6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think this forum has a lot less flamers than other forums. I for one will give my opinion, but if I dont feel an idea, Ill say I dont feel it but to each his/her own. I like seeing other peoples ideas. For example, the CF roof spoiler doesnt look as good on a Red Op Maxas it would a black or smoke max. but if someone likes it, great. Im not gonna flame them and I think most people here dont flame like they do in other forums. Perhaps the average age here is higher than, lets say, a Honda Civic forum where they can be pretty juvenile.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Short story. I was at a meet in my area a few ago and there were alot of old muscle cars. This young kid asked me how old I was. I told him I will be 61 in Nov. He than asked why I have a Max instead of one the old cars. I told him that was the past and this is the present. He was amazed that a old man was modding a 6th gen. Maxima. lol
Ramberg: Im younger than you and I get people that are surprised that someone who just turned 46 3 weeks ago is modding a Maxima. I imagine it must really be something at age 60. My hat goes off to you and other older owners who mod their rides. I hope to be like that when I am your age.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:30 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Ramberg: Im younger than you and I get people that are surprised that someone who just turned 46 3 weeks ago is modding a Maxima. I imagine it must really be something at age 60. My hat goes off to you and other older owners who mod their rides. I hope to be like that when I am your age.
Thank you. I used to be the oldest member with nycmaximas now we have a member who is 63 and is into modding his 6th gen. Most members are under 40, They can be our sons and daughters. There is alot of respect both ways.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:36 PM

I have been on this forum for almost three years and have been fairly heavily involved with lots of different modifications. Recently, I have had more of a chance to experience other forums since two of my kids have cars now - 2002 Celica TRD Action Package, and 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6. I have explored those forums (newcelica.org and newtiburon.com) as well as BMW, Evolution, VW, Honda, Mercedes and other forums. I have noticed that the 6th Generation Maxima forum seems to be clearly the most conservative with respect to modifications, as I was wondering why.
For example, if you take a Cook's tour of these other forums, you will notice these guys modifying everything we do, plus interiors, new seats, steering wheels, paint jobs and much more. This includes BMW and Mercedes guys so its not like luxury cars are excluded. It seems that here everyone gets rims and maybe a drop, perhaps a G35 spoiler or 07 Max spoiler, perhaps some TVs and sound systems, lights, intake, cat back, and thats about it. There are always exceptions, myself included, but it is sort of surprising to me.

I hope thoughtful people like Light, Chern, Ramberg, Kamski, Swee and others respond and share your thoughts.
hey man i just wanna complement you on your ride, i love what you have done with it nice job
Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Newbie just Registered

SickSE, your last statement regarding the steering wheel is exactly why I started this thread. I want to know WHY do owners of other types of cars not mind this idea, but you and other 6th gen owners dont feel the idea? I have no problem with 6th Gen owners not feeling the ideas, but Im curious WHY 6th gen owners dont like major changes to their cars, with few exceptions?

If I can find a sport steering wheel with compatible airbag and audio control, I'd get it.

What I really like is the whole instrument cluster to move up and down with the steering wheel like the Z. I know with enough dough, it can be done, but it ain't gonna happend for me.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 PM

RH, thats why I like the Honda Si steering wheel. Its an inch smaller, which isnt too much and its very sharp looking, and not as bulky looking as the Maxima:

here is a photochop of it on my car. It would be smaller than in the pic
Old 10-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Newbie just Registered

It looks like the ASIMO robot smiling at you. If it works for you and you can get at least the airbag hooked up, then go for it. If not, try this:
Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 AM

I looked at that wheel and like it very much. Does that have an air bag?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:12 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by coolmax05
NOTICE HOW LEVEL SHE SITS (Shhhh, I didn't cut anything...)
Simply BEAUTIFUL.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 PM

But here is the real point. In other forums, PEOPLE DONT SEEM AS CONCERNED ABOUT REPLACING SEATS AND STEERING WHEELS ETC in both high end and lower end cars alike. Why???---> Why are Maxima owners different from all other owners?
perhaps maxima owners are more intelligent??

high end cars (bmw's benz')... modding.... ppl have the money....they will change anything to look diff.

