6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Aussie 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PaL379
that doesnt look like a stock navi. looks cool though. which system is that, the tom-tom one?

The system is VDO it a super unit that folds upwards to access the ash/coin tray which is below and pop us from below . Same with the cupholders behind the gearshift.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 05MAXIJJ
dam..really different..and looks lot like a G35sedan...IMO..interior looks little more girly..IMO..but overall..looks nice.but the power HP is way too low??

I think that Nissan underated the KW somewhat a mate of mine put his 05 on a dyno and it actually putting out like 185kw stock.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by eLMo
WOW! How much is that thing worth over there man? It is more luxorius of there then here. Prob gonna be like $10,000 more with the keyless start and DVD players.

LOts of tax on Aussie imported cars but they start at around $38999-$46999.00 AUD add about $2000 for duties and rego and onroad delivery and stuff..
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 PM

do they have infiniti cars in aus??cuz if not..that looks very similar to the nissan g35 sedan..in japan..

No Infinity here its Japanese eqivilant is the Teana ...its identical but comes with a CVT transmission
Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
No Infinity here its Japanese eqivilant is the Teana ...its identical but comes with a CVT transmission
than i think its the same kinda models in japan..that looks like the nissan skyline sedan..sideways..
Old 04-16-2005, 10:58 PM

look at comparsion..IMO the AUS maxi looks good..and looks like the sedan skyline IMO.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
it has two screens, the normal one and the navi.... that rocks man!!!...

con: theres no cut out for the muffler tips huh... and they are just the pipes, they don't have actual tips on them like this....

Na theyn just come straight out no surrounds had them made up to quads as the normal ones are dual and not even visible
Old 04-17-2005, 07:21 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I think that car looks more like "the new Q 45" usa version..... don't yall think so..

nice car though, all that chrome, and those rims looke like the FX45 from here also...looks good overall..
Old 04-17-2005, 07:35 AM

I am really glad that most of you all liked it , it is a terrific drive and I will keep you all updated with modifications that I make to to it as I go along.

I will post a few pictures of the engine bay and the like for you to compair to the US model as well.

In the process of getting a couple of rear light chrome surronds from Singapore and Turn signal repeater leds which mould into the wing mirrors from Hong Kong , its a bit like shopping around the world with this model , stuff is avalible standard or as accessories only in certain countries so you have to search high and wide to find it all.

Rear deck spoiler next week...
Old 04-17-2005, 07:38 AM

I think cattman has the headers for your AUS max too.... he said he has headers for a non usa max, thats prob yours....

look into it..
Old 04-17-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I think cattman has the headers for your AUS max too.... he said he has headers for a non usa max, thats prob yours....

look into it..

Where can I find this fine fellow ??? I would be interested indeed...hope they are for the 3.5 lots of stuff around for the old 3.0 but not a lot for the 3.5 ....
Old 04-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Where can I find this fine fellow ??? I would be interested indeed...hope they are for the 3.5 lots of stuff around for the old 3.0 but not a lot for the 3.5 ....
i will take that model over USA maxi model anytime..but the engine??170BHP??ill pass on that..thats like a jetta engine?BTW..yea that looks more like the q series and new M 35 45 models.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:14 PM

pm him, his name is CATTMAN, here
Old 04-17-2005, 02:51 PM

This AU maxima model would go unnoticed here in North America. Front looks like the above Ford and the back reminds me of the 2 door accord. The interior is a crazy array IMHO.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:17 PM

yea overall..i htink interior and exterior looks nicer than our models in USA..but maybe becuase its just new to the eyes..^^
Old 04-17-2005, 08:27 PM

i will take that model over USA maxi model anytime..but the engine??170BHP??ill pass on that..thats like a jetta engine?BTW..yea that looks more like the q series and new M 35 45 models.
Its 170kw not BHP on dyno most seem to put out about 185kw don't really know why Nissan underates them but front drive big engines are not all that popular over here , translates to about 260bhp
Old 04-17-2005, 08:28 PM

Its 170kw not BHP on dyno most seem to put out about 185kw don't really know why Nissan underates them but front drive big engines are not all that popular over here , translates to about 260bhp
oh..so 170 kw is about 260 hp?>?if so.thats not bad at all..
Old 04-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think Aussie Maxima is different with U.S. Maxima.
because the factory code is J31 VS. A34
Old 04-18-2005, 04:13 AM

I likes ... looks more like a Toyota than anything else,but nice none the less, do you like OUR version better?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrHpsn
I likes ... looks more like a Toyota than anything else,but nice none the less, do you like OUR version better?

