6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Mystery Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Not sure what years, but some of the newer Z's have this problem because Nissan got the bright idea to put the slave cylinder INSIDE the bellhousing. What happens is that during track runs or traffic the heat from the clutch causes the fluid to boil, and it also leads to failure of the slave cylinder in some instances.

I'm too tired to download the FSM for a 6th gen right now, but even if the slave isn't located in the bellhousing, since you guys are having similiar issues here's a quick partial remedy...........

clutch fluid = brake fluid. Go and get yourself some motul 600, the higher boiling point; while only a band-aid solution for an inherent design flaw; will make things 1000x times better, if not totally eliminate the problem.
Has anyone done this and reported that it will work? If it will where would you drain and fill the fluid?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM

The two links posted above don't appear to work - one talks about a speeding ticket, the other is a 4th gen post.

I just had this issue surface on my "new to me" 04 last week.

Both times the clutch barely had any pressure, then a few minutes later went back to normal.

I'm reading this post, but am still a little lost - what is the remedy? Just bleed the clutch, or replace the master and or slave cylinder? Does the issue only occur under certain conditions?

Is it covered under the 60k warranty?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It actually happened to me earlier today. I have a temporary solution that works every time so far and its done while on teh fly. I pump the pedal only to the point that it starts to resist. I do this really fast and it corrects itself within about 1-2 minutes. As far as permanent solution. . not sure its solved yet.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Bumping this one back up.....

Had this happen to me today while driving in 90 degree weather in the city today.

Thoroughly pissed me off.

Can anybody point me towards the threads where this has been discussed at length?

What is the solution? Bleed and replace w/ better brake fluid? Replace M/C and S/C?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 AM

Clutch Pressure

Mine has started to do this too. It has done it twice in about a month. One day was very hot like 90's, but the other day (yesterday) it was only in the mid 80's. I was not sitting in traffic for long periods of time in either case. Yesterday I was driving about 65 mph and went for the clutch...no pressure.

I am still able to shift the car as I end up with about an inch of clutch to work with.

In both cases the clutch started to work fine again in about 15 minutes. I have owned about 8 manual transmission cars and have never seen anything like this.

I wonder if Nissan has a TSB on this. Does anyone have access or know how to search those.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jopa416
Mine has started to do this too. It has done it twice in about a month. One day was very hot like 90's, but the other day (yesterday) it was only in the mid 80's. I was not sitting in traffic for long periods of time in either case. Yesterday I was driving about 65 mph and went for the clutch...no pressure.

I am still able to shift the car as I end up with about an inch of clutch to work with.

In both cases the clutch started to work fine again in about 15 minutes. I have owned about 8 manual transmission cars and have never seen anything like this.

I wonder if Nissan has a TSB on this. Does anyone have access or know how to search those.

I'm glad you resurected this thread - I was getting ready to do the same thing!

Mine hasn't done it in a while......I think it did it three times before....and always when it was really hot out.

Yesterday it wasn't that hot.....and ironically I parked it in the shade while at a body shop getting an estimate on hail damage.......I leave 30 minutes later....and it does the exact same thing you mentioned. Slightly hard to drive w/ only an inch or two of play in the clutch, back to normal in five to ten min.

Any Nissan techs on this forum that can comment on this?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:30 AM

this happened to me just after i actally bought the car, i freaked out, pumped the clutch pedal and i got pressure back..not sure if it was the stomping or what but it did it again about a week later, same thing i pumped it and it was back almost immediately.
thing is, temperature has gone way up, and it hasnt happened since. *knock on wood
then again...maybe my issue is something totally different.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 AM

Hey Guys,

I see more people have been experiencing this issue. I have to appologize about not responding to the cost of replacing the Master and slave cylinders. I have forgotten about this thread and the cost of the replacement. Knock on wood, my wife has not had this issue surface again. Other suspension noises, yes, but not the clutch issue. I guess you can try bleeding the clutch system and replacing it with a better performing hydraulic fliud. That might work for reducing the temperature in the system. IMO, I think there is a seal leak that reacts to excessive temperature.

For my peace of mind and confidence for my wife, the replacement of the master/slave cylinders and changing the hydraulic fluid has worked so far (a little over a year now). Good luck.

Last edited by Harvey; 08-27-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 AM

Another solution is to get the cf hood that has vents to cool the engine compartment down
Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Learning English...

The way to go is to get a new OEM clutch together with both cylinders at the dealer(just like i did), but if you think this is too expensive, buy just the OEM repairing kits for the cylinders! I can post the their part numbers, if someone wants them
Good luck
Old 09-01-2008, 07:22 PM

my old 02 alti 3.5 with a mt did this too. it was fixed with a new master cylinder install.

in a pinch i too used to pump up the pedal to be able to switch gears.