6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: How does it look?
Looks good
42.51%
Looks ugly
29.95%
the look will grow on me
24.81%
no comment
2.72%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
those of you who owned 5th gens before, how is the ride of the 6th gen compared to the 5th? And what about the torque steer?
I owned a 2000 GLE before. My 2004 SL has a much better ride/handling/power! More torque steer, but a much more powerful engine too. If I don't use full throttle durning a turn, then it is like my 2000. I think the 04 Max is reaching the limit of power and torque for a front-wheel drive car.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPilot
I owned a 2000 GLE before. My 2004 SL has a much better ride/handling/power! More torque steer, but a much more powerful engine too. If I don't use full throttle durning a turn, then it is like my 2000. I think the 04 Max is reaching the limit of power and torque for a front-wheel drive car.
So what do you mean by the limits to the power and torque on a front wheel drive car? Do you mean technology is incapable of producing more power with the FWD set up or do you mean that engineers intentionally stop at a certain point with the power in order to avoid extreme torque steer? If the first is true, what exactly is it about the actual mechanics of the engine and FWD setup that limit horsepower and torque?
Old 11-09-2003, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
So what do you mean by the limits to the power and torque on a front wheel drive car? Do you mean technology is incapable of producing more power with the FWD set up or do you mean that engineers intentionally stop at a certain point with the power in order to avoid extreme torque steer? If the first is true, what exactly is it about the actual mechanics of the engine and FWD setup that limit horsepower and torque?

When a FWD car turns, the outside wheel rotates faster than the inside wheel and if engine torque is being applied to that wheel (which it is) naturally that will cause the car to turn more in that direction.

How can you overcome this without limiting engine torque? Or slowing down that wheel by some means (brake) during a turn? FWD setups don’t limit horsepower and torque. What I am saying is that the new Maxima is pushing the limits of being able to apply that torque to the ground with the FWD setup without artificially limiting the torque during a turn.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPilot
When a FWD car turns, the outside wheel rotates faster than the inside wheel and if engine torque is being applied to that wheel (which it is) naturally that will cause the car to turn more in that direction.

How can you overcome this without limiting engine torque? Or slowing down that wheel by some means (brake) during a turn? FWD setups don’t limit horsepower and torque. What I am saying is that the new Maxima is pushing the limits of being able to apply that torque to the ground with the FWD setup without artificially limiting the torque during a turn.
Okay. So you're saying that if the max had any more torque, then the uneven turning and speed of the wheels during turns would get worse and worse? I guess that would make handling sucky.

I thought the transmission with HLSD or whatever was supposed to compensate for this. I mean if one tire has more traction doesn't it get more power and spin more. Or could that still not help? I guess the outside wheel has more traction during a turn no matter how good a suspension you have, and so if that wheel is given more power, that would still make the car try to turn the other way.

And on top of that, there's the ever-present torque steer. How come there can't be a RWD max?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

It wasn't until I walked among them on the dealer's lot in March that I realized the sum of this car is much greater than the parts. The overall impression from up close is one of power, performance, luxury and 'cutting edge' style. It was only when I saw this car 'in person' that I was certain this would be my next vehicle.

When you finally get it, I guarantee that you won't be disappointed! The "sum of this car ['s parts]" seems an apt analogy.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:32 PM

OT, but this just in.... Toyota Passes Ford as the #2 automaker!!! Toyota has some ugly cars but they must be doing something right they honda and nissan cant do......

I guess this ties in to all the new ugly nissan products and if it will help nissan grow...or not...

any opinions... even though its OT?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:11 PM

OT, but this just in.... Toyota Passes Ford as the #2 automaker!!! Toyota has some ugly cars but they must be doing something right they honda and nissan cant do......

I guess this ties in to all the new ugly nissan products and if it will help nissan grow...or not...

any opinions... even though its OT?
But that Camry is just not good-looking, man. Looks like a boat. (ES 330 is ugly too.) Corolla S is acceptable, but it does look tall and scrunched up, like a toy car that would say "for ages 2 and up" or something. You know what I mean? But soooo many people have Toyotas, especially Camries. Just like the altima. None of you think the altima is good-looking, do you? No way. Matrix is cool. Would anybody consider driving a prius? Echo? I'd like to see that happen. People are buying Toyotas purely because of their history.

