6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Navi.....can you have it put in after the fact?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 06:07 AM

Navi.....can you have it put in after the fact?!?!

I can't help but wonder why I didn't get the Max that had the navigation in it...oh wait it was 4k more for that specific car. Nevermind lol. Keeping the car looking stock, not changing the head unit etc, do you think it's possible? Can I get Nissan To change the car over to navigation from the regular screen? Too much money you think? lol I wonder what my options could be.........thanks!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
I can't help but wonder why I didn't get the Max that had the navigation in it...oh wait it was 4k more for that specific car. Nevermind lol. Keeping the car looking stock, not changing the head unit etc, do you think it's possible? Can I get Nissan To change the car over to navigation from the regular screen? Too much money you think? lol I wonder what my options could be.........thanks!
I've asked the same question to my dealership and theyt said no. In order to that, they have to change things and will cost you a lot of money. why dont you get the after market ones.. Pioneer have a great nav system ?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well you can get it done. All you have to do is go to the dealer and tell them you want it installed. The hard part is saying "No matter what the cost" and sticking to that. Bring a bottle of lube, it'll hurt less when you're bent over the counter with your VISA in hand. Bring a second credit card, you may need it once the first is maxed out.

CM.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Well you can get it done. All you have to do is go to the dealer and tell them you want it installed. The hard part is saying "No matter what the cost" and sticking to that. Bring a bottle of lube, it'll hurt less when you're bent over the counter with your VISA in hand. Bring a second credit card, you may need it once the first is maxed out.

CM.
I wonder if there's a way to get the unit and hook it up to the car after pulling the orange screen... if there's a way to get them without having to go through the dealer, I'm sure it won't be as bad...

In my other car, you could choose to get the OEM navigation unit from the dealer, even after the fact, but they want $2400 for it plus labor. Usually requiring multiple credit cards and a LARGE bottle of lube...

However, there's this dude in Europe that gets the units out there and sells them for $1500. You can get them installed afterwards by someone that knows what they're doing. It's not cheap, but it sure beats the stealership's price.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:37 AM

It is some units out there that will put the factory Nav to shame for alot less, I would go that rte.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
Might be better off to trade up to an '05 with NAV and avoid the hassle of installing it in the car you have - just a thought...
Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
Might be better off to trade up to an '05 with NAV and avoid the hassle of installing it in the car you have - just a thought...
True.

Or put in a dash console for aftermarket radio and get head unit with GPS nav.

Even the Garmin portable GPS (sit on dash and take it with you)
http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail_NM5303.asp]
Old 08-24-2004, 11:18 AM

Yea I thought I would get these answers. I am not willing to trade up for the '05 with Nav though. I bent my dealer over and got my car for a steal. I put down $4k and am financing $21k for an '04 SE w/ leather, sunroof,all power,bose upgrade and HID's....didn't go for the VDC or traction control....should have but didn't. Sticker on my car was like $33k and change. I have though about an after market Nav system but I want to keep the stock look of the dash. I like it too much to hack it up. Plus I am quite happy with the system right now........I dunno. Thanks though for the info.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
Sure... if you don't care about money, I suppose. I got into an '04 3 weeks ago because you get a steal nowadays on those cars. If I were to trade in to get an '05 with navi, I'd be having to put down a few grand for the privilege. No thanks.

Even if you got the wrong end of the stick and ended up paying $30k for a loaded SL sans navi, you're gonna get shafted on the '05s, mostly because those are on the way in, and the dealers have no pressure to move them out like they do the '04s, so you're not gonna get any kind of deals. If the prices on that other thread are to be believed, the '05 SL with navigation wil lbe $33k -- at the very least -- plus delivery. If I want to add to that the options that I have on my car, it's more than that.

If you get 100% back on trade (which you won't) and you want the leather, sunroof, etc that you got on the '04, how much are you looking at then? IMO it's just not worth it considering the very few changes coming to the '05s.