6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Can alarm be modified?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can alarm be modified?

On my other cars, the alarm locks and unlocks the doors when you turn the car on/shut the car off. Is there anyway to modify the existing alarm to do that? Also, can this fob be used with remote start?

Thanks,

Les
Old 02-18-2004, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by LJorges
On my other cars, the alarm locks and unlocks the doors when you turn the car on/shut the car off. Is there anyway to modify the existing alarm to do that? Also, can this fob be used with remote start?

Thanks,

Les

Not exactly sure what your asking but, you can use the factory key fob to activate a remote start. The range will be limited to the range of the factory remote, most aftermarket remotes have better range.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by LJorges

Thanks,

Les

If you have a navigation system go to system settings and I think there is an option to enable or disable that feature. Will double check when I go out for lunch.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle
If you have a navigation system go to system settings and I think there is an option to enable or disable that feature. Will double check when I go out for lunch.
Have you, or anyone else, looked into how to auto lock the doors? It's not a big deal to hit the lock button, but I seem to forget it more often than I remember it. It should be a safety feature to auto lock the doors when the car reaches a certain speed.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by VASilverMax
Have you, or anyone else, looked into how to auto lock the doors? It's not a big deal to hit the lock button, but I seem to forget it more often than I remember it. It should be a safety feature to auto lock the doors when the car reaches a certain speed.
Don't know how/why Nissan missed this feature, but it's not on the Max. Every other vehicle I've owned for the past 5-7 years has come with this as a factory feature. I fixed it on my Max by installing a Clifford RSX 3.5 remote start/alarm. An AWESOME unit that will handle the auto door lock/unlock for you as well. I can also remote down OR up the windows, as well as all the original features of the factory fob (trunk release, panic, etc). I'm adding an expasion module so I will be able to fold the mirrors, open the sunroof AND pop the gas hatch all from the remote. I may never have to get in the car again. LOL!
Old 03-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max Cat
Don't know how/why Nissan missed this feature, but it's not on the Max. Every other vehicle I've owned for the past 5-7 years has come with this as a factory feature. I fixed it on my Max by installing a Clifford RSX 3.5 remote start/alarm. An AWESOME unit that will handle the auto door lock/unlock for you as well. I can also remote down OR up the windows, as well as all the original features of the factory fob (trunk release, panic, etc). I'm adding an expasion module so I will be able to fold the mirrors, open the sunroof AND pop the gas hatch all from the remote. I may never have to get in the car again. LOL!
Where did you get your Clifford installed at? I purchased this same alarm from Best Buy but I am not sure that I want them working on my car. Also how much did you pay to have it installed?
Old 03-07-2004, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jason9869
Where did you get your Clifford installed at? I purchased this same alarm from Best Buy but I am not sure that I want them working on my car. Also how much did you pay to have it installed?

Well, believe it or not, I bought the 3.5 BECAUSE of a guy at BB. I was REAL hesitant to let anyone cut any wires on my new baby of 2 weeks that I had to wait 3 months for a factory order to get. BUT, I was researching alarms and came upon sounddomain.com. There, on their alarm form, I lucked into one of their administrators (IamMurph) who seemed to be answering everyones tech questions and giving very good, solid advice to folks. After a few PM's, I learned that he has been with them for a number of years, is their lead installer/supervisor at their location, and (this is important) is MECP 1st class certified. The guys that are "basic" certified are usually less than one year on the job. He also happened to be only 70 miles from me. I asked him a few questions, and he was very confident in his answers. I didn't get that at all at my local BB. They kinda acted like "we can probably figure it out" and "we're not sure which key module you need until we get in there". Murph knew exactly what I needed, had it all set aside for my appointment, and did an install that I couldn't be happier with. You literally can't tell he was in there. He hid all the components very well, soldered all connections, and loomed everything so you can't distinguish his stuff from factory harnesses. He took his time, and spent 9 full hours on my car.

Now, since you're not in TX, you can either ship me your Max, OR hop on over to sounddomain.com and PM Murph. Tell him I sent you, and ask him if he happens to know any install supervisors at BB in your area. If not, your best bet is to go in and meet the supervisors. Make sure that you can request that they work on your car exclusively, and not palm part of it off to the 18yo "basic". If you get any bad vibes or attitude, I'd move on to the next BB. The one good thing about BB is that they have lifetime warranty on both the alarm and the install. I'm sure you already know that the lifetime DEI warranty is no good unless a DEI dealer installs it. Also, just an FYI- BB just dropped Clifford to start carrying Viper. It's the same DEI stuff, just differently branded.

My unit, including the alarm, battery backup ($40), internal piezo ($15), extra relays for windows, trunk and other features ($45), 555u bypass for passkey system ($40), and install was right around $675 plus tax.

Good luck! You'll enjoy the system a lot once it' in.

PS- Swap out the factory red "security" LED for a nice blue DEI one when they install you. Gives a nice clean look but is VERY cool looking!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max Cat
Well, believe it or not, I bought the 3.5 BECAUSE of a guy at BB. I was REAL hesitant to let anyone cut any wires on my new baby of 2 weeks that I had to wait 3 months for a factory order to get. BUT, I was researching alarms and came upon sounddomain.com. There, on their alarm form, I lucked into one of their administrators (IamMurph) who seemed to be answering everyones tech questions and giving very good, solid advice to folks. After a few PM's, I learned that he has been with them for a number of years, is their lead installer/supervisor at their location, and (this is important) is MECP 1st class certified. The guys that are "basic" certified are usually less than one year on the job. He also happened to be only 70 miles from me. I asked him a few questions, and he was very confident in his answers. I didn't get that at all at my local BB. They kinda acted like "we can probably figure it out" and "we're not sure which key module you need until we get in there". Murph knew exactly what I needed, had it all set aside for my appointment, and did an install that I couldn't be happier with. You literally can't tell he was in there. He hid all the components very well, soldered all connections, and loomed everything so you can't distinguish his stuff from factory harnesses. He took his time, and spent 9 full hours on my car.

Now, since you're not in TX, you can either ship me your Max, OR hop on over to sounddomain.com and PM Murph. Tell him I sent you, and ask him if he happens to know any install supervisors at BB in your area. If not, your best bet is to go in and meet the supervisors. Make sure that you can request that they work on your car exclusively, and not palm part of it off to the 18yo "basic". If you get any bad vibes or attitude, I'd move on to the next BB. The one good thing about BB is that they have lifetime warranty on both the alarm and the install. I'm sure you already know that the lifetime DEI warranty is no good unless a DEI dealer installs it. Also, just an FYI- BB just dropped Clifford to start carrying Viper. It's the same DEI stuff, just differently branded.

My unit, including the alarm, battery backup ($40), internal piezo ($15), extra relays for windows, trunk and other features ($45), 555u bypass for passkey system ($40), and install was right around $675 plus tax.

Good luck! You'll enjoy the system a lot once it' in.

PS- Swap out the factory red "security" LED for a nice blue DEI one when they install you. Gives a nice clean look but is VERY cool looking!
Alright thanks alot for the info. Looks like I have some research to do to keep me busy for a while. I'll see what I come accross with, thanks again for the info.