6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Ok you want to know why I mod, I love high standards (I try to only buy quality Mod products). Luckily I do have some money (wasn't always the case so I understand), and after 24 years in the military I now have a great job and a semi-normal life and can focus on things that make me happy that I couldn't afford before. Occasionally I do "Do It" for the Hard On!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
First, the car is primarilly my wife's and she likes it as it is. The car came with the optional factory chrome wheels and they nicely accent the silver paint, so there is no need for new wheels. Why would we want to change out the already dang nice OEM seats and likely lose the seat heaters and memory function? Same with the steering wheel, we kind of like the stereo and cruise controls...

Second, I really don't see many if any true performance modifications available for the Maximas anyhow. Most mods seem centered around giving the car a more distinct personal appearance or sound. Not making it any quicker, better handling, or giving it additional capabilities. I prefer modifications that enhance performance and capabilities, my truck and Jeep are evidence of that.

Third, I don't want to screw up the warranty.

About the only thing I would like to do would be to either lower the front an inch or so or raise up and stiffen the rear suspension and find some way to keep it from squatting so much when we take the car on vacation with a trunkload of luggage. It is embarrassing having the HID headlights shining up and right into the eys of oncoming drivers. We get high beams flashed at us a lot because of that.

Otherwise, we pretty much like the car and it serves our need as it is as it is. We did install an iPod adapter. Does that count for anything?
Your response is a GREAT case-in-point. Yeah the OEM seats are not bad for OEM seats I suppose. BUt so are the seats in a Bimmer, Benz, G35, 350Z, etc, yet those owners have no problems changing their memory heated power seats for some much better aftermarket seats. Those same people (and many others) also have stereo and cruise on their steering wheels, yet they have no problems changing to aftermarket steering wheels like Nardi, Momo, etc. You wont change your OEM wheels because they have chrome on them?? True, they are nice looking OEM wheels, but changing rims is one of the first things most car owners do to mod their rides. And the typical Maxima owner response to not wanting to mod their ride is the fear of the warranty being violated. No one else seems to care about warranty like Maixma owners. The question is: Why do Maxima owners in general, not just anyone in particular, care about keeing the car stock, or with light mods and why do they care about the warranty.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Your response is a GREAT case-in-point. Yeah the OEM seats are not bad for OEM seats I suppose. BUt so are the seats in a Bimmer, Benz, G35, 350Z, etc, yet those owners have no problems changing their memory heated power seats for some much better aftermarket seats. Those same people (and many others) also have stereo and cruise on their steering wheels, yet they have no problems changing to aftermarket steering wheels like Nardi, Momo, etc. You wont change your OEM wheels because they have chrome on them?? True, they are nice looking OEM wheels, but changing rims is one of the first things most car owners do to mod their rides. And the typical Maxima owner response to not wanting to mod their ride is the fear of the warranty being violated. No one else seems to care about warranty like Maixma owners. The question is: Why do Maxima owners in general, not just anyone in particular, care about keeing the car stock, or with light mods and why do they care about the warranty.
Deus you are giving away some of our don't give a **** attitude's!!!

Ride the horse hard and put her out wet!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:33 AM

For me, I'd love to do more to my Max but it comes down to dollars and cents. I have two young kids, they are now 12 and 7, and I am always finding it hard to justify spending the money- like $1500 on new rims when the ones on the car are perfectly fine and functional, no curb rash or nicks. My house is 80 years old and my wife and I are in a constant state of upgrading and renewing things there, so again, I can't justify the cost to myself. I will upgrade my springs and hopefully the struts to the fully adjustable ones this upcoming spring of 08. I think I will be one of those modders that upgrade when the OEM stuff starts to wear out. I will get new rotors when these OEM ones are shot and I will be getting new tires probably in the spring of 08 and I will upgrade to some Bridgestones, no F1's in my future. So, like someonelse posted, I live vicariously thru some of you guys. I love the look of the Max and I hope to keep it until I can give it to my son, who is 12 now. So keep up the good work guys and Swee, I look forward to seeing the next new and great mod idea!!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM

This question is still raised in my new rear bumper thread. We talk about ideas, front bumpers, rear bumpers, tail lights, LEDs in mirrors, yet it never seems to come to fruition. It takes a brave soul to pay for initial production costs just to get the ball rolling. Thats BS. We all ought to be a little more brave about modifying so that the aftermarket becomes what all other car companies aftermarket is, wrought with plenty of products to choose from. However, this is not the case.

