6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Dealer Quote

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:24 PM

Dealer Quote

Hey, all! I haven't been posting in a while. I've been working 13/7. Anyways, I decided that it's time to get rid of my 97 maxima and get into an 04 maxima. I selected a SE auto with the DPP, Premium Audio Package, guards and floor mats. MSRP: 31,420...Invoice: 28,574...Selling Price: 29074. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Can I do better? Smoke exterior with Frost Leather interior. What do all of you really think? Thanks in advance!

-Matt
Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximamoose
Hey, all! I haven't been posting in a while. I've been working 13/7. Anyways, I decided that it's time to get rid of my 97 maxima and get into an 04 maxima. I selected a SE auto with the DPP, Premium Audio Package, guards and floor mats. MSRP: 31,420...Invoice: 28,574...Selling Price: 29074. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Can I do better? Smoke exterior with Frost Leather interior. What do all of you really think? Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Offer them invoice. They should take it; they'll still going to make 3 percent of list as dealer hold-back.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Banned

Hey, if invoice is $28,574 w/ all those goodies and they're asking $29,074, then I'd say you're doing pretty darn good. You're already @ $500 over invoice, but I might add that the fleet dept can usually do better than that. I've seen as low as $100 over invoice. I got mine for about $350 over invoice thru the fleet/internet dept. They don't haggle. They give you a certain amount right off the top w/o you having to bargain the price down. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Hey, if invoice is $28,574 w/ all those goodies and they're asking $29,074, then I'd say you're doing pretty darn good. You're already @ $500 over invoice, but I might add that the fleet dept can usually do better than that. I've seen as low as $100 over invoice. I got mine for about $350 over invoice thru the fleet/internet dept. They don't haggle. They give you a certain amount right off the top w/o you having to bargain the price down. Good Luck!!!
Ya know.... I dealt with the Fleet Manager too and had a similar experience. Actually, what I always do when buying is fax a list of exactly what I want, the invoice prices, and my offer of $100-$500 over invoice, depending on what I'm buying and how hot it is. I fax it to the attention of the Fleet Manager at 6-8 close dealerships with my return fax number, and no return voice number so they can't bother me. I give them a deadline of 24-48 hours and tell them that the first approved, signed deal sheet that I receive will earn my business. This has worked very well for me with absolutely no haggle/hassle/back and forth.

It did occur to me the other day though....... exactly WHY would a Nissan dealership actually NEED a "Fleet Sales Manager"????? I mean, do companies routinely purchase fleets of Z cars or something? Most domestic brands have a true commercial fleet customer base. I'd think that would be limited at best for Nissan. I think that each dealership has one guy who carries the title "Fleet Manager" just so they have one guy that doesn't BS and who deals with the customers who know what they're doing so they don't lose that type of customer. I've seen my "fleet" guy doing regular retail sales, test drives, etc. on visits to the dealership. I smell conspiracy!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. When I requested a quote, I didn't even go inside to have "the talk". My salesperson, Wayne, said right off the bat that he would knock 2500 off the MSRP. I know that you shouldn't deal with MSRP. I had to leave, so when I called him back, he ran off the prices and said just add 500 to the Invoice of 28574, and that's what he would sell for. I'll try for lower when I go in for "the talk"
Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 PM

$500 over invoice might be beaten by persistence, determination, and playing dealer against dealer. But it won't be beaten by very much on the car you have chosen, as they know they will have no trouble selling that very desirable configuration/color combo.

If I were 'settling' for a car other than exactly what I wanted, I would squeeze the last penny from their starving baby's mouth. But if this is exactly the car you want, be willing to 'pay the piper' and lock in the deal before someone else beats you to it.

For this car, $500 over invoice is a fine deal. $400 over would be a great deal. $300 over would probably bring the police to the lot ('officer, this person is stealing our very best car').

