:09 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well...

where are you? is it cold? there is that stalling TSB.

If not that, I bet it will be fuel related. perhaps a fuel pump or sumptin. I'm sure they will cover it, assuming they can find the problem. As long as you get their attention long enough to show it stalling, or your problem shows up right away on the diag, it wont be a problem at all. thats the issue, get them to see the problem. If they know what it is, its fixed. *sigh*

[Edited by TimW on 11-29-2000 at 07:41 PM]
Old 11-29-2000, 03:43 PM

Hey.....

I saw your mods list. Check you pop charger. Make sure its on tight with NO air leaks. I've read the same problem before with a 5th gen. He took it to the dealer and they found his pop loose. They told him take it off or they wouldn't do any future work. I think it was paul2k or sprung.

Mike S.
Old 11-29-2000, 03:51 PM

Found it......

From a post by Paul2Kgxe

"This happened to me when my JWT intake came off the intake tube, which wasn't
that obvious. It kept stalling and cutting out. I couldn't even start it after a while.
The MAF was confused about the air fuel mixture, causing the stalling. The dealer
discovered that my intake came off and told me to take it off or they wouldn't fix
any warranty items. After they reconnected it, the car ran like a charm. I then
went home and put my stock airbox back on."

Check it out. I NEVER heard of that. The engine stalling tsb was for cananda only and only was for inital start up.

Mike S.
Old 11-29-2000, 04:45 PM
DOM

My engine does the RPM dip too. It has never died on me but it always dips to 400 RPM. Now that my "check engine soon" light comes on (from Y pipe), I doesn't dip as much
Old 11-29-2000, 08:23 PM

Re: Hey.....

I don't have any mods at all.. the engine is completely stock (for warranty reasons)... Where is this mods list at? I have not been on this board for a long time.. I did have the CAI on my 96 though.... :\

Originally posted by Mike S.
I saw your mods list. Check you pop charger. Make sure its on tight with NO air leaks. I've read the same problem before with a 5th gen. He took it to the dealer and they found his pop loose. They told him take it off or they wouldn't do any future work. I think it was paul2k or sprung.

Mike S.
Old 11-29-2000, 08:36 PM

Re: well...

I am located in sunny Southern California.. hehe... I've heard about that TSB and I doubt if this is related. Let's hope those idiots can fix it... I was lucky enough to have the check engine light come on 1 day after I purchased this thing. End up going back to the shop 3 times (they resetted the computer 2 x before even taking a closer look) and loosing the car for a week... Ended up being the intake manifold.. They supposingly changed out the whole manifold.. But I wouldn't be suprised if they just pulled the bulb out of my check engine light! hahaha... Bastards... I swear to god.. this is the last Nissan I buy..

Originally posted by TimW
where are you? is it cold? there is that stalling TSB.

If not that, I bet it will be fuel related. perhaps a fuel pump or sumptin. I'm sure they will cover it, assuming they can find the problem. As long as you get their attention long enough to show it stalling, or your problem shows up right away on the diag, it wont be a problem at all. thats the issue, get them to see the problem. If they know what it is, its fixed. *sigh*

[Edited by TimW on 11-29-2000 at 07:41 PM]