6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

injen intake for max....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 08:36 AM

injen intake for max....

stillen intake cone is in the engine bay........injen intake cone is behind the bumper and closer to the ground....would have to imagine that the intake would suck in alot of road grime as apposed to the stillen....i live in the northeast so the winter months might be a bit of a problem with the injen intake but i really like the injen....what do you guys think and what type of intakes are you using????.....

thanks
Old 05-02-2004, 09:38 AM

I live in South Texas, and when it rains here, it RAINS. The intake I use is from Place Racing and the filter sits in the same location that the filter for the Injen setup would. If I am ever concerned about water I will just remove the lower pipe and put the filter inside the engine compartment, like a short ram. Doesn't hurt anything and it's pretty quick to change. In terms of all around performance I'd go with the CAI.

I see in your sig that you have the GReddy SPII exhaust. How do you like it? Is it loud just driving around town, or do you have to get on it to hear it? I'm not much for loud exhaust systems unless I ask the engine to give it to me by stomping on the accelerator. Otherwise it should just purr.

I'd really like to find a sound clip of the GReddy setup for the '04 Max. If you happen to have one or know of one I'd appreciate it!
Old 05-02-2004, 09:42 AM

i just won a bid on ebay for a stillen intake....will try it and see how it works....might just go with the injen eventually.......

dont have any sound clips....can say that it has a deep growl to it.....it is going to be louder than stock but it is not obnoxious like a civic....the V6 gives it a nice tone.....i was skeptical at first too however i like the sound of it......my cardomain website is in my sig so you can see some pics......the cans are big and noticable from the rear.....had to get use to it but liking it more each day.......hopracing.com is where i got mine....good luck
Old 05-02-2004, 04:11 PM

RayRey21, I just checked out your Cardomain Site and signed in the guest book. Sweet Ride and the greedy exhaust looks great.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Having just installed a JWT Pop-Charger, you will love the sound that kicks in when you rev the motor up. As far as performance, too early to tell, but Butt meter say "Yeah baby".

I too had concerns about the low filter placement of the Injen, that is why I chose JWT. I think the Stillen base is the same as the JWT with a different filter attached. Also make sure you get a bracket with it to mount it to the firewall, mine was missing.

Enjoy.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I too live in the northeast and thought that keeping the filter away from the ground and ice and water would probably be the best idea. I had a Stillen on my 2000 max and went with it again on my my 04 max. The sound is great. In regards tp performance, maybe a little difference. I think overall these sort of upgrades have little effect and are more impressice for the sound. I put the stillen on before I got over the 1500 mile break in, so I never really got on it without the filter. Good lucj with whatever you decide.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:37 PM

well i bit the bullet and got a STILLEN intake for the max and it sounds pretty good....i dont want to screw around with the injen cause of the weather so the simple fix was the STILLEN........was testing it out late tuesday night (11pm) and was pulled over by the POLICE!! cop was cool and said "Been there done that!" let me go with a warning.....tomorrow will open it up alittle more

YEEEEEEEEAH BABY!
Old 05-05-2004, 03:57 AM

The difference is the Stillen takes the air from the engine compartment and not lower down like the Injen?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:22 AM

The difference is the Stillen takes the air from the engine compartment and not lower down like the Injen?
Are you asking if this is the case? If so then yes. I personally like the Cold Air Intakes because the Max engine gets heat soaked pretty quickly and I like to know I'm getting cooler air into the engine. I know there are some pros and cons to both (specifically having to change filter locations during storms.) Also, some people will tell you that a short ram intake, like the Stillen, is better. I guess it depends on preference. I've seen both setups run equally as fast at the track.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrayArea51
Are you asking if this is the case? If so then yes. I personally like the Cold Air Intakes because the Max engine gets heat soaked pretty quickly and I like to know I'm getting cooler air into the engine. I know there are some pros and cons to both (specifically having to change filter locations during storms.) Also, some people will tell you that a short ram intake, like the Stillen, is better. I guess it depends on preference. I've seen both setups run equally as fast at the track.
I agree, I want a working CAI and the Injen seems to fit the bill. The issue is the location of the filter, right? This being the case, Injen also has available the protective shield. What is the story on that?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:25 AM

