6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Baby-girl won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Baby-girl won't start

Jumped in my car an hour ago ago and it wouldn't start. No previous difficulties starting. Waited 20 minutes, pressed accelerator to floor and held it down--same result. Not even a single cylinder fired even once. The car is only 6 weeks old with 1700 miles on it. Half full of high-test, and is garaged when not in use. Anybody else had this problem? Does the factory warranty include roadside assistance, or do I have to have her towed to the dealership?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:07 PM

Well, I had a similar problem. Let me discribe everything I went through and you can see if your problem falls under the same category.

Drove my car 1200 miles to San Diego (Carlsbad actually), no problems. (Had about 2000 miles max at the time I arrived) Was going to head to L.A. to spend the night and visit Disney Land. In the morning the car wouldn't start. When I turned the key on, everything worked, when I turned it to Crank, everything shut off, and it wouldn't even try to crank. About an Hour later, it started fine. No problems for the next week.

I then was going to drive the car about a block from my brothers house to my sisters house. Car wouldn't start, it started 20 minutes later and the SES light was on. Called Mossy Nissan, had an appoint set up, I was planning on leaving the day that they had an opening. Well, the car was fine untill that morning, then it would not start at all. Had it flat-beded to Mossy Nissan. It started fine for them. (son of a *****!) They did one mean car wash, and gave me the car back, plus picked up the towing cost. (nissan won't pay unless they find a problem)

Well, I decided to leave the next morning. The car started fine when I moved it to load the luggage. Of course it didn't want to start after that. My dad ****ed with, my mom looked at it. Nothing! Then I sat in the seat, my dad wanted to check the battery cables, so he popped the hood, I was at the same time, turning the key to crank. It started as soon as he popped the hood. WTF???

The SES was on again, so I hoped in the car, and drove over to Mossy Nissan, and had them look at it. This time they figured there was a problem. They were really nice and said they'd do all they could so I could get out of town, even if it meant raping one of the cars on the lot for parts.

So almost 8 hours later, they call, and said they fixed the problem. I go pick up the car and it's golden. Turns out that (I think) C136 was loose. The fuel system circuit connector at the fuse panel.

When I went out to the car, the SES was still on. So the tech came out to clear the code. (which he just forgot to do, it wasn't new) He said he was all over the car trying to figure it out. When he finally found it, the connector had a little piece of plastic in it, making the connector loose as it could not snap together.

Pretty ****ing lame if you ask me. But, hey it was a good reason to stay for a few extra days. Although I had to send my Aunt and Uncle, who followed me in their Altima, home without me, and missed some cool **** in Northern Cali.

I haven't heard of anyone having a no start problem. And from the little that you have said, it sounds somewhat similar.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let me tell you, growing up in San Diego, there's NOOOOO problem with having to spend an extra few days there. Even if it means troubles with the Max, just worry about it while you're sitting with your feet in the sand at Mission Beach, sipping a cool cocktail and watching the people rollerblade by on the boardwalk. In fact, I think I'll fly down there tonight for the weekend! hehe Not driving THIS time, but will be for the Thanksgiving holiday. Can't wait to show off the new car to the fam'!
Old 10-17-2003, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I really like it down there. At first, I kind of thought it was a little too busy, as I am from a small town. But that last time I was down there, I really liked it. I might actually move down there in a year or so. I orginally thought about Seattle, but the traffic is just as bad, and it although I do love the weather there, I think I would be happier with 80 degree days year round. I really like the Carlsbad area, it's really my kind of place, a laid back hippy surfer town. La Jolla was cool, maybe when I win the Mega Millions, I'll buy a house there. I'll be flying down for a couple weeks during Christmas, and I can't stop thinking about it, even now.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Carlsbad is nice, i grew up right next to there (Encinitas), and that whole area, from Del Mar up to Carlsbad is one solid beach town, I love that area. The city is big, downtown is the greatest (Gaslamp Quarter), and traffic is bad and getting worse, but its still not as bad as LA, and yes, the climate is much more stable than Seattle, there's really only one season in SD, "nice".
Old 10-17-2003, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Redsand187
Well, I had a similar problem. Let me discribe everything I went through and you can see if your problem falls under the same category.

Drove my car 1200 miles to San Diego (Carlsbad actually), no problems. (Had about 2000 miles max at the time I arrived) Was going to head to L.A. to spend the night and visit Disney Land. In the morning the car wouldn't start. When I turned the key on, everything worked, when I turned it to Crank, everything shut off, and it wouldn't even try to crank. About an Hour later, it started fine. No problems for the next week.

I then was going to drive the car about a block from my brothers house to my sisters house. Car wouldn't start, it started 20 minutes later and the SES light was on. Called Mossy Nissan, had an appoint set up, I was planning on leaving the day that they had an opening. Well, the car was fine untill that morning, then it would not start at all. Had it flat-beded to Mossy Nissan. It started fine for them. (son of a *****!) They did one mean car wash, and gave me the car back, plus picked up the towing cost. (nissan won't pay unless they find a problem)

Well, I decided to leave the next morning. The car started fine when I moved it to load the luggage. Of course it didn't want to start after that. My dad ****ed with, my mom looked at it. Nothing! Then I sat in the seat, my dad wanted to check the battery cables, so he popped the hood, I was at the same time, turning the key to crank. It started as soon as he popped the hood. WTF???