Enjoy!
Old 04-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like you got a good deal on the price, now it's time to have fun with the f&i person, that is if you're planning on financing the car and you haven't taken care of it, (the financing), already. Unless they offer you 0% financing look "perturbed to say the least" and let them keep dropping the rate.
My bank offered me 5.35% and when Nissan didn't I looked "perturbed to say the least" and I proceeded to "perturb" 'em down to 1.9%. (They were beginning to give ME that look)

By the way, the dealership got all excellents on the surveys I sent in!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would say $500 over invoice is way too high considering the fact that 2005 would be available, just couple of months from today. Anything between invoice to $200 over is acceptable.

Or else just walk away, they would call you back for sure.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:56 AM

Just got a quote for an 04 6 spd smoke w/frost leather interior for invoice...free location fee. Still up in the air
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Max Cat
Ya know.... I dealt with the Fleet Manager too and had a similar experience. Actually, what I always do when buying is fax a list of exactly what I want, the invoice prices, and my offer of $100-$500 over invoice, depending on what I'm buying and how hot it is. I fax it to the attention of the Fleet Manager at 6-8 close dealerships with my return fax number, and no return voice number so they can't bother me. I give them a deadline of 24-48 hours and tell them that the first approved, signed deal sheet that I receive will earn my business. This has worked very well for me with absolutely no haggle/hassle/back and forth.

It did occur to me the other day though....... exactly WHY would a Nissan dealership actually NEED a "Fleet Sales Manager"????? I mean, do companies routinely purchase fleets of Z cars or something? Most domestic brands have a true commercial fleet customer base. I'd think that would be limited at best for Nissan. I think that each dealership has one guy who carries the title "Fleet Manager" just so they have one guy that doesn't BS and who deals with the customers who know what they're doing so they don't lose that type of customer. I've seen my "fleet" guy doing regular retail sales, test drives, etc. on visits to the dealership. I smell conspiracy!
You know, Max Cat, you're on track w/ your assumption of the "Fleet Manager" being that "no BS" (so-to-speak) dealer liaison for customers who know exactly what they want and don't desire the haggling and dog & pony show just to get a sell... That's exactly how it was explained to me, was that the Fleet Manager was there for the consumer who knows exactly what they're looking for and doesn't want the hassle of wheeling/dealing negotiations w/ a floor salesperson. So those of you who know what the MAX has to offer and you know exactly what pkgs and options you want, I suggest you deal directly w/ the Fleet dept...makes car buying that much less of a taxing experience on one's soul... I believe I had my deal on paper in about 2 hours...
Old 04-30-2004, 06:36 PM

Well, I bought my Maxima today and I pick it up tomorrow. I got the one that I described at the top of this post. I got it for 28,774. The guy said 1% over invoice to which i spit back the total. He looked at me and just said "just make it 200". All I can say is that the deal was one of the most pleasant experiences with anything that I have had in a while. O'Neil Nissan in Warminster, PA is definitely an honest and very reasonable dealer.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:41 PM

Bought mine for invoice, 5 months ago, and they had to go 3 hours away to pick it up for me. Needless to say I was very pleased. You guys need to take more time and bid the dealers against each other... Patience is a virtue my son.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:37 PM

I would try for below invoice and work your way up to invoice. Think to yourself how long it takes you to make the difference in business, if it is a week, spend 20 hours (well, if it is a week, you may want to look at a cheaper car). If it is a day, spend 4 hours, etc. Time is money, but a penny saved is a penny earned.

Someone wants your business at your price, you just have to spend a few days finding him.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:03 PM

Guys, you should be dealing to get the car at invoice or below. In joliet, IL (An hour south of chicago) I got mine for a few hundred below invoice and they are doing these deals alot on the Maximas from what I hear. Just my 2 cents..
Old 05-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

kosd is right!

Bought mine last week in the Chicago area also. E-mailed the price to the Internet sales guy and started really low. Sliver Max had VDC, moon roof, DPP listed at 33,200. Started at 29,000. They replied no and I replied 29,500 and I will be there in 2 hours. He agreed! Done deal. Under invoice. I think invoice was about 31,000.