5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 07:37 PM

2000 Maxima Key Question

I had a remote starter installed in my 2000 Maxima SE. To accomplish this I had to give the installer a key to hide in the column to fool the car into starting.

My question is, can I take the keys that I bought on Ebay and have them cut but not programmed and still use them ?

Since there is a key in the column, will it bypass the need for the chip on the key ?

Jeff
Old 07-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 2000 Maxima Key Question

Originally posted by jconte
I had a remote starter installed in my 2000 Maxima SE. To accomplish this I had to give the installer a key to hide in the column to fool the car into starting.

My question is, can I take the keys that I bought on Ebay and have them cut but not programmed and still use them ?

Since there is a key in the column, will it bypass the need for the chip on the key ?

Jeff
You can only use them in the door and the trunk, you will have to have them cut and programmed for the ignition.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:15 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Jeff
That box is a transponder chip and yes you can you just got to get that key programmed with your key code and the key wouldn't have to be cut.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:28 PM

Why would you want to defeat the best security feature in your car? Does your insurance company know you did this? (Your rates are based on the fact that you have the immobilizer system.)

Here's the problem. According to the owner's manual, interference from another transponder chip could cause your car to not start.

Now that the key's been buried in your steering column, unless you get a key without a chip, you run the risk of your car not starting *ALL THE TIME*.

Good luck. Let us know the first time you're stranded, so we'll know if the owner's manual was correct.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:04 PM

Well...I would have to disagree with some people's comments. The "best security feature in your car" is a piece of crap. I too have a remote starter. We actually removed the chip and placed it in the steering column so there isn't a spare key just laying around. Plus, the keys look normal. And even if you got it reprogrammed it would transmit the same as the key that's already there so there won't be any interference problems.

I feel that my alarm is much more secure because it was all hidden from where most smash and grab thieves would look. Everything is mounted behind my screen and DVD player. And if anyone knows how many times the question is asked how to remove the air vents then you know that this is a pretty secure location.

Finally, To answer your question, save money and just get it cut, it will work just fine.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
Well...I would have to disagree with some people's comments.
Hi! Some people here...
The "best security feature in your car" is a piece of crap.
Okay, then, educate me. What is?
I too have a remote starter. We actually removed the chip and placed it in the steering column so there isn't a spare key just laying around. Plus, the keys look normal. And even if you got it reprogrammed it would transmit the same as the key that's already there so there won't be any interference problems.
Know how transponders work, do you? How do you think the system knows one key from another if they all transmit the same code?

We have passive responders in our max keys. They will xmit a response to the challenge that the transmitter in the car asks for. Each key has it's own code, otherwise the system wouldn't work.

If you have two responders in the same vicinity, you may have a problem if both answer at the same time. Since the manual also mentions gas station and tollway transponders, we must be using some common system, such as those in GM cars. (Woudn't if be funny if it was a Delco system? )

Finally, To answer your question, save money and just get it cut, it will work just fine.
[/B]
Ah, yes, the "Works for me, so there can't be a problem" syndrome. I never did quite understand that type of argument.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:35 AM

Maybe this is a related question. I have a 2k SE and after about one year the car would not start until I turned the key 2 or 3 times. It is now worse, a couple of times I feared being stranded and on the 15 or so try and after slipping the trans into nuetral it started. This is a random occurance and I've notified my dealer to get this issue tied to my car while it is still under warantee.
When it does this, I turn the key and nothing, no clicking etc and the battery is fine.
Anyone know what may be causing this??
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:27 AM

I'm not going to get involved in an antagonistic flame war here, but realize that there were many complaints about the keys during the 2000 model year. Complaints included proper keys not allowing the car to start.

Most mods are tested using the "Works for me, so there can't be a problem" method. Ooglie CAI, 2K2 headlight swap. Do I need to go on? Plain and simple I still have 2 keys and if I do lose one I can get a new one for $2 while you can spend $85 to get yours reprogrammed. Oh and does your "best security feature in your car" give you a guarantee against theft like my Clifford does? I'm pretty sure that Nissan is not going to pay the deductible when your car is stolen because there security system was compromised.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

I worked with these. What they do is what they do they transmit a signal thinking the key is there. You can have a blank key programmed with your code. That transponder works with aftermarket alarms in fact you have to install one once you put a amftermarket alarm in. This is when the aftermarket alarm goes off it doesn't send a signal to the transponder chip. Therefore you car is still immoblized. Now if you just put in the starter you have more chances your car could be stolen. But when you have an aftermarket alarm in it has a starter kill which stops the car from being started. My advice is if you get a starter get an alarm to.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies, although I don't think the question was really answered.

The key that was hidden in the column was trimmed right after the black part where the transponder is, I think I left that out of the original post.

I have had the starter in for over a year and a half, with no problems and if they arise down the road, the car is out of warranty anyway because of the miles. I bought the car to drive and the convenience of the remote starter outweighs the thought the the car might get stolen.

Either way, I'll just stick with the 2 remaining keys and I'll resell the 2 AE keys I bought. I really wanted to have a 3rd key, that was the reason for the post.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:19 PM

Most mods are tested using the "Works for me, so there can't be a problem" method. Ooglie CAI, 2K2 headlight swap. Do I need to go on? Plain and simple I still have 2 keys and if I do lose one I can get a new one for $2 while you can spend $85 to get yours reprogrammed. Oh and does your "best security feature in your car" give you a guarantee against theft like my Clifford does? I'm pretty sure that Nissan is not going to pay the deductible when your car is stolen because there security system was compromised.
I understand now. You PAID FOR AN AFTERMARKET ALARM SYSTEM. Just how much did that alarm system cost, versus your insurance deductables? Besides, where does the original poster say he got an alarm system? Nowhere I can see, he just said he got a remote starter. So, he did REMOVE THE BEST SECURITY FEATURE IN HIS CAR.

And yes, I still stand by the "Works for me" as a bad example. I cited the most authoritative source most of us have, THE OWNERS MANUAL. Ever bother to read it? It says there could be a problem. Your car could fail to start.

Consider the number of MAF failures you're read about here. Think any average person (who needs a realiable car) would want to install a CAI until the problem is solved? (Yeah, there might be. Anything for horsepower.)

Now I really know how Y2KSE felt when he got slammed for the tire stuff.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:14 AM

Since the orginal poster has not responded to this thread I thought I would end it this way KaxMaxSEAE. Nice picture and nice choice in color.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:03 AM

Since the orginal poster has not responded to this thread I thought I would end it this way KaxMaxSEAE. Nice picture and nice choice in color.
Awww. Group hug.

(Sorry for getting on you, xtantmaxima, too used to usenet. )
Old 07-10-2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by mike-777
Maybe this is a related question. I have a 2k SE and after about one year the car would not start until I turned the key 2 or 3 times. It is now worse, a couple of times I feared being stranded and on the 15 or so try and after slipping the trans into nuetral it started. This is a random occurance and I've notified my dealer to get this issue tied to my car while it is still under warantee.
When it does this, I turn the key and nothing, no clicking etc and the battery is fine.
Anyone know what may be causing this??
Thanks for any suggestions.
I assume you get power to the Max when you turn it on?

Do you have a transponder on the same keychain as your Max key? (Speedpass, i-pass, etc. I even have a transponder that deactivates an alarm system to an old office.)

Take the max key off your keychain and try it again. Look in your owners manual to see how to reset the immobilizer system. Your turning the key repeatedly may be resetting the system.

If that doesn't work, your trans will only allow you to start with the clutch pedal fully depressed. Check the lockout switch.

(Oh, check your battery terminals for corrosion too. I had a car that really had weird symptoms until I checked and cleaned the battery terminal.)