6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cheap incabin airfilter $11.80 each

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 PM

Cheap incabin airfilter $11.80 each

The place is only a few miles from my house. I may order a few and see. They have some other stuffs but not sure about their prices. I haven't changed mine (30kmiles and 18months)
http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewi...C+Cabin+Filter
Or pick the genuine filter for $20.84
http://www.drivewire.com/nissanparts...airfilter.html
Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 PM

a bit OT, but how often are we suppose to change the filter? never had a vehicle that utilizes one before.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:30 AM

I think 12months/12kmiles recommended. That's why I hated the prices. The dealer may charge ~$60 or $~30(if onsale) u do it yourself. I thought filers for indoor air-cleaner is expensive, the Max costs you too.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:34 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
a bit OT, but how often are we suppose to change the filter? never had a vehicle that utilizes one before.
you have to take apart the glove box wich is 7 screws in total, the box where the filter sits is behind there. you will see a marking that will say micro filter or so..
Old 02-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the links. Both are good prices. I need to get my in cabin replaced. I've been holding off because the dealer wants too much.

According to this previous thread, the best prices found were still higher.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=cabin

There were a couple of tips for changing it too

"Changing is not that hard, the procedure is in the manual. just remove the glove box door, a cover from the filter and...bam it's done

Flathead screwdriver worked for me. The flathead also helps removing the old filter. You also need to be careful to install the new filter just like the old one. It lays flat, resting on TOP of the two tabs you will see after removing the door."
Old 02-11-2006, 01:43 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
you have to take apart the glove box wich is 7 screws in total, the box where the filter sits is behind there. you will see a marking that will say micro filter or so..
you followed the in box instructions too?

I got to the 3rd screw and figured this ain't right... looked in the manual easy peasy like Apollos2 stated.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:19 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
you followed the in box instructions too?

I got to the 3rd screw and figured this ain't right... looked in the manual easy peasy like Apollos2 stated.
I actually took it apart when I had to go in to look at the lable on the ecu . learned my way to the filter...
Old 02-11-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze
For all those complaining about the price. You can get the genuine Nissan filter at these two places also.

1. http://www.leeparts.com/cat-1-57-524.html

2. http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima/a34_maint.html

One place is $0.10 cheaper. Both are $30.00

I've ordered all my parts from Courtesy....just found the Lee parts last week.
See Maxfan's links
Drivewire has them for $20.84
Old 02-11-2006, 05:13 PM

I just ordered 1 genuine + 1 generic filters (plus some other stuffs for my wife's Pathfinder, to go over $50 for free S/H). I will compare and post my finding later.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
Tek, are you kidding me, remove two plastic slide out clips under the glove box, open glove box and botton will drop down when pins are removed. Turn glove box in an angle (40%) to slide out of track, wire will suspend glove box when out.

Behind glove box, you will see cabin air filter access. Flat tip screwdriver to open. Slide old filter out, new in, reverse everything else to complete.

Recommended change interval is 20K miles, however if you live in a dry dusty climate, the sooner the better.

The owners/maintenance manual is your friend, could have saved you (and us) this whole thread...

Good Luck...
Old 02-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ooo, i need to do this soon.... thanks guys...........
Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 PM

How do you know if you have an incabin filter? I have an SE with everything except Navi...
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
How do you know if you have an incabin filter? I have an SE with everything except Navi...
Owners Manual is your friend. If you have a 2004-2006 Max, you have it...
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 PM

I just got the package today. It was fast 'cause they're in the same state. Drop-shipped out of Gardena. They back-order the Nissan filter, but shipped the generic one. Looks OK but I don't think it has carbon-activated stuff (how can you tell ?). The "NPN" brand of oilfilter is "Nippon". I think it's the same maker of our Nissan oilfilter ? For $5.13 a pop shipped to the door, not bad. It's dark outside, but I will try to replace the in-cabin filter now.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:11 PM

