6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:19 PM

Maxima purchase

To all who purchased a 6gen Maxima. Have you considered G35, and if yes, why did you go with MAX? I am trying to decide which way to go, just want to hear your thoughts.
Thansks

PS. To moderators: this is not meant to be a comparrison.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:43 PM

I considered both... The G35 styling just didn't do anything for me. Not to mention the annoying seat controls... ugh.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04EliteSE
I considered both... The G35 styling just didn't do anything for me. Not to mention the annoying seat controls... ugh.
I'll tell you that I loved the G35 @ first and was highly disappointed when I saw the first pics of the 6th gen MAX. But it's soooo true what they say about pictures not doing justice for things until you see them in person. When I first sat in my MAX rental back in Sep 03, I instantly fell in love. The car was amazing...well built, smartly configured, and rounded out w/ awesome power delivery from the engine! It was all over from that point on. I've been a die hard MAX enthusiast since the days of the old "box" body style, so it's quite natural that I've found my way back into the MAX once again!

For me, I have 3 boys, so I need the room, which the MAX has over the G. I look for a complete pkg in a car before deciding on whether it's a good buy or not. For me, the G is nice and all, but not the complete car that the MAX is, thus my decision to buy a MAX--and for $thousands$ less! To tell you the truth, I really didn't consider the G @ all. G is over-priced (but not over-rated) for equal offering from the MAX. I think you're really paying more for the Infiniti name and quality "red carpet" service/perks that they offer. Honestly, for me, the MAX was the ONLY sedan I even considered...especially when I asked my wife, SUV or minivan? Her reply: "MAX!"... lol
Old 01-26-2004, 08:03 AM
*moderator*

I thought I wanted the G until I drove and basically sat in the max, It's much bigger overall and just nice. The only reservation that I had was the FWD deal but after the test drive I was sold. I also agree with all that hofb99 said above...go Max!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I thought I wanted the G until I drove and basically sat in the max, It's much bigger overall and just nice. The only reservation that I had was the FWD deal but after the test drive I was sold. I also agree with all that hofb99 said above...go Max!!!
---> I think the same is happening to me. I drove 45miles to the nearest Inifiniti dealer to test drive a G35 4dr 6speed, and I was really disappointed in the clutch. The engage point was really high up and you had to push it all the way down to shift.
Then I went to drive a max (3mi away ) and clutch/manual shift was totally different and much smoother. Granted Max feels (and is)bigger, the ride was nicer and quality was there. The only "issue" I have with Max is the oragne display, if you don't get NAV. And if you get NAV =6speed, you have to get 2+2 Elite pakage.
By the way, are you getting 20/29 MPG as advertised with 6sp?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:58 AM

G is faster, smaller, more expensive.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:48 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by schernov
---> I think the same is happening to me. I drove 45miles to the nearest Inifiniti dealer to test drive a G35 4dr 6speed, and I was really disappointed in the clutch. The engage point was really high up and you had to push it all the way down to shift.
Then I went to drive a max (3mi away ) and clutch/manual shift was totally different and much smoother. Granted Max feels (and is)bigger, the ride was nicer and quality was there. The only "issue" I have with Max is the oragne display, if you don't get NAV. And if you get NAV =6speed, you have to get 2+2 Elite pakage.
By the way, are you getting 20/29 MPG as advertised with 6sp?
I have the SE (auto) but I'm definitely not getting the mileage listed. I've been driving the crap out of it so... I like the size of the Max better for sure, just feels more solid.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:46 AM

I'm like some of the others, except that I actually intended to buy a G35 sedan. I got one on a day-long test drive and gradually lost my enthusiasm for it. It was hard to drive fast and smoothly because the auto trans wanted to downshift 2 cogs when I just wanted a squirt of power to get up on a freeway or pass someone ... made me look like I was trying to be a boy racer or something. Don't get me wrong - I love lots of power, but that thing was too nervous and jerky. In fact, it reminded me of 4-cylinder rental cars I've had, where the engine has to be frantic to get the job done.

The Maxima, on the other hand, downshifts and performs in general more like a V8. Nudge the pedal and it slips down a gear and powers away quickly and smoothly wthout all that unnecessary drama.

Like others have noted, the Maxima is also a lot larger and roomier inside than the G (or at least seems to be), while still being a good size for parking, maneuvering in traffic, etc. Comfort and handling are very good, and IMO on a par with the G. The only exception is the front wheel drive, which gives the G a small advantage in certain specific areas.

