6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Buying 05. Black or Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buying 05. Black or Silver?

I am going to buy a 2k5 in a few days. It will be a 2005 SE with DPP. I was wondering what color looks really good.. Black or Silver? What about the interior, Frost or Black leather? If you could be so kind, please post some pics of your rides exterior and interior.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nothing looks hotter than a nice black car. Nothing looks worse than a nice black car that has been neglected. You have to be prepared to do a lot of work to keep your black paint looking nice. That being said, everyone has to own one black car in their lifetime. Maybe this is your one, before you learn your lesson and move on. lol

Silver is a lot easier to maintain. It is going to be cooler in the summer.

As for interior colours. I might go with the black if I could do it again. I think the frost interior shows dirt too easily.

What about the smoke colour? Are you not digging it? Easier to maintain than black, and looks great too.

CM.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:57 PM

Black on black, or smoke on black. And this comes from a girl.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:04 PM

I personally have a Silver/Black combo. Originally I wanted Black/Black but at the time they didn't have that (at the dealer) with the Elite Package so it was choice 2 for me and I'm actually glad I chose Silver. As someone already mentioned silver is sooooooo much easier to keep up than black, but it's all about personal preference.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:14 PM

There is no question black is the flashiest. It has always been an 'in' color. In fact, when I was a kid (during the great depression), the only two cars in the county were black. That was because no other color car was even manufactured until around 1950.

Silver is sort of on the practical side. But it has been associated with sports cars for decades. It is also a 'discreet' color for those not wanting to draw too much attention.

Having admitted that black is easily the 'hottest' (pun intended) color, I would add that the last black car I ever drove was a Studebaker, and that was way back in 1949. Every time I got in that car, it was too hot to touch. The roof would easily fry eggs, and the black seats were just like stovetops.

In the fifty-five years since, I have never bought a dark colored car, and never will. Just makes no sense as transportation. Black is for 'show', and silver is for 'go'. 'go' in this usage means for use as practical transportation.

I feel just as strongly about the interior color. My fanny gets hot enough on my farm tractor and both my riding mowers (all have black seats). It is so much nicer (espesially in hot weather) to slide onto frost upholstery.

If you lived in Minnesota or Maine, I would say go with the black. But you are in Florida! If you are young and spend lots of time primping your car, go with the black. If, like most folks, you have far too much work backed up to spend time cleaning and washing and waxing, go with the silver. With frost upholstery. So very much more practical.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:26 PM

Okay, since we have a lot of opinions in this thread. I was able to locate the only Smoke colored car in the US with Navi. The only thing i'm not too sure of is the Cafe Latte interior?

Can anyone comment on that color combination? Does anyone have the Cafe Latte interior and can comment on it? Any pics?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mr lightonthehill... Thank you for this very excellent and incitful post. I really enjoyed reading it. And it was very interesting to read about you and when you were a kid. Thank You.

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
There is no question black is the flashiest. It has always been an 'in' color. In fact, when I was a kid (during the great depression), the only two cars in the county were black. That was because no other color car was even manufactured until around 1950.

Silver is sort of on the practical side. But it has been associated with sports cars for decades. It is also a 'discreet' color for those not wanting to draw too much attention.

Having admitted that black is easily the 'hottest' (pun intended) color, I would add that the last black car I ever drove was a Studebaker, and that was way back in 1949. Every time I got in that car, it was too hot to touch. The roof would easily fry eggs, and the black seats were just like stovetops.

In the fifty-five years since, I have never bought a dark colored car, and never will. Just makes no sense as transportation. Black is for 'show', and silver is for 'go'. 'go' in this usage means for use as practical transportation.

I feel just as strongly about the interior color. My fanny gets hot enough on my farm tractor and both my riding mowers (all have black seats). It is so much nicer (espesially in hot weather) to slide onto frost upholstery.

If you lived in Minnesota or Maine, I would say go with the black. But you are in Florida! If you are young and spend lots of time primping your car, go with the black. If, like most folks, you have far too much work backed up to spend time cleaning and washing and waxing, go with the silver. With frost upholstery. So very much more practical.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you everyone for your opinion. I am thinking abuot getting the paint protection also. But I am looking foward to some of your pictures. Thank you again.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:48 PM

MaxMus - The fact your smoke has cafe latte tells me you are looking at an SL (cafe latte is not available on smoke SEs).

Had you been looking at an SE, I would probably have suggested frost (a shade that is in the smoke class of colors).

But for an SL, cafe latte is an excellent color. It is not very dark, which helps with the sun-baked seat problem. It is the true color of leather, which is always in taste. It is a color associated with plushness and comfort; a color associated with nature and 'being natural'. It is the one color that does not necessarily have to 'match artistically' with the exterior color of a car.