BTW, if it counts, with me there's nothing that directly or indirectly has to do with the max that's OT.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:06 PM

But that Camry is just not good-looking, man. Looks like a boat. (ES 330 is ugly too.) Corolla S is acceptable, but it does look tall and scrunched up, like a toy car that would say "for ages 2 and up" or something. You know what I mean? But soooo many people have Toyotas, especially Camries. Just like the altima. None of you think the altima is good-looking, do you? No way. Matrix is cool. Would anybody consider driving a prius? Echo? I'd like to see that happen. People are buying Toyotas purely because of their history.

BTW, if it counts, with me there's nothing that directly or indirectly has to do with the max that's OT.
I guess all the four banger CanWe's on the road did it for Toyota. A few more Altimas and Nissan may not be far behind. Now that the Maxima ads are back on tv it will be interesting to see how many 6 gens start popping up on the freeways. The one thing I dislike though is that the Quest also has the tooth.

Wonder what Ford's answer will be to Toyota?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:13 PM

tru, it has nothing to directly do with the maximas, but indirectly, its competetion that beats maximas with ugly looks... I guess old people dont care about looks because i see soo many camrys here driven by old people... I also have a nack for bring OT subjects in from time to time to see what my Maxima.org brothers have to say about it.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by m00se
I guess all the four banger CanWe's on the road did it for Toyota. A few more Altimas and Nissan may not be far behind. Now that the Maxima ads are back on tv it will be interesting to see how many 6 gens start popping up on the freeways. The one thing I dislike though is that the Quest also has the tooth.

Wonder what Ford's answer will be to Toyota?
Ford has had plenty of oppurtunities to match Japanese vehicles..... they dont know which direction they want to take.. seems all these american companies want to go backwards in design..... Maybe its time to rethink..... I dont know any american car (i can think of) that looks as good as the maxima.....
Old 11-11-2003, 04:00 PM

Yeah the Camries (or CanWe?s, I like that ) are friggin everywhere. It is such a soccer/ballet mom's car. But I see more and more sixth gens on the road every day. At my church, for instance, recently there have almost gotten to be as many maxes (of various gens) as camries (of various gens as well). For a while it looked like everyone had a camry. Now there are three 4th gens, three 3rd gens, two 5th gens, and 2 6th gens. One guy just got his when he was hit head on in his 3.5 RL or whatever those acuras are. He had a 4th gen before the acura and now he is really diggin his 6th gen. Maxima is risin' up.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:35 AM

Here in Bingamton, NY i have seen maybe 2 6th gens in the last 5 months.. and I know those people.... I beat one in my auto (auto vs auto)... I think the camry is the number one celling car here.... so are 4runners....
Old 11-12-2003, 04:44 PM

Here in Bingamton, NY i have seen maybe 2 6th gens in the last 5 months.. and I know those people.... I beat one in my auto (auto vs auto)... I think the camry is the number one celling car here.... so are 4runners....
So you were draggin vs. this 6th gen guy on a straightaway, right? Did this guy have the 18 or 17 inch wheels?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:39 PM

So you were draggin vs. this 6th gen guy on a straightaway, right? Did this guy have the 18 or 17 inch wheels?

Ha... I wish.... I moved here from Tenn, and not used to the slow 55mph speed limit.... But i raced an accord all the way to 125 mph....

One of the maximas i saw is owned by someone that goes to my school (binghamton University).... but thats an old person.... I dont know the other guy. dont most maximas come with 18 inchers now?
Old 11-13-2003, 08:41 PM

When I saw the 6th Gen Maxima in print, I was excited until it hit the showroom. When i went to check it out, it turn out to be a disappointment because in person wasn't impressive looking. Yes, it's different however it look too much likeness of the Altima from the side of the car. The rear end, I love it, look so aggressive and sporty like the Z. The front end really killed the whole "sportiness" look. Just wish they could done better with the grille. But give it another year before Nissan will realize that it needs to be revised or give it a face lift. Look at the 4th Gen Maxima the 95-96 wasn't really a hit especially the grille until 97-99 they gave a mild treatment and it actually sold better. Bottom line, give it a year or two before Nissan make it better and who knows it may be a hit or a miss. You never know especially the market is a mystery.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:39 PM

