5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aftermarket ALARM necessary for 2k2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 10:47 AM

Aftermarket ALARM necessary for 2k2?

I have 2k2 w/ factory alarm. The factory alarm serves it purpose, but seems to have the bare minimum for theft protection.

My problem: I keep EVERYTHING in my car.... much of which I would be very dissapointed to lose. Pls advise on whether I should just stop cryin' and go for a VIPER -OR- just calm down and spend the money on a RSB or other bang-4the-buck mod?

Any advise would be appreciated!
Old 05-29-2002, 12:04 PM

i say at the very least, add a shock sensor to the factory alarm. i plan on doing an entire upgrade just to because it will make me feel better. but i think a shock sensor is a necessity.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Newman
i say at the very least, add a shock sensor to the factory alarm. i plan on doing an entire upgrade just to because it will make me feel better. but i think a shock sensor is a necessity.
Newman,
What "upgrade" are you planning to do?

When I was shopping for alarms recently, (VIPER, etc.) it just didn't seem like I'd be getting my money's worth since much of the included options already exist on the car. But like you said: I sure would FEEL better!

Thx!
Old 05-29-2002, 12:26 PM

My alarm is the best thing I've done for my max. After getting my wheels stolen I felt like an idiot for not having one. The factory alarm is useless from my experiences.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

Newman,
What "upgrade" are you planning to do?

When I was shopping for alarms recently, (VIPER, etc.) it just didn't seem like I'd be getting my money's worth since much of the included options already exist on the car. But like you said: I sure would FEEL better!

Thx!
i used to work at a place that sold and installed car alarms. so, what i am going to get is a "435" but that doesnt tell you anything. all it is is an add-on to the actory alarm. it uses the factory remote and it adds a siren and shock sensor among other small things. it is also more customizable than the factory alarm. you can decide how long you want the siren to sound. you can choose to have it chirp when you lock or unlock. (I HATE the *HONK* the 2k2s make when you lock them...and if you disable the HONK you also disable the flashing lights. so, i want the lights to flash but i dont want the HONK). and i can get it for cost so i figure its worth it.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:54 PM
I miss the .org!

Ok, so there are systems out there that can just be add-ons to the factory one? I would just want to add the shock sensor, and remote engine start.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Ok, so there are systems out there that can just be add-ons to the factory one? I would just want to add the shock sensor, and remote engine start.

why add remote start its adding to the problem kid! If you accidentally start the car by sitting on the remote, a thief has half the work done for him already. I feel the same way for the auto window roll down feature. Just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Hey, I had actually gotten mine done at the dealership, they can also add over the existing factory alarm...just thought i would let you know, in case you want to get it done from them..

It cost me 295, which included the chirp, siren, and shock sensor, so you might want to get that checked out as well..up to you man..

Later...
Old 05-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CIRCO

why add remote start its adding to the problem kid! If you accidentally start the car by sitting on the remote, a thief has half the work done for him already. I feel the same way for the auto window roll down feature. Just my opinion.
Sorry Circo,

Remote start doesn't work that easy, it's usually a combination of buttons to activate the remote start, or you have to hold the button for a few seconds before the engine will start. The engine will cut itself off after 10-15 minutes if nothing happens.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Tanmann9

Sorry Circo,

Remote start doesn't work that easy, it's usually a combination of buttons to activate the remote start, or you have to hold the button for a few seconds before the engine will start. The engine will cut itself off after 10-15 minutes if nothing happens.
Also, you can not do anythign inside the car while the car is remote started, by this i mean, hit the accelerator or brake, and the car would shut off....

Hope that helps...

Later...
Old 05-29-2002, 09:16 PM

Clifford

i have a 2002 Maxima SE and i was looking to get an alarm system for my car also. especially since all the xenon's are getting stolen.

if you don't want your car stolen, get a clifford. clifford alarms are the best. viper is garbage compared to clifford (from what i hear).

just check out the website at www.clifford.com and see for yourself. personally, i was looking to get the top of the iine system which costs 1000 installed. but if thats to much, you can always get something cheaper.

the place i'm going to get my alarm done is www.bestsoundsecurity.com they're in queens, NY, and probably the most professional shop in my area.

hope this helps

~eddie
Old 05-29-2002, 10:24 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

also...

the Autopage 750 is all the rage these days.. they made Alpines Top end alarms for a long time, but now that Alpine doesnt sell high end alarms anymore, you can get the same quality from them.

http://www.autopageusa.com/autopageusars750.htm

"The clocks doubles as a temperature indicator for monitoring in-car temperature"

"Transmitting range up to 1000 feet and receiving range up to 1 quarter mile"

btw, this is the one everyone is copying.. this is not the ebay junk you've seen

Old 05-30-2002, 01:12 AM

I think the factory alarm is next to useless.