Like bits on both of them to be honest , some features of the US model are outstanding and other less so. Love the front end on the US version more then mine but prefer my rear end . Side on I like the Aussie chrome look .. but it all comes down to a matter of individual taste.

One thing I have to say is that I must confess that I recon that the Japanese build quality is outstanding and we almost have never any complaints about panel fit and finish and the quality of the materials used are as good or better in some cases then the wifees BMW ... ( a total disaster car which has had $35,000 AUD in warranty work done) in two years,you name it amost and it has been replaced) Engine, tranny, half the interior ect...my last car was a Merc and it never gave any trouble and I think the Maxima will be the same The finish on the Maxima is jsut as good on the Merc with only some small attentions to details that they skimpt on , mind it also cost like $30K less.

We don't have lemon laws here , last time while waiting on a new engine incomming from Germany we got a brand new 3 series while hers was being fixed we gave it back after putting 4500km on it ...
Old 04-18-2005, 08:42 AM

Beautifull Car. Is it just me, or does the exterior look very similar to an Altima?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like bits on both of them to be honest , some features of the US model are outstanding and other less so. Love the front end on the US version more then mine but prefer my rear end . Side on I like the Aussie chrome look .. but it all comes down to a matter of individual taste.

One thing I have to say is that I must confess that I recon that the Japanese build quality is outstanding and we almost have never any complaints about panel fit and finish and the quality of the materials used are as good or better in some cases then the wifees BMW ... ( a total disaster car which has had $35,000 AUD in warranty work done) in two years,you name it amost and it has been replaced) Engine, tranny, half the interior ect...my last car was a Merc and it never gave any trouble and I think the Maxima will be the same The finish on the Maxima is jsut as good on the Merc with only some small attentions to details that they skimpt on , mind it also cost like $30K less.

We don't have lemon laws here , last time while waiting on a new engine incomming from Germany we got a brand new 3 series while hers was being fixed we gave it back after putting 4500km on it ...
blackpaladin67, nice car! I've had my Aussie ST-L Max for the past 12 months (20,000km) and it is indeed a fabulous car...I especially love the interior because it's so unlike anything else we have in Aus.

But damn, around 10,000km, pinging started and it gets quite loud sometimes. The dealer I bought it from was utterly useless in even looking at the problem. The dealer I'm now speaking to was very helpful and agreed immediately that there was a problem. They've asked Nissan for assistance (since it doesn't appear to be a recognised issue with these cars). I've always used the 98RON fuel so we're all at a loss to explain it. I'm dropping it off tomorrow and given that this has gone on for so long, I'll be demanding a new engine. My understanding is pinging/detonation/knocking/whatever just isn't good for long-term reliability. I'm really disappointed because I look after my car to the point of being ****. I understand how you guys in the US must feel when you have problems with your Maximas (which look great also - especially from the front).

If anyone's interested, I'll post the outcome in the near future.

Incidently, this is a great forum!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:43 PM
SuPeRmOd

definitely keep us updated. you Aussie Max bros are always welcome.
you may want to also check out the International forum to see if there are any locals:
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...sprune=-1&f=73
Old 04-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxus
blackpaladin67, nice car! I've had my Aussie ST-L Max for the past 12 months (20,000km) and it is indeed a fabulous car...I especially love the interior because it's so unlike anything else we have in Aus.

But damn, around 10,000km, pinging started and it gets quite loud sometimes. The dealer I bought it from was utterly useless in even looking at the problem. The dealer I'm now speaking to was very helpful and agreed immediately that there was a problem. They've asked Nissan for assistance (since it doesn't appear to be a recognised issue with these cars). I've always used the 98RON fuel so we're all at a loss to explain it. I'm dropping it off tomorrow and given that this has gone on for so long, I'll be demanding a new engine. My understanding is pinging/detonation/knocking/whatever just isn't good for long-term reliability. I'm really disappointed because I look after my car to the point of being ****. I understand how you guys in the US must feel when you have problems with your Maximas (which look great also - especially from the front).

If anyone's interested, I'll post the outcome in the near future.

Incidently, this is a great forum!
Mate ,this is a great forum , pitty we don't have one is Aussie ..but then we have this one so that is good

Bet ya that its your fuel , 98 goes off in the bowser really fast like it goes stale in 2 weeks , some one once told me, who worked for a fuel company that only buy 98 from really busy stations that have lots of people buying it there becasue it goes off in the tanks and drops it octane rating or the additives of whatever..