The only alternative interior on the smoke SL is black. Many swear by black interiors. Living in hot, humid south Georgia, I swear AT black interiors.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:10 PM

Here's what Caffe latte looks like. I PMed some pics with black leather interior to 2k5Max already, I'll post some more should you want to see them
Old 09-29-2004, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The only alternative interior on the smoke SL is black. Many swear by black interiors. Living in hot, humid south Georgia, I swear AT black interiors.
I enjoy too reading and learning from your posts. You know Maximas better than 99% of the people on this forum!

Have you noticed a trend of black leather interior cars, and especially black on black, keeping their value better than the rest? Even now, I'm looking at some used 2004's and it's full of Coral sand and Champagne mist - colored Maximas that are selling the cheapest. I do believe that a smart color combo has a lot to do with the resale value of that car.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:55 AM

Here is the frost interior - I personally think that even though it is a bit more work to keep clean - I agree with lightonthehill that it is far cooler to get into in the summer, and the interior of the car is brighter and more enjoyable to be in - I have had black interiors in cars, and they have a tendency to show every little bit of dirt / dust - lighter is better...

Old 09-30-2004, 07:49 AM

I love my frost interior. I don't find it difficult to keep clean at all. I had a black interior once and I do mean ONCE. I kept the shop vac within easy reach in the garage.

The smoke color might be a happy medium for you. Kinda somewhere in between the black and silver.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:05 AM

I happen to think that the best color combination is Black exterior w/ Burnt Orange Leather Interior. This combination, however, is only available w/ the Elite package.

I agree with the comments that black is more difficult to keep clean and keep looking good.

As for the heat factor, I have not noticed that the black is any worse than other cars I have owned in the past.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:01 AM

Maximadmoiselle - The ONLY positive I will say about black interiors is (as you suggested) they are very popular, and, in some marketplaces, could bring more as used vehicles.

But if you come to visit me, and we go anywhere together on a sunny day, we will go in MY car, which has frost seats (are winkies allowed here?).
Old 09-30-2004, 11:43 AM

Im gonna have to agree with what everybody else said and tell you that black does look the best. (not trying to be bias either) But Im gonna tell you that you better be ready to clean, clean, clean if your as picky as me. This is the first black car Ive had in the 7 cars that Ive owned and Im gonna tell you that this will be the last black car Ill ever own. Dont get me wrong though, I love the color and I love to keep in shining....in my opinion, you cant go wrong with black on black.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:01 PM

Black. Silver is a color for people who've given up on life.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Black is probably the best looking color when it is clean and I mean clean. It also is the hardest color to keep clean. You can see all the imperfections in the paint if you wax it and leave streaks. If you are the detail maniac and in your twenties then I would go with the black. Grey (smoke grey) like someone else said, is kind of in between and looks outstanding. I personnally would want a car that would look great without having to wash it once a day because it showed dirt. I have a white 05 Max and it is not as hard as the black one to keep clean. I will post pics when I get my window flectors in the mail. Also the stock wheels on the SE in chrome would be sweet with a black Max. I dont understand why they didnt make them that way. Good luck on your choice.

Ron
Old 09-30-2004, 02:19 PM

Hmm, I would have to tell you to go with what your gut tells you. I wanted a black maxima and i ended up getting smoke. At first i was kind of regretful, as i really wanted the black max and a week later, someone on my street got a black max and i was kind of jealous. Well, now im happy that i got my smoke max instead, as the black max is dirrrrrrrty all the time,and a car like that just looks wrong when it is neglected. I dont have as much time as i used to because of my work so i cant dedicate a whole lot of time to cleaning my car, so smoke helps hide the dirt a little bit. I wouldn't get silver simply because my old Altima was silver and i like to switch up the colors on new cars. I know the question was between black and silver, but i recommend smoke.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:12 PM

Smoke/latte Is Outstanding!!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DvSMAXXX04
Im gonna have to agree with what everybody else said and tell you that black does look the best. (not trying to be bias either) But Im gonna tell you that you better be ready to clean, clean, clean if your as picky as me. This is the first black car Ive had in the 7 cars that Ive owned and Im gonna tell you that this will be the last black car Ill ever own. Dont get me wrong though, I love the color and I love to keep in shining....in my opinion, you cant go wrong with black on black.
I felt the same way about my 97,and is sticking to the no more Black Exteriors!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:41 PM

lighter is not better

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
Here is the frost interior - I personally think that even though it is a bit more work to keep clean - I agree with lightonthehill that it is far cooler to get into in the summer, and the interior of the car is brighter and more enjoyable to be in - I have had black interiors in cars, and they have a tendency to show every little bit of dirt / dust - lighter is better...

