6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need help replacing HID bulbs on a 2004 Maxima...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 AM

Need help replacing HID bulbs on a 2004 Maxima...

Sup guys... I know its been discussed but I need help replacing HID bulbs on a 2004 Maxima... I tried the search option and alot of the treads don't exist anymore or they don't really give any detailed info on how to do this... So please don't flame but can someone please help me out. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 AM
SickSE

I'm sure there will be people recommending places to buy them......so just do what they say about that.

What I want to recommend is bump up the kelvin to 5000K so you have a nice hint of blue.

You will need the D2S bulb and they sell for about 60-90 dollars per set.

Other than that, some remove the front bumper to do it, some don't. Personally, because of the pain in the a$$ of removing and putting the bumper back on, pay the dealership 15 bucks to change out the bulb.

Don't worry if anyone flames you ill make them

Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the info... I already picked up the bulbs about a week ago. You got any info or tricks to help remove the bumper or at least get around not removing it. Thanks again
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was a total pu$$y like you at one time. Just remove the bumper dude.

Remove the grill and trim around it. Then its just a couple screws in the wheel wells and a couple more in the front underside of the bumper. Shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes your first time. Lots quicker the second time around once you know what you're doing.

CM.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:39 AM

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I don't have the HIDs and don't want to go through the conversion. Is there XENON plug ins that I can put in without any ballast mods or anything to give me a little more intense light?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 AM

My recomendation is to do the whole conversion dont do it with just bulbs they will just burn out.. When i was looking for my max thats one thing it had to have was the xenon's. its does wonders at night.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:54 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by NIKV69
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I don't have the HIDs and don't want to go through the conversion. Is there XENON plug ins that I can put in without any ballast mods or anything to give me a little more intense light?
that is called rice for a reason. your stock halogen bulb is the next best thing to HID. and changes you make will be a major downgrade. unless you're more about looking "cool" with pretend hids that give way less light output?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM

NEWBIE ALERT!!!!

If I may chime in, I just recently did the full conversion for less than $80. The bulbs/ballast came with an unbelievable 1 yr vendor (not manufacturer) warranty. The installation was simple, thanks to the many post provided by the forums. Only disadvantage was my choice of 8000k (should have chosen 6000k)
Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Blackspeed..only $80 for the full plug and play kit?? Who and where did you order yours through? And what name brand is the kit that you installed?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 PM

80$ please tell me where
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by lowpro19s
Blackspeed..only $80 for the full plug and play kit?? Who and where did you order yours through? And what name brand is the kit that you installed?
I scooped them from this flleaBay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...spagenameZWDVW I will have to post the brand name once I can get under the hood.

Last edited by BlackSpeed; 10-31-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
that is called rice for a reason. your stock halogen bulb is the next best thing to HID. and changes you make will be a major downgrade. unless you're more about looking "cool" with pretend hids that give way less light output?
... You have a maxima now; do it right the first time.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 PM

Will those $80.00 sets operate in high beams too or do you lose that function ?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Matts04Maxima
Will those $80.00 sets operate in high beams too or do you lose that function ?
If you car is like mine, you dont need a bi-xenon bulb. There is a flap that actuates when you hit the high beam allowing all of the light from the bulb to filter through the projector.. Check it, to back up my statement, the 9012 bulb only has one filament. It shines the same intensity whether it is high or low. It's the magical flapper that decides whats high or low. I kinda like that, magical flapper.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Alright... After 1 and 1/2 hours its done, me and my car got really acquainted. After tracking down some more info its complete. I found more info on the Nissan Help Forums some, said that you can remove part of the inner wheel well to access the bulbs without dropping the bumper... Yeah it was tight squeeze but it didn't work for me so there was a diagram on how to remove the bumper and it work great. In the process I broke 2 clips and for some strange reason I have 2 bolts left off... I'll post pics later tonight.

