6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Tweeter replacement - How To Pt 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tweeter Replacement - How To Pt 1

1st let me say that from reading other gen forums I think the 6th gens must have better tweeters as stock. The tweets I removed were 1 inch albeit cheap. Noticable difference after replacement but not the "Oh WOW!" that other gens seemed to experience. Anyway here you go:

You must 1st remove a retaining screw shown here 10mm head:

Now rotate the whole cover to the right while pulling out at the top

Pic of connectors (anyone modded their mirrors to auto fold on shutdown?)
Old 10-30-2004, 10:48 AM

Tweeter Replacement - How to Pt 2

Stock tweeter & mount:

Basically you just unscrew the old tweeter and reuse the bracket with a little double sided tape. Here you can see my new Infinity tweeter in place. Wiring is straight foward. If in doubt the lead going to the capacitor is positive.

Now gently slide all the wires behind the fleece baffle material so it won't rattle. Reconnect the wires and reverse the process to reinstall the housing. All in all it probably took longer to post this than to perform!

Gratuitous pic of my interior:
Old 10-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interesting post and pics. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:32 PM

I imagine you have the Bose package as do I. I have to say I am pretty disappointed by the tweets. Fisrt chance I get, I am replacing the stock speakers, including brighter tweets. Good post though.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:39 PM

In the first pic...the screw that holds the sail panel in place...do you have to bend the trim back to gain access to it?
Old 10-30-2004, 03:16 PM

Pulling from the hinge side it pops right out. You do have to hold it out a bit while removing the screw. It comes out very easily so don't force it.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:55 PM

This way is too risky! You may break something IMHO. It's not that hard to take the door panel apart. You first need to start by removing the silver molding piece on the door. The best way to take the silver molding out is to use one of those smaller flat screw drivers that you would use on eyeglasses. You want something small, flat, and strong enough so it doesn't bend. You can do one of a few things to protect from scratching. Use a red shop towel, Tape up the end of the screw driver, or use something plastic. I taped up a flat head screw driver.
Sorry, I don't have pics of the actual install/removal of the door, but I will do my best to tell you how to do it.

\

Insert the screw driver at the bottom tip of the trim and gently yet forcefully pull so the trim pops out at the point. Slowly move your way along the bottom of the trim poping it out. Repeat for the top of the trim.

Once you have the trim off you will see there are two silver screws holding the panel on. Remove those using a magnetic tipped phillips screw driver. There is one more srew-it's hidden behind a plastic plate where the door latch is located. Use a flat head screw driver to pry that off and the screw is there.

That's all the screws there are to remove! Next you will have to pop off the window up/down switch pannel. Before you do this though roll down the windows on the doors you are working on. This will allow you to remove the door panel.

There will be an access hole where you will see this black block. Push up on that and you will pop up the plate that has all the switches. Using a flat head screw driver remove the wire harness off of the switch block.

Now reach under the door towards the back of the car and you will feel a gap between the metal and plastic. Pull up and out here. This will pop the door panel off. Move your way to the front of the car and pull up and out on the panel. Make sure you pull up and out on the sides of the panel too. Once you have all the retention clips poped off you will lift the panel up. Start at the rear of the door and pull the finisher up so that it comes off of the window sill at the rear of the car first. You will be able to get the door finisher off from that point.

Don't pull away too hard yet because you need to detach three things. the door latch wire, door lock wire, and the door light wire located on the bottom of the panel towards the rear of the car.

Once you have all of these parts off you can romove the door panel.
You will then have good access to the tweeter cover to remove it and You can do you regular speakers too. I might go and take some pictures so it is more clear. Let me know is this post makes sense. if not I can take more pics.