04Eelite I have a 04 bronze easy to keep up black dpp and all I can say is swifter once a week and I dont need to be concerned. About my passengers dirting my light seats as well as myself with dirt or the die in clothing die! from there clothes. They dont need to bleed on my seat!!!!>>>>Back in black
Old 09-30-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Nothing looks hotter than a nice black car. Nothing looks worse than a nice black car that has been neglected. You have to be prepared to do a lot of work to keep your black paint looking nice. That being said, everyone has to own one black car in their lifetime. Maybe this is your one, before you learn your lesson and move on. lol

Silver is a lot easier to maintain. It is going to be cooler in the summer.

As for interior colours. I might go with the black if I could do it again. I think the frost interior shows dirt too easily.

What about the smoke colour? Are you not digging it? Easier to maintain than black, and looks great too.

CM.
I second every thing that was just said. Smoke might be a great middle color for you between black or silver. I personally like my bronze better than silver. But......a perfect, well cared for waxed black car.....to me nothing looks better....but than, come the scratches and dents....wax swirls....they WILL come.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RayL
Smoke/latte Is Outstanding!!!!
Smoke with black interior.....black cloth though would look real nice. I love my black cloth interior. After years of leather, finally done with leather.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
...If you are the detail maniac and in your twenties then I would go with the black...
haha thats me....I find myself cleaning my car almost everyday!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 06:46 PM

lightonthehill, you are a very knowlegdeable person, and I definately look forward to your replies in any thread. I sat in a Latte interior leather Maxima today, and although I liked it, I wasn't really thrilled with the metalic look clashing with the brown color.

so unfortunately I had to order a Smoke with Black Leather interior to my specifications. I thought buying a new car would be easier than this.

if anyone knows anything about the new car ordering process, please reply to my new thread of reply here.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys, I thank you for all of your wonderful posts. Im gonna take some time to think it all over. I am leaning towards black on black 90 percent. But 10 percent wants me to get silver and black. All the other interior colors look really good, but I dont like how with the lighter colors the doors look really cheap. Smoke is a very nice color indeed but I like black and silver and white better. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:10 PM

......those 21 choices are the best IMO. Without a doubt black/black is 'flashiest' combo but as numerous people state unless you can see yourself giving your car the showroom treatment every other day than this combo will be to your interest.

Now with the silver/black combo you get a variation in color. Silver is not as high maintance as the black color. Plus the silver exterior with black interior give the car contrast, and with the black interior it will help make the 'aluminum' trims stand out more thus giving the interior a more 'luxurious/sporty' interior.

As I mentioned me personally I would've definately loved to have the black on black but I'm glad I got the silver/black combo.

Good luck with your decision, a though one, and no doubt an important one because based on the colors you will also have to consider what type of upgrades you give the car (rcolor of rims, engine accents if you choose to do so, even things such as tv monitors).

Best of wishes

Old 10-01-2004, 08:40 PM

I chose Blk outside and blk inside. It's a real pain to keep clean but it's a beautiful thing when clean. I have to clean mine once a week inside and out. I also wax it once a month. A blk car is definitely high maintenance. If you don't have the time to pamper a blk car then go with a lighter color.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 SE - Smoke with Black Leather and Love it.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also have black on black with leather interior and I live here in HOTlanta. The heat was starting to get to me, but I went and got the windows tinted. I only got 30% but that was enough to get the heat levels down to tolerable. I think it's because all tints cut the UV 99%. Love the black went it's clean (my first black car), but the dirt can definitely get on my nerves after a week or two.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:05 PM

My 98 was black with black leather and now my 04 is the same. I wash my car weekly so it normaly looks good. I live in Canada, yes it is hot in the summer but it also gets warmer quicker in the Winter on a nice sunny day .

Cheers,
Old 10-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

BLACK/ONYX ALL THE WAY BABY!!! I've always been a fan of a lighter interior (such as tan)...My Black MAX looks so appealing w/ the frost interior... I added some wooden beaded seatbacking as well, makes it stand out even more... The contrast from the dark exterior to light interior is gorgeous in my eyes! People love my interior... In Arizona, black interior (esp. leather) would not go over too well w/ the heat and all anyway...
Old 10-08-2004, 02:32 PM

i got the Smoke on Black SL and the sexyness level on it is preeeetty high.. i would recommend the smoke coz its just as sexy as black and not quite as hard to maintain the paint job , dont get me wrong i wash and polish the wax once every two weeks at LEAST.. DEFINATELY i think you should go with the black leather interior, look sharp in the day and mean at night. if not then do the BLAck on blaque ... IMO offcourse

< on another note > wish i could figure out how to put pics in sig
Old 10-08-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by STACK BUNDLES
< on another note > wish i could figure out how to put pics in sig
That grille is so hot on a smoke Maxima.. did you try the [IMG] pic url [/IMG] tag?