Chern is the FIRST turbo Maxima, after the 6th Gen has been out since 2003!!! Only two other people have replaced their seats, other than me, that i know of. NO one has replaced their steering wheel but me. People like The Presence custom make his own parts to fit. Point is, only a few pioneers do more than the basic mods. I just wonder why 6th Gen Maxima people are like this as a group?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 AM

deus personally im scared of loosing the luxury look of it....people on the streets tell me i look race-ish but yet classy....idk i would like to change my bumper to give it more of an aggressive look but everything is so just dam expensive right now lol....im tryin to stay in the class with the custom bmw m6 that platinum motorsports made haha i would post a picture but you guys would juust have to go to the site cause the pictures are copy written and i cant right click or save it
Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 PM

thebballkid: what is the name of the site? http://webridestv.com/showgallery.aspx?gallery=10067 ?????

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 12-08-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:03 PM

If you're scared to lose the luxury, look at the Mercedes black series, which was the inspiration for my Recaro seats
Old 12-08-2007, 01:37 PM

For me, I just can't justify it right now. Well, I guess you could say my priorities have changed. I used to be one of those guys that threw most of my money into my car. I was one the first to run DRAG Gen.III turbo kit on my Integra back in the day. Got it pre-production through a hook-up. One of the first few to have a turbo'd honda/acura out here in Phoenix. Blown motors, motor swaps, yada, yada, yada, you name it, we did it. Of course we were always following the lead of friends in So Cal.

Now (married, 4 1/2yr old, mortgage, etc) I either don't have the time and/or can't justify spending 2K on wheels when I could be putting that money into remodeling my kitchen. So...at this particular point in my life my cars come second, or third, or fourth, or whenever....It's just not that important even though I still drool over nice cars with hopes of someday jumping back in with both feet! Someday!.....

My maxima is more or less my commuter car. When I'm ready to truly get back into the car scene I'll get something else. I do still want to do a few small things like a springs(can't stand the wheel gap up front!), maybe a chin spoiler(to get rid of that grin), AT grill, and maybe wheels eventually. What can I say, you can't blame me for wanting to drive a nice looking car...No performance stuff because if I wanted a fast/agile car I would have bought an EVO instead.

Hope this answers your question Dues...
Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 AM
GrandPa

Deus remember not everyone is into moding therir rides no matter what make. When I brought my car I had no idea that I was going to do any modding on my Max. I never modded any of my cars. My main concern was my supporting my large family as I see in some replys. Now I am retired and able to do some things. I started with the grille and you know what it looks like today. I would like to get a new bummper but if nothing comes out by spring I will get the Stillen rear and side skirts. I think I was the 1st to install a cigar humidor in the arm rest thanks to chermax and nitrous. I like what you have done to your car and what others have done with their cars. I travel alot with my car and have over 84,000 miles on my car going back and forth to Florida. I need to have comfort so I wouldn't want to change my seats. I would to the steering wheel in the future but know with birthdays and holidays for 6 daughters, 14 grandchildren and other family members I have to slow down for a few months.

Take care.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 AM

Once my daughter came my max pretty much started collecting dust, still does. Im not really into blowing all my cash on mods that I dont see as an improvement, so I choose them wisely. Also, the mods for these cars cost WAY to much so having aftermarket support like a civic just isnt gonna happen.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Moderator GT-R

...kids...
This has a lot to do with it IMHO.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 AM

I have been on this forum for almost three years and have been fairly heavily involved with lots of different modifications. Recently, I have had more of a chance to experience other forums since two of my kids have cars now - 2002 Celica TRD Action Package, and 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6. I have explored those forums (newcelica.org and newtiburon.com) as well as BMW, Evolution, VW, Honda, Mercedes and other forums. I have noticed that the 6th Generation Maxima forum seems to be clearly the most conservative with respect to modifications, as I was wondering why.
For example, if you take a Cook's tour of these other forums, you will notice these guys modifying everything we do, plus interiors, new seats, steering wheels, paint jobs and much more. This includes BMW and Mercedes guys so its not like luxury cars are excluded. It seems that here everyone gets rims and maybe a drop, perhaps a G35 spoiler or 07 Max spoiler, perhaps some TVs and sound systems, lights, intake, cat back, and thats about it. There are always exceptions, myself included, but it is sort of surprising to me.

I hope thoughtful people like Light, Chern, Ramberg, Kamski, Swee and others respond and share your thoughts.