low end cars(whatever model) ... modding ... (same reason)

maxima... middle priced car... looks great as it came... ppl like me dont have the guts to do what chern or you can do.. (i'd love to have your cars or what you have done... but other than a tint... i dont have the *****/patience to do much more) <-- and that is my real reason for not modding!!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Tell me why it takes ***** to change stuff? Some people struggle to even remove badges for gosh sakes!!! I dont get it!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Love my '09

Deus,

I don't do it, not because I don't have the money or the time, but because I don't know a whole lot about engines, mechanics of the motor, car systems, etc. Last time I took parts off of a car, I had leftovers....
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Deus,

I don't do it, not because I don't have the money or the time, but because I don't know a whole lot about engines, mechanics of the motor, car systems, etc. Last time I took parts off of a car, I had leftovers....
............................OK you're excused!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Deus,

Isn't that what should be called a good mechanic? Someone who can get rid of parts but still run the car at least as it was, if not better
Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Newbie just Registered

Deus,

I call this weight reduction.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 AM

Deus,

Regarding the parts leftover. What kind of parts and how much shipped to 85226?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Love my '09

lol, I'm not taking my Maxima apart.... Oh, and I'm not really sure what the parts were. You know, it's one of those doohickys.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM

lol, I'm not taking my Maxima apart.... Oh, and I'm not really sure what the parts were. You know, it's one of those doohickys.
LOL, like bolts, washers, nuts, retainers, doohickys like that!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Love my '09

lol. Yeah. Like I said in another thread. I can identify an engine 9 out of 10 tries.... But I can take your computer apart blindfolded, fix it, and reassemble it and guarantee it works... See, what I need to do is trade computer services for modding.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 PM
SmokinMaxSE

The 6th gens flame more 6th gens than the 5th gens used to do. Some members want to see the same modification over and over. Then we have the "throw some D's on it" crowd. This is what most people buy the Maxima for. There is not much going on in the 6th gen section. Maybe the same thread/topic going on forever. I think its funny to irritate some of these members
Old 10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
SickSE

That steering wheel is uuuuuugly. It would look out of place in the max bro. Riiiiiicey. But thats just my .02

Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 PM

lol. Yeah. Like I said in another thread. I can identify an engine 9 out of 10 tries.... But I can take your computer apart blindfolded, fix it, and reassemble it and guarantee it works... See, what I need to do is trade computer services for modding.
I like the way you think, I'm the same way!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM

Tell me why it takes ***** to change stuff? Some people struggle to even remove badges for gosh sakes!!! I dont get it!
yeah i am prob. one of them....!!! (altho i do like the badges!)

but.. sadly for me... i can turbocharge a laptop/network, but i would not have a clue on a maxima (or for that matter any car!)...most i can do is keep it clean:-((

I visit this site (and read abt ure cars) to make me feel better!! (kind of like living in someone else's glory)
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Love my '09

lol, max.org sure has alot of professional geeks hanging out here learning what "can" be done by automotive skilled folks.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:25 PM
*moderator*

You guys type too much....subscribing. I'm too busy out modding to read all of these long posts!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 AM

J,
Give it up, we all know you're running stock!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 AM

I still don't believe there is anyone afraid of modding their Maxima on this forum. There simply isn't enough support to go crazy and the Maxima looks beautiful as it came.

Joshua
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
J,
Give it up, we all know you're running stock!
You're right I'm just really good at photoshop!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:12 PM

well, hopefully your statement will be proved wrong in the next year, with the value of the car depreciating like crazy more and more kids are buying them, and with that aftermarket will fallow

myself, in the last 5 days I got drilled and slotted rotors (anything is better than stock rotors), fujita intake and 19" g35 forged wheels. and cant wait for the led lights to come out.
now if you excuse me im going to my bank to see if I have any money left.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM

see i dont mind modding it.. i had a 99 galant before and i did some mods to it.. and i loved it but they werent all professinal when it came to painting interior and wat not..

im spending 22gs on a car.. i wannna pay it off before i do anything else.. im not rich... nor is my family.. i feel taht if ur gonna pay for something thats gonna last u a while.. go for the better quality (maximas)..

