6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Interior LED Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 PM
gec

Interior LED Upgrade - Updated 9/11/05

Figured we can continue this with a new thread....OK --- so the screen is finished and he had a couple led's that fit the AC buttons....The rest of the bulbs were measured and order --- a whopping 70 total!!!!! Here are some pics

Old 09-03-2005, 01:15 AM

dude, that looks awesome. did you use the sticky to go through with the procedure? was it easy? how much did it cost total and how much time did it take?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Banned

Awesome man, cant wait to see everything done.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it looks nice. how long did it take for the led swap?
Old 09-03-2005, 07:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sweet.....did you cut the pocket out for the double din?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:37 AM

those blue led's made a huge difference. did you do it your self? where can you get those led's?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:21 AM
gec

Originally Posted by tototee999
dude, that looks awesome. did you use the sticky to go through with the procedure? was it easy? how much did it cost total and how much time did it take?

Thank you Tototee --- I showed my friend (I need to stop calling him my friend because I married his sister...lol) My brother-In Law the sticky when I asked him if he could do it --- he read about 2 threads and was like yeah this is easy and he had the bulbs that were listed in the sticky (he does custom audio/video electronic engineering for a living) So as far as using the sticky he didn't use it as a guide but I'm assuming its the same thing he did --- When we do the dash I'll print it out and see if its the same steps.

As far as being easy --- for him it was I didn't do anything but watch him and hold this and hold that...put this over here and get out of my light...hehehe

Total cost was free because he had the bulbs already --- I know he used the same bulbs that were in the sticky because he wrote down the part number and pulled them from his stock --- so I guess the screen bulbs cost the same as in the sticky

Total time was about 1 hour ---- he pulled the screen out of the dash in 10 minutes ---- put a bulb in to test it and then finished 40 minutes later --- so it was pretty quick.... I was surprised how fast the dash came apart and how quick the LED conversion was...

Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx
Awesome man, cant wait to see everything done
Thank you....me 2

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
it looks nice. how long did it take for the led swap?
An hour for him --- 2 Months - and 15 new screens if I did it...lol

Originally Posted by install30
sweet.....did you cut the pocket out for the double din?
That was done awhile ago --- They sell the dash piece pre-cut to fit it... I'll get you a link

Originally Posted by stunta666
did you do it your self? where can you get those led's?
I wouldn't have even attempted ,myself --- I'm not good with that stuff --- well he measured the rest of the bulbs from the dash and referred to his mouser catalog --- then went to mouser.com and read some specs ---- I got tired of looking at spec sheets so i went and got coffee --- when I came back he said it was all set and they were ordered ---- so I would say mouser but lemme check on that and also say this to everyone:

I'll get answers to all your ???? that I can't answer --from him---- Looking forward to seeing the full conversion ---- I can tell you this once you have the blue screen and its just been a half day --- its like having a new car...

Also I think the screen is the easiest part because the dash has 56 LED's and there not all the same size --- so I think that piece will be a little more time consuming

Old 09-03-2005, 09:32 AM

Thats nice lookin, even better is the setup you got with the double din head unit,. what kinda head unit is that and what can it do, like play movies, GPS, XM or Sirius radio???
Old 09-03-2005, 10:06 AM
gec

Originally Posted by SilverSL
Thats nice lookin, even better is the setup you got with the double din head unit,. what kinda head unit is that and what can it do, like play movies, GPS, XM or Sirius radio???
Thanks Silver --- The head unit is the Pioneer AVIC D1 --- Mine is wired up for Navigation, Rear View Cam, and cd/dvd changer.. The inputs are there for everything else like sat rad but I don't use it....got to my homepage to see shots of it upclose
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/10069

Think this comparison speaks volumes

Old 09-03-2005, 11:24 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

Looks great. Are the gages next on the list?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:35 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

wow, I seen the how to on that, but f-that i know I will fu*k that up somehow... looks good now make the gauges to match..
Old 09-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Yeah, unless I find somebody to do it for me - I ain't touching it.
Although it looks freaking awesome. Great mod man.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:19 PM
gec

Originally Posted by boone
Looks great. Are the gages next on the list?
Yeah --- I'm doing the whole interior --- every damn amber bulb is coming out...Its been bothering me since I bought the car --- we haven't looked at the ignition one or the pwr win/pwr door ones yet, but there going too

Originally Posted by tek-niq
wow, I seen the how to on that, but f-that i know I will fu*k that up somehow... looks good now make the gauges to match..
Your close enough to me --- take a look when its done --- if you like it -- I'll talk to him about doing it for you ---- I bought the reverse glow guages awhile back, but never put them on... I don't know I've seen pics of them installed and it looks cool, but they were $10 and I just have this feeling it'll be a $10 looking mod... I know he's got the led's for the guages so one or the other will happen... I just can't stand the orange anymore...lol

