5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need to know before I buy: Does autofuel cutoff pblm exist in 2001 Max?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 05:58 AM
ascan

I've read a lot of people on this site and on Edmunds complain about driving the 2000 Max steady at low speeds such as 30mph or in heavy traffic. Due to the fuel cutoff problem the car won't drive smoothly. Has anyone experienced this with the 2001 Max. Interested because thinking of getting a 2001 GLE Auto very soon. If it exists in most 2001 Maximas, think i'll go with the Camry V6 or Acura TL. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2000, 08:07 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

autofuel cutoff is not a flaw...

its designed that way.... so yes, its there. However, there a varying degrees of it from car to car. You need to take a long test drive and see if there are any issues or annoyances to you. Each car manifests alittle differently. Also, your local driving conditions, speed limits (like 30-35mph) and driving style all make this more or less noticible.

I say, consider the car, but just pay close attention on the test drive. there is a 90% chance it will not bother you... dont put a downpayment on any max until you've driven and inspected (paint) the EXACT one you intend to purchase.
Old 11-30-2000, 08:29 AM

I have not personally driven an automatic Max, but I don't think the fuel cut off would be as noticeable due to the torque converter absorbing most of the jolts felt on a standard transmission Max. However, you might have trouble with the car slowing down from cruising speeds when you release the throttle. This might be an issue for you. I have listed below some tests to run on a 5 speed car to test for the fuel cutoff problem. You would probably only be affected by the cruising problem @ 45 MPH on the automatic. Good luck on your decision!

5 Speed Fuel Cutoff Tests:
Here are three tests to try on a road test to see the "fuel-cut problem" in action:

1) Drive at about 45 MPH in 4th gear with the engine turning about 2000 RPM. While cruising steady at this speed, remove your foot completely from the gas pedal and watch the tach. The car will take anywhere from 5-10 seconds before the RPM's decrease and the car starts to slow down. The computer is artificially controlling the throttle for you here robbing you of the ability to slow the car by releasing the gas pedal.

2) While driving in 1st gear, bring the car to 1500 RPM. Raise it ever so slightly to about 1550-1600 RPM, and hold constant pressure on the gas pedal to hold the RPM's at this reading while coasting along. The computer will start to increase the RPM's by itself while you hold constant pressure on the gas up to about 2000 RPM. During this time, the fuel cut happens sometimes while the RPM's rise causing a sharp jerk to occur. The jerk will almost always occur if you let go of the gas pedal while the RPM's rise by themselves. I suggest testing by trying to hold the gas pedal steady while it rises and also to release it while it rises to see if the jerking occurs.

3) RPM's hang/increase on upshifts. Drive to 2500 RPM in second gear. Press in the clutch and release the gas pedal @ 2500 RPM to upshift. The RPM's will hang at 2500 RPM during the shift at "normal" shifting speed. If you shift aggressively at 2500 RPM instead, the RPM's will actually increase about 400 RPM when the clutch is depressed. You can test this without shifting; while in second gear @ 2500 RPM, slam down the clutch pedal as fast as you can while letting off the gas completely. The RPM's will rise on their own to about 2900 RPM once the clutch is depressed rapidily with your foot off the gas pedal.

Remember that all tests should be run on a fully warmed up engine with no external loads present (i.e. A/C and lights off). The fuel cut off is very bothersome to me in traffic while in 1st gear, and I also don't like the fact that the car refuses to slow down when the gas is released and that the RPM's hang during shifting. That is not good for the entire drivetrain assembly.

Dave Z
Old 11-30-2000, 08:39 AM

this is for the manual not the A/T right? I have not heard anything about this for the A/T!!!
Old 11-30-2000, 10:20 AM

My SE is an auto

so it is a little harder to feel the fuelcut...I feel a jolt sometimes when getting on and off the gas but nothing major.....in fact I sort of like it given the syrupy shifts I used to get (I know different issue)

I will agree on the not slowing down part when gas pedal is released....with the Max I tend to get up on peoples rear bumper REAL quick and when I get off the gas I don't find myself slowing down...have to get on the brakes pretty quick...I've driven sticks for the past 15 years so I wasn't sure if this was a trait of all automatics(at least newer ones)

I really, really want to get a 5 spd Max but I'd like to find someone who'll let me borrow theirs for the day(of course I'd give them my wheels) just to feel it out and see how impacted I'd be.....

