6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

make dealership repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 AM

make dealership repaint?

Since I bought my 07 SL in February I have been going back and forth with the dealership over a 1" run in the paint on the front passenger door. It's been back to the dealership twice for them to fix and both times they said they didn't want to strip the factory seal off the door to repaint and would rather just buff it out. Both times I've agreed to let them buff out but the only thing that's changed is now there are buff marks (scratches) around the run. The run is still there and clearer than day.

So my question is are there any consequences with forcing the dealership to repaint the entire door? I don't see why they wouldn't be able to match the paint correctly and if the car is less than a year old there shouldn't be a problem with fading and such right? Why are they so worried about the clear coat, can't this be re-applied once it's painted? Should I make the dealership repaint or leave as is? Thanks!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 PM

If it bothers you, insist that they repaint it.

It is obvious that it is not going away at this point with buffing.

It is an 07, you need to be happy with it. Otherwise, it will irritate you EVERYTIME you see it. Don't let them stall on you, make them repaint it if you don't like it now.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Get it fixed...its an 07. I got my 02s hood/bumper/fenders painted and they match perectly.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Just keep going back and call the service manager and bug the ish out of him.... if he gives u any bull tell em that if he cant help u then your going to go and speak w/ the general manager Fu*K those bastered at the stealership... all thier doing is just giving u the run around hoping u just get tired and not come back so that they dont have to pay for your door to get repainted...dont let them win just be on thier asses and c what happends... look at it this way its a brand new car w/ a paint defect from the factory nissan missed this defect and u shouldnt have to pay a dime...about the paint not matching thier just u off it will match perfectly.

I know how they work b/c i work there LOL
Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM

To answer your question about the downsides to having them repaint it; your answer would be 'yes'.

We bought a new 01 Nissan Quest. The day after we bought it, we noticed a paint run. Took it Nissan, went through hassle after hassle after hassle. After nothing else worked, they 'repainted it'. The paint job wasn't much better except that we no longer had a run. What we had instead was a CARFAX report that our vehicle had some type of damage to it on the left side. Whenmy husband and I traced the report back, it was our local dealership that put that ding on our carfax (the month after we bought the van, so it was obvious what they had done). A $4000.00 ding. Also, their paint job was mediocre at best. The new paint was rough and oversprayed.

To do it right, they need to repaint it, and skip the carfax garbage. We would expect that from them in your place.

Have them repaint it, without any report. We accidentially stumbled across what they had done to my report, when we went to trade it in 4 and a half years later on another vehicle.

Here's the other kicker; Read the back of your contract with them. The bill of sale contract. It holds them responsible for damages not reported over $300's worth. I'd bet it will cost them more. They need to make it right.

Swee
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
MDS

The door can absolutely be repainted to perfection. The problem is that the dealership may be unwilling to pay for a quality paint job. They cost much more than your typical repaints. A mediocre paint job could leave you in a worse position.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:59 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

i agree.. make sure its done right... i bought a car that had work done on it and didnt notice till it was in teh sun and WOW it looks preety bad
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Well I'm dropping it off next Tuesday to get it done. If it turns out to be a really bad job is that something I can complain about and get it redone or am I pretty much stuck with how it comes back? I would hope after all this running around and me telling them that I finally want to get it done right that they would make sure its a quality job.. but who am I kidding look who we're talking about. I guess I'll just wait and see how it turns out..
Old 05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ladams02
Well I'm dropping it off next Tuesday to get it done. If it turns out to be a really bad job is that something I can complain about and get it redone or am I pretty much stuck with how it comes back? I would hope after all this running around and me telling them that I finally want to get it done right that they would make sure its a quality job.. but who am I kidding look who we're talking about. I guess I'll just wait and see how it turns out..

Absolutly, you demand to inspect the car prior to signing anything or accepting it. If it's not done right tell them you will not accept or sign untill it is. Thier job is customer service and you have to demand they do thier job correctly.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:23 AM

Just reading the title, makes me already say DO IT! I hate dealerships, especially service! Parts people at my Nissan dealership are pretty cool and give me parts at cost but the service center sucks my left nut!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:49 AM

I think -by law- repair shop needs to report the damage to DMV, if the amount exceeds certain $$$. Carfax then collects the data from the DMV. So it's not the dealer trying to get even on people.
I backed into a pole during a raining day (or the pole run into me, as I told my wife). I get a huge dent and peeling paint of the back side. I paid a local guy $500 out-the-door. I was skeptical, but people can't tell I got an accidence. The guy kept it under $500 (before tax) so he didnot have to report to DMV. Actually in California, it 's adjusted to inflation, so right now it's about $650 before you need to report.
Becareful, as a bad paint job won't show until 1-2yrs later. They can buff it real good that you would be very happy when picking up the car. Ask the shop how many yrs they warranty the paint. Stay away from 1-2yr (maybe no or 1 clear coat) and look for 5yr or more (more clear coats). They also need to cure the paint in the oven.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 PM

I'll check back later for a pic and then I can voice my opinion.

Late.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:32 PM

when u pay that kind of money 4 something it should b perfect.