The SES was on again, so I hoped in the car, and drove over to Mossy Nissan, and had them look at it. This time they figured there was a problem. They were really nice and said they'd do all they could so I could get out of town, even if it meant raping one of the cars on the lot for parts.

So almost 8 hours later, they call, and said they fixed the problem. I go pick up the car and it's golden. Turns out that (I think) C136 was loose. The fuel system circuit connector at the fuse panel.

When I went out to the car, the SES was still on. So the tech came out to clear the code. (which he just forgot to do, it wasn't new) He said he was all over the car trying to figure it out. When he finally found it, the connector had a little piece of plastic in it, making the connector loose as it could not snap together.

Pretty ****ing lame if you ask me. But, hey it was a good reason to stay for a few extra days. Although I had to send my Aunt and Uncle, who followed me in their Altima, home without me, and missed some cool **** in Northern Cali.

I haven't heard of anyone having a no start problem. And from the little that you have said, it sounds somewhat similar.

Where is the fuse box that was your problem?
Old 10-17-2003, 06:38 PM

I believe was under the dash on the drivers side kick panel area. I never really looked.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:51 AM

Followup #1

Originally Posted by Redsand187
I believe was under the dash on the drivers side kick panel area. I never really looked.

Towed to dealer this AM. Their best tech couldn't figure it out, so have to wait until Monday when they can call a Nissan tech rep. The service rep (who is honest) said, "I've never seen this problem before."
Old 10-18-2003, 09:44 AM

There is a NTB03031 concerning the ignition key xponder failure which will not allow the car to start. Old style key has blue chip in key, newer, better key has black chip. Could this be UR problem??? Just a thought...
Old 10-18-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Memphoman
There is a NTB03031 concerning the ignition key xponder failure which will not allow the car to start. Old style key has blue chip in key, newer, better key has black chip. Could this be UR problem??? Just a thought...

I'll run that by them Monday--thanks to you and others for thoughts.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:06 PM

I had the same problem with my previous car I had and it turned out to be that the car wouldn't start cause of the theft detterent system. The system thought that the key wasn't the right key and it disable the car for like 20 mins. Do you have another key to try?
Old 10-18-2003, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by imxelite
I had the same problem with my previous car I had and it turned out to be that the car wouldn't start cause of the theft detterent system. The system thought that the key wasn't the right key and it disable the car for like 20 mins. Do you have another key to try?

Yeah, I thought of that and tried the spare. No luck.
Watched the Nissan tech plug into the car's computer under the dashboard but couldn't find anything out of specs. A real puzzle!
Old 10-18-2003, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
Jumped in my car an hour ago ago and it wouldn't start. No previous difficulties starting. Waited 20 minutes, pressed accelerator to floor and held it down--same result. Not even a single cylinder fired even once. The car is only 6 weeks old with 1700 miles on it. Half full of high-test, and is garaged when not in use. Anybody else had this problem? Does the factory warranty include roadside assistance, or do I have to have her towed to the dealership?
I don't know if this TSB applies but you can print it out and bring it to the dealer.

http://home.villagephotos.com/2003-6...n/NTB03031.pdf
Old 10-18-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kronnman
I don't know if this TSB applies but you can print it out and bring it to the dealer.

http://home.villagephotos.com/2003-6...n/NTB03031.pdf

Thanks--I'll mention it to them.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:38 PM

Well, brothers and sisters, after the dealer fooled (great word) around with my car it's running again, but despite several phone calls to technical assistance today, they have absolutely no idea what kept it from starting Firday night and most of the day Saturday. Plan: I take it home and wait for it to happen again. I can tell you that until this is solved once and for all, I will not be taking any long drives away from home!
Old 10-25-2003, 08:18 PM

Well, brothers and sisters, after the dealer fooled (great word) around with my car it's running again, but despite several phone calls to technical assistance today, they have absolutely no idea what kept it from starting Firday night and most of the day Saturday. Plan: I take it home and wait for it to happen again. I can tell you that until this is solved once and for all, I will not be taking any long drives away from home!
Watch the security light at the top center of the dash if it happens again. If it is glowing "solid" (not blinking) when you're trying to start the car, then it thinks you're a car thief and it isn't letting you start it. That (probably) means it's either a key chip problem or an intermittent circuit problem with the anti-theft system that makes it "forget" the key is okay for brief periods.

Mike
Old 10-26-2003, 10:37 AM

Thanks, Mike--I'll watch for that. I did try the spare key and it didn't help.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:28 PM

Question

Was the car cranking at all, or just a click at the turn of the key?
Old 10-31-2003, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by hives99gle
Was the car cranking at all, or just a click at the turn of the key?
Cranking normally.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:25 PM

Hmmmm..... I just caught the tail end of an announcement on radio today that Nissan will be issuing a giant recall of many models due to a faulty sensor which could prevent the car from starting!... I heard many models mentioned, but not the Max.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:33 PM

Interesting
Originally Posted by MAXSE-RIOUS
Hmmmm..... I just caught the tail end of an announcement on radio today that Nissan will be issuing a giant recall of many models due to a faulty sensor which could prevent the car from starting!... I heard many models mentioned, but not the Max.
Verrry interesting...