but once i pay over 85% of it.. then im gonna start with tints and sound and then do outside work and get that lip that ramberg got.. it looks hot
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 PM

Philoforlife took the words right out of my mouth. Yes, what he said.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:30 PM

With me it comes down to money, my car, bills, eating, brother, I decided to go back to school, I would love to drop a turbo on my car but I have to use the money for other things, mods will still happen but I don't see myself swapping out the seats or steering wheel although a new wheel is possible since I just bought a leather cover for it cause the leather is pealing
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Y-pipe

I wanted to get the y-pipe mod but am confused were to go. ALso if any senior members read this I cant post threads I only have limited access to the site. Sorry new to the sight.

I have an 04 Maxima.
Need a little help

Thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
myself, in the last 5 days I got drilled and slotted rotors (anything is better than stock rotors), fujita intake and 19" g35 forged wheels. and cant wait for the led lights to come out.
Welcome to the G35 Coupe wheels club.

We had this same issue in the Pontiac Grand Prix community. People slow to mod, etc. But as the value of the car dropped and a vendor competition increased, mods starting appearing like crazy. The lowest lows (low 13s) became child's play as tuners got these things into the low 11s as daily drivers.

Maximas aren't Celicas and Tiburons. They're cheaper, have a younger demographic, so they get the mods. So, I guess I'm saying I've seen it before. And the mods will come. Now that there's a 3.5 turbo available, things will change more quickly.

@ Ramberg...we had a guy show up to Pontiac Southern Nats show up in a GTP...82 y.o. with an oxygen tank in the passenger seat. Ran 13.2s all day in his Gold ride. LOL!!! Glad to see you're as active as the next guy around here.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:22 AM

Hello,

I know i haven't posted in a while but i'm the owner of an 07 Maxima that has done the following in one year of ownership:

1) RacingLine FSTB
2) Racing Line Front MMI
3) Custom Y-Pipe
4) Active Tuning Grounding Kit
5) 20 % Tints
6) Side Window Deflectors
7) Debadged
8) PIAA White Fogs (Planning to replace with HID Fogs)
9) Clear Door Lenses

That's what i can remember from the top of my head but here's what i plan to do when money isn't an issue lol -

1) 22 Inch Rims
2) Progress Lowering Springs
3) KYB Struts/Springs
4) LED's
5) Front/Rear Sway Bar Kit
6) Intake (Might Be Installed Today)
7) Racingline Endlinks & Rear MMI (Will be Installed Today)

For now, that's what i can think of but that's what i've done and plan to do. If money wasn't the issue, i would modify my car to it's full extent. I'm 22 and in full-time university, so that cuts back the financing a little bit hence i have to do things slowly. Anyway, i have to get some sleep but love everybody on here, the support and the love for the beauty n the beast: Maxima . "Maxima" is a beauty by itself but in order to "Maximize" It, your the only one that can work on it.

So What Are You Waiting For? Go Get Your Dream :P

Last edited by trance.addict; 10-06-2007 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Sorry I'm adding my 2 Cents here at bit late...I've been a bit busy lately....My take on all this modding is this: Do what pleases you the most. Have fun with it and enjoy it because in the end you are the one that is going to drive the car. I love watching all the different car shows like Car Crazy Central, Driving and my latest craze the amazing one hour show on BBC Canada called Top Gear. You can watch some of the episodes on Youtube...my fav is the Bugatti Veyron on the VW test track...about 10 mins...don't watch the shorter versions. Let's face it...if we're all here posting and reading it's because we're all a bit "Car Crazy". There are those who think that cars should not be interesting....and only a means to get you from Point A to Point B....but my opinion on this is why should you go through life with the mundane and boring? There are lots of interesting cars out there. The important thing is to remember that driving is a priveledge and not a acquired "right"...if more people thought this way people would be a lot more courteous behind the wheel...Just yesterday a guy here in Montreal accidently cut off someone on the westbound highway...he got off the highway and was pulling in to his burb when he stopped at the light the guy he cut off had followed him and in his road rage punched the guy in the face smashing his glasses....That kind of stuff has to stop. Just north of Toronto last week in Brampton on the slower highway (Speed limit of 80 KPH...two brothers were speeding in their fancy cars. One was driviing a BMW and the other an Audi. They were going faster than 120 KPH which is about 70 MPH and some times hitting 80! The younger one (21) drove on the gravel shoulder to pass a truck then lost control and caused a multi car accident which took the lives of two women in their 30's. They were both mothers....killed instantly and to make matters worse the husband of one of the women was driving ahead and saw the whole thing unfold in his rear view mirror...Up here in the news we all got to see what was left of the car...and me, an expert at being able to identify cars going back to the 60's, I was not able to recognize their car! Moral of the story here? Racing and Speeding kill. The message I'm trying to get across here is simple: Enjoy driving but do it in a responsible matter! Drive safe and be respectful of others.