My Merc did that back in Darwin where 98 used to come up from Victoria in 44 gallon drums and was stale by the time it got to Darwin , when the dealer pulled the plugs it the ping had bent 2 out of 4 which caused more pings..
Old 04-18-2005, 11:14 PM

The pinging could be caused (as you suspect) by the evaporation of the volitile portions of your premium gasoline.

However, I believe it is more likely caused by fuel injector and engine deposits. If you can obtain Chevron's Techron, I recommend that you pour a bottle in your gas tank just before filling up. Run the tank down to about 1/4. If deposits are causing the problem, this should clear them up.

The VQ35 engine has a knock sensor that will adjust the fuel system to eliminate knock. That sensor and the computer that controls it may also be bad. The dealer should be able to determine if this is the case.

Good luck finding the cause.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
The VQ35 engine has a knock sensor that will adjust the fuel system to eliminate knock. That sensor and the computer that controls it may also be bad. The dealer should be able to determine if this is the case.
SilverMax, you're on the money. Just picked up the car from the dealer and had a long chat to the head tech. Looks like the knock sensor is faulty. He showed me a graph of ignition timing and engine revs from the car and it could be clearly seen when the timing suddenly advanced way too far at around 2,000rpm. Took them a while to find it because it only happens when it's quite hot under the bonnet (after extensive idling or hot day) and even then, not all the time.

Now waiting for replacement sensor from Japan approx. 5 - 10days. Hopefully that resolves the problem but I asked him to detail the fault in their system should any adverse effects of detonation show up later on.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all for your input. Now I just need to post some pics and start modding my baby, right?!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:25 AM
GrandPa

I love this forum. There is always a member that gives good advice. Later Warren

Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 AM

SilverMax, you're on the money. Just picked up the car from the dealer and had a long chat to the head tech. Looks like the knock sensor is faulty. He showed me a graph of ignition timing and engine revs from the car and it could be clearly seen when the timing suddenly advanced way too far at around 2,000rpm. Took them a while to find it because it only happens when it's quite hot under the bonnet (after extensive idling or hot day) and even then, not all the time.

Now waiting for replacement sensor from Japan approx. 5 - 10days. Hopefully that resolves the problem but I asked him to detail the fault in their system should any adverse effects of detonation show up later on.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all for your input. Now I just need to post some pics and start modding my baby, right?!
Unless you did extensive driving while this knocking occurred, you should be OK. The engine is designed to handle some "light engine knock" from time to time. But, you were smart to get this problem documented in case there are future problems. I would also ask for a letter from the dealer spelling out the problems (so that you also have a record of the problem spelled out by the dealer).
Old 02-10-2006, 04:15 PM

Does anyone know if the AU Max grille will fit on a NA Max grille? The Australian grille looks pretty sweet. Better than the "tooth" grille that we got here in the states.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=455746
Old 02-10-2006, 06:11 PM
*moderator*

I gonna go ahead and say no, the shape would have to be identical to fit and just by looking at the pics you can tell it's different...
Old 02-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that aussie max looks exactly like the new altima thats coming out...
Old 02-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Newbie just Registered

Where's Aussie???
Old 02-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by logik05se
that aussie max looks exactly like the new altima thats coming out...
Hint: Aussie Max shares the same wheel base, engine output, transmission, and suspension setup as the current V6 Altima.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I better introduce myself as Im new here.
My name is Brad and im from australia as well.
I have an S13 (240sx) that I run in improved production racing. Ive been with nissan for longer than I care to remember and owned more nissans than I can possibly remember.

Im a master tech at a nissan by day so I literally eat, sleep and live everything nissan.
We are more than aware of the pinging issue with J31's.

But damn, around 10,000km, pinging started and it gets quite loud sometimes. The dealer I bought it from was utterly useless in even looking at the problem.
Its not actually a Knock sensor its caused by the throttle chamber. The fly by wire control motor is over heating and sending false data back to the ECM and BCM causing the pinging.
Get your dealer to put a contact into FIX on their intranet and ill guide them through fixing the problem. Alternativly they should have received a TSB by now explaining the problem and the warranty info on the repair procedure.
The throttle chambers are available in all warehouses and would only take a day to arrive at your dealership.
The reason the knock sensor is still in japan is because they are not an isue and there is no reason to keep them in the country.

The weird ignition timing is caused by the mixed data received by the ECM, its basicly looking at the wrong section of the ignition map due to the throttle position vs load data.

