6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Technosquare ecu DYNO....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

That's a good deal, and I would jump on the opportunity. ^^^^^
Old 02-22-2007, 07:07 PM

I highly doubt that any dealers would be that friendly about doing this unless you know a service manager. When I called my local Nissan dealership asking for a price to install the ECU and program the keys, the service lady gave me a ***** fit saying, and I quote "you shouldn't mess with the ECU, because it can cause your motor to blow up and we can not guarantee the service.(all of this said while giving me extreme attitude)"
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM
briancopeland

Yeah, I saw that post earlier. Fortunately, in Atlanta we have around 8 dealers here (at least one is cool). My advice is make a friend and quit talking to "the service lady!?"

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
I highly doubt that any dealers would be that friendly about doing this unless you know a service manager. When I called my local Nissan dealership asking for a price to install the ECU and program the keys, the service lady gave me a ***** fit saying, and I quote "you shouldn't mess with the ECU, because it can cause your motor to blow up and we can not guarantee the service.(all of this said while giving me extreme attitude)"
Besides the attitude the b!tch gave, if you would know anything about business law you would know why.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Besides the attitude, if you would know anything about business law you would know why.
Next time you have legal trouble involving warranty laws contact this guy for more reliable info.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by briancopeland
You again, Nissan 6? Please go back to your own part of the forum. I think I owned a Maxima like yours back in 1995. I'll make a deal with you: Don't post in the 6th Generation Forum and I wont travel back in time and listen to Duran duran. Thanks!
?????? So just because I own a older car makes me less of a member.
Contact a mod if you have a problem with me or press the block button or PM me.
kthxbye
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM

You ask why dealers are strict about warranties. You can blame strict liablity and damaged warranty law in the united states.

Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act involving ligitigation in consumer products.

Also, Please read more about strict liability, before whining about dealerships warranty issues.

"Products liability claims are, in general, not based on negligence, but rather on a liability theory called "strict liability".

Rather than focus on the behavior of the manufacturer (as in negligence), strict liability claims focus on the product itself. Under strict liability, the manufacturer is liable if the product is defective, even if the manufacturer was not negligent in making that product defective. Because strict liability is a harsh regime for a manufacturer, who is forced to pay for all injuries caused by his products, even if he is not at fault..."

This transition occurred in the 1940's 1950's when state law started to transition, and move around the necessity for the consumer plantiffs to prove negligence agianst retails and manufactures.

Greenman v. Yuba Power Products, 59 Cal. 2d 57 (1963)

Lawsuit happy americans no longer need to prove:

A basic negligence claim consists of proof of

1. a duty owed,
2. a breach of that duty,
3. an injury, and
4. that the breach caused the plaintiff's injury.

They can just sue away at "defective" products!

So next time you cry about dealership warranties, read up on US legal code reformation in the 1950's pushed by liberal states on the west coast, and the general shift to strict liability in the US common law system.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 11:07 PM

I approve of post #528
Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM

You again, Nissan 6? Please go back to your own part of the forum (or go to bed). I think I owned a Maxima like yours back in 1995. I'll make a deal with you: Don't post in the 6th Generation Forum and I wont travel back in time and listen to Duran duran. Thanks!
If you travel back in time and listen to Duran Duran, can I also travel back in time and abort your fetus? That way I won't have to read your ****ty posts.

PS: I would have been rocking out to New Order or The Smiths over Duran Duran anyway
Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Just a recommendation to some...

Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 AM

wow...............I never said anything about "warranty," I said that they wouldn't be able to GUARANTEE their service...............oh ya, I forgot, Nick you are majoring in "Business" at NIU, so you MUST know everything

Please stop wasting space in a valuable thread
Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 AM

wow...............I never said anything about "warranty," I said that they wouldn't be able to GUARANTEE their service...............oh ya, I forgot, Nick you are majoring in "Business" at NIU, so you MUST know everything

Please stop wasting space in a valuable thread
Reffering to the your first sentence, that was jason that posted that, not me.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by razster
You ask why dealers are strict about warranties. You can blame strict liablity and damaged warranty law in the united states.

Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act involving ligitigation in consumer products.

Also, Please read more about strict liability, before whining about dealerships warranty issues.

"Products liability claims are, in general, not based on negligence, but rather on a liability theory called "strict liability".

Rather than focus on the behavior of the manufacturer (as in negligence), strict liability claims focus on the product itself. Under strict liability, the manufacturer is liable if the product is defective, even if the manufacturer was not negligent in making that product defective. Because strict liability is a harsh regime for a manufacturer, who is forced to pay for all injuries caused by his products, even if he is not at fault..."

This transition occurred in the 1940's 1950's when state law started to transition, and move around the necessity for the consumer plantiffs to prove negligence agianst retails and manufactures.

Greenman v. Yuba Power Products, 59 Cal. 2d 57 (1963)

Lawsuit happy americans no longer need to prove:

A basic negligence claim consists of proof of

1. a duty owed,
2. a breach of that duty,
3. an injury, and
4. that the breach caused the plaintiff's injury.