All i could say right now is that new maxima is look ugly but great interior. But I need to get used to that car. Maybe I will like it or hate it. My example when I first saw 350Z , I hate the look but I got used to it, and later I love it. Maybe I will do the same with 04 max.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:05 PM

what is the diff in the 350 engine vs max engine that gives it 287 Hp?
Old 11-21-2003, 04:45 AM

All I can say is that I hated the 5th gen when it first came out and now I love that body style, I'm sure it will be the same with the 6th gen..just give it time.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Phatmax98
All I can say is that I hated the 5th gen when it first came out and now I love that body style, I'm sure it will be the same with the 6th gen..just give it time.
I still think the rear end on the 5th gen leaves much to be desired. It looks like a neon. (Now the 6th looks like the ion, but Nissan did more with that little motif.)To be honest though, even though I think the 97-99 is the best looking max ever, its rear end could be better too. It's still better than 5th gen, though.

But just about every car has angles where it doesn't look so good. K1maxima02 says the z had to grow on him. I liked it from the start, but when you look at it head on, the humpy wheel fenders are kinda ugly.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:51 PM

the front of the 5th gen was too good looking.. many people say it reminds them of a skyline.....
Old 11-22-2003, 09:14 PM

the front of the 5th gen was too good looking.. many people say it reminds them of a skyline.....
Yeah front end of the fifth gen is tight. Are there differences on the front end b/w the 02/03 and the 00/01 besides the larger Nissan emblem? I think I favor the 02/03.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:45 AM

Yeah front end of the fifth gen is tight. Are there differences on the front end b/w the 02/03 and the 00/01 besides the larger Nissan emblem? I think I favor the 02/03.

Yeah, the headlights are different... The 2002, 2003 offered HIDs and also the 2002, 2003 bumper and grill are different.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 looks

Originally Posted by SprintMax
post your comments and vote here...

any more individual ugly posts will be locked...

As much as I like the previous models, they were getting a bit long in the teeth.
The 04 is fabulous.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:28 PM

I think it looks like a Altima in the back and a Sentra in the front. I am not really crazy about the grill or the non funtional sun roof.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:46 AM

the '04's rear quarter panel looks like the Saturn IoN
Hate steering whell /dash/ skyview(no purpose)

Love the rear end, Front can live with (Trenz grill)
Powerfull- Feels more surefooted w/ independent rear than my 5th gen-

Overall nice car- cant wait to see if a 25th Anniversary 6th gen w/come out with a facelift-

I've driven a 6 speed for 24 hrs when they came out - it didn't feel in love with it- so my comments have weight behind them
Old 12-06-2003, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by LovelyPearl
...I am not really crazy about the grill or the non funtional sun roof.
I personally prefer a functional sunroof as well.... that's why I chose it as an option. However IMO the SkyView roof is certainly an interesting, progressive standard feature rather than a solid metal roof!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:00 AM
is invisible

I am always up for Maxima-bashing, but I have to admit that this new Maxima commands a presence on the road, whether it's bearing down on you from behind, when you are sitting next to it, or viewing from the rear. Granted it's not the most beautiful car out there, the typical wedge shape of most other cars looks outdated when compared to this car.
Big deal if it may be a hair slower than the 3.5L 5th gen - it has more to offer.
As far as being based on the Altima/Murano...I see nothing wrong with that. At least it doesn't incoporate the cost-saving log-beam suspension that has been used for 8 years.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:33 PM

who said its slower?? I happen to think its an even drivers race. the extra power that nissan CLAIMS it has should cancel out the extra weight. I know that my girls 2k2 does not pull as hard as my 04 but hers is an auto, even though some will say a 6 speed is faster isnt the only reason for that being quicker shifts?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:19 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Glude
who said its slower?? I happen to think its an even drivers race. the extra power that nissan CLAIMS it has should cancel out the extra weight. I know that my girls 2k2 does not pull as hard as my 04 but hers is an auto, even though some will say a 6 speed is faster isnt the only reason for that being quicker shifts?
Who said it's faster? I happen to think the majority will agree that the 6-speed 5th gen is the quickest/fastest.
Forgive me for giving the '04 Maxima an positive review overall...I guess you can't win them all.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
post your comments and vote here...

any more individual ugly posts will be locked...