It didn't stop one guy's stock wheels from being stolen off his 2k Max about 8 blocks north of me. I keep seeing mentions here of people getting their HID headlights stolen too (mostly in NYC). I ended up getting an aftermarket alarm for mine along a tilt sensor and battery backup siren. I also put two wheel locks on each wheel.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:02 PM

Re: also...

Originally posted by TimW
the Autopage 750 is all the rage these days.. they made Alpines Top end alarms for a long time, but now that Alpine doesnt sell high end alarms anymore, you can get the same quality from them.

http://www.autopageusa.com/autopageusars750.htm
Compustar makes a similar set of products:

Compustar website

They make the alarms that are options for Acuras.

One thing about these pager alarms, do you really want to sweat everytime a stiff wind or nut falling out of a tree sets off your alarm? I can imagine being at work and running to the parking lot everytime the pager goes off. What a mess...

Even so, I'm getting the Compustar with pager soon.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:34 PM

Now that all of you have me sufficently scared about the usefullness of my factory alarm, I guess I am going to have to look into purchasing an aftermarket one. The compustar seems really cool, but where do I have to go to get it? Does anyone know a local dealer in CT. I mean every time I log into these forums, I end up spending more money on something else new for my Maxima..I really wish there was that fabled money tree..i am going to need it
Old 05-30-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by mpc578
Now that all of you have me sufficently scared about the usefullness of my factory alarm, I guess I am going to have to look into purchasing an aftermarket one. The compustar seems really cool, but where do I have to go to get it? Does anyone know a local dealer in CT. I mean every time I log into these forums, I end up spending more money on something else new for my Maxima..I really wish there was that fabled money tree..i am going to need it
Check their website for dealer locator. There's only one here in Houston (4th largest city in the US), so there may be none in all of Connecticut.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:06 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by 2k2maxima

Hey, I had actually gotten mine done at the dealership, they can also add over the existing factory alarm...just thought i would let you know, in case you want to get it done from them..

It cost me 295, which included the chirp, siren, and shock sensor, so you might want to get that checked out as well..up to you man..

Later...
Actually, thanks...thats really good to know. Did you have it done when you bought the car, or after? Since the dealer did it, is it covered under warranty then? And lastly, did they use some aftermarket system or Nissan, etc...? Thanks for the info...
Old 05-30-2002, 08:27 PM

i'm not hating

i'm not hating on those 2 way alarm transmitters, but from what i've researched, it's garbage. it's nothing but a toy, and the quarter mile range is if your in a wide open field with no obstructions. these things will not work lets say for example in a movie theatre, when your car is parked right outside.

i know people who have it also, and they regret it. it's fun and looks cool, but they really don't protect your car. kinda like LED windshelld sqirters. people be swearing their car goes faster with that s#it.

anyways, if i were you, i'd go with a clifford alarm. i'm saving up for one myself, and if you get installed by a professional, it will serve it's purpose. they almost guarantee your car won't get stolen.

i suggest checking out the website for more info.

why go budget and worry when you know your car deserves the best?

thats just what i think.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Directed Electronics Inc (aka DEI) is a leader in automotive Alarms. I think it's crap about Viper>Clifford>Python>Avital>Sidewinder>etc. Just find a DEI alarm with the features you want and for the lowest price you can get. goto www.directed.com to get started.
Personally, I like my Avital Phoenix2. I was told it can be added onto most stock alarms, but I've never tried (i had it in my 93 altima and will be installing one in my 95 altima and 93 maxima this weekend). 12volt.com used to rank as the best all around alarm.
Besides a shock sensor, what other features are there? Remote start, siren, windows. Am I missing anything?
Jae
Old 05-30-2002, 09:53 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Re: i'm not hating

Originally posted by EddiexAhn
i'm not hating on those 2 way alarm transmitters,
Well, obviously Clifford is going to be one of the best.. But then again have you shopped lately? The owners of the of shops that carried Clifford and Autopage, put in Autopage 750s in their cars. That impressed me. These are the next gen two way alarms, you shouldnt judge them until you've gone out and seen them in action.

What impressed me is that they did work from an incredible distance and probably the most important part, the LCD tells you what exactly was tripped and current status of the car. I know it seems like over kill but I'm constantly checking to see if I set my alarm, this reports back the status (as well as the temp in the car so you can crack the windows if you think its getting to hot). There also the owner paging, thats really cool, just tap on the glass if you get separated from others and want to meet at the car. This list could go on... just treat yourself to a live demo.

Btw, that alarm cost about as much to install as a top end Clifford. It also has 7 pages of programming options. Its a 2 day install in many shops. Alarm runs about $300-350, depending on features the install can reach $400+ in labor. Again, what you'd expect for a high end Clifford with Autostart. From what I saw in the bays, of the cars getting $5000+ systems, it was half and half Clifford vs. Autopage. and I've been to alot of shops in the last couple of weeks.

The LCDs on those cheap ones are all flash, no features.. that Autopage LCD is friggen packed full of convenience/status info.