They can just sue away at "defective" products!

So next time you cry about dealership warranties, read up on US legal code reformation in the 1950's pushed by liberal states on the west coast, and the general shift to strict liability in the US common law system.

Thanks
AAAAh, this brings back memories of my first year in law school in Torts class.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
?????? So just because I own a older car makes me less of a member.
Contact a mod if you have a problem with me or press the block button or PM me.
kthxbye
My sincere apologies.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 PM

My sincere apologies.
yes accepted PM sent
Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

When can we start talking about the ECU again
Old 02-24-2007, 04:56 PM
briancopeland

So, I've been wanting to do the TS ECU reprogram, but hate the risk of flying my car's computer to the West Coast and being without my ride for 3 days. Because the ECU's are coded TS can't just swap ECU's with you (see link to TS site earlier in the thread that explains exactly why).

HOWEVER, I have a buddy who works at a Nissan dealer and he's going to help me out in BIG BIG way. He's going to report that my ECU is dead, give me another one under warranty, which I will send to TS. He said he'll swap the new TS with my old one when I get it back, make it right in the computer (e.g. code my keys to the ECU) and then send my old one back to Nissan (shoot, it is half dead if you think about it). Pretty cool? I think so.

I'm sure that there are other dealers willing to help in this way (or some way). The really cool thing is that there is NO risk of me losing my ECU and if anything does go wrong (e.g. with the key coding) he can make it right. He also pointed out that I'll get to ride my car with the new one a half an hour after riding it with the old one, which will better allow the butt dyno to work it's magic
Verified yesterday with Technosquare that this strategy would indeed work. I'll keep you all updated.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 AM

Is there anyone who doesnt live in cali the has a TS ECU reflash and got it programmed right the very first time??
Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 AM

What do you mean, "the first time?"
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 AM

What do you mean, "the first time?"
without having any CEL, SES, etc or any problems whatsoever. properly tuned the first time TS sends it back to the owner.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 AM

How many people have experienced that?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by shawndon
without having any CEL, SES, etc or any problems whatsoever. properly tuned the first time TS sends it back to the owner.
Me

TEK stirred up a lot of confusion early on when his AFR wasn't what he wanted, which was too lean below 3k RPM. I, on the other hand, was fine with it since I can hardly get any traction with TCS off from standing with little throttle input.

Deus 's CC doesn't work above 80, mine works at 85.

I don't think TS got enough responses from 6th gens to take us seriously as a group.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 AM

So cruise control and possible SES light is the negative possibilities of this mod?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Me

TEK stirred up a lot of confusion early on when his AFR wasn't what he wanted, which was too lean below 3k RPM. I, on the other hand, was fine with it since I can hardly get any traction with TCS off from standing with little throttle input.

Deus 's CC doesn't work above 80, mine works at 85.

I don't think TS got enough responses from 6th gens to take us seriously as a group.
What will this lean condition do? Make it slow to take off and bog down below 3K? and everything above 3K is enhanced?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:12 AM

There is no bog whatsoever. Like RH pointed out, with the TCS off, its very hard to get traction because its so responsive. In fact, the low end torque was increased so much that its more responsive there, than at higher RPMS, I believe. I also understand that the 350Z program advances the timing quite a bit where one online magazine recommended splashing the tank with 100 octane to keep the knock sensor from being triggered. I have done this (there is some 100 oct. in my tank now) and notice no pinging and seemingly more power.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

TS ECU + 100 octane = .

I've noticed this as well. I just have to verify the timing advance via data logging
Old 02-25-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
TS ECU + 100 octane = .

I've noticed this as well. I just have to verify the timing advance via data logging
I agree!!! Its great, although some believe 100 octane does not make a difference. I think for another $10 extra in adding a few gallons of the 100, its worth it.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

It is, and I will post the data to PROVE it.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
There is no bog whatsoever. Like RH pointed out, with the TCS off, its very hard to get traction because its so responsive. In fact, the low end torque was increased so much that its more responsive there, than at higher RPMS, I believe. I also understand that the 350Z program advances the timing quite a bit where one online magazine recommended splashing the tank with 100 octane to keep the knock sensor from being triggered. I have done this (there is some 100 oct. in my tank now) and notice no pinging and seemingly more power.
Will I get the same results from the flashed maxima ECU program? I'm trying to figure out which will be less of a hassle the ECU or just an SAFC NEO.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:16 PM

