6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Car Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Car Questions

I just bought new 2005 Nissan Maxima SE Smoke last week and I want to say Hello to everybody!

I am impress with the car and I think Nissan Maxima has really good value for the money.

I have couple questions and will be really appreciated for your advices.

- Is it safe to go to automated car wash? I am worry about scratching my rims when I go through those rails.

- Did anyone buy Nissan Security+Plus or Maintenance+Plus plans?
Are they worth it and what are the best price for them?

Thank You,
Old 12-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Congrats on your new Max...I just got mine last Saturday. I have had it to the nearby automated car wash several times already and it has faired perfectly fine. I'm not sure all washes would be the same, but I would assume they would be close.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by vopal
I just bought new 2005 Nissan Maxima SE Smoke last week and I want to say Hello to everybody!

I am impress with the car and I think Nissan Maxima has really good value for the money.

I have couple questions and will be really appreciated for your advices.

- Is it safe to go to automated car wash? I am worry about scratching my rims when I go through those rails.

- Did anyone buy Nissan Security+Plus or Maintenance+Plus plans?
Are they worth it and what are the best price for them?

Thank You,
welcome.
I have the security plus plan. maintenace: I was told right out it was a waste. I even tried to come in for free check-up and they said don't waste your time.

auto wash will give you the swirls of death on your paint.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vopal

Thank You,

I agree with Nismo80--automated car wash brushes will definitely scratch your paint. They pick up dirt which acts as an abrasive and leaves fine but visible scratches. My dealer usually puts cars in for service through the automatic wash, and I always tell them not to and have a sign instructing "DO NOT WASH" that I tape on a side window whenever it's in for service.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:16 PM

Part of my relaxation time is hand washing the car and detailing it myself.....I never trust any auto wash place, nor do I like high pressure wash, not good for seals in the long run. Hey, to me, nothing better than taking care of stuff with my own eye of detail and know it will be done right...plus, maybe it is just me, but really, give me the CD player plugged in outside, some nice sun, and I am happy working on the car, stress reliever to me after taking off my military uniform and putting on the sweats.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:34 PM

Greetings Vopal,

I am in the same boat as you, just bought a 05 SE Onyx. DO NOT go near a car wash. You will have scratches all over your car. Hand wash it then polish it and get a good coat of wax on that thing!

Welcome, the Maxima is DEF a great car and value.

Nick
Old 12-02-2004, 03:42 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you guys didn't get the simoniz wax that they do in the dealer? that works great water comes right off, it stays shiny all the time. I go to a car wash sometimes (not with my 6th gen yet) but I also wax my cars like hell. so theres not much work to get clean.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:18 PM

I agree with the handwashing crowd. I have seen some horrific gouges in cars that have been thru automatic washes. Relax on Sat morning and wash the beast. Gives you a chance to get to know it and inspect for problems, like sap, bird sh*t and other stuff that can end up on the surface.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for your feedback.
Congradulation to everybody how also recently bought their cars.
I definitly will not go to automated car wash.
I am also going to do a research on prices for security+plus plan. I found that you can buy Honda extended warranty 6 years 100k miles and $0 for $910. I hope I can find something similar for Nissan.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:34 PM

High pressure washes are way better than an automatic wash. I feel that you can scratch the paint handwashing. You still are moving dirt around. My detailing buddies tell me that it's usually better to get the dirt off with higher pressure water and then do the rest of the work by hand. This way you blast all the dirt off to avoid creating those swirls in the paint. The best wax jobs are done by hand! Next time your at the dealer walk over to the detailing area and talk with the guys there. They provide some of the best advice around.

As far as the extended care package. only get the edxtended warranty. Anything around $800-$1000 is a good deal for a 7yr/100k warranty. As far as security goes...get lojack on your own. Your insurance company should offer a lower premium for this option. Good Luck and enjoy the max.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 PM

7 year was like 750 bucks for the max
Old 12-03-2004, 03:30 PM

I bought the ESP warranty. It came with 4 free oil changes! Wooo hoo!! Besides that, they cover rental car's if needed due to a breakdown. I had to have my car towed to a dealership and I was unable to get up there for 5 days. They paid for a rental car the whole time. The bill must have come to about $700CDN easily. Nearly the cost of the entire warranty. So its nearly paid for itself already without covering anything else yet.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:05 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by PaL379
7 year was like 750 bucks for the max
I got the 72 month 75k mile warantee.........
Old 12-03-2004, 06:15 PM

Hand washed here still swirlls tell me different I will vist you? NYC here, thank you for your reply. Allways looking for a maxima owner that loves there ride..