I just replaced the filter. This is the 1st time, so I be extra careful. The bottom 2 black plastic pins (more like a tab) needs to be turn counter-clockwise then force outward sideway -with your thumb. The two tabs on the filter cover needs a small flathead screwdriver.
But the filter just hangs loose in there, I see a lot of room for air to go around the filter. Not a tight fit, not even close. Just like it's built by a kid. However, the filter is pretty dirty with some small dried leaves. I guess one can just put a stack of paper towers in there and it can do a better job. I'm glad I only paid $11.80 for it. I will call the vendor tomorrow and see if I can just cancel the genuine filter they have on backorder.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:03 PM

So the aftermarket cabin air filter was the same size and loose fit as the original?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFan

Or pick the genuine filter for $20.84
http://www.drivewire.com/nissanparts...airfilter.html

Hey, thanks for the heads up, MaxFan! I almost stopped by my dealer to pick up the fliter for $54 plus tax, but will instead order the OEM from the place you mentioned in your post.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by lobewiper
Hey, thanks for the heads up, MaxFan! I almost stopped by my dealer to pick up the fliter for $54 plus tax, but will instead order the OEM from the place you mentioned in your post.
Yeah, I bought a couple of filters a few days ago. They should be here in a couple of days. I'll let you guys know about the quality, the OEM isn't all that expensive/high quality looking.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:25 PM

I bought 1 genuine and 1 generic. They both are exact same size as the original. I can't tell the difference in the paper material. I guess you can save the money and just buy the generic filter. By looking at the wordings on them, I even say they're all made by the same factory. But the generic one doesn't have a piece of plastic running in the middle, I guess to strenghthen the paper.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Banned

For those who changed theirs, does it honestly matter, can you tell?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:37 AM

Well it only stands to reason that if the filter is clogged up with crud it will reduce the amount of airflow through the vents. As a result you'll likely turn up the fan to a higher speed. May cause unneccessary noise in the cabin. Also the filter could possible retain some odours. For the few dollars it costs, why not change it.

CM
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
For those who changed theirs, does it honestly matter, can you tell?
Got mine yesterday. These look as cheap as the OEM, for less than half. I usually have my vents close anyway. If my allergies get worst, then I'll go back to OEM.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Good price I am odrdering mine today. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:17 PM

IMO, they were way OVER priced to begin with, my freakin Hoover has a superior filter at 1/4 the price. Glad to know the resources are coming alive. Hope the info becomes a sticky so it does not get lost...

Good Job....
Old 03-14-2006, 06:26 PM

They almost look like you can make them yourself. I'm gonna see if I can find the material.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by kdejour
They almost look like you can make them yourself. I'm gonna see if I can find the material.
Home Depot?

The funny thing is that they have the exact same writing on them, even same part number. Only missing the plastic spines.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:49 AM

I noticed the other day at Pep Boys that FRAM (I think) is now listing a replacement cabin filter in the catalog. The local PepBoys doesn't stock but I guess you could order it thru them.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Home Depot?

The funny thing is that they have the exact same writing on them, even same part number. Only missing the plastic spines.
I'm in home depot everyday I will be chekcing on it. If I is easy to build I will try and make some and sell them for as cheap as possible for all my org peeps. I'm gonna get the measurements and see if I can make it a litlle bigger to keep some of the air from going around. If can make them for cheaper I will run it for a few months and report the progess with pictures. I might just see if it can become a sticky if it's worth the cost of making your own. It looks like a real simple thing to do I build stuff everyday. Wish me luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by kdejour
I'm in home depot everyday I will be chekcing on it. If I is easy to build I will try and make some and sell them for as cheap as possible for all my org peeps. I'm gonna get the measurements and see if I can make it a litlle bigger to keep some of the air from going around. If can make them for cheaper I will run it for a few months and report the progess with pictures. I might just see if it can become a sticky if it's worth the cost of making your own. It looks like a real simple thing to do I build stuff everyday. Wish me luck.
Good luck. Those 3M or generic A/C filters might work. You can cut them to size and reenforce the sides w/ cardboard or something.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Good luck. Those 3M or generic A/C filters might work. You can cut them to size and reenforce the sides w/ cardboard or something.
Exactly my thought. I will get the ones that filter out the most dust and other allergens. I can't see a reason for it not to work if it performs the same function.