I think all that stems on personal taste. Some people I have noticed on here trick their cars out.... so when people see it on the streets, they dont see Maxima... they MYxima but that's all peachy keen and everything it's just some, like me, want to bring out the best in their car (in the physical sense) than as far as schematics and speed and aerodynamics are concerned. I tip my hat to those who have the turbo engines and fujita intakes and the exhausts and rotors, I'm just not that talented to do those things or even think of it... and I'm well to do but damn sure not rich enough to cough up dead presidents for every mod the hottest Max has....

Another reason in my opinion would be knowledge and know-how.... many people dont have the knowledge to do it, even with the most detailed sticky. That is how I am... I hardly trust the people at the stealerships and mechanic shops to change my oil rather than change my motor and stuff. It just takes a while to get used to your car being changed. I think of it as: "I bought this car and it works perfectly, it's fast, has not given me any problems, people ALWAYS gawk at it, its a beautiful work of craftsmanship, and I have a MAXIMA!--so why would I wanna change something and potentially screw up the grand design of her life?" LOL.. that may sound crazy but that is how I look at it.

Another thing is trends. Some people do things just for the sake of trends and not because they really wanna do it.... Not saying that all those who have a great deal of mods are followers, but they do it because they are in it for the showmanship and for the performance and they are speed enthusiasts and have the know how to make their car work at optimum performance. At the rates vehicles are going, they are getting more and more "advanced" which means they are getting bigger and slower... The Max has already lost 20hp with 6.5 release.. what's next? I can definitely relate to those wanting to make they Maxes go faster than they can.

Alot of people are scared because they look at these forums and are like what are they talking about.... I come on here EVERYDAY and just sometimes look at the new threads and replies and you guys are soooo damn advanced and smart, yet I have no brains when it comes to a car... I used to think you can use oil for gas.... (BLONDE MOMENT) but after a while you learn a thing or two and then you two things or three and etc.

Which brings me to my next point: Time and the art of anticipation. People always think something better is going to come along and blow away yesterday's news... at least I do. I cant tell you how long I wanted something and was able to get it but still wanted to wait out to see if a newer color would come out, or a better item with "new and improved features" or a cheaper cost or someone with a review saying not to get it. It just takes time even though you want to and can do it at the moment, to actually push your lazy @$s to do it and like it because YOU want to do it. There is soooo much to do to a car and its awful stressful, confusing, and downright tumultuous to think of where you want to begin. So many people are ill-informed and are told so many things they dont know what to believe.

With a Maxima there are so many intricate things that you can do and it seems, in my opinion, that with those other cars its much easier. Nissan is weird and their parts are never compatible with other vehicles and it seems like they make their cars to be unchanged in anyway after they leave the stealership... and that hinders me because BMW and Toyota's pieces are soo damn "universal".. maybe since they have been around longer.

In the future, though I have alot of things, that I wanna do to Xima... I want her to be totally revamped without compromising who she is... a Maxima at heart.. thus I want to take her to the Max. She is really fast, but she probably wont be the fastest because, again, extra speed isnt my thing. She probably wont have the deepest sound coming from her muffler because I dont like girl with deep voices ;-). She probably wont have the sickest lightshow under, in front, or inside of her because she has a bright mind already. But she will look good to me.... she may even look good enough to make you do a double take....

So in the scheme of things.... should I be a writer or what? LOL
Old 12-09-2007, 09:32 AM

So, what up with all the hardware???? Doesn't look like you live in da hood. I can understand the weapon for bird hunting, but the pistol and the assault rifle is kind over the top. Those only have one purpose which is for killing people... Man, if I were you I would unload some of that stuff and upgrade to a 350Z
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Terrentius

So, what up with all the hardware???? Doesn't look like you live in da hood. I can understand the weapon for bird hunting, but the pistol and the assault rifle is kind over the top. Those only have one purpose which is for killing people... Man, if I were you I would unload some of that stuff and upgrade to a 350Z
And a nuclear weapon can wipe out a city, what's the point? Guns are a deterrent in licensed gun owner hands? Just because a person owns weapons doesn't mean he's heading out the door to start popping off rounds at people. I have permits to carry weapons and was trained to understand the responsibilities and the grave dangers of my actions with such use of these weapons verse the gun carrying thug who walks with his gun in the waist band of his pants looking to use it on innocent people. Weapons in responsible gun owners hands account for less than 1% of crimes in the US. If people choose to NOT be victims that's our business, I for one like knowing if something goes bad, and there is no time for 911, I may actually have a fighting chance at saving my family or property. my vote: NOT A VICTIM!!!

