6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Found a grill insert

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Found a grill insert

I was looking at the Street Concepts Maxima, and I noticed the grill was done by a company nearby called Twin Custom Concepts. Im going to call them to see what their story is. I like that grill. Not sure what an "insert" though with respect to a grill. http://www.twinscustomconcepts.com/
Old 03-06-2005, 06:56 PM

do you have a link to the igrill insert?

<edit> igrill sorry a typeo - must be a iPod, iTunes thing, iGrill
Old 03-06-2005, 08:59 PM

Here is the Street Concepts Maxima. Pretty mean looking machine.
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...pts/home.shtml
Old 03-06-2005, 11:46 PM

You guys should wait for the active tuning grill. Its probably gonna be nice. All their altima stuff is.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:01 AM

I was just looking at the street concepts, and I think now I'm NOT buying that grille. I don;t know, but something tells me it could be better....
Old 03-07-2005, 07:39 AM

It is probably the lack of better pics that takes from the appearance. If there were to be a better closer up view. I myself really like the way it looks, especially on an onyx max. But am scared that it will be some cheap piece of metal once i order and receive it.

Originally Posted by Wakkus_Maximus
I was just looking at the street concepts, and I think now I'm NOT buying that grille. I don;t know, but something tells me it could be better....
Old 03-07-2005, 09:29 AM

u can talk to them and ask. Maybe order it contingent upon it being good quality. I mean how else do we learn about whether something is good or not. I live nearby (35 min or so) and Im going to be heading down that way to pick up my Stillen body kit and strut brace, probably on Wednesday. Ill see if I can arrange to drop by the manufacturer or maybe even see the car itself and determine if its crappy or not. I have a feeling its not crappy because they spent a lot of money on other parts, like the AP Racing brakes and Schnitzer spoiler. Also its a show car.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Deus;
I was also thinking that the only way to find out is to actually purchase and thinking along the lines of the quality of the other parts and that Maxima being a show car. But i do not want to be misled by a fallacy (just because they are dumping hundreds of dollars into the car, does not mean that all the parts are quality). Let me know if you actually drop by their shop and what info you get. I emailed them yesterday and am waiting for a reply. The factory grille IMO does the Max no justice.

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
u can talk to them and ask. Maybe order it contingent upon it being good quality. I mean how else do we learn about whether something is good or not. I live nearby (35 min or so) and Im going to be heading down that way to pick up my Stillen body kit and strut brace, probably on Wednesday. Ill see if I can arrange to drop by the manufacturer or maybe even see the car itself and determine if its crappy or not. I have a feeling its not crappy because they spent a lot of money on other parts, like the AP Racing brakes and Schnitzer spoiler. Also its a show car.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:03 PM

I called Twin Concepts this morning and spoke to a guy there who made the grill for the Street Concepts Maxima. He said he also made the grill for other Maximas. He said that what he does is cut out the "teeth" from the stock grill and "hand-form" a stainless steel mesh in place of the cut out. Some customers want it painted, and others like it stainless. He charges $300 for this process, which he admitted was expensive.
I also asked about the logo in the center. He said he could remove the logo, fill in the dished area, and paint it for $400, also expensive. Total to do grill right is $700 which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of line in my opinion.

So, whats the solution? Here is my solution:

I hunted around and found some aluminum grill mesh at Pep Boys for about $40. Also I found some galvanized steel mesh at Home Depot for $2.00 but it was a 6 inch strip and the grill is just wider than that. If it was another inch or two wider it would have worked. I am inclined to try the aluminum mesh from Pep Boys becuase it will fit and it is made for it, albeit, about 10 times the price of Home Depot material. Im trying to figure out how to attach the mesh screen to the grill once I cut out the "teeth". Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:11 PM

i was thinking about making a mesh for the lower bumper grille to match my upper mesh grille. i might try that home depot one, since the bumper grille is small. thanks deus!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:28 PM

Sure thing Pal, go to the gutter section of home depot. The mesh is like a screen for catching leaves i believe.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 PM

Anyone with suggestions as to how to attach the mesh to the grill. The mesh I found is aluminum, from Pep Boys. I think it attaches to the back of the grill frame. Im thinking about using wood screws. Epoxy may work too.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What about the Sarona grill? That looks alot like it to me.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 PM

I was going to go with Sarona grill. But if I can make it for 50 bucks, its better than 225 bucks which is what the Sarona would be with shipping and handing. I heard there are quality issues with Sarona too. I take a bit of pride in stuff I make too!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was going to go with Sarona grill. But if I can make it for 50 bucks, its better than 225 bucks which is what the Sarona would be with shipping and handing. I heard there are quality issues with Sarona too. I take a bit of pride in stuff I make too!!!
What quality issues have you heard about? I was thinking of getting that grill.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:54 AM

That is rediculous, $700.00, hmm what can i spend that money on....perhaps a Y-pipe, and an intake. Deus we are WAY better off making our own grille. I am not the craftiest person in the world. But sure as hell beats spending $700.00. Have you thought of getting a grille from a junk yard to practice on (just in case)?

I called Twin Concepts this morning and spoke to a guy there who made the grill for the Street Concepts Maxima. He said he also made the grill for other Maximas. He said that what he does is cut out the "teeth" from the stock grill and "hand-form" a stainless steel mesh in place of the cut out. Some customers want it painted, and others like it stainless. He charges $300 for this process, which he admitted was expensive.
I also asked about the logo in the center. He said he could remove the logo, fill in the dished area, and paint it for $400, also expensive. Total to do grill right is $700 which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of line in my opinion.

So, whats the solution? Here is my solution:

I hunted around and found some aluminum grill mesh at Pep Boys for about $40. Also I found some galvanized steel mesh at Home Depot for $2.00 but it was a 6 inch strip and the grill is just wider than that. If it was another inch or two wider it would have worked. I am inclined to try the aluminum mesh from Pep Boys becuase it will fit and it is made for it, albeit, about 10 times the price of Home Depot material. Im trying to figure out how to attach the mesh screen to the grill once I cut out the "teeth". Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 AM

DeusExMaxima****

Maybe instead of completely cutting out the teeth you could just shave them down to the level that you want to have the grill inserted...paint them black..and them fasten the grill on top of them. I don't think they would be visible nor would the grill end up flapping in the wind if you did this.

Just a suggestion.

Sparq