6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: How does it look?
Looks good
42.51%
Looks ugly
29.95%
the look will grow on me
24.81%
no comment
2.72%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 06:47 AM

I think the only people who like this car are the loyal Maxima enthusiasts.

I'm in the wholesale car business, and see all the new cars close up - everyone I work with thinks they're ugly. Doesn't matter if it's a fellow mechanic, or a desk jockey in the office. Everybody hates this car.

And Maximas are very popular here - we have '02s going through our auction for as low as 16K. A lot of car for the money.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by CFster
I think the only people who like this car are the loyal Maxima enthusiasts...
Not true...
Take a browse through this forum... there are a number of first time Max buyers who love this car!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:00 AM

Well I'm starting to see them more often now. I have been seeing people with this car at least 2 times a week. I think I don't mind the rear end that much any more. It's the front end. The Baby Huey front tooth and also the shape of the lights don't appeal to me. And as I said before, I think the wheel wells don't go up into the car enough. It comes out looking all tall. Is that what you were talking about too, BlackSEmax? If not, what is the B pillar?

Anyway, despite all that has been said, when I'm ready to get another car, this Maxima will be high on my list of prospects.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:34 PM

I admit I was one that voted in this poll I thought the car was ugly. What was I thinking? Now that we have an 04, I can't stop looking at it when we're outside and it is parked in the driveway. Side by side with my 02, they are BOTH great looking cars. but this 04 is nice from all angles and inside and out. Get used to the look, I predict you will be seing a lot of them on the road. True there is nothing like it on the road, but that is what I like. Now the ONLY thing I'm not going to like is when the Quest comes out wearing pretty much the same grill...it's one thing to be mistaken for an Altima, but a Quest?

One reason I got my buddy at eggraphics to make me 4" etched glass "MAXIMA" decals for the fixed portion of the rear glass. Should be no question what we're in. BTW...these decals look great...kind of like the 2nd gen Max's which also had the "MAXIMA" script on the rear glass...only these look nicer.

Anyway...very pleased with the Max and everyone that has seen ours comments on how nice it looks. We're getting some reaction to this car that I never got even with my 01 when it was new. I wouldn't have predicted it...

srm
Old 04-14-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Minimalmaxima
Well I'm starting to see them more often now. I have been seeing people with this car at least 2 times a week. I think I don't mind the rear end that much any more. It's the front end. The Baby Huey front tooth and also the shape of the lights don't appeal to me. And as I said before, I think the wheel wells don't go up into the car enough. It comes out looking all tall. Is that what you were talking about too, BlackSEmax? If not, what is the B pillar?

Anyway, despite all that has been said, when I'm ready to get another car, this Maxima will be high on my list of prospects.
B pillar = the post between the front and rear doors. (Starting from the front widshield with A, B in the middle and C pillar behind the back door).

What I described as fat you have more precisely labeled "tall". I will be content to enjoy the view from the drivers seat.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello newbie here.

I can't believe the poll has a higher percentage of you who think the '04 is ugly

I test drove an SE w/Driver and Journey pkg, auto red/black. I was impressed!! The look of the car is what took me to the lot! Received a picture on a brochure from Nissan and had to go see it and drive it. As you can see in my signature, I drive a Pathfinder. In December, I sold my wifes '02 Acura TL-Stype and got her a Tahoe. We had purchased the Tl-S when it first came onto the market in February '01. I can tell you, the TL-S is powerful, however the TLS NO WAY feels as refined as the new MAXIMA
The ride of the TLS was horrible. Handling was poor at higher speeds and the car had exessive body lean in corners. The seating in the Maxima is more comfortable also. I will be going on a few more test drives for sure I am trying to decide if I want to get the Maxima or wait on the new full size SUV or keep my Pathfinder that is loaded with Nissan accessories and chrome LE wheels. The Maxima gets much better gas mileage than either of the SUV's and from what I have read, it will do better than the TLS did also.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by RHINO
Hello newbie here.