Originally Posted by mroleg
Yeah, unless I find somebody to do it for me - I ain't touching it.
Although it looks freaking awesome. Great mod man.
thanks bro --- and thanks again for your help on the wood grain ???? --- I'm 2 1/2 hours away from Manhattan --- I don't know where in NY you are, but again I can see if he wants to do some others ---- I mean it is a mod almost everyone wants ---- I guess we all keep going with blue but I suppose he could do any color... anyway thanks again and my next mod is going to be that wood grain ----- what you know bout switchin lanes on dat wood grain

Old 09-03-2005, 04:42 PM

oh yea I just noticed you are in prov... let me know, I'm feeling those blue lights..
Old 09-03-2005, 05:10 PM

that is nice nice nice !! i've got to get them like that...good job man !!

luigi
Old 09-04-2005, 12:30 PM

I love those LED's i got to get this done to my car those orange lights bother the hell out of me. I might try half white half blue. I just need to find someone that knows how to do it in Northern VA. any people you guys know ??
Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 PM
gec

Hey Everybody,

So here's the deal on the screen as far as colors go (because I got a request today for pink) the standard blue, green, white, are ok.... any other colors will most likely have to be specially ordered and may take a little longer....

You can e-mail me at graham2@***.net if you have any questions or want to make arrangements --- the dash conversion will be done soon --- then the gauges...then the misc stuff ....I'll get you all a price on that when its finished.....I can hardly wait to see it myself

Old 09-04-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by gec
Hey Everybody,

So here's the deal on the screen ---- $400 for the upgrade --- we'll supply all the LED's and warranty the workmanship ---- You decide whether you want bright or superbright LED's --- there will be a 2 day turn around max time if you need to mail the screen to us, because we know you don't want to be riding around with no screen --- if you live in the Northeast then its only a drive down here....

As far as colors go (because I got a request today for pink) the standard blue, green, white, are ok.... any other colors will most likely have to be specially ordered and may take a little longer....

You can e-mail me at graham2@***.net if you have any questions or want to make arrangements --- the dash conversion will be done by the end of the week --- I can hardly wait

cool ****.... show me the finish product, and I'll show you a max that needs this install..
Old 09-05-2005, 05:28 PM
gec

Couple more upgrades

Part 2 has commenced

Dome - Map - Floor Lights

Old 09-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Excellant Work

Great work you are doing here . Love the screen conversion job.

I did my interior lights as well used a number of different types of leds to get the effects needed . Put some quads and even two 8 led in my Roof Mounted DvD player lights. Gives an fluro white light effect with the slight blue tinge.

Replaced me number plate and parking lights with the Four clippers too..

Eights

Four clip spots

Fat output Sixes
Old 09-05-2005, 05:50 PM
gec

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
Great work you are doing here . Love the screen conversion job.

Thanx Black --- you got a pic with the fat output sixes???? I'd like to see that

Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 PM
gec

Map lights do the following:

1. Pull the plastic covering off. This plastic cover clips in on all four edges, so the best way to do this is to pull out one side carefully. Once one side is out the plastic should just come off with a jiggle. Don’t be afraid to use a little pressure, as it is somewhat durable.

2. You will see the 2 ugly amber Bulbs - simply rotate them out. To put a new one in you can rotate or clip it back into place. BE SURE the bulbs on the are facing downward, other wise you will not maximize the light – and it will really look stupid if one is in correct and the other is not.

Map light slit bulb – do the following

3. This change requires you to pull the map light cover from the roof of the car. First, open the sunglass holder - using a phillips head screw driver unscrew the bolt. Second. this cover is still attached by 4 clips placed in each of the four corners. Using a butter knife wedge the knife between the roof cover and the plastic housing in one corner as outlined and pull down. This may take a bit of muscle. Repeat the steps for each corner.

4. Disconnect the plug. You will see a black **** where the LED is attached too. Twist the **** to pull bulb out. Once you swap it out simply place the **** back in and give it a quarter twist to lock into place.

5. Reconnect the plug. Line up the cover. Pick a corner and using your fist bang it back into place. Repeat for other three corners.

Rear Dome Light

6. Using your fingers pull the cover from the roof. There is a black metal piece that covers the light housing. Pull this out and discard. Be careful, as it may be hot.

7. The Bulb's will be facing you. Pull the old ones out and replace. Again, ensure the bulbs are facing downward.

8. Replace the cover by lining it up and pushing it back into place.

Note: It would be a wise idea to turn your interior lights off while doing this procedure. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Congratulations on a much better looking interior!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2005, 08:48 PM

ok...i got a question. tis has been bothering me since i got my car. what is that little openning in between the map lights ?? light shines trough it when the headlights are on...it really doesnt seem to have any use...here it seems it is being refered to as "map light slit bulb " ?? whats is that ?? i will use one of the previously posted picstures just to explain my thing here...

luigi
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 PM

i used your own pictures to ilustrate my problem (curiosity) hope t doesnt bother you . thank you and btw...looks great !! waiting on the price for the dash led swap.

luigi

Originally Posted by gec

here you see it in between the map lights...

here is by itself...what is the point of it ??

Old 09-05-2005, 08:54 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
i used your own pictures to ilustrate my problem (curiosity) hope t doesnt bother you . thank you and btw...looks great !! waiting on the price for the dash led swap.

luigi

When it's really dark in your car you'll see that it illuminates the inside of your car, although pretty dim, that's what is does. My friend has an Audi and I noticed it has the same thing but it seems to put out more light...
Old 09-05-2005, 09:17 PM

how come the light for the ac button is still orange and the other ones are blue?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:07 AM

My pale blue period ... LOL

Here is my version of lighting up. The effect was to get a slight pale blue tinge to my lighting with these new LED which I hope comes out in the photos as they are in real life ( in fact they look more blueish in the photos)

Fat Output DVD roof console

Outside puddle light when you hit the remote or open doors

Number plate lighting

HID & park Lights

Can't do one with the hid high beams on cause it's blinding the camera and it's raining so aint movin the car out of the garage
Old 09-06-2005, 03:11 PM
gec

Originally Posted by EdRomo86
how come the light for the ac button is still orange and the other ones are blue?
Read the first line in the first post

what is that little openning in between the map lights ?? light shines trough it when the headlights are on...it really doesnt seem to have any use....here it seems it is being refered to as "map light slit bulb

The correct name for it is Console Light ---- Not sure if there is a specific use for it other than a courtesy light while in the cabin... Notthat it provides light or anything...lol

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
Here is my version of lighting up
ooohhh I like how that cabin glows.... see you have additional lighting on the sides that the american models don't have.....the rear of the car looks mean tooo

Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 PM

That screen is Sweet!!!! Great Mod!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by gec

The correct name for it is Console Light ----

Gec, what bulb type is used for that console light? I tried to take the plastic piece out but wasn't sure how to get it down, now that I know what to do I want to change mine out...
Old 09-06-2005, 05:19 PM
gec

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Gec, what bulb type is used for that console light?
Whats up J

Click this link: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...?product=OTHER

Copy and paste this part number in the search field

WLED 6-LED bulb

$2.99 and your problems gone

Old 09-06-2005, 05:25 PM
*moderator*

Perfect I have some extra ones of these I can use, gonna jump on it tonight...
I have amber and wht, we'll see how they look.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:30 PM
gec

gonna jump on it tonight...
I have amber and wht, we'll see how they look.
CooL -- Post some pics and if you don't mind check my writeup for accuracy so we can add to it if necessary...thanx bro --- now enough chattin get to it

Old 09-06-2005, 07:00 PM

When it's really dark in your car you'll see that it illuminates the inside of your car, although pretty dim, that's what is does. My friend has an Audi and I noticed it has the same thing but it seems to put out more light...
that damm light does not light up anything !! (imo ) i've seen the ones in the bimers and thats is something else !! the new jettas and the other one...thats nice...it would be nice if it really lit the interior...

but hey, after you put the led in there did it look like it does light the interior??

luigi
Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by gec
CooL -- Post some pics and if you don't mind check my writeup for accuracy so we can add to it if necessary...thanx bro --- now enough chattin get to it

Done, I went with white LED's and it's bright. Lights up my whole center console/armrest. I tried amber but it just wasn't that bright.
2 things, the stock light isn't LED, just reg. And you forgot to mention the center screw that holds the whole thing up in there. But yes the clips do hold it pretty tight, I was afraid I was going to break somethng for sure!!!
Pics coming soon...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
*moderator*

Got pics:
It's super bright...

Changed the alarm light from wht to red, I know it's hard to make out but bright as ----
Old 09-06-2005, 07:52 PM

damn, the oem light must suck cause everyone is changing them.......lol
Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 PM
gec

The white looks good --- it matches well with the map lights --- Seems like it lights better too --- I might have to swap mine out.... The blue doesn't give off any light other than it looks better than orange....but that white....hmmmmm....I'm gonna try it out tomorrow and see....

thanx for the check and balances.... feel free to copy and paste it with your pics so we get a nice clean write-up for others....

btw --- did you use the same bulb for the security light???

Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM
gec

that damm light does not light up anything !! (imo ) i've seen the ones in the bimers and thats is something else !! the new jettas and the other one...thats nice...it would be nice if it really lit the interior...

but hey, after you put the led in there did it look like it does light the interior??

luigi

Think Jsmith just solved it for ya bro ---- go with superbright white if you want light

Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM
gec

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
damn, the oem light must suck cause everyone is changing them.......lol

So when you coming down

Quick Reply: Interior LED Upgrade