In terms of content, I was disappointed to see the G didn't have a lot of things I consider almost mandatory ... telescoping steering wheel, trip computer (unless you get the $5,000 pkg with the NAV) and so on ... and didn't have some of the goodies the Max offers at a low price, like heated steering wheel, heated seats, etc.

Last but certainly not least is that the Infiniti dealer had no problem asking for list price (fat chance), while the Nissan guys cut me a good deal with little struggle. The bottom line was that I could pay about $5,000 more for a G35 and get less in terms of equipment ... not much of a decision for me!

Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
In terms of content, I was disappointed to see the G didn't have a lot of things I consider almost mandatory ... telescoping steering wheel, trip computer (unless you get the $5,000 pkg with the NAV) and so on ... and didn't have some of the goodies the Max offers at a low price, like heated steering wheel, heated seats, etc.

Last but certainly not least is that the Infiniti dealer had no problem asking for list price (fat chance), while the Nissan guys cut me a good deal with little struggle. The bottom line was that I could pay about $5,000 more for a G35 and get less in terms of equipment ... not much of a decision for me!

Mike
I totally agree. I test drove one, thinking it was what I wanted. But when I got out I knew it wasn't the car for me. If I wanted a car that size, I would definitely go for a 3 series over the G. The ergonomics of the car were definately an after thought, and the lack of power tilt and telescope has me baffled.

I test drove a Z roadster a few weeks ago before buying a 2003 Thunderbird for my wife, and the Z has the same ergonomic issues as the G (which makes sense), just not worth the extra $$ for all the convenience you give up.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:39 AM
andymax95

Cause of all the snow, I would want the G cause it's rwd and rwd + snow +blunt = good time

Old 01-30-2004, 11:09 PM

andy -LOL! Fun in the snow!

But those living in the snowbelt that actually want to GET somewhere need to forget the G35. RWD cars are very poor in the snow. Most of the weight is at the front end of the car, so FWD (i.e. the Maxima) does much better in snow.

Those who felt the Max had more room inside are perceptive. The Maxima is slightly larger on most interior dimensions by actual measurement (Consumer Reports and others).

The G35 is only comparable with the Maxima if one is paying the MSRP (why would one do that?). Even then, the Max has more things standard than the G35.

Both are great cars, and I understand why some folks might lean to the G35 styling. But the Maxima is the better deal.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:53 PM

I seriously considered both and had a pretty tough time deciding, but went with the Max because:

1. Front wheel drive (lots of snow where I live)
2. NVH was much better in the Max than the G...ride was also more forgiving
3. Roomier interior (the G isn't bad, but it is classified as a compact)
4. This is subjective, but I felt the styling of the Max was much more distinctive (except for the grill) and had much more "presence" on the road.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:13 PM

Went to look @ a 04' max today...

I went to look @ an 04 max today, damn... I love it... I want it NOW... But, I must wait a few months to save up a little more cash before I can get a car like this, and it will also be my first NEW car... I have had a 89 and a 95 max (95 is current) so it only makes sence to me to get another one :-) I am going to get it bare bones as I plan on changing most of what the packages do for the car :-) (Radio and the like) I am very excited to get the car, and I hope it goes through as planned :-)
Old 01-31-2004, 09:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by schernov
To all who purchased a 6gen Maxima. Have you considered G35, and if yes, why did you go with MAX? I am trying to decide which way to go, just want to hear your thoughts.
Thansks

PS. To moderators: this is not meant to be a comparrison.
Get the G35....Looks better...has a better interior. I hate the 2004 maxima guages. BTW. get the AWD G35X.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
... get the AWD G35X.
I would jump on G35X any day, BUT they don't make them in manual shift. I talked to an Infinity rep at Detroit Auto show and he said that they can easily do it, but will not as they align themselves against BMW 330XI, and BMW does not sell many 330XI in stick...... So spread the word to people to go buy 330XI, so we can get a G35 6 speed
Old 02-01-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Get the G35....Looks better...has a better interior. I hate the 2004 maxima guages. BTW. get the AWD G35X.

There is nothing wrong with the 04 interior or gauges. I find the quality of materials on par with my 00 GLE. I think the G35 looks like a 1971 Chevy Vega from the front.

I think you would be very happy with the 04 Max. Very roomy. Handles and rides better than the 5th gen. Quieter too.