6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How many keys and fobs did you get with your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How many keys and fobs did you get with your car?

I won't even get into how unbelievable stupid and inept the dealership is where I got my 2004 SL. BUT, I only got ONE key upon pickup because they "couldn't find" the other keys. So, today I go pick up the key fobs (got 2 of them). Not until I got home did I realize....NO EXTRA KEYS! So, I get out the owner's manual, and it looks like I should have gotten at the very minimum: 1 key, 1 valet key, and a plate with a key number on it??

What I now have is 2 key fobs and 1 key. Tell me what I should have so I can call the dealer AGAIN and give 'em hell.

Jane
Old 01-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Hmm, well I got 2 keys with a chip in it, as they all do. Two key FOBs and one Valet key. BTW, I was told by the dealer that a replacement key would cost up to $100, so I'd suggest to have them make another key and while they are at it replace the valet for you as well.

On a side note, I thought the key and FOB were a pair since you can set each key and remote to diffrent seat settings.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:24 PM

My dealer is about an hour away and I really don't relish the thought of going in there again. Damn!

Did you get some sort of "plate" with a number on it? Look at page 3-2 of the owner's manual.....sounds like if I had that number, I could have them easily order these keys for me. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to trek back in there AGAIN.

I can't believe how useless this dealer is.

Jane
Old 01-21-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by missjane
My dealer is about an hour away and I really don't relish the thought of going in there again. Damn!

Did you get some sort of "plate" with a number on it? Look at page 3-2 of the owner's manual.....sounds like if I had that number, I could have them easily order these keys for me. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to trek back in there AGAIN.

I can't believe how useless this dealer is.

Jane
Yes, On the valet key ring there is a plate that has a key code ID stamped in it.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:40 PM

2 keys and 2 fobs with one valet key.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by factorymax

Same here.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:25 PM

ditto: 2+2+1
Old 01-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 master keys w/key fobs and a valet key. However, If you do make another set of keys, the codes on the other set of keys will need to be change also. If you do not take any additional keys in, your new key will be the only one that works.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:00 AM

I have a similar situation. When the dealer presented me with the car keys he only had two master keys. I immediately asked him where is the valet key and he blatantly lied to me by saying "Oh, the 2005 Maxima doesn't come with a valet key. Nissan decided to do away with the valet key." To myself I thought that was strange. The valet key has a very useful purpose. Anyway, being the trusting guy that I am, I believed him. He should know right?

Well, the next day while reading the manual I nearly hit the roof. I left a message for the salesman to get my valet key. He made arrangements for me to get the key at the parts/service department and my experience there was even more frustrating. First, I had to take time off from work, without pay, for the appointment. When I arrived they tried to charge me over $100 for the key so of course I had to fight them on that. Then after waiting over an hour they called me and told me that a mistake was made. Instead of cutting and programming a new valet key for me, they cut me another master key which is useless because they didn't program it. The technician didn't realize that the valet key was supposed to be red and not black. Furthermore, they told me that they didn't have any valet keys in stock and that they would call me when the key comes in. This is after I had called a few days earlier to confirm that they had the key so I could make the appointment. It's been a week now and I'm still waiting.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:25 AM

2+1(red valet)
Old 01-22-2005, 08:44 AM

hmm, my valet key is black. None the less it's not programed, and looks a little diffrent then the master. Meaning it has an embedded Nissan logo in it, not the embossed silver emblem. I can tell the differance...
Old 01-22-2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by missjane
I won't even get into how unbelievable stupid and inept the dealership is where I got my 2004 SL. BUT, I only got ONE key upon pickup because they "couldn't find" the other keys. So, today I go pick up the key fobs (got 2 of them). Not until I got home did I realize....NO EXTRA KEYS! So, I get out the owner's manual, and it looks like I should have gotten at the very minimum: 1 key, 1 valet key, and a plate with a key number on it??

What I now have is 2 key fobs and 1 key. Tell me what I should have so I can call the dealer AGAIN and give 'em hell.

Jane
Hello. I just bought a new 05 SE and it came with 2 key fobs, 2 ignition keys and a single valet key with a metal knock out numbered plate which the dealer told me to never lose if they need to make new keys someday.

I would think that your dealer just didn't provide you with all the keys your supposed to have with it, I would call them up and make them give you the proper amount of keys with your car. Especially as much as these things cost.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jakkar2992
2 master keys w/key fobs and a valet key. However, If you do make another set of keys, the codes on the other set of keys will need to be change also. If you do not take any additional keys in, your new key will be the only one that works.
Hey jakkar2992. How is your maxima a SE and an SL as your profile states? Or, do you have 2 smoke maximas? Just curious.

I know I am a bit off topic. Sorry!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maxium
hmm, my valet key is black. None the less it's not programed, and looks a little diffrent then the master. Meaning it has an embedded Nissan logo in it, not the embossed silver emblem. I can tell the differance...
I got my valet key made today. It's also black with an embedded Nissan logo, no silver. The plastic part of the key is also a little smaller than that on the master keys.

I still can't get over how the salesman lied to me by saying that the 2005 Maxima doesn't come with a valet key. I get upset every time I think about it. I guess it must be true that most car salesmen lack integrity.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:23 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I also got 2 masters with a silver hamburger on them with fobs, and a valet key, it came with a plastic piece on it ...
Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but since I can't search from within the forum, I used Yahoo! and this seemed like the most pertinent thread.

I want to order a remote off of eBay, but I want to be sure that I can program it...or is it something that the dealer has to do? I was able to do it for my GTP, but it was something along the lines of the ol' "Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start" code. Anywho...thoughts?

Oh...and same question with the key. Has anyone purchased one anywhere other than at the dealer (cheaper) and how difficult was it to get them to cut/program? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by factorymax
i got the same thing
Old 06-05-2006, 03:27 PM

2 normal keys, 2 fobs, and 1 valet here as well... although one of my keyfobs (the one I've been using nearly every day for almost 3 years) is near the end of it's life. The little loop on the end is half broken and when I drop my keys (which I do too often) it seems like the fob likes to break open. Not too mention that the lettering has long since worn off all but the panic button.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Banned

Does anyone really give the valet the valet key? How often does anyone use valet parking?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 AM

So what about eBay remotes and cheap keys?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:27 AM

TTT - need info on this.

I only have one set as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 AM

Two Full Keys, Two Fobs... No valet
When asked the dealer if they could contact the previous owner, they said... "you don't need that... you actually Valet your car? Do you know what valets do to cars? If they really want to get in your truck or glove box they can, you know?"
Old 06-06-2006, 09:11 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Originally Posted by DRod
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but since I can't search from within the forum, I used Yahoo! and this seemed like the most pertinent thread.

I want to order a remote off of eBay, but I want to be sure that I can program it...or is it something that the dealer has to do? I was able to do it for my GTP, but it was something along the lines of the ol' "Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start" code. Anywho...thoughts?

Oh...and same question with the key. Has anyone purchased one anywhere other than at the dealer (cheaper) and how difficult was it to get them to cut/program? Thanks.
I ordered mine off of ebay after dropping it in water. Thet send you the instructions on how to program it also. It's very easy. You can also check the stickies.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Two silver-Nissan-logo regular keys, to key FOBs, one black-Nissan-logo valet key
Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by highwaycruiser
Two silver-Nissan-logo regular keys, to key FOBs, one black-Nissan-logo valet key
Uhhmm.... silver? Both of my regular keys are black-handled and my valet key is purple.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:59 PM

SOrry. Let me clarify... the plastic part of the key is black on both the regular and valet keys. But the "Nissan" logo on the regular keys is a fancy silver one covered by clear plastic, and the "Nissan" logo on the valet key is merely etched into the black plastic. The regular keys have a nicer logo, is basically what I'm saying.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by highwaycruiser
SOrry. Let me clarify... the plastic part of the key is black on both the regular and valet keys. But the "Nissan" logo on the regular keys is a fancy silver one covered by clear plastic, and the "Nissan" logo on the valet key is merely etched into the black plastic. The regular keys have a nicer logo, is basically what I'm saying.
Oh ok.... all of my keys just have a stamped/etched Nissan logo... no silver or clear plastic at all (I have an 04; purchased in Sept. of 2003).
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=Maxium]Hmm, well I got 2 keys with a chip in it, as they all do. Two key FOBs and one Valet key. BTW, I was told by the dealer that a replacement key would cost up to $100, so I'd suggest to have them make another key and while they are at it replace the valet for you as well.

I bought my SE used, and they tried to give me just one BENT key, and a worn out fob. I had to haggle them for another fob atleast, and it turned out being one without the trunk button! Anyway, I went over to the local dealership to get two new keys cut and programmed, to my surprise, only costed like 30 or 40 bucks.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:11 AM

I got 2 keys, 2 fobs, no valet -- which they tell me I was supposed to get.