Last edited by xorbitman; 10-11-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Lots of good comments here in this philosophical thread. Its not that 6th genner dont mod their cars. I just find a certain reticence, a certain hesitance, and conservative modding and I just didnt understand why. Lots of people are even hesitant to debadge, which is a very basic mod. Same with window tinting. Its like its a big deal here, whereas on most other forums, its no big deal. I know we dont have a lot of goodies out there, making it necessary to invent or make things on our own. But perhaps if that hesitance wasnt there, maybe the aftermarket industry would respond with more products.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Here are my two cents. I think the car looks good as it is. Why go out there and make a Maxima look like a lowered Honda Civic with nasty body kits and wheels. Don't get me wrong, I'm planning to get some 20's on them, but you run more risk depresiating the look value of a Max then a Civic. There are some mods out there that would make the car look real sweet, but from what I've seen in my 5 months owning a Max, most are not properly exposed. I do want to lower my car, but just the front. I hate the big gap in the front, and with 20's it might look weird. I come from a 92 Integra that was lowered and had almost every mod imaginable. Now that I upgraded to a better, newer car I don't want to go and Rice out my car. I have medium/light tint on it. I did add the 07 spoiler on it, and I do plan on adding the Magnaflow exhaust eventually. But those are items that I like. I don't want to mod my car because everyone else thinks it should be done. I want to mod it because that's what I think should be done to the car. Its ok to mod the car, and I think they look nice with good mods, but some people go way too overboard with them, and then it just messed up the look of the car. I've seen some Maxs that look like they should be belong with a pack of Civics. I think, no I know Maxs are a couple of steps higher then Civics and Acuras. And to me for that reason I wouldn't want to add a body kit, or those shopping cart looking spoilerts to my car. I'm not hating on people that have done that to their cars, but I'm not one to do that my car. Just my two cents.

Idea for the grill: Take off the "teeth" and emblem. Paint the rest of the grill to match the car. Buy the separate two piece grill and put that on there along with the emblem. What do you think? Different? My car is Royal Blue by the way.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 AM

First, the car is primarilly my wife's and she likes it as it is. The car came with the optional factory chrome wheels and they nicely accent the silver paint, so there is no need for new wheels. Why would we want to change out the already dang nice OEM seats and likely lose the seat heaters and memory function? Same with the steering wheel, we kind of like the stereo and cruise controls...

Second, I really don't see many if any true performance modifications available for the Maximas anyhow. Most mods seem centered around giving the car a more distinct personal appearance or sound. Not making it any quicker, better handling, or giving it additional capabilities. I prefer modifications that enhance performance and capabilities, my truck and Jeep are evidence of that.

Third, I don't want to screw up the warranty.

About the only thing I would like to do would be to either lower the front an inch or so or raise up and stiffen the rear suspension and find some way to keep it from squatting so much when we take the car on vacation with a trunkload of luggage. It is embarrassing having the HID headlights shining up and right into the eys of oncoming drivers. We get high beams flashed at us a lot because of that.

Otherwise, we pretty much like the car and it serves our need as it is as it is. We did install an iPod adapter. Does that count for anything?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Second, I really don't see many if any true performance modifications available for the Maximas anyhow. Most mods seem centered around giving the car a more distinct personal appearance or sound. Not making it any quicker, better handling, or giving it additional capabilities. I prefer modifications that enhance performance and capabilities, my truck and Jeep are evidence of that.
The thread doesn't say performance mods...

Quick Reply: Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?