6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Hit Something On The Road.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:17 AM

Hit Something On The Road.

Worst Day Of My Life.

Imma Put It In The Bodyshop Next Week.

And I Am Getting Something Else Done To The Car.

It's A Surprise.

For Now Imma Be Driving My 240.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:56 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

sorry to hear that, what broke?
Old 05-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Banned

Could you possibly provide less details? This thread is useless
Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 AM

and stop making each new word start with a cap letter.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:29 AM

pics of the aftermath?

Sorry to hear about that!
Old 05-27-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jman7777

and stop making each new word start with a cap letter.
Yeah, and who's this "Imma" person who's doing all this stuff? If she put the Maxima in the bodyshop, I don't know if I'd let her drive the 240 ...
Old 05-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote: 'Worst Day Of My Life'.

Unless the 'something' he hit in the road was a living breathing creature, SEXIMAX04 has lived a sheltered life indeed.

If he had experienced having his 19 year old army hooch buddy die beside him in a rice paddy in Korea, or had his 34 year old next-door neighbor (a great friend who had two beautiful preschool daughters) die in his arms on a sunny Sunday afternoon, he might feel there are worse days possible.

I am disappointed by even the smallest ding on the side of my beloved Maxima, not to mention having a deer fall from the sky (hit hard and knocked into the air by a vehicle going the other way) onto my Maxima hood. But I hope to never see another day as bad as some I have had in the past. As much as we love our Maximas, they can be either fixed or replaced. A human life cannot.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

Sexima04:

Have you ever killed a man? Have you ever had a man die in your arms?

Old 05-29-2006, 10:20 AM

The suspense is killing me!!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:38 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Unless the 'something' he hit in the road was a living breathing creature, SEXIMAX04 has lived a sheltered life indeed.

If he had experienced having his 19 year old army hooch buddy die beside him in a rice paddy in Korea, or had his 34 year old next-door neighbor (a great friend who had two beautiful preschool daughters) die in his arms on a sunny Sunday afternoon, he might feel there are worse days possible.

I am disappointed by even the smallest ding on the side of my beloved Maxima, not to mention having a deer fall from the sky (hit hard and knocked into the air by a vehicle going the other way) onto my Maxima hood. But I hope to never see another day as bad as some I have had in the past. As much as we love our Maximas, they can be either fixed or replaced. A human life cannot.
Korea? Damn sir, respect.

How did your friend get killed?

SEXIMA04 what did you hit? Drive over the mother in law?

Kam
Old 05-29-2006, 12:51 PM

I believe this statement puts things in perspective. Thanks Light for reminding us that there are things AND people far more significant than our beloved Max's.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Who can take these sentances seriously anyway? I hope english is his second language. This thread should be removed or else new members of the org are going to think maxima drivers are illeterates.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

From Sexima04's perspective, maybe it was the worst day in HIS life...

Car's can be fixed though...
Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

If this is the worst day of your life. You are gonna have high blood pressure in no time. Hope you get her fixed to your liking. There are gonna be a bunch of things that will make this look minor thru-out your life.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:28 PM

For those who asked (and thanks for the nice thoughts), my friend was killed by a sniper AFTER the peace accord had been signed.

It was probably our fault, as we were trying to sneak a new experimental doppler radar onto this little hill inside the DMZ in order to be able to track the main tank force that North Korea had deployed in the Kaesong Corridor. By keeping track of the exact position of each tank, we would know where any attack would cross the DMZ.

In the other example I gave, my friend (and next-door neighbor) who died on that beautiful Sunday afternoon had an aorta rupture near his heart. I performed CPR/mouth-to-mouth for fifteen minutes as his wife and two preschool daughters watched and cried. The paramedics kept up the CPR all the way to the Emergency Room, but the doctor later said Ray was dead within five or ten minutes after the aorta broke, and there was nothing anyone could have done to save him. A lot of hearts were broken that day.

I probably should not have posted such a serious diatribe in response to a young person who was clearly distraught over damage to what is probably his first Maxima; a car he probably dreamed of having for years.

I tend to be too serious around Memorial Day. I have lost so many friends in military service over the years. One little thing which gives me tremendous satisfaction is to walk up to the restaurant cashier any time I see a person in military uniform ready/waiting to pay and tell the cashier in a polite but firm voice that the military person's meal is on me. I have yet to have a single one to fail to express gratitude and appreciation for that little deed. It helps re-affirm their faith that America appreciates its brave defenders.