There are also a few TSB's and problems we are having with J31's, Alternator rotors are falling apart left right and center. Boot seals leaking, Early model trim is falling apart (pre leather days). the list is pretty long but they are all minor concerns

On a side note I also own a locally delivered J31 maxima. Mine is the blue metalic colour.
So far I have upgraded to coilovers and pedders sway bars.
I made up my own front pipes replicated from various ones I have seen on this forum.
Im using a set of cams I had ordered for a Z33 but ended up being to small for the application. They work pretty well in the VQ35 though, they are having adverse effects on the VCT however.
Mines made 207fwkw on a dyno dynamics in shoot out mode.
(207kw is 277hp)
I also have a set of Z33 brembos going on some time this week.
Ill post a few photos of it when I get a chance.

Brad.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:10 AM

I like the interior of your car.. reminds me of the infiniti's interior..... wonder if they smart key will be available for the 2007 model will have it..

can you post more pics of the interior specially the nav and the dvd stuff.....
Old 02-11-2006, 10:57 AM

Brad/Risking,
Does the Aussie trunk lip fit our Maxs? I really like it, not too big and it has the LED lights in it.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thats a pretty good question.
Im not 100% sure. Do you have any aerial shots of the trunk profile??

They seem to be a similar shape. Do you not have one as an option on you US models??
Old 02-11-2006, 01:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Risking
Thats a pretty good question.
Im not 100% sure. Do you have any aerial shots of the trunk profile??

They seem to be a similar shape. Do you not have one as an option on you US models??
We are only offered a lip spoiler without lights. Many have used the G35 spoiler/wing that has a light bar.

Why don't you 2 measure your trunk lids to see if they're close enough?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Old Maxima Legend

[QUOTE=SilverMax_04]I'm 65 years old and worked for Amoco Oil (now owned by BP) for 35 years. I worked in the industry when Research Octane was the only number used to sell gasoline.QUOTE]

silver knows his petrol for sure ! silver i can report that out of all the setups I have used. The BP 98 Ultimate here in NZ is just as good as our 93 octane in the states. It has been my belief that when im pumping 98 here im really pumping 93 backhome. So yeah the method kinda throws you off a bit.

As for as testing the car, i was running the exact same times in the 1/4 mile (USA93 vs NZ 98) so no performance loss or gain.

I can say however that my wife dumped some 91 NZ gasoline in the maxima a few months back and boy was that stuff crap gas. Well you know for my car, our civic loves it and runs great on it. But not really sure why, I had some mild pinging with the stuff which is what something like 86 octane in the states ? lol

Overall I think some guys go overboard with the octane. While I believe the 4th gen should use 93 for optimum performance we dont need avgas and 110 octane, lol ! I have ran with 93 octane and octane boost mixed with a 1/4 of a tank, 93 octane only, and NZ 98 octane, o and also 100 octane from the drag strip, and my times were the same.

One more thing silver you might find interesting. Gas has presently been over 6 dollars a gallon here ! whew ! havent had a full tank of gas in a long long time.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Ceasar,
I don't have much experience with the gasoline refineries in New Zeland, so can't comment on the quality of the different brands and grades sold there. I suspect your note above may have confused some site members from North America who don't understand the difference between Research Octane (used to market gasoline outside of the US and Canada) and the posted octane in N America which is (R+M)/2 octane (this is an average of Research Octane and Motor Octane) -- most of us here now call this simply "Octane Index." For details on Octane, I refer readers to my long discussion of that topic in this thread in the Fluids & Lubes section of this site.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396716

Given that the sensitivity (that is the difference between a gasoline's Research Octane and its Motor Octane) for most premium gasolines is about 10 octane (+-1) then New Zeland premium with an 98 Research Octane rating would have an "Octane Index" of 93 -- which agrees with your experience -- both here and there. And 91 Research octane there could be compared with 86 Octane Index here -- although your poor performance may indicate that it could be even lower in Octane Index. But since they don't advise what the Motor Octane is for this 91 R gasoline, it's hard to tell.

Most of the price difference in gasoline between here ($2.50/G) and there ($6/G) is because of the much higher taxes you have there.

I agree with your comment about some Max owners going overboard on trying to get higher and higher octane fuel for their ride. Nissan says that for the best performance burn 91 Octane Index premium gasoline. It won't hurt to burn 1 to 3 Octane Index higher premium gasoline (than 91), but I certainly would not pay extra for that gasoline over a simple 91.