5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about Clay Bar for my SE...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 03:30 PM

Question about Clay Bar for my SE...

Hey,

Trying to figure out how to clear off the fade from the bird crap I cleaned off my car. Yesterday I got by bird poo on the front above the headlight. Didn't see until after a nice 40 mile drive home. Obviously the hood got heated and the bird poo got nice and dry and crusty. *bleck*

Anyway, after cleaning if you get at and angle or almost level with the hood and with the right glare, you can see the spot like a acid spot of sorts. This irrates me as I would like to get the out. From most other angles looks fine.

Can a clay bar help with this and if so what would be the right way to do it?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:31 PM

Re: Question about Clay Bar for my SE...

Originally posted by ThomBlaze2k2SE
Hey,

Trying to figure out how to clear off the fade from the bird crap I cleaned off my car. Yesterday I got by bird poo on the front above the headlight. Didn't see until after a nice 40 mile drive home. Obviously the hood got heated and the bird poo got nice and dry and crusty. *bleck*

Anyway, after cleaning if you get at and angle or almost level with the hood and with the right glare, you can see the spot like a acid spot of sorts. This irrates me as I would like to get the out. From most other angles looks fine.

Can a clay bar help with this and if so what would be the right way to do it?

Thanks.
I don't think a claybar will help you in this situation though it couldn't hurt. A claybar is for taking off surface contaminants and oxidation. It sounds as if this bird bomb ate through your clear a little bit. Your best bet is to first clean it with isopropyl alchohol (this will neutralize the acids in the poopy), then polish with a light abrasive polish or cleaner. Try meguiars 3-step crystal polish, or if that doesn't work then try 3M swirl mark remover which is a bit more abrasive. Make sure the surface you are working on is clean and work in the shade. Wax, then enjoy!
Old 06-20-2002, 05:54 PM

This happened to me

It was on a dark blue Cherokee - two big *** spots right in the middle of the hood. I used some Meguiars Scratch X and it came right out. No clay bar necessary, but I think it's like Chinkzilla said, the clay bar wouldn't do much. Scratch X followed by wax and your problem should be solved.

P.S. Paint on a 2001 Cherokee is surprisingly bad - worse than the watercolors they used on my Max. My wife must work next to a nuclear plant or something; another spot on the roof ate right through the paint in ONE DAY. I washed the car the day before, noticed the spot the next night and washed it first thing in the morning. I kept rubbing and the **** wouldn't come off. Then I noticed the bird crap was silver - oops, that was the bare metal. Blue paint chips all over the sponge. Got it repainted under warranty, but it still sucks.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:53 AM

Thanks!

Thanks guys for the replies. Helped alot.

Have a great day!
Old 06-21-2002, 07:44 AM

As mentioned before, the three step of Meguiar's or Mother's works great. Mequiar's is my personal preference.

If you are in a hurry, it can be done in 2 steps. Go with the retail line of Step 1 (Cleaner)or the professional Fine Cut Cleaner. It is very mild and will get off the minor blemishes. It does the same thing as a Clay bar except it uses mild abrasives. It is just prepping your car for polish.

After cleaning with Step 1, go with the Cleaner/Wax from Meguiar's or Mother's. Don't let the name Cleaner/Wax fool you, it has very little cleaner in it. It is really a polish/glaze and sealer in one.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:30 AM

This happened to me, too. Your screwed if it's as ba as mine.
Repainting is the only option. I'm holding off on the paint til they make a carbon fiber hood .