6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fuel economy and Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Teamfoster
Has Anyone filled up the tank then drove till almost empty. Then fill up and divide your miles driven by the gallons of gas used? How does that compare to what the trip computer tells you?

thanks for the info.

-Adam
The computer is a liar. It will tell you that you have 20-30 miles left to empty when the reserve light goes on. Yet when you go fill up, the car only takes 16-17 gallons, out of a 20 gallon tank. Ergo, you have at least 3 gallons, around 70 miles the way the crow drives.

I got tired of listening to the car last week and drove 30+ miles after the DTE went to "*". When I got to the gas station the car only took 17 gallons (again). It's good, but it's also bad, because you don't know how much gas you really have. When my other car says I have 1 gallon left, I don't **** around and run straight for the gas station. When this car says I have 30 miles left, I probably have 100.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:23 AM

Good info there, I was wondering about that, with the tank size and all. My Grand Cherokee was the same way, you could drive around for quite a while on "0 miles to empty."

So who wants to drive around until it really is empty? (Thought I've heard it's bad to do that)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did anyone notice that the person who originated this post also mentioned that he did not notice any performance increase with his CAI. Sorry but I installed the AEM CAI....the long one that goes down in front of the car near the grownd. And I definately have noticed a performance increase. Ok, I have also installed the UR UDP and removed the resonator and replaced it with custom piping from the cat back to the rear stock mufflers. It's so fast that it's sick! Next mods: Lowering springs, adjustable shocks, cross drilled rotors and carbon fiber brake pads. CE Y pipe, Custom intake manifold and maybe a chip when it's finally available...oh and I forgot the RSB, I hear that's sick too!
As a highway car it's like a cruise missle. It's no slouch in the 0 -60 or 1/4 mile. I'm sure it can take on an 06 stock Mustang GT and hold it's own. The Tang is the same weight as the Max has a lot of aluminum and a smaller engine. The Max has an Aluminum Hood and Trunk, Engine, suspension and tranny. What a fabulous car the Max would be if it had rear biased ATESA AWD and that 4 wheel steering system Nissan developed a few years back. Just learn to drive without the VSC off: it makes all the difference.
Though you would be surprised how many cars the Max can smoke. Just don't race though unless it's at a santioned track. Just enjoy the ride and drive safe!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Banned

Im sure it couldnt take on a stock mustang gt for anything...thats a little outta this car's league. If we are talking fuel economy, its got the mustang beat though.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:11 AM

League?

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Im sure it couldnt take on a stock mustang gt for anything...thats a little outta this car's league. If we are talking fuel economy, its got the mustang beat though.

Look at the Stock Mustang GT 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers and check out the some of the member modded Max numbers...I think you'll be surprised. Some members are getting 13 + sec 1/4 times. Mustangs already have a type of CAI. As for 0 -60 6.7 seconds is not hard for Modded Max to beat.
Stock G35's do 0 - 60 in 5.8 secs.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:37 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Did anyone notice that the person who originated this post also mentioned that he did not notice any performance increase with his CAI. Sorry but I installed the AEM CAI....the long one that goes down in front of the car near the grownd. And I definately have noticed a performance increase. Ok, I have als................................
As a highway car it's like a cruise missle. It's no slouch in the 0 -60 or 1/4 mile. I'm sure it can take on an 06 stock Mustang GT and hold it's own. The Tang is the same weight as the Max has a lot of aluminum and a smaller engine. The Max has an Alumi........................blahblahblah all good stuff
Yeah it is a fast car with mods, but how does it sound with that resonator removed and stock mufflers? Got any vids and underneath pics? And we do have a chip. Contact Technosqare Inc or ask Tek-Niq about his mod.