They have this shield for two reasons. The first is when you're using the Injen intake where the filter resides under the hood. Not all Injen intakes are CAI's so it acts as a heat shield in that case. The second reason is for use as a splash guard when using the Cold Air Intake system where the filter is close to the ground. I suppose it helps block a few of those stray drops when driving in the rain. I use my CAI in the rain all the time without trouble. It's already pretty well protected by the plastic covers in front of the wheel well.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:36 AM

So your Place Racing CAI is somewhere in between? In other words not close to the ground to inhale water but not in the engine compartment either.
I`m just trying to decide which system is the best for my enviornment. Thanx
Old 05-05-2004, 05:44 AM

Well I should probably note that my CAI is a modified Place Racing intake off of my previous '02 Max. I had to cut a bit of the lower pipe for it to fit, but it does fit pretty well. The filter sits in the same location that the Injen setup would. But like I said before, I use mine even in wet conditions without trouble. I do steer clear of standing water on the road during rain storms, but that's it. From time to time I'll remove the lower pipe and put the filter under the hood, just behind the MAF sensor, if I'm really concerned about it. That only takes 10 min. to do.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:21 AM

hey greyarea51 how does your 04 compare with the 02? Does the 04 feel slower or faster? also Anything you like better between the 2 cars. just curious..
Old 05-05-2004, 07:25 AM

I also installed my Injen CAI two months ago after buying it through Group Buy. Not only the CAI is louder, it would take off when you floor the gas pedal and it does not hesitate. I also wash my car almost every week and not afraid to get my filter wet because the filter is hidden in all corners (top, bottom, and side to side).
Old 05-05-2004, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by tko507
I also installed my Injen CAI two months ago after buying it through Group Buy. Not only the CAI is louder, it would take off does when you floor the gas pedal and it does not hesitate. I also wash my car almost every week and not afraid to get my filter wet because the filter is hidden in all corners (top, bottom, and side to side).
Do you use that optional chrome shield that you can buy for the Injen?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:58 AM

Got the Stillen with the Greddy SP II's. LOVE THEM! Sound is very solid / authoritative but not ricey. Had it dynoed a few weeks ago - unfortunately I didn't dyno it before the mods so I don't have a baseline. Techs at the dyno place thought it was probably adding at least another 5 - but no way to no for sure without testing it with no mods first. BTW Injen has a dyno on their website with the CAI on a 04 max. My dyno came in just 1 0r 2hp short of their numbers with the Stillen.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RaTgoesMaX
Do you use that optional chrome shield that you can buy for the Injen?
No, I did not order the shield. As I told before, the filter is hidden/protected from any debries and water unless there is a flood.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tko507
No, I did not order the shield. As I told before, the filter is hidden/protected from any debries and water unless there is a flood.
OK understand. Thanx
Old 05-05-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
hey greyarea51 how does your 04 compare with the 02? Does the 04 feel slower or faster? also Anything you like better between the 2 cars. just curious..
I suppose I could spend a lot of time discussing the differences, but I'll keep it short. In my opinion the '04 is faster (not by much, but still faster.) It was very noticable to me after having driven the '02 for a year and putting quite a few mods into it. I'd say that the '04 is as fast as the '02 after the '02 has been opened up on both ends (intake, exhaust, Y pipe, high-flow cat, etc.) That was what I noticed when I drove the '04 out of the dealership.

Interestingly enough, the power gains from an aftermarket intake for the '04 were nothing compared to the gains from the same intake on the '02. I guess that's due to the re-designed intake and exhaust on the newer Max.

On another note, Nissan really did the new Max justice with the multi-link rear suspension. The single beam on the '02 was something that drove me nuts.

I do miss my '02 though after spending so much time and energy modding it. Too bad there are idiots out there who want to take things from you that you have worked hard to build. (stolen at gunpoint and totaled in Aug. '03)
Old 05-05-2004, 02:32 PM

where did you but the JWT pop-charger and how much did it run? Alternatively where did you buy the stillen intake and how much did it cost?
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which one would you say is easier to install? The Stillen or the Injen, or both abut the same?