I can't believe the poll has a higher percentage of you who think the '04 is ugly

I test drove an SE w/Driver and Journey pkg, auto red/black. I was impressed!! The look of the car is what took me to the lot! Received a picture on a brochure from Nissan and had to go see it and drive it. As you can see in my signature, I drive a Pathfinder. In December, I sold my wifes '02 Acura TL-Stype and got her a Tahoe. We had purchased the Tl-S when it first came onto the market in February '01. I can tell you, the TL-S is powerful, however the TLS NO WAY feels as refined as the new MAXIMA
The ride of the TLS was horrible. Handeling was poor at higher speeds and the car had exessive body lean in corners. The seating in the Maxima is more comfortable also. I will be going on a few more test drives for sure I am trying to decide if I want to get the Maxima or wait on the new full size SUV or keep my Pathfinder that is loaded with Nissan accessories and chrome LE wheels. The Maxima gets much better gas mileage than either of the SUV's and from what I have read, it will do better than the TLS did also.
Good observation Newbie, yes we love our Maxes, yes we think its fugly. We think so because it is. The 5th Gen Max is bigger than a cureent 5-series BMW. The new Altima is much bigger than a 5Th Gen. Max. The 6th Generation Max. rides on an extended Altima wheelbase, yikes it's a big fugly car. Saw one today on the road and that damn thing is plain big. It looks futuristic with that fixed open glass on the roof that makes it look like the car has a tomahawk I mean the car is big and those who have driven the car claim that is has razor-sharp handling but a car that big(who are those folks kidding). Can't speak for other folks but, I'm not buying, seriously folks. The car makes me just look at my 5Th Gen. Max. and smile.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RHINO
[B]Hello newbie here.

We had purchased the Tl-S when it first came onto the market in February '01. I can tell you, the TL-S is powerful, however the TLS NO WAY feels as refined as the new MAXIMA
The ride of the TLS was horrible. Handling was poor at higher speeds and the car had exessive body lean in corners. The seating in the Maxima is more comfortable also.

I think you are wrong..The TLS ride is wonderful, controled firm with out being harsh. Unless you had it at high speeds on a frozen pond..I don't get that statement either. Tls may look like an Accord..but is is far above it.

Seating in the TLs is very comphy..New max does have a bit more room in the rear.

I am one of the few who like the new Max minus a few cosmetic flaws..

1. Buck tooth

2. Big flat rings around the wheels
Old 04-19-2003, 04:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You 'think' I'm wrong? Have you owned a TLS? Have you driven one on the streets of New Orleans? Have you driven one above 140mph? As I said, the new Maxima feels more refined. And as far as a TLS being far above a Accord, it's not $11000.00 above it.. I owned a '02 EXV6 also and that is actually a much better riding car, too small though.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:51 AM

I've seen a couple on the streets down here in Miami already and I think the 04 is starting to grow on me even though I think the only good color is black. I'm pass by a dealer one of these days and see whats up with it up close.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by RHINO
You 'think' I'm wrong? Have you owned a TLS? Have you driven one on the streets of New Orleans? Have you driven one above 140mph? As I said, the new Maxima feels more refined. And as far as a TLS being far above a Accord, it's not $11000.00 above it.. I owned a '02 EXV6 also and that is actually a much better riding car, too small though.
Yes

Yes

No, on the streets of Ohio and PA

Yes.

I disagree with the 02 accord..But the 03 is some competition..But not quite there
Old 04-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by wild *****

Yes

Yes

No, on the streets of Ohio and PA

Yes.

I disagree with the 02 accord..But the 03 is some competition..But not quite there
The all knowing wild *****... Board ****'s, all forums have them so I'm used to it... state your opinion and someone there to say your wrong.

'
Old 04-19-2003, 09:39 AM

No Nazzi here..but that is funny. I just have a different opinion of the TLs. I think it is a great car for the money...fully loaded it is cheaper than a fully loaded max and it has a resale value. Not to mention good service...something totally missing from nissan

Happy easter
Old 04-19-2003, 12:56 PM

The answer is simple. Both are built here, not in Japan. The TL is based off the Accord and shared 45% of it's parts (the previous Accord) and the Max is a 35k car loaded (MORE than a loaded TL) so even though it is an "ACURA" it won't feel much better.

Wild ***** is cool, just has the courage of his convictions wrong or right (sound familiar)?

Oh, and I test-drove it and it ain't worth 30-35k at all. It DOES look better in person and I prefer it in dark colors but it's no pretty queen.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Agreed on the not built in Japan portion, that is the one fact about the Max6 that makes me skeptical. It's hard to imagine Billybob, Cooter and Klem building a Neesawwn better than Ho, Dung and Lee.. The TLS was the same when introduced. Meaning dealers were getting full MSRP and sometimes more which overpriced the market for a while. Like the TLS, the prices will come down on the Max6. I put about 100 miles on my test drive, and stand by what I said about how the Maxima felt more refined. I would like to see noise db ratings and skid pad comparisons to see if what I think is fact. As for price, I have done business with the dealership for several years and they know I will only do business my way. For what I want, a SE auto w/ Drivers group and normal sunroof, liquid silver or possibly spirited bronze I can purchase for $29,700 which is about 600 to 700 over invoice, so they will deal if needed. As for service, the Nissan dealership I do business with is 'bar none' the best dealership I have ever dealt with from any make of car I have bought....even Porsche. Sad but true.

