6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Mom lost my spare keys to my MAX

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:23 AM

Mom lost my spare keys to my MAX

Just like the title says, my mom lost the spare keys with the keyless fob to my car the other day. Im a little worried about the fact that someone in my neighborhood found the keys and is planning to steal my car one night when im sleeping. Anywayz i called the dealer and they said itll cost a lot of money and labor to replace all the cylindars to the locks and ignition. What should i do? What also sucks is that my dad is a ******* and wont let me park inside the garage. Gosh this is frustrating. The good news is that i have full coverage on my car so if anything does happen i get a new one.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

if you can program another fob to the car, can't you delete a fob from the program?

I mean if you delete all the fobs right now and just program the one you have, then the other one won't work..

Is just a suggestion, cause i wouldn't know how to do that.. hopefully someone can help out with this idea.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Dude, what was your mom doing with your car keys anyway, sounds like one of the few instances where mom needs to get hit by a shoe...
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by 05MaXiMaMenG
Just like the title says, my mom lost the spare keys with the keyless fob to my car the other day. Im a little worried about the fact that someone in my neighborhood found the keys and is planning to steal my car one night when im sleeping. Anywayz i called the dealer and they said itll cost a lot of money and labor to replace all the cylindars to the locks and ignition. What should i do? What also sucks is that my dad is a ******* and wont let me park inside the garage. Gosh this is frustrating. The good news is that i have full coverage on my car so if anything does happen i get a new one.
Which dealer did you call? Superior Nissan' service dept. doesn't live up to its name. Check w/ Performance or other dealers. Ask the S/R what Tek said about deleting a keyfob.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:13 PM

My moms name is on the contract and she pays for the insurance, but i make the monthly payments for the car. Just in case i lost my keys she had the spare, and she uses my car on the weekends. But she had moved my car so we could mow the lawn and she left them somewhere and she lost them. RHmax i called Empire Nissan in Ontario, i got connections over there, and the service rep taht i know said the cheaper way to do it was to get a lock smith to rekey the cylinders of the ignition and locks. The other way was to have all the cylinders for every lock and the ignition replaced, which costs alot of money and labor. For now i will just refuse to park outside until something is resolved.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RHMax
Which dealer did you call? Superior Nissan' service dept. doesn't live up to its name. Check w/ Performance or other dealers. Ask the S/R what Tek said about deleting a keyfob.
I bought my car from the Superior Nissan a$$holes and I hate them. We nearly sued each other cuz they are fukcin son of a bzitches. Jesus I hate them. . . . . . . . There, I feel better.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Deus, tell us how you really feel. LOL
Old 10-25-2005, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I bought my car from the Superior Nissan a$$holes and I hate them. We nearly sued each other cuz they are fukcin son of a bzitches. Jesus I hate them. . . . . . . . There, I feel better.
DEUS, Fear your Anger... Or run with it...

Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
They do suck a big *******, as my neighborhood Nissan dealer.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:58 PM

How to deal with set of lost keys

Just go to the dealer and have your key and car ignition reset then reprogrammed. The keyfob you can program yourself, for instructions on how, go to www.courtesynissan.com. Enter the store and look at the page to buy the keyfob. The instructions are on this page. The reprogram for the key at the dealer will probally cost you around $65.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:01 AM
.org extraordinaire

i hate having all thease electronics sometimes for my car, i lost a set of keys for my OLDS 88 Delta Royal Broughm. FRIG THATS A LONG NAME FOR A CAR. Anyways, $8 later i had new keys and that was that.

Speaking of Courtesy Nissan,

# The Nismo radiator cap is a heavy duty radiator cap, which operates at 18.2 lbs (1.3 kg/cm) compared to 12.6 lbs (0.9 kg/cm) non-turbo and 16.8 lbs. (1.2 kg/cm) turbo Nissan OE(Original Equipment) stock caps. Made for vehicles that need more cooling than the stock radiator cap provides.
# Fits all Nissan and Infiniti vehicles manufactured from 1984 to present.

WTF.....

how does an radiator cap provide more cooling??

Thanks,

Kam
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 AM

I don't even have know where my spare key is for the max

Can I just have this one copied and buy a blank keyfob to program?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:22 PM

i'd be pretty mad
Old 10-26-2005, 11:14 PM

kamil - I think the term 'more cooling' is sort of a misnomer.

As I think I understand things, the 18 pound radiator cap means the coolant can reach a temp that would result in fluid escaping through the 12 pound cap, eventually resulting in overheating, but will still be retained by the 18 pound cap.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 PM

well i have a remote start alarm sitting in my room waiting to get installed. And since i work at Circuit City im going to get it installed tomorrow while i work. Ill try to get pics or the progress and shiet to update you guys on how it goes. BTW its the Python 881xp two way responder system.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I would just get the key reprogrammed. You don't have to change the cylinders unless you think they would use the key to get in and steal something. Johnny's idea is what would be a cheaper alternative. You can get new key fobs off of ebay all day for 9.995 to 14.95 very easy to program too.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:03 PM

well i have a remote start alarm sitting in my room waiting to get installed. And since i work at Circuit City im going to get it installed tomorrow while i work. Ill try to get pics or the progress and shiet to update you guys on how it goes. BTW its the Python 881xp two way responder system.

just in case you have not done the remore start yet ...