I apologize for this long non-Maxima dialogue. I promise to hold this sort of non-Maxima stuff down henceforth. There are other boards for such things.

I am now cruising my dealer's back lot every few days. He always seems to have several of each new model year Maxima arrive a week or two before the official 'release'. I will post it on the '07 thread as soon as I see an '07.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 AM

Light,

I know I am not alone on this:

Your age, experience and wisdom give you a trump card to throw down ANY time, on ANY thread!
We have A LOT to learn from you. Your 'rantings' are hardly just that. I know that I have learned from you and your past trials!

Thank you as well for your concern for the youngin' that was distraught over his car. As well, there are certainly more important things to be concerned with in the broad spectrum of things. There's a balance there.

When/If my husband and I get the blessed opportunity to meet you, (afterall, we live in Greenville) we will take you to dinner ANYWHERE you chose, at our expense!
Thank you for your service both on and off the field!

-Swee-
Old 05-30-2006, 05:57 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Light,

I know I am not alone on this:

Your age, experience and wisdom give you a trump card to throw down ANY time, on ANY thread!
We have A LOT to learn from you. Your 'rantings' are hardly just that. I know that I have learned from you and your past trials!

Thank you as well for your concern for the youngin' that was distraught over his car. As well, there are certainly more important things to be concerned with in the broad spectrum of things. There's a balance there.

When/If my husband and I get the blessed opportunity to meet you, (afterall, we live in Greenville) we will take you to dinner ANYWHERE you chose, at our expense!
Thank you for your service both on and off the field!

-Swee-
Eloquently put ma'am.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Who can take these sentances seriously anyway? I hope english is his second language. This thread should be removed or else new members of the org are going to think maxima drivers are illeterates.

Blackmaxx, I can't resist. Unless you were kidding, you should know that the correct spellings for the two words highlighted above are

sentences and

illiterate

Reminds me of the old saying about throwing rocks when you're in a glass house.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Blackmaxx, I can't resist. Unless you were kidding, you should know that the correct spellings for the two words highlighted above are

sentences and

illiterate

haha, I Think Its Because He Starts Every Word With A Capitol Letter.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

sentences and

illiterate

Like it say's in my Sig...

"Be advised you have the right to remain ignorant, anything you say, may and will be quoted"
Old 05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
KC's FINEST

So where's the pictures sexima...?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Eloquently put ma'am.

Thank you very much!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 PM

Swee - Thanks a bunch. Among other places, we are looking at Toccoa, Walhalla, Saluda, Brevard and Tryon as our last retirement home. Any of those would allow us to drive to your front door in less than an hour in spring of 2008 in our Avalon-beating silver 310 HP 2009 Maxima SL with AWD and (sorry, Mike_TX) CVT.

Had to somehow turn this into a Maxima post. I have bent the (absolutely necessary) rules here too far already. And thanks again.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:00 AM

You're truly welcome dear!

Hug the Bride and pass along our invite please!

Maxima thread hmmm? How about that car? What's the damage?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Light,

You shouldn't apologize for what you said.

You have earned the right to say whatever, whenever and
wherever you want!

Regarding your next door neighbor, He most likely had a rare condition
called Marfan Syndrome. There was nothing you could have done for
him.

I thank you (and all our service men and women) for your service.

God Bless,

MC
Old 05-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Light,

You shouldn't apologize for what you said.

You have earned the right to say whatever, whenever and
wherever you want!

Regarding your next door neighbor, He most likely had a rare condition
called Marfan Syndrome. There was nothing you could have done for
him.

I thank you (and all our service men and women) for your service.

God Bless,

MC
Old 05-31-2006, 11:57 AM

spring of 2008 in our Avalon-beating silver 310 HP 2009 Maxima SL with AWD and (sorry, Mike_TX) CVT.
Will that be full-time AWD, or electronic, on-demand variable AWD that directs the torque to the wheel(s) with the best grip? I hope it routes some of the power to the rear at all times, or that 310hp is gonna generate some evil torque steer that even your CVT can't control!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:56 PM

Sexima, give us some info because this thread has been Jacked and has nothing to do about you or your ride anymore...

Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 AM

Thanks a lot, michaelcoletti. But rules are there for a reason, and I agree with the mods that we should pretty much stick to Maxima talk here. I have wandered badly.

sexima04 - Despite our jibes and putdowns here, we really do feel your pain, and would like to know what happened. We would also like to know about the 'surprise' you mentioned. Your list of mods is noteworthy; Do you have a pic from before the 'recent unpleasantness' you would care to post?

Mike_TX - I really have no idea which way Nissan will choose to go, but do feel they will have some sort of AWD in the 7th gen. A full-time AWD means that not only do the outer diameters of tires on the same axle have to be very nearly the same (true on all vehicles, especially the drive wheels), but the outer diameter of the front tires has to be very nearly the same as the outer diameter of the rear tires (only true on full-time AWD vehicles).

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in Nissan's design department . . .
Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Banned

Ok so im used to having a spell check when I type...What really gets me was that almost every sentence is a fragment, and the caps, and the fact none of the info tells us anything about what happened. So, like, wtf?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:08 AM

Mike_TX - I really have no idea which way Nissan will choose to go, but do feel they will have some sort of AWD in the 7th gen. A full-time AWD means that not only do the outer diameters of tires on the same axle have to be very nearly the same (true on all vehicles, especially the drive wheels), but the outer diameter of the front tires has to be very nearly the same as the outer diameter of the rear tires (only true on full-time AWD vehicles).
Hmmmm. I guess I could be rude and ask what that has to do with the price of eggs, but ... aren't the outer diameters of both front and rear tires pretty much the same now? That is to say, Maximas aren't - to my knowledge - fitted with different-sized wheels/tires like many cars are these days. So that wouldn't be a limiting factor.

I was of course being facetious in the earlier reply, but to be serious (and on-topic) for a moment, if the Maxima DOES get AWD of some sort in the next redesign, I would prefer it be electronically-controlled "part-time" AWD, such that the transfer of power would take place only as needed for traction, weight transfer, yaw control, etc. Full-time AWD systems have some nasty habits, like the little stutter-dance they do when making a tight turn, and they are also gas hogs, since they are heavier and a lot of machinery has to be turning all the time.

Other than for people in snow-prone areas, I believe AWD is huge overkill, and a really inefficient way of dealing with a torque-steer "problem". Sure, it affords a bit of advantage in dry-weather traction, too, but only in pretty extreme driving situations ... not day-to-day driving. The cure to FWD's problems isn't to add complexity - it's probably just to go back to RWD!
Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 PM

so where did you get your eggs from holy crap my eggs must have been preboiled..... they smell like rotten a** cream.....
Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 PM
KC's FINEST

NISMO, PLEASE make this thread stop...
Old 06-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Light,

Just to set the record straight, there never was a peace accord or treaty signed with North Korea. There was an armistice or an agreement by both sides to temporarily end hostilities and put down the weapons. Technically the two sides are still in a state of war. Many a Canadain and Turk have died defending South Korea side by side with the USA. God bless them all! Light, I respect you and I feel we are all priveledged to have someone with your wisdom and courage amongst our Forum. As a proud Canadian I would like to say that people like you are the reason Canadians are also proud to call Americans our closest cousins!

As for Sexima...I would like to know what happened and can you give us a clue about what you're up to?

They should put the X drive on the Max...of course biased to the rears!

YEAH!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:26 AM

xorbitman - thanks for the nice words, and also for setting the record straight on the ceasefire. Canada and the US have been side-by-side on most military issues as long as I can remember. Always nice to have a 'good buddy' alongside.

Mike_TX - The 'same outer diameter front and rear' for full-time AWD means more than having the same numbers on the sidewall; with full-time AWD, we are not even supposed to have the tires on one axle worn down appreciably more than the tires on the other axle.

Example: The tread on the front tires are almost gone and they need to be replaced, but the tires on the rear have half their tread left. On a full-time AWD, you have to replace all four tires, else put excessive stress and wear on the AWD apparatus. It would be the same as running one new tire with one well-worn tire on the rear of a RWD vehicle; a 'no-no'.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Mike_TX - The 'same outer diameter front and rear' for full-time AWD means more than having the same numbers on the sidewall; with full-time AWD, we are not even supposed to have the tires on one axle worn down appreciably more than the tires on the other axle.

Example: The tread on the front tires are almost gone and they need to be replaced, but the tires on the rear have half their tread left. On a full-time AWD, you have to replace all four tires, else put excessive stress and wear on the AWD apparatus. It would be the same as running one new tire with one well-worn tire on the rear of a RWD vehicle; a 'no-no'.
Yep, I know all that. I just didn't understand why you interjected that into a discussion about whether - and if so, what of - AWD might find its way onto the Maxima at some point in the future.

I agree with you that full-time AWD has more than one shortcoming, which is why I said I would hope some kind of part-time AWD might be implemented on the Maxima (assuming ANY kind of AWD is ever implemented),

It certainly seems to me that AWD is enjoying some kind of undeserved fad status right now. Enthusiasts (mostly lacking on facts) have decided AWD somehow makes a car lots faster and better-handling. Some of that comes from the adoption of AWD on some track-ready cars, since under racing conditions it can be advantageous to have all wheels clawing at the tarmac to optimize traction.

But for the average driver - even under somewhat extreme conditions - there are more downsides to AWD than there are upsides. And you've pointed out one of them yourself. Note that I'm not talking about AWD to help slog through snow and slush here - I'm talking about the boy racers wanting AWD because they think it will somehow magically improve their car's performance.

One other aspect to the whole issue is that FWD can handle only about 275 hp or so without torque steer and weight transfer becoming a real problem. So some of the interest lies in getting more hp into the Maxima and therefore finding a way to handle it. Which is why I said in an earlier post that I think implementing AWD just to deal with excessive torque ateer is like swatting at flies with baseball bats ... the sensible answer is just to give it up and go to RWD. A redesign of the Maxima - such as will apparently happen in the 2009 model - would allow for a switch to RWD if Nissan chose to do so, and that would be more cost-effective than adding any kind of AWD.

The bottom line is that Nissan would seem to be at a crossroads with the Maxima in 2009. They either keep it at roughly the current hp, and allow the competition to pass it by, or they implement RWD or AWD. Everyone seems to be thinking they'll go AWD, but I remain the skeptic.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Mike-TX - I totally agree with you that the Maxima is at a HUGE crossroads with the 7th generation.

And I totally agree with you that full-time AWD is not the marvelous thing some make it out to be.

I would prefer the AWD be one that could be turned on or off by the driver. When in slop or mud, or on ice or snow other slippery surfaces, AWD is unsurpassed. For normal driving, it serves little or no real purpose.

As I see it, the really important issues Nissan faces with the 7th gen are the decision on the drive train (fulltime AWD/parttime AWD/FWD/RDW); the decision on all CVT or CVT with other tranny(s) available; and the decision on HP (less than 300 will be a disappointment to most longtime Maxima fans).

By this time next year, I feel we will begin to hear more (than we already have) definitive scuttlebut as to which direction the 7th gen Maxima is headed.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:12 PM

Mike-TX - I totally agree with you that the Maxima is at a HUGE crossroads with the 7th generation.

And I totally agree with you that full-time AWD is not the marvelous thing some make it out to be.

I would prefer the AWD be one that could be turned on or off by the driver. When in slop or mud, or on ice or snow other slippery surfaces, AWD is unsurpassed. For normal driving, it serves little or no real purpose.

As I see it, the really important issues Nissan faces with the 7th gen are the decision on the drive train (fulltime AWD/parttime AWD/FWD/RDW); the decision on all CVT or CVT with other tranny(s) available; and the decision on HP (less than 300 will be a disappointment to most longtime Maxima fans).

By this time next year, I feel we will begin to hear more (than we already have) definitive scuttlebut as to which direction the 7th gen Maxima is headed.

Agreed on an all counts.

I'm watching to see when my dealer gets an '07 Max, and I plan to get a good test drive in when they do. However, I've shifted my focus over to the '07 G35 now, and I think I'll have to wait and see what it looks like "in person". Per the releases, it will have the 300+ hp, as well as most of the other goodies I've been enjoying in my M45 (RWD, superior Nav, voice recognition, Intellikey, Bluetooth, backup camera, etc., etc., etc.).

If it's all it's cracked up to be, I'll be willing to pay the extra 5 grand or so to get it over the Max. But my Maxima has been a good partner, and I'll leave it with regrets if that's the way I go ...