In order to raise 93 octain by adding 100 you will need to add more than just $10 worth. 100 octain was $5.99 when I was using it (over 2 years ago)before I got alky injection for my Buick. Adding 1 or 2 gallons to a full tank (the Buick's tank has the same capacity) will do next to nothing to raise the 93. What's your target octain? You can make homebrew by mixing 10 gals of 93 octain with 3 gals of Xylene plus 3oz of Marval Mystry Oil to 100 octain. Ran that for a year before a local Sunoco got 100 ul. BTW DON'T use higher octain with lead! You'll kill your O2 sensors in minutes. The higher Octain will prevent knock but unless you have a scan tool that can measure knock you really can't tell if you are tickling the knock sensor or not. You also can't tell where the higher octain rating needs to be to stop the knock if your just winging it adding a gallon here or there. Detonation will beat the **** out your bearings and it can happen silently. If it was me I'll make sure I got a scan tool to read the parameters and by trial and error figure out the octain needed to get the most out of this reflash. It may be more octain than you think especially if the highest octain you can get is 91.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pronto
In order to raise 93 octain by adding 100 you will need to add more than just $10 worth.
I said $10 EXTRA, which was about 4 gallons. Four gallons normally is $3 per gallon. The 100 cost $7 per gallon, so its $3 per gallon extra. I put in 3 or 4 gallons so its $9-12 extra. Also I didnt fill it up. I had about 3/4 of a tank, so there was about 14 gallons or so in the tank when I added the 100.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by shawndon
Will I get the same results from the flashed maxima ECU program? I'm trying to figure out which will be less of a hassle the ECU or just an SAFC NEO.
The Maxima program is based on 350Z program that's tuned for our cars because of some of our stock ECU's limitations, some may argue other wise. SAFC/VAFC will not do everything TS reflash will, but you CAN tune it yourself and have a couple of settings programmed.

Which is less of a hassle is up to you. For TS, get AFR print out and send in w/ ECU; then they send it to you. You're out of your car a few days.

With SAFC, you'd need to get tuned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's best done on a dyno by someone who knows what they're doing. This can cost $$.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
The Maxima program is based on 350Z program that's tuned for our cars because of some of our stock ECU's limitations, some may argue other wise. SAFC/VAFC will not do everything TS reflash will, but you CAN tune it yourself and have a couple of settings programmed.

Which is less of a hassle is up to you. For TS, get AFR print out and send in w/ ECU; then they send it to you. You're out of your car a few days.

With SAFC, you'd need to get tuned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's best done on a dyno by someone who knows what they're doing. This can cost $$.
Yeah I'm leaning more torward the TS reflash but I'm going to wait until my greddy catback comes and drive around to let the ECU learn the new mods then get an A/F dyno and go from there also I just ordered the y-pipe today I just wanted to find out what I'm getting into.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I said $10 EXTRA, which was about 4 gallons. Four gallons normally is $3 per gallon. The 100 cost $7 per gallon, so its $3 per gallon extra. I put in 3 or 4 gallons so its $9-12 extra. Also I didnt fill it up. I had about 3/4 of a tank, so there was about 14 gallons or so in the tank when I added the 100.
Um, adding 3 or 4 gallons of 100 to 14 or so gallons of 93 will raise your octain to about 96. That may or may not be enough for your application. Only way to know is with a scan tool.
BTW forget those stupid octain boosters. They leave an orange residue on the valves that's ugly and do squat for raising the level.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 PM

The TS ECU does not throw SES lights or create any lean condition. The CAI, headers/Y-pipe combo does that. TS can only adjust your A/F to a point, even with the A/F chart. To properly adjust the A/F, TS would need your car on a dyno. An Apexi SAFC/NEO controller or similar is probably the best approach to adjust the air/fuel ratio.

The ECU learning Shawndon mention is about short term/long term trims. Whenever the A/F is too far off the pre-programmed baseline (air leak, mods, high mileage, etc), these trims are watermarks that the ECU will use, a slow moving average, to keep the A/F near preset values. Go too rich, or too lean (like me) and you get SES P0171/P0174. You need 2 drive cycles before the ECU has fully learned the new setup (engine temp below 160, warm up and a few miles of driving).

Tek-Nik got about 15+ hp from the TS ECU flash. Remember, the throttle will now open 100% at WOT and you get a more aggressive advance timing curve. My TS ECU was also too lean at the low end.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM

lean sounds bad! not enough fuel into motor, but i'm sure that it's no where near fatal, because if it were then there would probably be a safety pre-caution built into the ECU called a "lean cut"
Old 02-26-2007, 09:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Lean is indirectly related to temperature, so there is a said 'cut-off'. But it has to do with the ECT rather than the AFR.

And yes, too lean can be fatal.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Running too lean all the time will cause detonation which will detroy the engine in no time flat; hammered bearings, cracked ring lands, burnt pistons, etc.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 PM

The engine never overheated but the CATs and exhaust were generating an incredible amount of heat at idle. On the dyno at WOT, the ECU flatlined the A/F at 18.0 up to 5K, then back to 16.0 at 6k and back up to 18.0 after. Not much of an ECU fail safe except the SES light. I also had P0300 codes about general misfiring. That's how lean it was at WOT.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 PM
.org extraordinaire

whats the final word on this

has anyone confirmed if this thing actually does all people say it does, I will send mine away for tunning but frig i dont want to have a mirage of problems after im done.

Kamski

Quick Reply: Technosquare ecu DYNO....