Great pictures Warren!!!

Last if you understood the theme of Warrens car, it's based on the action crime fighting figure the Punisher, hence the car theme picture Warren is posing for...
Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Nuclear weapons FTW.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Warren- on the weapons! And on 6 daughters! Can't imagine how that house-hold was in their teen years!

Chris-You have a permit that you can actually walk around the streets with a gun ON you?

NmexMAX-You work at a nuclear plant, don't you?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
It’s in the NWC, not really a plant.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:48 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=Terrentius;6124643

So, what up with all the hardware???? Doesn't look like you live in da hood. I can understand the weapon for bird hunting, but the pistol and the assault rifle is kind over the top. Those only have one purpose which is for killing people... Man, if I were you I would unload some of that stuff and upgrade to a 350Z [/QUOTE]

1st of all these were only used to show off my punisher theme and are not mine since I would have to go thru alot of paper work to get them where I live. Thanks chernmax for the reply. I wouldn't kill anyone unless I have to defend myself or family. Have you ever been to Brooklyn, NY? Thats my hood. I was in a different area where that picture was taken.

Take care.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:50 AM
GrandPa

Warren- on the weapons! And on 6 daughters! Can't imagine how that house-hold was in their teen years!
Yes my friend the teen years were rough but we made it. Now they are in their 30's dealing with their own children.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by bluemaxx

...kids...
This has a lot to do with it IMHO.

With my first, I slowed way down. Now with another, 19 months old and new born, I may get wheels when I get new tires. And if/when another front lip becomes available, that would probably be the last mod for a few years.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Warren-on the weapons! And on 6 daughters! Can't imagine how that house-hold was in their teen years!

Chris-You have a permit that you can actually walk around the streets with a gun ON you?

Yes they are called Concealed Handgun permits (CCW).
Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Tomahawk Missles ----- FTW ...........(i shot 48 of them!!)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:08 PM

I have been on this forum for almost three years and have been fairly heavily involved with lots of different modifications. Recently, I have had more of a chance to experience other forums since two of my kids have cars now - 2002 Celica TRD Action Package, and 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6. I have explored those forums (newcelica.org and newtiburon.com) as well as BMW, Evolution, VW, Honda, Mercedes and other forums. I have noticed that the 6th Generation Maxima forum seems to be clearly the most conservative with respect to modifications, as I was wondering why.
For example, if you take a Cook's tour of these other forums, you will notice these guys modifying everything we do, plus interiors, new seats, steering wheels, paint jobs and much more. This includes BMW and Mercedes guys so its not like luxury cars are excluded. It seems that here everyone gets rims and maybe a drop, perhaps a G35 spoiler or 07 Max spoiler, perhaps some TVs and sound systems, lights, intake, cat back, and thats about it. There are always exceptions, myself included, but it is sort of surprising to me.

I hope thoughtful people like Light, Chern, Ramberg, Kamski, Swee and others respond and share your thoughts.

honestly, Im broke... im starting a familiy now and getting married... maybe once I pick up my dream SC430 then ill hook it up a bit... but with my max... i leave it alone and sold every item except for my short air intake by berk...
Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by Terrentius
For a moment I thought I was watching a scene from Rambo . The closest I will ever come to you in regards to guns would be to display my paintball guns
Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by larsim
For a moment I thought I was watching a scene from Rambo . The closest I will ever come to you in regards to guns would be to display my paintball guns

i was armorer (sp) on my ship when i was in the NAVY... fun fun fun..

also security force
line coach at the range
missle tech (daily job) aka Fire Controlman
search and seizure while over seas

WEEPONS!!!!

oh, and i conceal and carry now...
Old 12-09-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by redmaxpa007
Tomahawk Missles ----- FTW ...........(i shot 48 of them!!)
LOL, 70+ TLAM launches under my belt... (13 years GMM, mostly Mk 41 VLS)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by chernmax
LOL, 70+ TLAM launches under my belt... (13 years GMM, mostly Mk 41 VLS)

i knew i liked you for a reason!!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

i was armorer (sp) on my ship when i was in the NAVY... fun fun fun..

also security force
line coach at the range
missle tech (daily job) aka Fire Controlman
search and seizure while over seas

WEEPONS!!!!

oh, and i conceal and carry now...
Oh yea, a gun in a ship! I would take you on anytime with my tippman pro lite It shoots 10 paintballs a minute
Old 12-09-2007, 05:32 PM

I think everyone has their reasons for not modding a car, which I'm sure have already been covered.