Anyone know of a place that rents 5 spd Max's
Old 11-30-2000, 10:20 AM

My SE is an auto

so it is a little harder to feel the fuelcut...I feel a jolt sometimes when getting on and off the gas but nothing major.....in fact I sort of like it given the syrupy shifts I used to get (I know different issue)

I will agree on the not slowing down part when gas pedal is released....with the Max I tend to get up on peoples rear bumpers REAL quick and when I get off the gas I don't find myself slowing down...have to get on the brakes pretty quick...I've driven sticks for the past 15 years so I wasn't sure if this was a trait of all automatics(at least newer ones) Wonder if this is contributing to peoples rotor problems

I really, really want to get a 5 spd Max but I'd like to find someone who'll let me borrow theirs for the day(of course I'd give them my wheels) just to feel it out and see how impacted I'd be.....

Anyone know of a place that rents 5 spd Max's
Old 11-30-2000, 10:23 AM

I have an auto... and it jolts...

but its easy to ignore. every once and a while I notice it. its not even close to the top of my complaints.

[Edited by TimW on 11-30-2000 at 06:43 PM]
Old 11-30-2000, 10:35 AM

It's There on '01s

I've got an '01 Se 5-spd and this problem is there. I noticed all the things listed by davedzny on my own, though some of them I thought were just me. I particularly noticed the RPMs being held artificially in place when you let off the gas. I figured this was a design thing. I noticed the increase in RPMs (or rather an inability to hold steady RPM) while in neutral. And I noticed the harsh clunking when cruising slow in first.

The RPM holding between shifts makes it difficult to drive the car smoothly at low speed with easy shifts. The clunk makes it undesirable to drive the car in 1st gear other than for acceleration purposes. So, at low speeds I stick it in 2nd a lot to avoid the clunk, but that brings me back to the difficulty in shifting smoothly at low speeds. I guess if you sit in traffic a lot, you probably wouldnt' like the 5 speed. In my case, the 3.82 gears and corresponding ability to pass without a downshift if I choose on the highway more than make up for the quirks around town.

Old 11-30-2000, 12:05 PM

Re: It's There on '01s

Well I'm glad that you have found out that this is a problem with the Max, and not with yourself. Unfortunately, we are stuck right now as Nissan refuses to consider this a flaw. I have had my car worked on four times (twice by a Nissan DTS), which only made matters worse. I even have an answering machine message from my rep @ Nissan saying they refuse to try to fix my car anymore! Luckilly, I have a ton of evidence against Nissan and am currently pursuing this matter to the full extent available.

It's a shame, since I really love the Max. All I wanted was a 4 door V6 car with a stick and power that fit my budget, and the Max was the only choice. Many others disagree that there is a problem with the Maximas in regards to this "fuel cutoff", and I won't try to force them to believe it. Bottom line is that it is there, and if some aren't bothered by it or refuse to believe it exists, then it's "out of sight, out of mind" for them.

On the other hand, I am an ex ASE certified Mechanic with an Automotive engineering degree, so I know that the car has a problem. I have repaired and driven almost every make and model of car from my time as a mechanic and also as a valet parker in my younger years. No other car has had these "traits" unique to our Maximas in regards to the severity of the "fuel cutoff", or more appropiately the "uncontrollable throttle".