Wild ***** IS cool! Since he has a sense of humor, I know for sure he's no board ****.....
Old 04-19-2003, 05:06 PM

***** has been gone for several hour doing ****tails...But...the Maxima...with as much as i would need to feel completely loaded..under 30k is one hell of a car. My Altima stickered for 29083....now that is a sin and it upsets me to know i could have had an 04 max for close to the same price. I DID NOT PAY THAT. but still If I had a choice between a pretty loaded max for say...27-28..I do not need Navi...Probably would go that rout..fix the tooth and live with the big flat lips around the wheel wells. Can't wee what i typed..so I hope it makes sense.Again Happy easter to All you SOB's with a Nice interrior
Old 04-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Since in this forum we're not allowed to post our opinions on the looks anywhere but in this thread, I thought I would reply to the recent post that both asked if anyone knew of an aftermarket grille that was in the works and criticized the looks of the new grille. I have to agree that the 04 grille looks ridiculous. I would never buy the car unless I could find a suitable factory-looking replacement. Perhaps the looks of the 6th gen will grow on me much as the 5th gen did (and I still have certain issues with it), but it isn't looking promising right now, particularly with that strange beak.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by SonGouko
The car looks like a big lincoln continental geez the car is ugly... from what frontal pics I saw the grill seems to be bigger and more distorted than the altima... Yes the first 5th gen were ugly 95-96... That's why (just my opinion) most of us have 97-99 Max's cause the first design was ugly and then they made a few changes... The fact is that now there are trying to move to an older crowd forgetting that young people made up much of there sales to the corp.... Who are the mooks that do customer surveys on whether or not the mass will like the car...? they should be shot...At least fired at..
----------If you only could drive down the street with My 265 h.p., 5 speed a.t. MAXIMA you would get another p.t. job just to buy one !
Old 04-23-2003, 05:12 PM

If you only could drive down the street with My 265 h.p., 5 speed a.t. MAXIMA you would get another p.t. job just to buy one !

I'm seeing a few now and it looks huge, the wheel gaps are huge and the trunk looks very short, not to mention the buck tooth. It looks so much better in black or navy. Those quad pipes look silly too.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:05 PM

compare the fronts of the z and the maxima...if they could eliminate that grille, it might improve the look..or maybe let the color blend in instead of a chrome that stands out. Right now, i can picture a black 2k4 with a black grille looking okay.

oh and i voted fugly..polls are tending towards that anyways, so i guess i aint alone
Old 04-27-2003, 01:15 PM

I like the new look, especially in black. It seems to have more of a Euro look..

Looks Cool
Old 04-27-2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Ghost face Max
I like the new look, especially in black. It seems to have more of a Euro look..

Looks Cool
It does have a Euro look but, not in a good way. It looks like and old Opel, the kind that should be forgotten, not redone. Now also, not all Euro cars, old and new have good styling, I mean one thing is the old 2002 BMW, another thing is old Opels or Volvos. I just plain don't like it. I currently have 74K on my 2K Max and am interested in a new car and am very interested in a 2K3 G35C, however, much like my 2K Max, it has lots of inherent manufacturing defects, maybe too many or my taste. I hope that they fix them for 2K4, otherwise, I'll just gow with a 330CI.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

I'm seeing a few now and it looks huge, the wheel gaps are huge and the trunk looks very short, not to mention the buck tooth. It looks so much better in black or navy. Those quad pipes look silly too.
Okay, by no means take me as a fan of the new look; I voted ugly too. But I gotta say that the pipes are cool, man. And I dig the rear end more than the one on the 5th gen. Only thing is the front. The grille needs fixin', sure, but I think the whole front end needs reshaping or stretched or compacted or contorted or something. The shape doesn't work for me. So that and the torque steer people keep talking about (I've not driven one) make me look at a G35 coupe or something as the car I will get when I get my hands on some dough. I love the idea of having four doors with a regular shifter and powerful engine since I plan to be a family man some day, but since I have found that I enjoy driving my car most when I'm alone listening to Haydn or Nelly, and the maxima no longer looks all that hot, man I just don't know anymore.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't hate, appreciate.

In my opinion the new Maxima is the best design ever made. If you were really able to see this vehicle in person and get to drive it, you would understand what I'm talking about. It is a PHAT ride and nothing can even compare to its' power and looks. Now I do agree that at first glimpse the grille isn't tasteful. But, I have a great imagination as far as modifications. Believe me my new Max will be anything other than stock.