I honestly don't see the Maxima as much of a tuner car. There are hardly any parts made for the Maxima that are a direct bolt on too.

The BMW M3 has been my dream car, and still is, and part of the reason I'm not completely modding my car with a brake system, turbo and what ever else is because I'm saving my money for an M3.

When you look at cars like the M3, there are lots of parts made for them. Whether you're talking about superchargers, turbos, hoods, sideskirts, bumpers, etc. Then there are also tons of people who choose to put racing seats in them because they take their M3 to the track every chance that they get.

I have a CAI on my car, and I'm thinking about getting some Xenons, but I don't see the point in putting any more money into my car.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM

thebballkid: what is the name of the site? http://webridestv.com/showgallery.aspx?gallery=10067 ?????

yup thats her right there......and were these the ones?
http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/...1061300287.jpg
Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM

blah! Reading this last page

I've wanted to have the adventure and thrill of learning live lessons by joining some sort of "defense program," but the rents pretty much said...if you want to stay good with us, then you'll stay at home. Understandable considering the fact of you know...dieing at war
Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
i SeE what you did therE

blah! Reading this last page

I've wanted to have the adventure and thrill of learning live lessons by joining some sort of "defense program," but the rents pretty much said...if you want to stay good with us, then you'll stay at home. Understandable considering the fact of you know...dieing at war

serving your country comes at a price...... some people cannot afford that price.............
Old 12-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Simple if you ask me, the type if person that has a 6th gen Maxima has a certain kind of taste in cars. (For the most part) That taste makes them enjoy lightly modded cars. Subtle lip kits and drops, nice rims, nothing too flashy really. That's what I think at least. I think MOST Maxima owners are like that regardless of gen. Subtle is the key word, the cars that get the most praise on this site are the ones that are 'tastefully" done, for example VIPmaxima.

Anyways, to comment on the off-topic turn this thread has taken, I can't believe Americans are allowed to carry concealed weapons. I guess I've been pretty naive over here in Canada, but our gun laws are incredibly strict compared to yours.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 PM

serving your country comes at a price...... some people cannot afford that price.............
I'm assuming you mean "death" as the price? Explain further please
Old 12-09-2007, 06:18 PM

If I had to guess, I think he means if serving your country is what you really want then the "price" would be not having your parents approval.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:23 PM
i SeE what you did therE

i ment it as the end result (possibility of death)and as in your case.. the parents dissaproving..(overcoming the decision to join)

to go into the military requires a bit of we all have it... the willingness to blindly follow with total dis-reguard (sp)for our own safety.

i said i would not go.. my uncle was a MARINE.. and he was a nut case.
well, after 10 years of service... i decided it was enough..

everyone feels the effects of your service, family, friends, loved ones....etc. and if you dont have the support, it is that much harder to commit. and that strain is there just serving, let alone if something would ever happen to you.

sorry to jack the thread with some scuttlebutt, but i know chernmax will be ok with it
Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 PM

i ment it as the end result (possibility of death)and as in your case.. the parents dissaproving..(overcoming the decision to join)

to go into the military requires a bit of we all have it... the willingness to blindly follow with total dis-reguard (sp)for our own safety.

i said i would not go.. my uncle was a MARINE.. and he was a nut case.
well, after 10 years of service... i decided it was enough..

everyone feels the effects of your service, family, friends, loved ones....etc. and if you dont have the support, it is that much harder to commit. and that strain is there just serving, let alone if something would ever happen to you.

sorry to jack the thread with some scuttlebutt, but i know chernmax will be ok with it

aha, gocha. I'm sure Warren will be alright with it as well!

On a side-note...how bout' that EMB?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

The celica and tiburon are kids cars, it comes down to more people who really care about modding, and to some extent the availability of mods, which is a function of the type of people who buy those cars. Check the median age of a maxima driver versus a tiburon driver, id guess the difference is the maxima owner is in their mid 40's to 50's and the others are under 30.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM

PrjctMax, as a retired military person with 24 years of service, please don't make me have to bust up this dumb a$$ comment...

Serious, it's stupid!!!

Quick Reply: Why 6th genners seem afraid of modifying?