Tek-niq was right you can reprogram the keyfob you still have the programing for the lost one will not work anymore... check the stickies on how to they have instruction on how to program a keyfob...
Old 10-27-2005, 03:27 PM
wsu

Mom

My moms name is on the contract and she pays for the insurance, but i make the monthly payments for the car. Just in case i lost my keys she had the spare, and she uses my car on the weekends. But she had moved my car so we could mow the lawn and she left them somewhere and she lost them. RHmax i called Empire Nissan in Ontario, i got connections over there, and the service rep taht i know said the cheaper way to do it was to get a lock smith to rekey the cylinders of the ignition and locks. The other way was to have all the cylinders for every lock and the ignition replaced, which costs alot of money and labor. For now i will just refuse to park outside until something is resolved.
It's too bad your mom lost your keys, which I know is causing you inconvenience. It might also be inconvenient if her name wasn't on the contract (a lease? co-signed on the loan?). It might be further inconvenient if you had to pay your own insurance. Though I don't know your area for sure, I would speculate that bing in (urban?) CA and you being a young male, that the insurance cost is not insignificant. Hey, I'd probably be miffed some too if my mom lost my keys, but probably not very much or for very long if she was paying my insurance.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by wsu
It's too bad your mom lost your keys, which I know is causing you inconvenience. It might also be inconvenient if her name wasn't on the contract (a lease? co-signed on the loan?). It might be further inconvenient if you had to pay your own insurance. Though I don't know your area for sure, I would speculate that bing in (urban?) CA and you being a young male, that the insurance cost is not insignificant. Hey, I'd probably be miffed some too if my mom lost my keys, but probably not very much or for very long if she was paying my insurance.
What a bullsh!t response, since mommy is paying for insurance it is OK to be irresponsible with a 30K vehicle. It's thinking like that are the reason insurance cost are so high... Accidents do happen, and in this case it was obviously so, don't try and downplay or switch fingers since she is footing the bill for insurance, has nothing to do with it...
Old 10-27-2005, 03:46 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by chernmax
What a bullsh!t response, since mommy is paying for insurance it is OK to be irresponsible with a 30K vehicle. It's thinking like that are the reason insurance cost are so high... Accidents do happen, and in this case it was obviously so, don't try and downplay or switch fingers since she is footing the bill for insurance, has nothing to do with it...
What a spoiled brat!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:05 PM

Well im in a crappy neighborhood, La Puente to be exact. And i have like a point on my record for driving my motorcycle without insurance soooooo that jacked up my rate somewhat. Anywayz, im totally reliable with the payments, havent missed one since. On top of that ive been paying more than required.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
I don't even have know where my spare key is for the max

Can I just have this one copied and buy a blank keyfob to program?
Don't our keys have chips in them to start the car? The key for my 5th gen was > $50-60 (someone correct me). I'd think the 6th gen keys are atleast the same price.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Don't our keys have chips in them to start the car? The key for my 5th gen was > $50-60 (someone correct me). I'd think the 6th gen keys are atleast the same price.

The key itself isn't too expensive it is just the cost of re-doing the codes that cost. Check to see if some locksmith has the ability to do the program a lot of locksmiths are getting up to date with programming.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Or keys cost about $110 - 120, i had to get mine done for my remote start. Sux that they cost that much....
Old 10-28-2005, 10:52 AM

i just dropped off my car at my work to get the alarm installed ill update tonight with a possibility of pictures. I work in a few hours so i could periodically take pictures of the install. Right now im at my girlfriends house in the mean time. :-D
Old 10-28-2005, 03:10 PM
wsu

misunderstood?

Originally Posted by wsu
Originally Posted by chernmax
Chernmax, you may have misunderstood my point, which was that since mom is helping to pay some of the expenses to keep the car driveable (and she may have co-signed/guaranteed a loan or a lease), that 5MaXiMaMenG might not even have been able to drive a Maxima without her assistance. If this is the case, I would think her support would mitigate the frustration one might otherwise have for (her) losing one's keys. Perhaps 5MaXiMaMenG has the keys to his Maxima, keys that can be lost, only because of his mom's assistance. I'm not clear on how you draw the inference from my previous message that I was saying that it is OK to be irresponsible with a 30K vehicle. Certainly that was not the message I was wanting to state. Frankly, with respect to insurance it's not OK to be irresponsible with any vehicle, as insurance rates are reflective of all drivers in all vehicles.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by wsu
Chernmax, you may have misunderstood my point, which was that since mom is helping to pay some of the expenses to keep the car driveable (and she may have co-signed/guaranteed a loan or a lease), that 5MaXiMaMenG might not even have been able to drive a Maxima without her assistance. If this is the case, I would think her support would mitigate the frustration one might otherwise have for (her) losing one's keys. Perhaps 5MaXiMaMenG has the keys to his Maxima, keys that can be lost, only because of his mom's assistance. I'm not clear on how you draw the inference from my previous message that I was saying that it is OK to be irresponsible with a 30K vehicle. Certainly that was not the message I was wanting to state. Frankly, with respect to insurance it's not OK to be irresponsible with any vehicle, as insurance rates are reflective of all drivers in all vehicles.
Well, when you put it that way, it makes more sense, the other way you stated it (IMO) sounded like or was implied that he shouldn't b!tch since his mom pays the insurance and cosigned. What does any of that have to do with her irresponsible behavior of loosing a set of keys to a new 30K+car. Not flaming, it's just that one thing has nothing to do with the other...
Old 10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Banned

You came on here to make a thread and whine about what your mommy did with your keys.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:43 PM

Can't we all just get along. LOL