On a side note, your roads suck @ss in Montreal, I was just there over the weekend and I wanted to shoot my self. Only pleasurable drive was around Mt.Royal, I went there for a night cruise just to give her a run for her money on the twists. I loved it. The only nice piece of ashphalt in MOREAL
Thanks bro.
Kam
Old 05-02-2006, 02:37 PM

2006 Ford Mustang at the Track:

1/4 Mile ET: 14.021
1/4 Mile MPH: 99.158
1/8 Mile ET: 9.087
1/8 Mile MPH: 78.816
0-60 Foot ET: 2.191
Timeslip Scan:
Temperature F: 86.0
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Mustang
Car Type: GT
Car Year: 2006
Old 05-02-2006, 02:41 PM

Man do they suck!

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Yeah it is a fast car with mods, but how does it sound with that resonator removed and stock mufflers? Got any vids and underneath pics? And we do have a chip. Contact Technosqare Inc or ask Tek-Niq about his mod.

On a side note, your roads suck @ss in Montreal, I was just there over the weekend and I wanted to shoot my self. Only pleasurable drive was around Mt.Royal, I went there for a night cruise just to give her a run for her money on the twists. I loved it. The only nice piece of ashphalt in MOREAL
Thanks bro.
Kam
If you want nice roads you can go up north about 1/2 hour from Montreal along 328 just north of Lachute on the way to Morin Heights. That's where the famous recording studio is located. Alternately the highway going to Vermont by way of Stanstead through the Eastern Townships is incredibly beautiful, especially in the fall with all the colors screaming! I was in Toronto about a month ago and the ETR is a real nice stretch of Highway. I bet 6 - 9 Am Sunday's in July are real fun!

I will open a car domain site this week-end and try to get some pics up. Maybe even a video with my Digital Camera. The car sounds a bit like a quieter G35 Coupe once it's warm. 2nd and 3rd gear (automatic) is scary fast and loud!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Xorbitman; Motortrend has the 6 speed Max at 0-60 in 6.3 sec, 1/4 mile 14.8 at 97MPH. This is with no mods. If bolt ons really do add HP, you should knock a half second off your 0-60 time with a few bolt ons (intake, exhaust/y-pipe, chip, and lightweight pulley).
Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Even more. If I'm not mistaken are there not members here that ran 1/4 in 13.5? The chip with the NA mods should be able to do it. Take out the full size spare. Then max out on the Octane. 1/8th of a tank of fuel, and tune the tire pressure properly. VSC out of course. I don't think Mustangs have a full size spare. The point is all that performance with the gas mileage of a six...not a gas guzzling V8! Plus a much better quality product in my opinion. Just look at the lousy resale values of North American cars after year 2!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Newbie just Registered

I'm confused... Have the Max replaced Camaro as the other Pony car? Should we focus on beating a Mustang? Not that we can't go heads up against them, but a direct competitor? There are other cars that we should compare ours with or against.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:07 AM
MDS

Sorry I’m getting into this conversation late. If we are still talking about comparative performance against a Mustang GT, I think it is a little absurd to say the Maxima is in the same performance category. A 6-speed Mustang GT is in the upper 13s (on regular fuel, NO modifications). I’m not saying a modified Maxima can’t beat that, but only after someone has sunk a ton of money into the car. And that changes everything. The performance is no longer a reflection of the car but rather a reflection of the owner’s ability to modify it. If a talented Maxima owner modifies his car to pull a 12 second quarter, does that mean we should compare our Maxima to a Corvette? A modified Maxima is a wonderful thing. It just needs to be viewed in perspective.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:42 PM

I would not call $1k to $2k a ton of money. The point is not so much a comparison between the Max and the Mustang as it is between Performance and gas mileage. A V6 outperforming a V8 in almost every aspect: size, weight, noise, gas mileage, emissions etc. It's more of a tribute to Nissan's engine design I guess. Although I agree, we need to keep things in perspective.

So we could compare the Max with the newest upscale sedan to hit the market, the Licoln Zephyr. More expensive than a fully loaded Max less the Nav and less power. The interior did not appeal to me at all and although the design is nice it's not as modern as a MAX.