I suggest sending an email to Matt Stone of Motor Trend if the "fuel cut" bothers you, and also send an email to Nissan and call their 800 number to register a complaint. Motor Trend wrote about the "fuel cutoff" briefly in their long term test of a fully loaded 5 speed SE. Here's some contact info:

Matt Stone Motor Trend: StoneM@emapUSA.com
Nissan Consumer Affairs: nnaconsumeraffairs@nissan-usa.com

Dave Z

Originally posted by KilrBz
I've got an '01 Se 5-spd and this problem is there. I noticed all the things listed by davedzny on my own, though some of them I thought were just me. I particularly noticed the RPMs being held artificially in place when you let off the gas. I figured this was a design thing. I noticed the increase in RPMs (or rather an inability to hold steady RPM) while in neutral. And I noticed the harsh clunking when cruising slow in first.

The RPM holding between shifts makes it difficult to drive the car smoothly at low speed with easy shifts. The clunk makes it undesirable to drive the car in 1st gear other than for acceleration purposes. So, at low speeds I stick it in 2nd a lot to avoid the clunk, but that brings me back to the difficulty in shifting smoothly at low speeds. I guess if you sit in traffic a lot, you probably wouldnt' like the 5 speed. In my case, the 3.82 gears and corresponding ability to pass without a downshift if I choose on the highway more than make up for the quirks around town.

Old 11-30-2000, 03:07 PM

I am assuming that the fuel cut "problem"/feature is in there for a reason... Please Elaborate..

What is the benefit.. (is it increased MPG?, engine efficiency?, decreased wear?, or JUST safer for the environment..)??

Old 11-30-2000, 04:46 PM

ooops

I meant to say "its *not* even close to the top of my complaints." with my auto tranny that is...
Old 11-30-2000, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The fuel-cut problem is not a feature . . .

It's a design flaw. It's not as obvious in A/T models as it is in 5-speed models, but I happen to own both models and I can attest to the fact that the flaw exists in both. In fact, the flaw exists in every single 2K and 2K+1 Nissan Maxima ever produced.

Whether you choose to believe that it's a design flaw is entirely up to you. Be advised, however, that I've been following this issue for quite some time and I've studied the evidence carefully. I should also note that independent tests will be soon be conducted to specifically address the fuel-cut issue in 2K and 2K+1 Maximas. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong.
Old 11-30-2000, 07:33 PM

my only point was

that new max's are flying off the lots. People are eating these things up. Yet, I've only heard of a small handful of people really upset about this. I find it pretty annoying myself, but I dont think it would have influenced my purchase quite like it has for you guys with 5spds. If they release a new ECU, I will kick and scream like a little baby to get it...

so the original question is, should I not buy a 2k1 max (auto) because of this. My reply is drive it, more than you would most other cars, over terrain you drive everyday, at speeds you like to drive. See if you can peaceful coexist with it. Thats all.

I still think Nissan has made an engineering compromise here and just is going to stick to it until they hear more then <1% of owners upset about it.

Given your treatment and severity of your particular car tho, I think you have every right to be as vocal as you are and I hope you get some satisfaction from all this. I guarantee you that all the people that call it 'driver skills' would want the new ECU if one was released

Old 11-30-2000, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks, TimW . . .

I'd say your comments are right on the money!
Old 11-30-2000, 09:48 PM

poppycock...

there is no way that Nissan, or any auto manufacturer would make an engineering mistake like this! I think this is just a case of nit-picking if you ask me!
Old 11-30-2000, 10:08 PM

You havent really read these threads I guess..

Its NOT an engineering problem. the car is supposed to work this way. However, it manifests as a driveability problem at some speeds, on some terrain. Normally, I'd say these roads consist of less than 5% of what I travel. But there is another route I could take that has more like 20-25% rolling 35mph hills. Even my auto, I have to drive faster or slower. The cruise cant maintain speed either. I can deal with it, but with a 5sp I would have a problem.

Dont believe them? put your $100 down and pay one of those guys a visit, the offer is on the table. Bring some extra money to get home, cause you will lose your $100 on this bet.

Oh, and car manufacturers dont recall cars???! or have service bulletins? Poppycock indeed...

[Edited by TimW on 12-01-2000 at 12:12 AM]