Like most Maximas (including mine, and my old '95) the '04 looks best from a rear quarter view (cool shape). Unlike 4th and 5th gens, it also looks okay from the rear. And then from directly in front there's that goofy chipmunk tooth on the grill (what's that about?)

Looks a little heavy to me too, but I'm used to a different shape.

(Santa hat chosen by my five-year-old )
Old 12-21-2003, 10:56 AM

Okay. So you're saying that if the max had any more torque, then the uneven turning and speed of the wheels during turns would get worse and worse? I guess that would make handling sucky.

I thought the transmission with HLSD or whatever was supposed to compensate for this. I mean if one tire has more traction doesn't it get more power and spin more. Or could that still not help? I guess the outside wheel has more traction during a turn no matter how good a suspension you have, and so if that wheel is given more power, that would still make the car try to turn the other way.

And on top of that, there's the ever-present torque steer. How come there can't be a RWD max?
I have a different take on this; in terms of straight line torque, the 3.5 is reaching the limits for FWD too. For example, now that it's cold in Houston (so no A/C, and nice cold air for the intake), I have to be moving at least 25 mph before flooring it or the tires will spin. From a stop, WOT take a few seconds or you just sit still and spin - both of these being bigger problems for an FWD car, as the weight transfer takes the weight OFF the drive wheels.

So it feels like Nissan has reached the diminishing point of return with additional power - if the car made another 20 ft/lbs of torque, then what? Can't punch it until 30 mph?

Now - if Nissan decided to actually DELIVER on the HP rating, so the car pulled harder until redline - that would be okay
Old 12-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What's the Target Market?

I'm ambivalent about the new look because I don't understand who it is that Nissan is trying to market the 6th Gen to? They've moved it upmarket from the 5th Gen, so that fewer previous Max owners are likely to be able to afford it, or even recognize it. It remains FWD, as evidenced by its cab-forward stance, so that it really doesn't hit the sweet spot for those who prefer sports-car like handling in a sedan, i.e., a G35. The design, both inside and out, is too avant-garde to draw sales away from the Avalon/Park Avenue crowd. However, the design does have presence in the same vein as the Banglerized BMW 740.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:58 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by RainMeister
I'm ambivalent about the new look because I don't understand who it is that Nissan is trying to market the 6th Gen to? They've moved it upmarket from the 5th Gen, so that fewer previous Max owners are likely to be able to afford it, or even recognize it. It remains FWD, as evidenced by its cab-forward stance, so that it really doesn't hit the sweet spot for those who prefer sports-car like handling in a sedan, i.e., a G35. The design, both inside and out, is too avant-garde to draw sales away from the Avalon/Park Avenue crowd. However, the design does have presence in the same vein as the Banglerized BMW 740.
The Banglerization reaches beyond the 740 but that's another topic. Substitute Bonneville for Park Avenue and you'll be getting closer to the target market.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:23 PM

Nissan said they did this on purpose, to make the 5th gen revision front end resemble the GT-R....
Old 01-01-2004, 11:42 PM

by far the best looking max ever !!!
Old 01-02-2004, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Linh
by far the best looking max ever !!!
Bah...what do you know
Old 01-03-2004, 10:15 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

I think the 6th gen looks good. It looks even better lowered with a custom grill.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Banned

what is the diff in the 350 engine vs max engine that gives it 287 Hp?
Hey, Oxidizer2k, didn't see anyone respond to your question above, but I will. Pretty much Nissan uses its award-winning VQ35 engine on a lot of its platforms (I35, G35s/c, MAX, 350Z, Altima, etc...). The difference in horses is what's simply called air restriction (or choking the hell out of your car). The engines used on the various platforms are pretty much the same, but are "tuned" for more power output by the way the air intake/outtake (exhaust)/etc... is configured for a specific model. Also, I think maybe the tranny may be tweaked a little for each car as well. Gear ratios are probably "tighter" on say maybe a 6MT 350Z as compared to the way it's tuned for a 6MT MAX (just a guess on the tranny though). But all-in-all, the horsepower number games that the company plays all points to one common factor--airflow. Hope that helps!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
I think the 6th gen looks good. It looks even better lowered with a custom grill.
TRUE!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
Couldnt agree with you more.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima