6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Getting HID's from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:52 AM

Getting HID's from dealer

Okay, here's the skinny. I bought my 04 Maxima last Saturday with the Drivers Preferred Package which includes the Xenon or HID lights or whatever else they're called. Now, I guess that on my particular car they replaced the HID's with regular Halogen lights and credited the price of the car $150. When I say they I mean the factory not the dealer. Now, I want to try and upgrade to the HID's for the $150 that I was credited. I figure if they only credit $150 than the upgrade should just be $150. Will this work or are they going to pass me the crack pipe and tell me to take another hit?
Old 05-24-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JAANND
Okay, here's the skinny. I bought my 04 Maxima last Saturday with the Drivers Preferred Package which includes the Xenon or HID lights or whatever else they're called. Now, I guess that on my particular car they replaced the HID's with regular Halogen lights and credited the price of the car $150. When I say they I mean the factory not the dealer. Now, I want to try and upgrade to the HID's for the $150 that I was credited. I figure if they only credit $150 than the upgrade should just be $150. Will this work or are they going to pass me the crack pipe and tell me to take another hit?

aaaah....pass the pipe
Old 05-24-2004, 11:40 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they made you pay the 850 per lamp to upgrade. Only taking off 150 sounds odd, being they cost so much more then that. Did they notify you that they were replaced before you purchased it or did you find out later that that was the case
Old 05-24-2004, 11:58 AM

Last time I checked it was about $650/per side. Puff...puff...give...
Old 05-24-2004, 12:10 PM

I"m reading this directly from the window sticker.
DRIVER PREFERRED PACKAGE 3,550
Driver Memory System
Heated Steering Wheel
Electric Folding Outside Mirrors
Driver's Seatw/ 2-Position Memory
Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel w/ Memory
Auto Entry/Exit System
Rear Spoiler
Xenon Headlights
SENSORY PACKAGE AND PREMIUM AUDIO PACKAGE...etc. etc.

Then right after Premium Audio Package it says:
XENON HID DELETE 150.00CR
Replaced with Halogen Headlights

What's up with that? What's the price difference between the Halogen Headlights and the Xenon ones. I would assume that's what the credit would be right?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
Last time I checked it was about $650/per side. Puff...puff...give...
Sorry, 4drsleeper...puff some more, then give... Check any Nissan Svc/Parts Dept...the going price is anywhere from $800 - $900 just for one headlamp, including wiring harness (and that's PARTS ALONE!!!)... My local Parts Dept quoted me $899 per headlight! Needless to say, my jaw just about hit the floor! lol

If you can find them for $650, then that has to be a quote from some aftermarket auto parts distributor or something...but haven't heard of anyone who even has access to HIDs for the 6th Gen as of yet, let alone availability of the rare (OEM) bulb...so where did you get that price from?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:20 PM

Okay, what I wrote up top is what's on the window sticker. So are guys telling me that since I don't have the Xenon headlights that I should have gotten a much bigger credit than $150.00? Is this a typo? Dealers mistake? Do they owe me money or do they owe me Xenon headlights for $150. I'm starting to feel ripped off. Does anyone have any information on this that works for Nissan or anything?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:30 PM

Man your probably outta luck because they are going to claim you saw the Window Sticker and signed the papers as is. Why didnt you ? it then or ask about the HID's etc at purchase time?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by JAANND
I"m reading this directly from the window sticker.
DRIVER PREFERRED PACKAGE 3,550
Driver Memory System
Heated Steering Wheel
Electric Folding Outside Mirrors
Driver's Seatw/ 2-Position Memory
Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel w/ Memory
Auto Entry/Exit System
Rear Spoiler
Xenon Headlights
SENSORY PACKAGE AND PREMIUM AUDIO PACKAGE...etc. etc.

Then right after Premium Audio Package it says:
XENON HID DELETE 150.00CR
Replaced with Halogen Headlights

What's up with that? What's the price difference between the Halogen Headlights and the Xenon ones. I would assume that's what the credit would be right?
That is the correct price, check out the building page on Nissan's website. The option is " Xenon HID Delete -$150".
Old 05-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Man your probably outta luck because they are going to claim you saw the Window Sticker and signed the papers as is. Why didnt you ? it then or ask about the HID's etc at purchase time?
I'd have to fully agree w/ MONTE 01&97 SE... The sticker says it all...you're pretty much stuck w/ what you got, unless you're a fast talker. The dealer will be legally correct in saying that you took delivery of the car as is w/ whatever pkgs/options/service agreements you signed up for. If you recall, one of the papers that you signed pretty much released the dealer of any further obligation or promise to owe you anything additional after you purchase the car and drive it off the lot. That's the legal binding that pretty much says, "you're screwed". So call your sales manager or whoever you bought the car from and see what you can wheel and deal. They have the upper hand pretty much, so don't try and "flex" or throw any legalities @ them...just try and work it out w/ them if you can. Any good business person is more than willing to hear you out if it means you'll promise more business or send more business their way because they treated you right. That's good business for them... But remember that your initial approach will dictate the stance that they will take... Good Luck!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
I'd have to fully agree w/ MONTE 01&97 SE... The sticker says it all...you're pretty much stuck w/ what you got, unless you're a fast talker. The dealer will be legally correct in saying that you took delivery of the car as is w/ whatever pkgs/options/service agreements you signed up for. If you recall, one of the papers that you signed pretty much released the dealer of any further obligation or promise to owe you anything additional after you purchase the car and drive it off the lot. That's the legal binding that pretty much says, "you're screwed". So call your sales manager or whoever you bought the car from and see what you can wheel and deal. They have the upper hand pretty much, so don't try and "flex" or throw any legalities @ them...just try and work it out w/ them if you can. Any good business person is more than willing to hear you out if it means you'll promise more business or send more business their way because they treated you right. That's good business for them... But remember that your initial approach will dictate the stance that they will take... Good Luck!!!
Well said bro!
Old 05-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Banned

maybe...

(price of parts of HID headlight assembly) - (price of parts of halogen headlight
assembly) - (labor charge for installation of halogen headlight) = $150 ?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
maybe...

(price of parts of HID headlight assembly) - (price of parts of halogen headlight
assembly) - (labor charge for installation of halogen headlight) = $150 ?
ahh. dont think so, but they are nice halogens with projectors.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:08 PM

hofb99 has this situation nailed.

The price of such accessories as floor mats, etc, should be the same whether they come with the car and are listed on the sticker, or if you bought them later via the Nissan parts department.

Not so most parts (such as HIDs).

HIDs are VERY expensive to add later to ANY car. The fact only $150 is deleted from the price on the sticker is reflective of only two things: 1 - The labor of installation is the same for both halogen and HID, so only a portion of the true mfg's volume price on the equipment is included in the $150. 2 - Should you start out with nothing and buy every part in order to build a Maxima from scratch, the parts would probably cost you between $150,000 and $250,000. And don't even think about the assembly labor costs!

But when assembled at the factory from a endless supply of parts right at hand, the price of an assembled Maxima is a real bargain.

A very fair comparison would be if you got home and found you had a 4 speed automatic, but wanted a 5 speed, could you switch transmissions for the $300 sticker difference? My best guess would be to add another zero to the $300.

I see about 10% of SLs with the HID deletion. Cars with that delete option are available because HIDs are more of a nuisance to other drivers than a help to the user unless you plan to do significant high speed driving on fairly empty roads.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Sorry, 4drsleeper...puff some more, then give... Check any Nissan Svc/Parts Dept...the going price is anywhere from $800 - $900 just for one headlamp, including wiring harness (and that's PARTS ALONE!!!)... My local Parts Dept quoted me $899 per headlight! Needless to say, my jaw just about hit the floor! lol

If you can find them for $650, then that has to be a quote from some aftermarket auto parts distributor or something...but haven't heard of anyone who even has access to HIDs for the 6th Gen as of yet, let alone availability of the rare (OEM) bulb...so where did you get that price from?

Well, like I said, I was quoted $650.00/per side - that's a total of $1300.00 plus shipping. It was quoted to me from a Nissan dealership out of Texas but I cant remember which dealership it was. Some posted the guys name and phone number back in Sept. of last year and I cant find the old post. Anyway, there's no way in hell I was gonna pay $1300.00 for some HID's. And of course now aftermarket HID's are banned. Oh well, such is life.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:28 AM

Wow, so if I told them I wanted to upgrade to the HID's and pay the $150 and install them myself. Do you think they'll go for that?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:44 AM

I do not think that they will go for it...i called the dealer yesterday and they told me to jsut get an aftermarket kit.....there is no way that i would ever spend $1300 on HIDs...they are not worth it....i can get aftermarket HID kits for this car for $365 though...maybe i will jsut do that....i have one of these kits on my bike...they are really nice...and bright...but who knows....

who said that you cannot get HID kits this car...all you have to do is get the DS2 kit...that is the bulb size that comes stock with the car...