BTW 10000K... And it looks great.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 PM

Just wanted to do my part and share... I noticed alot of members say they will post pics but never do for what ever reason, I'm a man of my word so here are the pics as promised. Enjoy

Now to the real info... we all have to take the good with bad and here it is. I wanted to achieve a more exotic color and if done just that. I have noticed a huge difference in the overall appearance in the light output and color. We all know that the higher the Kelvin (K) the less light output but the color will be darker. The pics really don't do the bulbs any justice the are really blue with just a hint of purple which is the color I was looking for but it came with a cost... The price a light path that slightly was shortened but should improve with the soon to be installed LED Switchbacks that will compliment the front end nicely.

Last edited by Uptown Maxima; 11-02-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:13 PM

ok i don't know if someone else answered this but i have the stock xenon bulbs in my 05 nissan maxima. can i just replace the stock xenon bulb to 8000k or do i have to buy something else?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
ok i don't know if someone else answered this but i have the stock xenon bulbs in my 05 nissan maxima. can i just replace the stock xenon bulb to 8000k or do i have to buy something else?

If you car is equipped with HID's... All you need is replace is the bulb.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM

If you gonna replace your bulbs it would be better to replace the whole HID kit
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uptown Maxima
Alright... After 1 and 1/2 hours its done, me and my car got really acquainted. After tracking down some more info its complete. I found more info on the Nissan Help Forums some, said that you can remove part of the inner wheel well to access the bulbs without dropping the bumper... Yeah it was tight squeeze but it didn't work for me so there was a diagram on how to remove the bumper and it work great. In the process I broke 2 clips and for some strange reason I have 2 bolts left off... I'll post pics later tonight.

BTW 10000K... And it looks great.
can you please link me to the forums where it tells you how to do it without dropping the bumper? im doing this installation soon id appreciate it alot thx
Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 PM

The first step is to remove the grill. The plastic fasteners are easy to remove. If you have two small flat blade screwdrivers, like I didnt have, you put each one on one side of the center part and pull it up. Then grab it and pull the whole fastener out. Put the grill aside somewhere where you won't step on it.

Now its time to remove the whole front bumper cover. You will need a phillips screwdriver and ur small flat blades. Start on either side of the cover. First you need to have access to some of the fasteners and screws. These are hidden behind the fenderwell plastic covers. Remove the fasteners that hold the fenderwell plastic. Remove enough of them that you can pry it open to get ur arm in the TIGHT space to remove the screws.

Once you get the fenderwell trim open, there are two screws that hold the cover on. They are hard to get at, but try. Unscrew the two screws. Then go underneath and see many fasteners that hold the underside pastic tray to the bumper cover. These were harder for me to remove. But I got them undone. Now do the other side.

Good Luck
Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Incognito

i prefer to remove the wheel wells for some reason... maybe im just difficult. HID kits are pretty easy... tho mounting the ballast for the passenger side was a pain in the ***..
Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by jimmypronet
The first step is to remove the grill. The plastic fasteners are easy to remove. If you have two small flat blade screwdrivers, like I didnt have, you put each one on one side of the center part and pull it up. Then grab it and pull the whole fastener out. Put the grill aside somewhere where you won't step on it.

Now its time to remove the whole front bumper cover. You will need a phillips screwdriver and ur small flat blades. Start on either side of the cover. First you need to have access to some of the fasteners and screws. These are hidden behind the fenderwell plastic covers. Remove the fasteners that hold the fenderwell plastic. Remove enough of them that you can pry it open to get ur arm in the TIGHT space to remove the screws.

Once you get the fenderwell trim open, there are two screws that hold the cover on. They are hard to get at, but try. Unscrew the two screws. Then go underneath and see many fasteners that hold the underside pastic tray to the bumper cover. These were harder for me to remove. But I got them undone. Now do the other side.

Good Luck
are these directions to doing it without removing the whole bumper?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by gcxandrew
are these directions to doing it without removing the whole bumper?
Nope sorry.... but it would be more better to werk on it by dropping the bumper... its not that hard thou.....
Old 11-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

To remove the headights, you have to remove the front bumper. To change the bulb, tight but possible from the back...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
To remove the headights, you have to remove the front bumper. To change the bulb, tight but possible from the back...
yeah all i have to do is change the bulbs and connect the new one with the ballast, i dont really have to remove the whole headlight.

so it can be done but itll be tight... hmm im a small guy so how do you do it from the back? is it just visible?