Originally posted by 04maxima
----------If you only could drive down the street with My 265 h.p., 5 speed a.t. MAXIMA you would get another p.t. job just to buy one !
Old 04-28-2003, 07:10 AM

I'm with the DOC, best Maxima ever.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:45 AM

I like it a little more each time I see it
Old 05-01-2003, 08:05 AM
jreddington

Re: Unbelievable

Originally posted by ISUConE
Well I have to admit it. I would not have believed it. It really does look better in person. I don't know how, but it does. Incredible how it does not photograph well.
I thought the same thing about the Murano, (not that I would ever be in the market for an SUV). Photos, especially in the ugly orgage did not do it justice. Like you, I don't know why it looks better in person.

However, the new Maxima still looks pretty ugly to me. I still think the styling of my '92 is the peak of Maxima styling. However, knowing I wouldn't be picking up a new '04 I recently purchased an '03. The styling is growing on me. Especially when I had the two cars parked together in front of my house I could pick up the family resemblance and it made the '03 look better in my eyes. I think it would have the opposite effect if I saw the '04 next to my '92.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Administrator

people people.. everyone is entitled to their own opinions.. please respect them.

I am not going to moderate this thread because everyone is free to say what they want, but please respect the other guy/gal's opinion
Old 05-01-2003, 12:36 PM

So far I must admit, I've hated the car as far as looks go. Last Monday I saw a silver one at work and I must say, WOW! The interior is top-notch, as good as it gets. However, that buck tooth, I can't get over it. Love my 2K SE, but will probably never buy Nissan again. Was considering a 2K4 G35C but, much like my Max, it seems to have way too many manufacture defects. I've replaced all rotors and pads on my Max, Bose CD player, need to replace the soft windshield, need to repaint the chipped front bumper(again), and on and on and on. I'm pretty sure I'd rather fork out extra $$$$ upfront, but never deal with any of those problems on the backend. I hope those of you buyin the 6Th Gen. Max. enjoy it beause I know I wouldn't. It's also way bigger than the Altima, or at least it looks like it. Don't think I'd want a car bigger then my 2K, ever.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just joined the forum becuase I just picked up a 2K4 Max. I never thought of buying one before until I saw the 6th gen. It's beautiful inside and out. The performance is awesome. I wouldn't mind changing the grill, but I can live with it for now until a new design comes out. The front end does need to be dropped a little, maybe an even gap with the back. But I have no regrets, glad to be a part of the Maxima family!!
Old 05-02-2003, 08:26 AM

Let's all write Nissan with our suggestions and maybe see a grill change in 2005!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:39 PM

I have been a nissan buyer for quite some time. I recently purchased the 2004 after having a 94 Altima for years. I've always wanted a Max and am glad I waited. Of course, I dig it or I wouldn't have laid down the dough. I do agree with the extreme of "either you like it or hate it". The Nissan rep I spoke with said there may be a new grill in a month or so. Yes, it would be nice if the front wheel gap was as minimum as the rear. I'm new to the forum and look forward to chatting with everyone. Check photos linked on my profile. Keep in mind the majority were taken with a cheap azz camera.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:15 PM

to diaz and ricerocketjocke: Dudes, welcome to the family!!
Old 05-03-2003, 02:23 PM

Happy Halloween!

It's not a tooth - it's a nose, which makes the orange version look like a jack-o'-lantern on wheels.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:25 AM

To Minimalmaxima...thanx for the welcome...good lookin' out.

To Ranger Talon...if that's the case, I've gotten crazy compliments on my "jack-o-lantern" and it's wheels from all peoples. No worries.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Minimalmaxima...thanks for the welcoming!! Great to be here!

RiceRocketJockey
Old 06-02-2003, 03:45 PM

replaces the ugliest maxima ever, so of course thats a good thing.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by Linh
replaces the ugliest maxima ever, so of course thats a good thing.
Now that's not nice
Old 06-04-2003, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm a little disappointed with the new Maxima. With the new design for the Altima out, I was hoping for something more out of the 6th gen Maxima. You only get 20 more horsepower than the Altima, and the Altima is lighter by 115kg (SE). I guess I was hoping for something that would whip the Altima with style. The exterior is better in life than in pictures. (I'm sure someone will come out with a cool body kit for the front). For that $$, I think I'd spend an extra $5000 to get the Infiniti G35 Coupe (6-speed manual or 5 speed with performance package) and do some serious whipping with style.

All in all: the new Maxima looks like a cross between a Cadillac and an Altima.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:26 PM

I feel the same evil , I have a 3rd gen and I feel that its the best looking one , but i like the way the 4th and 5th look . but the new 2004

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima